main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social ∋●∈ The Sith Academy ∋●∈ Welcome all new fans of the Dark Side!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Darth Dreadwar, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    This is wonderful! Kudos!

corinthia likes this.
  2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I'll do my best. Thank you for leading corinthia!

3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016

That would be cool. Sign me up.

4. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Alrighty, folks! Hopefully we'll get some discussion started tonight or tomorrow.

I just read section I ("Laying Plans") of The Art of War, and I'm mostly curious about working out and discussing with you guys how the seven considerations mentioned in the middle of the section might be useful for a Sith entering a battle. There's mention of two sovereigns, and my immediate reaction was to label those as Jedi and Sith. Thoughts?

5. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    According to point 18, "All warfare is based on deception." I can't see the Jedi being in this at all.

I did like the "reordering" of the five virtues. Wisdom first.

Sent via Tapatalk this was.

6. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    True, but even then, wasn't there deception (whether intentional or not) that the Jedi participated in during the Clone Wars? At least, there was to me.

7. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    This is one of the reasons I like the Sith better. Jedi try to say they're adhering to #6 (Moral Law) and yet they "bend" those morals so often. You're right. Dark Desciple showed Vos bend those morals even before he teamed with Ventress. OB1 outright lied calling it "a certain point of view."

At least with Sith, there's no claim of moral high ground.

8. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012

Bravo, Darth Rozic! I love this idea very much. 3 Prestige!

Now enjoy your weekend, I should have a task for you next week. :)

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    *lights a few candles*

It's a gloomy evening.

corinthia likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

In other words, perfect for the Sith. :vader:

11. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Isley_27, your last Trials post was ever so slightly God mode-ish with the way you described Haretisch's training methods. But otherwise it was an excellent post. You are awarded 2 prestige.

12. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    corinthia and A Blind Prophet, you guys might know my wife and I are watching The Sopranos together. I had to laugh (and couldn't explain to my wife, such a fleeting moment) when Tony quoted Sun Tsu. Tony was referring to a colleague who was famous for being a hothead. He quoted this chapter, actually. "If your enemy is of a choleric temper, seek to irritate him." Very good, Tony! Keep up the eastern philosophy!

13. Isley_27

Isley_27 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2016
    Thank you master...I'll remember to tone it down when it comes to parts like that

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Part II - Waging War
    One of Sun Tsu's repeated points is to forage from the enemy - what we today call guerrilla warfare. Is it a good strategy? Why is it frowned upon in today's military?

15. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    *turns the lights on and fluffs pillows*

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *bursts pillows*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    So this is what you were talking about...

haven't been in one of these places in a long long time...

as sands storms ... are ... very VERY dangerous...

*raises leg and cringes.... begins hopping around on one leg....

one of the young-lings touched me.....

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  18. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    *whacks the Emperor with a fluffy bursting pillow*

Oops. Wrong thread. :p

19. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    Any army or fighting force lives or dies on its stomach ...

The majority of casualties are not from clean kills in battle ... but disease, fatigue, and malnutrition thereafter. A simple cut ... can fester and breed a fever and take even the strongest man or woman soldier as easily as a blade or end of a barrel...

corinthia, Darth_Elu and DarthIshyZ like this.
  20. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    A reason it is frowned upon in today's military is that it isn't as often needed except perhaps in extreme circumstances. Soldiers can be flown from the battlefield to the main camp/base/etc. or vice versa. There is plenty of food and supplies to go around most of the time, unlike war years ago. Again, that isn't an explicit rule as anything can happen in war. But as a comparison, there you go.

In generality, I would say: yes. It is a good strategy. But one must learn to do it only if necessary in today's world.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i think another reason it's frowned upon is because it's essentially stealing, in a lot of cases from innocent bystanders that don't really have much control over what's going on. and it's very, very easy for it to shift over into looting and dehumanizing people, leaving them without the things that they actually need to survive. i can't think of a single instance in fiction where "scavenging/looting" soldiers weren't presented as villains, or outright bandits. there's also a lot more focus on humanitarian aspects of things, which means that anyone that's seen to do that will probably be going to jail when they get back. so basically it's a diplomatic disaster waiting to happen.

Darth_Elu likes this.
  22. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    True, I was thinking of the more 'taking from enemy soldiers angle'. But yes, if we're going full on scavenging and foraging. Exactly what Prophet said.

23. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    *nods* I think we need to separate taking (a) foodstuffs from civilians from (b) foodstuffs from enemy soldiers and (c) materiel from enemy soldiers.

(a) is definitely a no-no. Under any circumstances, as Elu said, there's going to be airlifts.
    (b) is gray area to me. If they're lying on the ground, that backpack isn't going to benefit anyone. To me it's fair game.
    (c) rifles and tanks and other materiel, that's fair game to me, also. Consider Chewbacca taking control of the Imp Chicken Walker. I don't think that's a bad thing, at all.

24. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    it's against the rules of war to take anything from enemy troops far as i'm aware, as it's classified as looting. and it's been like that for a while. now practically... it happens. but it is not even remotely approved of by the general public, or the diplomatic/political arena, which in this day and age is what matters more. and that includes materiel.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.