main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    @JoJoPenelli , nothing is lost by waiting until the end to offer a surprise Rey Kenobi reveal but soooo much is lost already by having Rey & Luke be stuck on an island where any possible lineage connection between them doesn’t come up or pay off there and where even Yoda & Luke had opportunities to talk privately as Obi-Wan & Yoda did in the OT. No writer leaves all of those golden opportunities to get into Rey Sky on some level if they were moving in that direction. A significant part of the appeal of the entire concept would have been the drama of seeing those two work it out on that island and get into the actual story of Rey more there and Luke’s story more if that’s what it was going to be and they chose not to. There’s misdirection & then there’s missed opportunities & you don’t save a reveal like that for after she’s spent time with possible family members and then she learns after they’re dead. You don’t need 2 Skywalkers continuing past IX. You need more family lines and a way to tie things back toward the most underrated contributor to the entire saga... Obi-Wan. The guy who JJ personally brought in for her force back and utilized audio old and new from both Obi-Wan’s to pull off. You don’t just randomly give the other character’s name as Ben just because Harrison Ford has a son named that. Lol. You don’t have someone as connected as Breznican speculating that Kenobi is being held back until after IX by design and then have him have to walk back some of those comments because he was actually right and they didn’t want it getting out that’s why they held back on Kenobi that long and hired a romantic writer to write it.

Rey Kenobi is the only realistic one that has a chance left.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. Scavver

Scavver Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 15, 2018
    Rey Kenobi seemed to always be something that was an idea, a plan. She shared just as many traits with him as she did with Luke, but nothing can really justify her abandonment unless Obi-Wan's children were horrible people, or the parents she lived with were not her real ones. I think it should have always been Skwalker vs Kenobi with her and Kylo. It's symbolic as Ankain and Obi-Wan were called two halves of a whole just like them. If they really did scrap that, it's sad. Daisy said her origins have not changed though, so maybe she is a Kenobi and the stuff in TLJ is only part of something bigger in IX.

Valency Jane likes this.
  3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    @Ender_and_Bean

Yes - if Reynobi were revealed in 9, it will have had zero setup and connect Rey with a character whose name hasn’t even been uttered in the ST thus far.

I believe the parentage reveal was originally supposed to be at the end of TFA but was delayed. Which probably explains how awkward Rey/Luke is in TLJ despite being the key/essence/beating heart relationship in the movie. I don’t like how it was done, despite the admittedly delicious meta.

I think a natural response would be “If you think it was badly done in TLJ, isn’t that a big sign that you’re wrong?” Except that this theory, imo (ofc) fits the movie far better than any alternate explanation.

ETA: Rey has been very blatantly mirroring Luke. Not something you do with a character who’s related to a different legacy character.

4. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    I also read somewhere that we were not supposed to have Kylo revealed as Ben Solo until VIII, but Ford wanted his character killed off, so I think that might have influenced the change and reveal of Ben in VII.

5. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Rey was defending herself. She was tied down.Kylo could just get away from her any time he wanted.. Don't use Rey being an "enemy" as an excuse. She's only an enemy because he decided to become evil in the first palace.
    Never thought I hear torture described as "no big deal". Considering in the real world people debelop PTSD from it. As far as the joke in the comic I view that as a "you have to laugh to keep from crying" kind of thing.

11-4D, Miriedis, Benoda and 7 others like this.
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Kylo stooped so low on that fated bridge.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    It's fact. Rey had info the enemy needed, Rey was an enemy to Kylo and he saw she had seen the map when he first probed her in the forest, so he did what an enemy would do. It's no big deal because in the novel Rey was fine and even felt relaxed after he stormed off. She wasn't traumatized by it. She even acted like "yeah he tortured me too" to Poe as if they were sharing a common taste in music. Rey is too strong for that.

8. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    Like I said she's only an enemy because he decided to become evil in the first place. I don't know why you bring up the reason. I couldnt care less what the reason was. What does how you feel after being tortured have to do with anything? That's not the torture part.

11-4D, godisawesome , wobbits and 3 others like this.
  9. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    Thus his actions were that of an enemy.

10. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    So, how does that make what he did ok? She's an enemy to him because of his choices. So whatever he does is on him. You can't blame it on her being an enemy.

11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Everyone involved including cast & crew are being good advocates for the company and protecting the secret. Boyega especially but also Johnson for the junkers moments to throw everyone off when the big reveal is that the ST has always been about two sets of unrelated grandkids of the PT.

There was no reason at all for Rey to be the only one with a non US accent and for Finn to change his to US. As people started zeroing in on that more Boyega came out and tried to debunk things but he’s just being a good soldier & everyone is keeping it a surprise.

Part of the reason I suspect Hamill isn’t sure if he should come back has more to do with how he’s now the Kenobi to the grandchild of Kenobi. If he was the father there would he no speculation and they would have left Snoke around for Luke. No father holds onto a secret as big as that as their child is running off to see Snoke and Kylo Ren! lol. Come on.

It’s Reynobi. It’s the only eat forward & is the easiest to pull off without significant talk of missed opportunities since it will be more of a pleasant surprise for people who aren’t only happy for her but also for his name to live on & because there is no missed opportunity with her if she’s his granddaughter. Nobody goes back and thinks, “She was with her aunt & dad and nobody told her anything” with Rey Kenobi. A line many thought has no heir is brought back to life with it. It has enough ingredients they can point to in order to make work & then the Kenobi film can setup part of the story in greater detail there. Expect a British brunette who looks like an older Daisy Ridley to be cast for Kenobi and announced within 6-12 months of Episode IX’s release.

Hopeless and Scavver like this.
  12. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    Who said it was ok? Rey was not burdened by it, but she never forgot it either. She simply moved on to things that were more important to her than a past incident with a man she now saw differently.

13. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    I got it all figured out guys. Rey and Kylo will have a secret baby which Leia is looking after at a hidden base. That's why she's not in the movie until the 3rd act. Rey names her son Luke because she was so inspired by his sacrifice on Crait. Kylo and the Knights of Ren are Hell bent on finding baby Luke.

Star Wars - Episode 9: The Hidden Skywalker

14. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    It's TFA all over again!

15. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    From a storytelling aspect, you are exactly right. Aside from Han's death, the events of TFA were definitely in the past for Rey as she moved along in TLJ. Same with Kylo having any issue or need for vengeance for Rey gashing his face in half. If it is relevant to the storytelling, it is brought up. The farther back in the narrative without major mention, the less significant an event becomes in the over-arcing story.

Han's death: looms big still with Kylo and his quest to extinguish the light.
    interrogations, lost duels, destroyed faces: not so much.

This is where storytelling and reality don't necessarily line up. What may be a huge event that is transformative in real life may just be a blip on the radar to further an entirely different plot point in a film or story.

16. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    See that's how I viewed it. I would read Marvel comics growing up, or watch Batman or some super hero show and the heroes and villains would always move forward from things I would never see myself doing if it was real. That's why I try not to look at SW with too much focus on reality because it begins to complicate things, and if they tried to make the movies based more on how people react in reality, then it gets too dark or too depressing and the feeling of hope is lost. Heroes and Villains teaming up has always been a thing, and something I loved, so Rey and Kylo putting their personal issues aside for a greater reason just fits with that type of story.

Valency Jane and Birkendoc like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think there is a big difference between the idea that they could team up to help the Resistance—an idea I think many people could get on board with, if done well—and the idea of them forming a personal relationship of any kind.

18. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    The relationship is likely part of redemption for Ben, but the way things are going, I am expecting IX to be left open now regarding who ends up with who.

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Hey we're back in business. No Kenobi movie. Bummer.

Jedi Knight Fett and Scavver like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That relationship being part of the redemption is exactly what I don’t want. If he redeems himself separately from Rey, then goes to her with an offer to help the Resistance, and has to prove himself trustworthy, it could work.

I want to see a redemption for him based on a thought process and moral realization, not emotions, and not a bad-trope role on Rey’s part.

21. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    I think the one way it could work is after getting to know Rey, letting the light in a bit more and likely continuing to be haunted by his previous atrocities, it will all build up to his big choice at the end. Basically Han's touch of forgiveness, Rey's eyes filled with hope and Luke's facing him after so many years will build up, but the decision should ultimately always be his alone.

Birkendoc likes this.
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Popular US comedian Tiffany Haddish starts feeling her own strong connection to Ben Solo & Rey isn’t having any of that!

=D=

23. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Ideas are popping up a few places where Rey is now being seen as Han's daughter through a different mother, mostly the new character from Solo Q'ira. Claims there are many similarities between her and Rey. "A sister, yes sister" lol. Not sure I buy it though

Scavver likes this.
  24. Scavver

Jun 15, 2018
    I've seen them. Like Daisy said, any dark-haired woman with a British accent always ends up her mother. [face_laugh]

25. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I’ll be terribly amused if her mom *does* end up being an existing character :p

godisawesome likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.