main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Artist • The Art of HanSolo29 • (**Updated**)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Sep 9, 2012.

1. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    [:D]

Can't wait to see more. :)

HanSolo29 likes this.
  2. Darth Rozic

Darth Rozic Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    =D=Amazing artwork!!!

HanSolo29 likes this.
  3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you, Darth Rozic!

It's very much appreciated! :)

Darth Rozic likes this.
  4. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Kaleesh-Cyborg Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 4, 2017
    I have been meaning to check out this thread. I finally get around to it and one thing does not fit at all. I saw "doodle" as a descriptive word for one of your pieces. "Doodle" does not apply. I doodle. You create magic with a variety of mediums. I hereby ban you from the use of the word "doodle" when talking about your work. It's too good for that word. *shakes inactivated lightsaber at you*

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Aww...thank you, Kaleesh-Cyborg! [:D]

And I will try to keep that in mind...I wouldn't want to be taken out by your lightsaber! :p

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey all,

I wanted to share something I've been working on for the past couple of months (off and on when I had time). It's a movie poster based on a game here in the RPF called The Crossing. I wanted to do something reminiscent of the Drew Struzan posters of the past. I didn't use quite the same techniques, but I wanted to keep the style very similar. All of the drawings were done traditionally and then scanned into the computer (including a piece of illustration board I slopped up with gesso to use later on for texture). The final piece was then colored in Photoshop using my tablet:

[​IMG]

I also wanted to follow up with a few WIP shots to give you an idea to my process. I'll start off with the thumbnail sketch of my idea:

[​IMG]

The drawings laid out on my desk (in various states of completion) before I scanned them in and assembled them:

[​IMG]

And finally, the black and white drawing ready for color after all textures have been applied:

[​IMG]

7. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh, beautiful work!

Thank you for sharing the development stages and how it all came together. This has turned out brilliantly and captures the feel of Struzan and got me curious about the RPG.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  8. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I don't know anything about the game, but :eek:[face_hypnotized]. Beautiful, beautiful work! =D=

HanSolo29 likes this.
  9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Damn. Now that is talent! Amazing work.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    @Corellian_Outrider @QueenSabe7

Thank you both for the kind words! I really do appreciate it! :)

I started this thing back in September and worked on it off and on as my schedule allowed. It was a big undertaking, but hopefully it's the start of something new for me. Sometimes you need to get away from those small cards and work on things of a larger scale. ;)

EDIT:
    @Jordan1Kenobi

I'm going to throw you in there as well! You replied while I was working on my response, but thank you so much! :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Jordan1Kenobi and QueenSabe7 like this.
  11. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Amazing! He looks so perfect. Is there a story behind the picture (as in do you have a reason what Luke is doing on Tattooine) or is it just an idea you had?

HanSolo29 likes this.
  12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hi @teamhansolo – thank you for the kind words! :)

I was looking to capture the general feeling of the OT more than anything else. It's titled 'Son of the Suns,' and I wanted to show a single image that would appropriately represent the Skywalker Saga. What better way than to show father and son on the planet that is essentially the center of their universe? Fun little fact: I originally set out to do a regular 'movie poster' for ANH, but when I started to play around with the thumbnail sketches, I realized that it worked better with less elements. That's how it evolved to only include Luke and Vader.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    teamhansolo likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Whoa you sure do have alot of talent to be able to draw so well

Dandelo likes this.
  14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I was going through my files, and I realized that I never posted a lot of the official art that I've done over the years for Topps. It's also been a while since I've updated this thread, so I figured... why not?

I'll start things off with a spread of character portraits from one of the Rogue One card sets:

[​IMG]

15. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I’m. Blown. Away.

I know I’ve said it before, but you are incredibly talented, and I could gaze at these all day. One suggestion though, you should do more Bill Pullman.

Kidding!

Or am I? :D

16. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    More! More I say!

Dandelo and HanSolo29 like this.
  17. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Force Ghost star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    Gorgeous work @HanSolo29. I'm blown away by your talent.
    [​IMG]

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    @Nehru_Amidala and @Jedi Bluth, thank you so much for the kind comments! [:D]

@Lady_Belligerent - Aww, thank you, my friend! And hey, don't tempt me with that! You know I'll do it! :p I'll have to see what I can come up with. [face_thinking]

-------------

Here is another batch of cards for this evening. I mostly focused on The Last Jedi for this one, but there's a young Luke and Andor thrown in there for good measure.

[​IMG]

Tarsier, Dandelo, LAJ_FETT and 3 others like this.
  19. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    These are phenomenal. [face_love] You captured my bae Adam Driver so nicely.

I’ll keep up the research until I find one you can’t resist. :p

20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    WOW! I mean that.....WOW!! :eek:

21. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I needed to see Aryan tonight.

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Haha, that was the first image of Aryan I drew for Dark Reach/New Sith Trials. I think you've convinced me that it's time to do more! :p

Dandelo and Lady_Belligerent like this.
  23. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this I think sums it up for me.

I just want to echo what everyone else has said. You have talent.

I'd be a very happy man if I could create pieces of art like everything you have shown us, and thank you for showing us. It deserves to be seen.

Edit: that was to @HanSolo29

I'll be sure to check your thread if you have one Kaleesh Cyborg :p

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  24. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    YOU DO NOT DOODLE...............fact. That's what us untalented goobs do..........

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Next, do Aryan Graul based on Bill Pullman... in Serpent and the Rainbow.