main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social ∋●∈ The Sith Academy ∋●∈ Welcome all new fans of the Dark Side!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Darth Dreadwar, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i think i might have a copy of that laying around somewhere.

let me think about it DarthIshyZ how much would we be reading in what kind of time frame?

corinthia likes this.
  2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I have absolutely no idea. The idea was just proposed to me and *aha!* I posted it here. Didn't even get permission from Halle Dray.

I just downloaded a free copy compliments of Amazon Prime. I'm open to ideas.

corinthia and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  3. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    if it wasn't too much reading per week, i can say i would be interested. lord knows there's already enough to read as it is. >_<

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  4. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I'm in, and have no problems leading discussions! I'd propose we do two or three sections a week. The sections aren't terribly long, and there are thirteen, so we'd finish the book in about six or seven weeks. Maybe less if we're ambitious.

5. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Listen to Hesper! Our resident Sun Tsu expert!

6. corinthia

Feb 16, 2016

Looks like this might just turn into Lady Hesper's Book Club!

7. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    sure, i think i could handle that.

which version are we using? the free kindle one?

8. corinthia

Feb 16, 2016
    Free Kindle version works for me! I'll check it out quickly.

Edit: Let's use the Lionel Giles translation. Seems to be the most popular, and easy to find for free!

9. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Got it! *rubbing hands together* Let's get this bee-yotch!

corinthia likes this.
  10. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    wonder if anyone else is going to be involved.

11. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
  12. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    that... just... looks really weird.

DarthIshyZ and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  13. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Weird...nah, it's cool. ;)

14. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    one does not negate or replace the other. ;)

Anakin.Skywalker and DarthIshyZ like this.
  15. Darth Rozic

Darth Rozic Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    E. L.Knight
    I believe that Revan could be incorporated by making a four season (minimum) TV series. Here's a little overview of what I think would be good:

S1- Defection: Start of season: Mandalorian Wars begin. Mid season: Revan and Alek lead a team of Jedi to help the war effort. End of season: Revan goes missing after the War ends.

S2- Corrupted: Start of season: Revan and Alek are missing in the Unknown Region. Mid season: Revan and Alek return as Sith lords and start an Empire. End of season: Darth Revan is "killed"

S3- Risk: Start of season: Revan has memory wiped and the Taris basked events of KotOR happen. Mid season: Revan becomes Jedi and finds some Star Maps. End of season: Revan finds the rest of the Star Maps and stops the Star Forge.

S4- The End: Start of season: Revan and Bastilla marry. Mid season: Revan goes into the Unknown Regions. End of season: Revan goes missing.

16. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    You guys have fun with that. Unfortunately I have no time. :(

Darth Rozic likes this.
  17. corinthia

Feb 16, 2016
    I hope you don't mind me commandeering the Academy just a wee bit for this book club, Headmistress? ;)

18. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    No problem! I would just advise for you to watch out for any training as it might get confusing in here.

19. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    The trainees can learn a bit from our discussions, too!

corinthia and A Blind Prophet like this.
  20. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    what day are we doing this? or need to have read the sections we're doing by?

21. corinthia

Feb 16, 2016
    I'll write up an introductory post for the book club when I get home in half an hour, ABP, and outline reading schedule and the general direction discussion should go in. I'm thinking we could definitely discuss how AoW might fit in with SW/the Sith, to keep things relevant.

DarthIshyZ and A Blind Prophet like this.
  22. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I'm loving the opening. Beheading the King's favorite concubines! He was a strict guy, that's for sure!

corinthia likes this.
  23. Darth Rozic

Darth Rozic Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    What's all this about a book club??

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

24. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Darth Rozic and corinthia like this.
  25. corinthia

Feb 16, 2016
    Lady Hesper's "Philo-Sith-y" Book Club
    The Art of War by Sun Tzu ​

Hello, ladies and gents! I think we have a small crowd for this but hopefully more will join in. We're going to read a great book, and I think it would prove both useful and interesting to us Sith types. :p

I'll give a little overview of the book: The Art of War was written by the Chinese warrior-philosopher Sun Tzu over two thousand years ago. It is, essentially, a philosophical handbook to military tactics and strategy. It's unlike most philosophical texts, however, in that it's not at all a dense, difficult-to-comprehend piece of writing like most philosophical texts. It's actually written in bullet points. (!)

Amazon has a free Kindle edition (Chiron Academic Press - The Original Authoritative Edition); It's the most popular Lionel Giles translation. We'll be using that edition, but if you don't have a way to access Kindle, make sure whatever copy you use is a Lionel Giles translation. (I have a Thomas Cleary translation in paperback, and it's so vastly different in its organization from the Giles one that it's hard to tell it's even the same text.)

Since this book is by far and away not a Star Wars book, and this is, after all, the Sith Academy (thank you to Headmistress Kwea for allowing me to commandeer the thread!), I think we should try our best to fit this book in with the Star Wars universe, and more importantly, the Sith.

I'd prefer to not have this book club drag on into eternity, so I'd like the reading schedule to keep up a nice pace, with approximately three sections to read each week. There are thirteen sections in total, each between 5 to 10 pages; the 11th section is particularly long, however, and will probably get its own week for discussion. Additionally, in an effort to keep this thread relatively uncluttered and free for other activities, let's have Thursdays and Fridays as assigned discussion days, with Saturday through Wednesdays as reading days.

To launch the book club, and since today is Thursday, let's read the first section, "Laying Plans", and get started on discussion right away! I'll pose some Sithly discussion questions once I've re-read the first section myself.

Sections II-IV will be up for discussion next week. DarthIshyZ, would you care to co-lead discussions with me?

Happy reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.