main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ To Move Back into Production with Reshoots in Ireland

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by OldTimeFan, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Well he most likely got the gist of the ending he wanted (the characters all sacrificing themselves), but there were tonal shifts due to hear reshoots. The changed ending of them sitting on the beach together before blowing up is pretty cheesey. Would have just rather seen Cassian get shot up by the bunker doors. The remixed ending combined with the fact that Ben M. Said a "very different version" exist is enough to convince me Disney got cold feet in a few things.

Rogue One in general makes me nervous for all future Star Wars movies. Not just it's ending

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If I would be a director of such a movie (and almost unlimited budget) I would do reshoots for every single scene that is not 120%.
    I think that is exactly what they do now (+ correcting some Carrie story, maybe)

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Given how good it was, Rogue One in general makes me optimistic for all future Star Wars movies.

4. Good Blaster

Oct 18, 2015
    Technically this isn't the thread to discuss it, but Rogue One was not a good film. It was massive amounts of fan service so I can see why hardcore fans of "all things Star Wars' got so worked up over it. Great looking film, but the characters and script are bland. It's not bad, but it is extremely run of the mill.

5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Everything depends on where in Ireland and Scotland they are shooting. For example, if there are reshoots at Isle of Sky in Scotland, I can't see that relating to Leia at all. And Ireland? All we know is that they built an Ach-To set in Ireland which would, again, signify it has nothing to do with Leia. One could EASILY speculate the reshoots have to do with the Ach-To scenes. That would be MUCH safer of a bet.

Purely speculation and not based on anything meaningful at that.

6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Your opinion. And both my wife and a colleague, the former a film critic and the latter a cineaste (neither of whom are SW fans at all) felt RO was not only that best and most nuanced SW film (from both a character and narrative perspective) - but an excellent film in general. So this myth that it only works as fan service for hardcore fans is a myth.

7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This tangent about the merits (or lack thereof) of Rogue One doesn't really belong here...

8. burg2774

burg2774 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008

Yeah I have to agree, Dagobah (Pinewood) for me is magic, now granted it was first viewed by my then 7 yo eyes in the theater in 1980, but those scenes in particular still give me goosebumps today. Maybe its the totality; the acting (still hard to believe its a just Frank Oz, a puppet and Mark Hamil), the soundtrack, and the set, but I'll take that good old fashion movie magic mixed with real world locations any day.

nightangel likes this.
  9. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think the opening scene was atrocious, but it clearly was shot in a studio lot. Everything felt small and cramped due to the camera work in that scene. It just wasn't executed well at all.

Sent from my communication device on which I hardly do any communicating.

B3 likes this.
  10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    there are reshoots because RJ has decided to make a 3+ hour epic. He wants to make the Braveheart of SW.:p

11. Good Blaster

Oct 18, 2015
    There were characters in Rogue One?

12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Was the general note upthread not clear enough? This is not a thread for discussing Rogue One, and certainly not a thread for baiting.

13. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes, 3+ hours of badass Luke. =D=

starocean90 likes this.
  14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I find it bizarre how twitchy people get about re-shoots/pick-ups.
    Obviously Rogue One was extensively rejigged, but that seems to have made people forget, again, that pick-ups and re-jigs are all part of the process (and that dealing with real world intrusions into the making of the film are realities all the time, just more obvious to us when it's something like the sad news about Carrie Fisher's death)

It's not like after principal photography, all of fandom *knows* that RJ has just bottled lightning, and the only hope is that the genius he's filmed makes it to the cinema intact. The material filmed is the building blocks of the film, and the pick ups are to make everything hold together more tightly.

my kind of scum likes this.
  15. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Especially since a major cast member has died. To be honest, I would be worried if we didn't get significant reshoots.

16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Maybe they want closure that a verbal reference in IX can't give an honorable and more dramatic punch.

17. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    So long as the reshoots don't mean actors in obviously fake beards and wigs being haphazardly edited into scenes shot months ago, a la AOTC, i'm pretty cool with whatever they do.

18. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Finally has this none rumour died?

Someone mentioned MSW saying reshoots are scheduled for 2017 in Ireland, I don't know about that or specifics but it was believed that there was a small window allocated to shoot in Ireland if needed. As far as i'm aware no shoot has taken place this year in Ireland...[face_dunno]

starocean90 likes this.
  19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    There was one in North Dublin. Late February:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/853934/

20. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    [face_rofl]

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6