Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ November 20th: New non-comp challenge and new discussion topic!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Captain Rakkaus Jedi Knight

star 1
    Welcome Aboard the Ship of Love!

This is the place to discuss your favourite pairings and ships - canon or non-canon! Discussions of OC/OC, EC/OC, and EC/EC are all welcome.

Challenges and discussion will both take place! Challenges will give you a chance to write fics for your chosen pairings, and discussions will provide an opportunity to talk about them in depth. Please keep in mind that OCs do have their own thread, so this is not for discussion of individuals.

While set discussion topics are given, any discussion is welcome, provided it follows the guidelines above.

If a pairing has its own thread already - please relegate all discussion there.If a pairing becomes dominant, it may be moved to another thread. If you would like a pairing to have its own thread, feel free to contact the mods - @mavjade and/or @Briannakin.

While set discussion topics are given, any discussion is welcome, provided it follows the guidelines above.

Challenges:

Every three months a competitive challenge takes place. The challenge lasts until the beginning of the new one. There is an entry period of 10 weeks and a voting period of 2 weeks, unless otherwise stated.

Discussions:

A new discussion topic is posted every now and then. It lasts until the next discussion topic is posted.

If you have a suggestion for a challenge or a discussion topic, see the end of this post.

Keep in mind that the discussions should not be limited to one pairing, and must be inclusive of all pairings.

Glossary:
    • EC - Established Character
    • OC - Original Character
    • Ship/'Ship - A romantic pairing between two characters in a fictional series, often one that is supported or portrayed by fans rather than depicted in the series itself.
    • Shipper/'Shipper - A person who supports a particular ship.
    • Pairing - A couple, essentially.
    • OTP - One true pairing, or a person’s favourite pairing.

As of September 16th, 2016; this thread is maintained by @Ewok Poet. For all questions, suggestions, ideas, fan & hate mail, send the sock a private message and I will do my best to respond in timely manner. ^_^

This thread was started by @Admiral Volshe on October 15th, 2015. The fun lovey-dovey webdings/emoji/emoticons/pictograms/symbols can be accessed on this page.
    Last edited by Captain Rakkaus, Nov 19, 2017 at 8:32 PM
  2. Captain Rakkaus Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here is the index of all challenges and discussions in this thread.

You're welcome to use challenge themes and discussions as prompts whenever and however you want. Please, let us know if you wrote a story inspired by a previous challenge/discussion!

❣Discussion Index❣

The current discussion is marked with a peach-orange heart-topped exclamation mark (). Check the linked post to share your two Imperial credits. The past discussions have been marked with heart-topped exclamation marks in the default board font colour.

❣Discussion #1 (November 10th, 2015) - The Romance Genre And Your Pairings

❣Discussion #2 (March 18th, 2016) - That "Spark"!

❣Discussion #3 (September 16th, 2016) - The First Time I Caught A Glimpse Of You

❣Discussion #4 (October 02nd, 2016) - To Search or not to Search?

❣Discussion #5 (October 26th, 2016) - The Ghosts That Haunt Our Love

❣Discussion #6 (November 19th, 2016) - Funniest Moments!

❣Discussion #7 (January 20th, 2017) - Finding Your OTP

Discussion #8 (April 08th, 2017) - What is mush to you?

Discussion #9 (June 25th, 2017) - Engagement/Marriage

Discussion #10 (August 19th, 2017) - EC/EC vs. EC/OC vs OC/OC

Discussion #11 (November 20th, 2017) - Writing obscure/rare pairings

ღღღღღღღღღღღ

❣Competitive Challenge Index❣
    The current challenge is marked with a peach-orange sideways heart in a larger size (). Check the announcement post to see if you can still take part. The past challenges have been marked with sideways hearts in the default board font colour.

❥Challenge #1- The Unfixable Issues
    - Announcement (November 22nd, 2015)
    - Voting (March 18th, 2016)
    - Results (September 16th, 2016)
    Winner(s): @Briannakin with Abating Hope and @Raissa Baiard with In the Cards, Ch. 5 Pt. 2 - You've Been Thinkin', and I've been Drinkin'

❥Challenge #2 - Romcom...IN SPACE!!!
    - Announcement (September 18th, 2016)
    - Voting (November 26th, 2016 - December 11th 2016)
    - Results (December 11th 2016)
    Winner(s): @Briannakin with Word Gets Around

❥Challenge #3 - HOLIDAY LOVE
    - Announcement (December 12th, 2016)
    - Voting (February 21st, 2017)
    - Results (March 07th, 2017)
    Winner(s): @Raissa Baiard with Not Your Mother's Life Day

Challenge #4 - Romance Quotes
    - Announcement (March 19th, 2017)
    - Voting (May 28th, 2017)
    - Results (June 11th, 2017)
    Winner(s): @Raissa Baiard with Love and Other Stupid Poodoo

