main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Artist • The Art of HanSolo29 • (**Updated**)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Sep 9, 2012.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Anyway, onto the art. I just finished this quick sketch tonight for a RPG that takes place here on the boards. This is one of the main characters for the upcoming game, The Chosen One. I will be doing a series of these characters and this is the first one in the set:

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome back!

That is a beautiful sketch of Nye-Ahli, I love how you have rendered the expression and the colours. How are you finding doing the original characters when compared to the canon ones? I can't wait to see what you are working on next and to be posted here in a brand new home too. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you!

Doing original characters is actually a nice change of pace. It really makes you think about how you're going to make the character look rather than just head to google or something other website looking for stock images of a canon character. And of course, the fun thing about original characters is it's all about interpretation. I'm just glad the player approved the drawing of Nye-Ahli's likeness.

This drawing also gave me the opportunity to try out my new sephia-toned Copic markers! :D

As for my next piece, I'm pulling a George Lucas and going back and re-doing an old piece that has been bothering me. Do you remember the Gone with the Wind inspired Han and Leia piece I did several years ago (if not, I'll be happy to re-post it)? That's the one getting a makeover.

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I agree and it is also a fun process working others to create-nail down the look of the original characters too. It's beautiful, how can they not approve that portrait sketch? It's great that it gave you a chance to try your new markers, I can see that you've got this nice texture coming through too.

I remember that 'Gone with the Wind' piece quite well and I'm surprised that it has been bothering you... though I can relate too as I have done the same and gave a makeover to a few of my own works too. I am looking forward to seeing the end results!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    What medium and paper do you use? I've been tempted to dabble in different media for a while, and even try mixing some (like acrylics and colored pencil. Haven't yet tried it, but I've seen more than enough work that has and I like how it looks). Though, my sketchbook is my primary lab when it comes to experimenting, as I don't like using my good paper and board for something that may turn out horrible.

Dandelo and AzureAngel2 like this.
  7. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Totally understand about experimenting. I've been doing a ton of that lately and supplies aren't cheap! :p

For that particular sketch, I used Copic markers, a little bit of colored pencil to bring out some of the whites and the detailing and then gouache for the final highlights. It was drawn on bristol vellum. At the moment, I'm in love with the markers. It's like painting without the added hassle of clean-up and fumbling with a brush (I've always found it much harder to handle a brush than a pencil or something similar).

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love OC's and your sketch

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Blowing my mind every piece, Steph. Great work!!

10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Can´t wait for your next piece of art to dazzle us, Steph!

:D

11. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    I've already told you how much I love this picture, but I'll say it again! :) I'm very glad I was lucky enough to have someone like you to help me, and I can't wait to see some more!

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you so much, everyone! :)

Hey, no problem! I really enjoy the challenge as it's different from what I'm used to. It's allowing me to think outside the box and form these characters in my mind instead of always drawing existing characters.

With that said, I'm working on the next one as I type this (taking a quick break to reply to the thread) and I should have you a scan sometime later on tonight if all goes to plan. Thanks again! :)

13. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
  14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    As promised, here is the next portrait in the series; a Firrerreon named Patnir or "Crazy Eyes":

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    All he needs is for his hair to be swept up into points on either side of his head, and he'd be Wolverine. :p

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    He has indeed intense eyes.

17. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    Another amazing picture! :) The eyes are probably my favorite part.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    TrakNar - Haha, I can totally see that! I didn't realize that until after I scanned it in. Although, his player described him as having mutton chops, so there you have it! I had to reference some Civil War era photographs for that! :p

AzureAngel2 - Definitely! Wookieepedia described the Firrerreons as having strange membranes protecting their eyes, so I wanted to try and convey that by making them milky in appearance.

spycoder9 - Once again, thank you so much! I guess it's safe to say we now know where he got his nickname from. :p It's been really fun working on these so far! Thanks again for the opportunity!

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    That really, really worked! Good job!

20. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Wow great work! I haven't seen you stuff lately, it has come miles from what I remember! Very awesome!!!!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I wanted to share a little something I've been working on for the past couple of weeks in-between official work. Ever since the announcement that Harrison Ford is most likely returning to play Han Solo in Episode VII, I've wanted to do my own interpretation of Han and Chewie as they would appear in the new films. This is my progress on Han after blocking in the tones on his face. I still have a long way to go!

All digital media using my wacom tablet and CS2

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That is coming along nicely!! Can't help but be excited to see those two again!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love your new works and it will be nice to see Han Solo

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you, everyone! :) I did some more progress on the Han/Chewie piece, but unfortunately, I had to shelve it as other projects started to come in. I hope to be able to get back to it before the end of the summer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Now to show a little bit of what I've been up to these past couple of months.

As some of you may be aware, I worked on the Star Wars Galactic Files 2 card set for Topps. I recently got my cards approved and here is a sampling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, my return cards. All of these are currently available for purchase:

[​IMG]

EDIT: ARGH! Screw it! I can't figure out the thumbnail thing. This is the formula I'm using: {URL=}{IMG}th_http://url.com{/IMG}{/URL} (of course, replace the "{" with "[" ) If that is not right, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Beautiful work! Always a pleasure to see your works and glad to see more of them :) I hope that you will get back into the swing of things soon with your shelved works.

Regarding thumbnails...you almost had it. In the IMG link, the "th_" goes within the url, at the start of the file name. Like this:

Code:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Misc%20Art/th_s_SWG2Returns_sswanger_zps130c57f3.jpg
    to get

[​IMG]

I hope that helps and hopefully see more of your art soon :)

AzureAngel2 and HanSolo29 like this.