main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Krueger, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    @jasonfry so Mr. Fry, now that the book has been out over a month, care to tell us the story of one Mr. Keyser Salm?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Someone in this very thread got it shortly after the book came out. Red Two at Endor is apparently portrayed by the same guy who plays Gray Leader. So I made them brothers. A geeky little lore thing, but there was a way to address it that helped the story I wanted to tell, so why not?

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    BTW I'm lousy at monitoring my notifications so if you ever want to ask me something, feel free to also give me a heads-up via a message. I don't mind.

That said, a couple of guidelines please:
    * I prefer to answer stuff in a public forum, so please just use messages as an "in case you missed it."
    * Sometimes I ignore stuff because I can't or shouldn't answer it or even weigh in.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Finally finished this today. I thought it was pretty good.

5. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Very gracious of you to stay in touch, so. I'm very impressed by Rendezvous Point also, which is giving me a lot of old Legends feels.
    I'd like to ask your thoughts on the demise of Hobbie, to some degree, perhaps? As well as the return, and killing off, of Barlon Hightower, if you have no objection?
    Also, if possible, some insight into the Story Group's involvement into both Rise of Skywalker and Duel of the Fates? (optional)

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Glad you liked it, thanks! Re Hobbie, he was supposed to die in ESB, in a scene that was apparently never shot but survives in the novelization. So LFL didn't so much overwrite Legends as return to the intent of the story that introduced him. With that change having been made (or, more properly, unmade), there was no question of my "saving" him. But Hobbie meant a lot to me as a Legends character, and I know other people felt the same way. So I decided to honor his importance to both characters and readers by having his loss impact Wedge and Janson. Plus it worked for the story -- I'm careful about digging into lore for its own sake, particularly in a short story where words are precious. A reference, choice of characters, detail, etc. has to either be invisible to casual readers, support the storytelling, or ideally both.

Hightower was a little different -- I needed a roster of pilots, I wanted a fun scene of Wedge and Janson putting the roster together, and I knew several of the pilots they picked wouldn't survive. The ones we'll meet again in ROTJ were obviously safe, so that left the others as potential casualties. Hightower had some appearances in Legends, but nothing so iconic that it cried out to be preserved. He was a pull from lore that veteran fans would spot but casual readers didn't need to know. A free bingo square, if you will.

I know zero with regards to your other question, and if I did it's the kind of thing I'd have to duck anyway. But hope the rest is at least some help!

Bor Mullet, ZV-83, DLCV and 9 others like this.
  7. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    That's okay. In retrospect, that latter was clearly more a question suited to Pablo Hildalgo, so forget that one.
    I also assume we can expect you back for the RotJ: ACPOV in a few years... any ideas on characters for that one?

8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I definitely have an idea for ROTJ, but need to keep it under wraps for now -- and it's not like I have a guaranteed spot in that book. Would love to do it, so here's hoping!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    When (not if) they do ROTJ: FACPOV, the Battle of Endor is going to be a harvest :)

I hope that we get more on Blade Squadron, Corona Squadron, Yellow Group, Riot Squadron, Gray Squadron, Blue Squadron and even Gold Squadron during the battle. Plus, ships and ships AND ships! I shall gorge happily on any new stuff to Endor since it's my favourite battle in the entire SW franchise (alongside Geonosis and Exegol).

my kind of scum likes this.
  10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Was expecting to get this one as an Xmas gift this year and so I didn't buy it. Had to order it today, though, as it didn't appear under the tree. Looking forward to finally diving in once it arrives.

11. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Just read the story about Ozzel.
    Was it just me, or it was very reminiscent of The Longest Fall?

12. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Just started reading this, will give a proper review when I'm finished. Only three stories in but loving it.

13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    There are some good books in today’s Star Wars fiction world - Dawson, Gray, Rucka, Revis and Golden for example have written some very compelling books.

But I have to say that the From a Certain Point of View stories are the best of the literature. Really great little glimpses of the in-between stories, and most are very competently written.

These should be adapted into a series of short films someday. I doubt they’d justify the money it would take to do them in live action (though that’d be a dream), but an animated series of shorts would be doable and great.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yea, I really enjoy these books & can't wait for the next one.

15. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Oh Rendezvous Point, I love you.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Wow! Rendezvous Point by Jason is absolutely great. The writing of the pilot banter (and pranks) is hilarious and realistic, and it’s just really well done.

Seth Dickinson’s The Final Order is also top, top quality writing for Star Wars ancillary material. Getting into the head of that bitter old Officer, and the tension with the fanatical young one.

This is hands down some of the best writing of the new EU.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Based on the pattern so far - due 2023.

18. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Yes was coming in to say The Final Order is similarly fantastic. If Rendezvous Point is a love letter to Allston/Stackpole, The Final Order is a love letter to Matt Stover. Shatterpoint and Traitor references were fantastic.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Lol. Had no idea that @jasonfry frequented this forum when I issued the previous bit of high praise. So no flattery filter there. Goes to show that I really, actually, definitely loved it!

Dream-Thinker and jasonfry like this.
  20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Great to hear, thanks. When you don't like something, though, please don't pull a punch because I drop in now and again. Hearing that is part of the job.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Don’t worry. As most who know me here can attest, I tend to punch more than praise. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    jasonfry likes this.
  22. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Mods if not allowed to self-promoted feel free to remove, but I recorded a review of this book if people were interested:

Definitely my favourite story! It was absolutely fantastic.

jasonfry and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    What I really found interesting was the Bespin chapters how the residents view of Vader, some thinking him a myth.

24. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I didn't mind that, although there was one story with someone thinking he was a myth and almost ridiculing the notion of a lightsaber, but at the end of the story casually talking about the Clone Wars and the Jedi, didn't quite sync up for me.

It did seem a bit inconsistent between stories about who knew who Vader was, or Fett was, with some stories playing them off as myths or hardly known people, and others treating them as virtual celebrities.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  25. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yea, I'd have to go back and look at each one to see. It by no means bothered me that some thought Vader a myth but it caught my eye. I do see your point though. I'd have to back and check which it was.

Xander Vos likes this.