Challenge #5 - Crack!Pairing Fest
    - Announcement (June 12th, 2017)
    - Voting (August 22nd, 2017)
    - Results (September 05th, 2017)
    Winner(s): @Raissa Baiard with A Steamy Romance

Challenge #6 - Fairy Tale...IN SPACE!
    - Announcement (September 19th, 2017)
    - Voting (November 28th, 2017)
    - Results (December 12th, 2017)
    Winner(s): TBA

ღღღღღღღღღღღ
    ❣Non-Competitive Challenge Index❣
    These are always current, therefore no pink symbols marking the current challenge. :D

Elderly Love (as of March 19th, 2017)

Entries:
    - Snoke: Pirates by @Sith-I-5
    ღღღღღღღღღღღ
    ❣Drafts For Future Challenges❣
    The below is just a collection of ideas for future challenges. Whenever one is used, it will be crossed out. The Captain is open to suggestions regarding the challenge theme and format for the summer of 2017 and beyond! Your idea may be better than his.

ONSCREEN ROMANCE QUOTE CHALLENGE

FAIRY TALE...IN SPACE!

CRACK!PAIRING FEST
    Last edited by Captain Rakkaus, Nov 19, 2017 at 8:34 PM
  3. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Can I post? I hope I can post.

I'm just so excited to have somewhere to discuss some of my favorite pairings that have never been 'big' enough for their own threads (even before the move when we had the H/L thread and the A/P thread). I'm talking Bail/Breha (the ship my muse is currently happily stuck on... when I'm not working on papers), Lando/Tendra, and Winter/Tycho (which, for the 2nd two ships, I wish the muse would strike more often; I'm hoping challenges may help with that).
    Ewok Poet, Kahara and Captain Rakkaus like this.
  4. Admiral Volshe Force Ghost

star 10
    Of course!!

I'm excited to see another Bail/Breha fan! Woohoo!
    Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  5. Goodwood Jedi Master

star 5
    Don't forget Revan/Bastila!

Seriously, it's about time we got some KotOR love in this regard. :)
    Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.
  6. TrakNar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yay, a place to talk about unpopular ships! Toryuckuss 4EVA~
    Ewok Poet, Kahara and Admiral Volshe like this.
  7. Admiral Volshe Force Ghost

star 10

Toryn Farr and Zuckuss...?
  8. TrakNar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes. They are my OTP. I'll go down with this ship.

Toryn getting an action figure was the greatest thing to happen because now I have my OTP in toy form.
    Ewok Poet, Kahara and Admiral Volshe like this.
  9. Lazy K Jedi Knight

star 2
    Er . . .

Please let this thread remain civil.
    Please let the discussions be rational.
    Please let the users be tolerant of each others' ships.

And please, please, please let us not dance to the Rabid 'Shipping Tango.

[face_praying]
  10. Chyntuck Force Ghost

star 5
    Yay, new thread! Just a question before I start talking about my favourite pairings -- I am assuming that it's okay to mention the fics in which they were developed under the new linking-to-fics policy, can @mavjade or @Briannakin please confirm? I'm thinking here of OC couples or of EC couples that don't appear in canon/Legends, not of relationships that are established in canon.
    Admiral Volshe and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    Now I can waffle about Teebo and Latara...FOREVER. The only fictional romance I ever really liked, ever since October 1990. 25 years this month. :)

Show Spoiler

[IMG]
    *artwork by Katchan00 - and yes, their legs are too long for whatever reason*

Last edited by Ewok Poet, Oct 6, 2015
  12. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Yay!

One of my biggest OTP's is Ben Skywalker/Jysella Horn. I mean come on, think about it. The children of Luke/Mara and Corran/Mirax, they'd be perfect for each other or kill each other... maybe both. :p (This became my OTP before we learned more about Jysella in the FoTJ series. She ended up being older than we guessed, but she's only ten years older, so not creepy so long as he's old enough.)

Also, I'm a big fan of Kell Tainer/Tyria Sarkin but the muse has never really struck for them... yet.

I changed the tag to Characters, since this is like a character thread, it's just all purpose instead of one particular 'ship. So yes, you may. :)
    Last edited by mavjade, Oct 6, 2015
  13. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I don't think I really have a OTP anymore. It's just whatever the muse wants. But I do love me some Ben/Jysella. I don't think the age difference is weird, as long as Ben is old enough. I mean, there's an 10 year age gap between H/L, 17 between Lando and Tendra, although Breha doesn't have a canon age, her and Bail can be anywhere from 7 to 17 years apart (I choose the upper end because it works).

