main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST “A New Awakening” - Star Wars Episode IV and VII Shot Comparison

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mykillmyers, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I would agree with that. The remote doesn't bother me too much, but you wouldn't miss it. And the Dejarik table is oversold, especially with Chewie's reaction to it. And yeah, I'm not a fan of the Rathtars (I wish Chewie had hurled the dude that Hand punched out into the Rathtar's mouth), but I really like the deal with Death Gang and KanjiKlub.

2. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Much, much more.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  3. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think TFA does borrow more in terms of structural echoes and the search for a droid and the obvious offender AKA Starkiller Base. But there is a definite hypocrisy (which probably cuts both ways to be fair) from some who were lauding ring theory as proof of George's genius but who cannot abide when someone else uses similar echoes and rhyming. Personally, I think other than the "Death Star" and "Trash Compactor" the echoes are deployed more organically in TFA - but I can see that George's echoes in the PT, while often clunky and shoehorned in IMO, are surrounded by a more unique story.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think relative age has anything to do with what I'm highlighting. Of course films are a product of their time, but it's like comparing Bride of Frankenstein to Victor Frankenstein and stating that the difference is one looks like it made in the 1935, the other in 2015. And whilst that may be factually accurate, it's kind of reducing the cinematic differences to their most rudimentary and surface form. Which for me is the main problem with TFA (in my opinion).

Darth Pig and Ezon Pin like this.
  5. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    PJ - can you clarify what you mean when you say you feel TFA is mediocre/ bland/ commercial, etc? Obviously we disagree, but I'm not baiting - I'm genuinely baffled as when I watch TFA, I think it looks great - and in the specifics of those comparisons, I honestly don't feel TFA comes off second best (whilst appreciating that ANH set the benchmark in the first place).

6. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Not only is this video using a bootleg (pirated) version of A New Hope (the despecialized edition) it's also using a pirated version of the TFA Blu-Ray.

7. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Without going into the detail, as I'm not sure this is the thread, the difference for me is in terms of composition/framing, use of perspective and lighting (and I'm certainly not a lover of Abrams over use of colour correction). In my opinion, comparing the Tantive IV sequence with the start of TFA is an apt example of the differences. ANH, for me, being of a much higher standard in terms of the 'art' of it (although I don't doubt Abrams technical ability). I am of course generalising, as Abrams doesn't treat every shot and scene the same (some of the Jakku sequences seem much more considered), but I do think the opening sequence of TFA is typical of Abrams style, and the style of TFA overall. And again I'd draw comparison with a very similar section within Maze Runner 2 which, in my humble opinion, is directed by Wes Ball with a bit more artistic flare in terms of how the scene is lit, how a sense of perspective is built into the frame etc. (although I prefer TFA overall).

Satipo likes this.
  8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I love that video. I think there are plenty of ESB and RotJ comparisons to be made as well, but still that video was just pretty to watch. The obvious ANH inspiration seems kind of like a tribute to me, which I love because I adore ANH.

PymParticles and Satipo like this.
  9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I certainly see it as a tribute. I can appreciate that tribute may not be a good thing to some, or certainly not that level of tribute. But I don't get the "lazy" or "disrespect" vibe that some body around at all.

Fair enough, PJ. I'm still struggling as I guess these things are fairly subjective and to me I get more of a Spielberg vibe than a Wes Ball one, but each to their own.

PymParticles likes this.
  10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I wasn't comparing Abrams to Ball, but suggesting that Ball shot similar scenes with a bit more artistic consideration (and at half the cost). And whilst I've always said that Abrams at least tries to make his films 'cinematic', which I personally appreciate, again this is often at the expense of something more compelling (IMO). I certainly don't think TFA is "lazy" or shows Star Wars a "disrespect", I just believe that Abrams distils it into something so thin it feels like a medley... and I think this is ultimately driven by a film studio who wanted TFA to kickstart a production line/factory process for their Star Wars brand.

voices77 and Satipo like this.
  11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Hmmm. I can see that the studio wanted to get things moving and a return on their investment, but while I can understand the medley comment, I (of course) disagree about how thin it is. And just speaking personally, I think this studio effort nailed a SW adventure better than anything since Jedi, so while it certainly could have been more distinctive and arguably bolder in forging its own path forwards, I guess each of us takes something different from SW.

I should also clarify that I don't think JJ is on Spielberg's level, just that that was the vibe I got.

PymParticles likes this.
  12. Italian Ackbar

Italian Ackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    It rhymes

Inviato dal mio SM-J500FN utilizzando Tapatalk

Ezon Pin likes this.
  13. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    One of the reasons I love TFA so much was because it felt like an OT Star Wars movie. That was very important to me. Yes, the storyline is a mix of ANH and TESB, but as someone has previously stated, the effectiveness of the new characters against this familiar backdrop is a triumph. TFA reintroduced Star Wars exactly how I wanted it to in terms of style and tone. As long as episodes 8 and 9 don't echo previous storylines too blatantly, but retain the style of TFA, it'll be a fantastic trilogy.

14. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015
  15. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Uhhhh...Thats a good video buuuut.....

He is missing something.

16. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The biggest take away from the video for me is how much J.J. moves the camera. Many times Lucas keeps the camera stationary and lets the action play out in front of it. J.J. is constantly moving the camera either rotating around the actors like an episode of ER or dollying in like Spielberg, even on minor characters. Not sure if it's J.J.'s personal style, more advance cameras and cranes that allow for more fluidity, or a combination of both. If Lucas had the same technology in 1976 he might have moved the camera more as he did in the Prequels. Not saying one is better than the other but it was something I noticed.

reyskywalkers likes this.
  17. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

What? tell me?

Because i feel Stuckman nailed it.

18. reyskywalkers

reyskywalkers Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2016
    I like this video a lot. It shows how you can make callbacks to the original aesthetic but make it your own. I don't think it's too much like the original at all.

I noticed this as well, but I realized it around my 3rd viewing of TFA. It gives off a completely different feel than OT because it's shot this way. I'm pretty sure this is a JJ thing. I like a combination of both long, moving shots and still shots, depending on what the scene calls for. In my opinion, Lucas was a bit too static with the PT, JJ was just a little bit too much with the movement. Can't wait to see what Rian does with EP8 :)

19. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016

[​IMG]

20. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    One thing I just need to say about TFA - luckily JJ Abrams did not place too many of those irritating lens flare, unlike what happened in 2009's Star Trek movie (too many of them)! [face_laugh]
    [​IMG]

DarthCricketer and Ezon Pin like this.
  21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I really don't care how similar they are because I enjoy the hell out of both of them & so do most other people....

22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There are superficial similarities to ANH, but I'm personally more interested in its similarities to ROTS. TFA is rife with them!

23. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    These similarities, many of which really are not (Luke - Liea does not equal Finn - Poe, C3PO is a droid and should not be compared to humans, some of the shot comparisons have hugely different story context, some are just weak), were discussed by Abrams and some of them even pointed out as being really worked hard on to get right without being the same. This is not a revelation just a compilation (and a portion of which is a bit of a stretch).

We have discussed this so many times that I wonder if a compilation such as that which generated this thread, serves any purpose other than to point out what we all know: Disney / Lucasfilm did exactly what they intended to do: introduce the new trilogy and give new life to the Star Wars movie franchise in a way to insure fan enjoyment, spark new interest in the franchise, and justify their huge outlay. Abrams was up front on what he was doing with the transition. The rather superficial similarities gives some nostalgia while introducing new characters, and launching the new story which will now take up in VIII.

I really enjoyed both movies, and both the similarities and the differences. In my opinion I see VII as echoing ANH, ESB, and part of ROTJ, while opening a new story and introducing the next generation. The similarites (the real ones) only enhanced my experience. Now I am ready to leave the transition and move forward.

Nate787 and Satipo like this.
  24. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    It's a very well done video. I think all the Star Wars movies closely echo each other. And in many ways, this is a good thing. It's supposed to a have consistent feel throughout the saga.
    The prequels, especially AOTC and ROTS had so much jarring green screen work that it was hard to picture Kamino (inside), Mustafar, Mygeeto in the same universe as the originals. The cartoon effort with the clones didn't look great then and aren't aging well. Abrams captured the look and feel of the originals and made it believable.

I think others have echoed a legit complaint. The story could feel more original, although I think if there's a story to emulate: it's A New Hope. For my taste, it still had key differences and new characters I feel in love with. I also loved the journey of finding Luke.

JabbatheHumanBeing, TX-20 and Satipo like this.
  25. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    Is the intent of this to show that this is a bad thing or something? 4 minutes of visual references to the OT out of a 2.3 hour movie, a lot of which have zero to do with the plot and are just visual mirroring such as a cloaked figure coming through a door. These visual cues to the OT help reinforce the themes of legacy and history repeating itself so to me it enhances the film big time, and in no way takes away from it whatsoever. I especially loved the meta nature of this movie, embracing the impact on our own
    Pop culture and translating it into the Star Wars universe was both brilliant and something I don't think I've ever seen before in my life done in this way. Making the previous villian a martyr that Kylo is obsessed with and wants to pattern himself off of yet under the cloak is a completely different monster just gave me chills and made him my favorite villain of the entire saga including Vader. It's really weird to me that people notice the visual cues to the past but don't ask themselves why they are doing it. Every time I watch this film I love it more.

JediLight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.