main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST “A New Awakening” - Star Wars Episode IV and VII Shot Comparison

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mykillmyers, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm sorry 2 sound negative but the third time isn't the charm. I forgot the name of the YouTube video but something like 80% of the plot/story borrows from ANH with another 9% from the rest of the OT and PT. So only 11% non rehash.

This movie wasn't just mirroring, it was reheating.

If I was Isner and saw the end result. I wood of told them instead 2 make a straight up reboot starting with Episode 1 with a 14 year old Anakin with a mother AND father.

LawgSkrak likes this.
  2. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

Fortunately you weren't in that position to cost us a great movie and Disney billions.

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, the fact the film clearly resonated and is considered (gasp!) a genuinely good movie by the majority of critics and general audiences seems to be lost on some. Nothing wrong with not liking the movie but a little more acknowledgement that the film is genuinely popular, liked and well considered critically - as opposed to: people will lap up anything/ because x-wingz / the critics were bribed might be nice.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    isner?

HanSolo29 and Satipo like this.
  5. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    So true

I keep hearing from DC fans how BvS resonated with them compared to the critics and they point to the audience score on RT being so much higher than critics. TFA's audience score is 20% higher!!

I never rag on anyone for not liking a movie, infact I find the butthurt of DC fans towards people who didn't like the film really pathetic but for sure with TFA, that 10% who didn;t like it contained a small percentage of people who were never going to like it. You only have to point at the organized campaign to mark down all positive reviews on IMDB and upvote all reviews trashing it for evidence of that.

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I hated the Revenant on certain levels. For me to act like it didn't legit work like gangbusters for many others (critics and general audience) would be disingenuous.

PymParticles and JediLight like this.
  7. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Wait is it Eger? Who ever the heck the CEO at Disney is now.

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    iger.

Satipo likes this.
  9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    D'oh!!!!!!!

10. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

It really was overrated. But I think I had conflicted/biased emotions with it. I thought the movie got more credit then it deserved at the Academy, where the TFA got less credit.

11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ah, I could appreciate the film making but it didn't connect with me at all. Which is fine. Not everything will. But I'm not about to act like my opinion is the only sane take on it and in any way reflective of the general consensus on it.

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Both films got the credit they deserved (IMO) based on those that were casting the votes. If it was a popular vote, then perhaps TFA would have faired better.

13. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, I'm not going to complain about noms and awards for either.

14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

PJ how did you feel about Revenant? I thought, character wise and visually, it was pretty good. I don't think it's over hyped as it's been quite awhile since something this original was popular.

15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I really enjoyed The Revenant, though certainly not my favourite film of the last 12 months. A visually striking piece of brutal storytelling. I understand why some may find it too brutal, or even too slow, but that doesn't take away from its technical merits.

Satipo and Ezon Pin like this.
  16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Technically, it's astonishing.

17. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Hmm...How about on the story elements?

18. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    The Revenant was a good movie. The locations drove the story as well as the cinematography. However, it was a bit too long. Some of the situations became tedious, and at times I wanted to yell, "I get it. You're really messed up and hurting. Move on!" I can see some of its nominations, and DiCaprio did a good job showing how many ways someone can have pain and fortitude, but honestly I think the award hype was a bit much. The story is rather simplistic, the dialog can be written on the back of an envelope. This film to me was all about construction, direction, and acting to enhance a simple plot.

19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I felt exactly the same. After a gripping 40 mins, a key event happened that left me totally cold and uninvolved for the rest of the (beautifully shot and well-acted film) and as a result, the pacing became an absolute slog at times. I came close to walking out.

Dagobah Dragonsnake likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Elemental is probably how I'd describe it. I personally enjoy drama that's driven by a fairly simple story. What did you think?

21. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Pretty neat, but some of those were quite a stretch.

"LOOK! BB-8 rolled just like R2-D2 from left to right. LOOK! Darth Vader choke-slammed a dude just as Kylo Ren cut him with his lightsab... um, well that kinda... LOOK!..."

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, just as there was with Ring Theory, there is a fair amount of stretching in that video. That's not to deny there are echoes with the OT (and a few with ROTS) though.

PymParticles and Dranem like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Remember to keep this about comparisons between ANH & TFA.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's far more that some visuals cues of IV or just the OT. It's from I-VI in visuals and storytelling elements of all kinds in character, plot, music and anything else one can think of.

Why? Because that was their intent. They wanted and made a PT/OT hybrid movie.

They had little time to actually make the movie. It was in rush from the start and they could have used at least another year.

In that time the smartest thing to do was to use elements of everything Star Wars was and use that as the base for this new trilogy.

So for what they wanted to do they did a very good production of doing what was.

So the question becomes what will the progression?

25. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    In all fairness while I'd agree it would be a stretch in isolation, the context for/placement in the already homage heavy opening sequence is what makes it kind of hard to ignore for some. The Storm Trooper brigade led by the Dark Side apprentice attacking to retrieve vital information that a key rebel agent is tasked with transporting to their base, said rebel putting into a droid for safe-keeping that escapes into some godforsaken desert, etc. Antilles and Tekka being the important guy in the area Vader/Kylo confronts personally first (Before meeting the rebel agent he takes captive) after the brunt of the fighting who he demands the whereabouts of the data from and murders after he doesn't comply. You don't necessarily have to agree of course, but to others like me it isn't so out of left-field to compare because of stuff like that. Perhaps that sort of thing could be a factor in how other potential parallels are perceived by different people as well and that's where some of the differences of opinion are coming from, but who knows.

Darth PJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.