Also, I've always loved me some Kam/Tionne, but the muse has never hit anywhere near them.
    Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  14. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    "Because it works"?
    Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Admiral Volshe Force Ghost

star 10
    I have about 7 OTPs. I love so many pairings. [face_laugh]
  16. Goodwood Jedi Master

star 5
    Normally I don't go for OTPs, due mostly to my desire to focus on OC-centric fiction (but also because "shipping" has never been a "thing" for me). But Revan and Bastila are just fun to write, plus they compliment each other very nicely despite a significant age gap; he's 38 by the time of KotOR, while she's 25. The whole set of circumstances that surround them are also quite intriguing, and ripe for character development.
    Kahara, Admiral Volshe and Chyntuck like this.
  17. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I was typing that as I was running late for class, but basically, I think it adds dynamic to the whole 'quasi-arranged' royal marriage. I think, if Breha had never felt a sense of duty to Alderaan, she would have never given Bail the time of day, so the major age difference adds to the complexity of their relationship. But that's just my canon. One thing I've found I've really enjoyed about writing Breha and her relationship with Bail is that she is a very flat and underdeveloped character in the few books she has appeared in, so she is a bit of a "blank slate" for anyone who wants to write her, so people have had very different takes on the relationship.
    Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    That makes more sense...I almost thought that it was something about much older men being hot or whatever.

Anyway, not going to brag here because de gustibus non disputandum est, buuut...the sequel of my two current epics has a romantic subplot that is deconstructing the whole idea of romance commonly seen in fan fiction, turning it upside down and inside out and then...who knows what may happen next?
    Kahara likes this.
  19. Chyntuck Force Ghost

star 5
    Two of my favourite pairings that haven't been mentioned yet:

Bree and Blue (both OCs) in True Blue and The God of Second Chances by @divapilot -- the fics are in many way's Bree's coming-of-age story, and I find that the relationship works really well because it's an integral part of her growing up.

I-5YQ and Magash in The Chronicles of I-5YQ by @Ewok_Slayer -- a droid in a human replica body and a Dathomiri witch falling for each other is one of those only-in-Star-Wars moments that are just too good to miss, and E_S is writing that masterfully.
    Kahara, JadeLotus and Ewok_Slayer like this.
  20. divapilot Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I've been partial to Talon/Shada, mostly because of how it actually presents Mara. Talon treats Mara as a second in command, no sexual attraction. She's his colleague. But Shada is not just his second in command but she and Talon have a connection. It helps to show that not every woman is there for the romantic relationship.

I haven't seen much of this but the little fanfic that is out there for Kanan/Hera is lovely. They are both strong, empowered characters.

And I second I5 and Magash - so flipping cute in how they both explore this strange thing called attraction! For OCs, Thrawn/Ayesha in the beautiful story by @Chyntuck is wonderful. Ayesha brings out the loving, passionate side of our favorite Grand Admiral.
    Last edited by divapilot, Oct 7, 2015
  21. Jedi_Lover Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think everybody knows who my favorite canon OTP is. If you don't, look at my icon. :p

I have to agree that Bree and Blue in True Blue are a cute couple. I love my personal OC couples, especially Mark Tantiss/Kira Starkos and Talon Tantiss and Zylie Karrde. I guess that is why I can't stop writing about them. o_O
    Kahara likes this.
  22. Gahmah Raan Jedi Knight

star 2
    I manage to function as both a shipper and a naval mine. I'm usually pairing OCs with each other... and then sometimes I kill someone in the relationship for whatever story-based reason. (Don't look at me like that. I'm not G. R. R. Martin. Paranormalities is very light-hearted... in comparison to the rest of the era it's set around)

But that's not to say everyone in Paranormalities dies permanently. So if Will Helms is shipped with someone, it's definitely him that's dying.
    Last edited by Gahmah Raan, Oct 7, 2015
    Captain Rakkaus and Kahara like this.
  23. JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    As far as established characters go, I'm also partial to Lando/Tendra, Breha/Bail and Talon/Shada. I also enjoy Owen/Beru although there is scant fic for them.

There is an EC/OC pairing I love but the fic is unfinished and unposted - the author knows who I mean ;)
    Kahara likes this.
  24. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Kanan/Hera fics are so lovely. I have yet to run into too many of them, but I do try to read them when I do. Yet, I'm not sure if I'll ever write about them. Does anyone else have this, a pairing they love, but never inspired to write anything?

But now this thread is making me want to check out a bunch of fics I sadly don't have time for (grrrrr higher education!).

I've done the odd OC/OC paring, and the odd EC/OC (Hobbie will always end up with a twi-lek in my mind). But one "non-canon" relationship I've gotten attacked by plot bunnies for is Obi-Wan/Beru. I'm not sure why, and I do like Owen/Beru (there's one Owen/Beru fic series that I love that is sadly truncated: A Twin Suns Romance by Alexis_Wingstar, but I can just see so many AU circumstances that would bring those two together. I've referenced this paring in a diary entry, but I've yet to really test the waters for it.
    leiamoody and Kahara like this.
  25. TrakNar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Quick question since I don't think a shipping thread exists in NSWFF... are we allowed to talk about any non-SW ships if we have them? And what about OC ships? Can we talk about those, if we have them?
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade