main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST “Caro” character casting call for Ep IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, May 4, 2018.

1. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    First of all, I just want to say that when I wrote that post I did so thinking only of how the characters are currently balanced in the ST and what would make the most sense based on that. I do recognize that there are wider, real world, representation issues that I did not take into account when writing that post. My intention was never to offend and if I have done so then I apologize whole heartedly.

With that said, is there really anything wrong with a (presumably) black woman playing a villain? As long as the role is well written and meaningful is it really a bad thing? We need more black female heroes, in Star Wars and in movies in general, that's true, and we should always strive for greater representation. But should black actresses not have the chance to portray villains because there haven't been enough black female heroes? Should one limit the other?

I'm all for a black female hero in Star Wars, I love and respect that the new movies and TV shows are more inclusive than they have ever been, we've come a long way and there's still further to go, but the story must come first. If "Caro" is to be a lead role then does it really make sense to add another hero to the Resistance when there are already so many other heroes competing for screen time?

Maybe she is Lando's daughter (that would be pretty cool) and/or maybe it's more of a Maz in TFA size role. In those circumstances I could see a new hero being added. But if this is a lead role, something similar in size to Rose's in TLJ, then that's a lot of lead heroes to juggle and we only have two name villains, one of whom is likely to be redeemed. Obviously I know nothing about IX's story but just based on what is left after TLJ a villain role for a potential new lead just makes the most sense to me.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    KSennia likes this.
  2. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I can see both sides, I think. Black villains getting bested by white heroes when there aren't any black heroes does look bad. I know it annoys me when Supergirl does it. But it was fine in Black Panther. So it would prolly be best to wait until we get a Rey who is a character of color and then she can go up against a villain of color. At least until the day when diverse casting is totally normal and no one automatically thinks, "oh, look there's one new black or Asian character who has popped up among this all white crowd. They're either the villain or the one who's gonna bite it.
    We do have Finn and Rose as heroes, sort of, so if the black villain mainly tangled with them in their B storyline it might work. Might make their storyline more exciting.
    Though that has it's own problems.
    Hope they don't cover her up in alien makeup!
    I think I'm voting for force-sensitive who has already started her own jedi squad who runs into Rey and helps her. Bonus points if she's on some sort of quest/has something she wants and isn't just Rey's best friend.
    But don't make her seem friendly then betray everyone, then have a change of heart and help again. That's been done to death.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.