main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Yoda looks at Palpatine in AOTC, how do you interpret that whole scene?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Bridge 167, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    At the beginning of AOTC when Padme, The Jedi, and Palpatine are discussing the assassination attempt on her life, there is one thing that always struck me on whether it was intentional or not by Lucas?

Padme starts talking and Palpatine mimics her word for word, "The Situation is that serious..." The problem is he says it a split second before she does almost like he is reading her mind.

Do you think Lucas purposely put these subtle hints in there:

Did Palpatine slip up and exposing his possible darkside powers in front of EVERYONE?

Does Yoda look at him thinking it was odd that Palpatine finished her sentence?

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I don't think so - at this point they knew each other well enough for Palpatine to know where the conversation was going. I also get the feeling similar conversations had already been had.

I do think Yoda looks at him suspiciously, I don't think the Jedi trusted him all that much but thought he was just another power hungry politician - not a Sith.

3. Rossini18

Rossini18 Jedi Knight

Jan 3, 2016
    Yoda was trusting of him, but always a little guarded of him. It doesn't appear that he thinks he is a Sith though, although he may have found it odd that Palpatine was able to react that quickly, but then again, it was almost spoken word for word by her before he interrupted her, so it really wasn't that suspicious. Politicians interrupt each other all the time, ha ha.

Darth Bridge 167 likes this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Yoda just wasn't buying his overabundant concern for Padme. Basically seeing it as a slimy political move rather than a malicious sithly one.

At least how I view it.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think Yoda is "suspicious" about Palpatine (something isn't quite right with this guy") but he has no idea he is a Sith Lord or is playing both sides in the Clone War.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I thought at the time that Yoda tried to see beyond the façade that Palpatine put up and saw nothing, no ambitions, no motives, no nothing. At that point Yoda begins to lose his trust in Palpatine but he doesn't know why, which makes later scenes in ROTS more pertinent when Sidious is revealed and he's been under the noses of the Jedi all along.

7. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I think so too. Yoda mentions that the Senator is in grave danger. He is also wary that the dark side clouds events and seeing the future. I think he is also somewhat dubious about this Chancellor, who despite his appearance as a friendly chap, is a cunning politician.

Yes I think Yoda senses some interference and dark hand behind events. That, or else Yoda could also be annoyed that Palpatine just interrupts the conversation he was having.

In grave danger you are and...

May I suggest that the Senator be place under the protection of your graces?

Yoda thinks:
    (Hmm manners this Chancellor does not have. Get angry I will not. One day, gone this Palpatine will be. Frustrate me with his interruptions he does. Respect for one's elders, disappeared it has over these years!

Power! Huh! Speeches! Huh! A Chancellor craves not these things!)

Christus Regnet likes this.
  8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    "If tea I wanted, he never asked. Who he think he is?" :p

That shot always reminds me of the awesome "Breathing" Teaser trailer. Great CG character acting by the team.