main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unable to post on PC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Revanfan1, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Just as the title says. I am able to post on my phone, but this afternoon, my laptop stopped letting me post here. There's not even a box to type in, even though I'm logged in. I tried logging out and back in, and I tried restarting my computer. Neither worked. What should I do?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Try clearing your cookies and and refreshing the site.

Posted from my PC.

3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    No dice.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    One option may be that your browser's setting for the site changed. You could always try clicking on the TFNJC icon in the lower left of the bottom of the page and trying different settings options.

Also: Try opening the forums on a different browser. If you usually open the internet on Explorer, try Firefox. If you usually use Firefox, try Chrome. Etc.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Any luck with this? It does sound like a cookie issue to me. Try clearing any associated with boards.theforce.net.

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Which icon are you referring to? Sorry, don't mean to sound dense, I just can't find it. I'll try a different browser.
    No luck. Clearing the cookies didn't seem to work.

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Since your silver star shows you as being a veteran member, worth asking, did you visit the Temp Boards?

Your problem sounds like the symptoms of whenever I did that.

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Temp boards? I don't think so.

EDIT: Interesting! Firefox is allowing me to post here. Internet Explorer is my default browser and it's what I've always used to post on the boards, and it's what stopped working yesterday. But Firefox is working! That's odd.

EDIT again: This seems to be a less than ideal solution. Firefox is letting me post but it also doesn't seem to want to load this site or any other site. It keeps giving me errors and I have to refresh the page. Because of course nothing can be easy. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Every single time IE does an update it becomes less compatible with these forums. Which is why swapping browsers was one of my first recommendations. Try opening it on Chrome. Firefox is compatible enough but Chrome is generally devoid of issues related to here.

Revanfan1 and G-FETT like this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I use Firefox but it's an older version. Site seems to be OK for me. What kind of errors are you getting?

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Internet Explorer is basically obsolete at this point (not just on this website but the internet in general) Do yourself a favour and change to a new browser as your default like Firefox, Chrome or Edge.

Time to say goodbye to legacy internet and hello to the modern internet. You'll find its the best thing you ever did. [face_party]

If you have problems across browsers and affecting all or most websites then I'd recommenced downloading some anti-virus software like Malwarebytes Free Edition cause it sounds like your overall machine l might be a bit poorly... The fact you've been using IE as your default browser is a concern as IE is far less "secure" compared to modern browsers and could act as a pathway for infection.

Good luck. :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    jcgoble3 and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Seems to be working fine now, actually! I restarted my computer after I installed Firefox and that seemed to fix the issues.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Excellent news!

G-FETT and Revanfan1 like this.