main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Family in Exile (AU, Padme, Obi-Wan, more) Chapter 8 up 10/7/2012 Author replies

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Alexis_Wingstar, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Author: Alexis_Wingstar
    Title: A Family in Exile
    Genre: AU, Drama, Action, Romance, what have you
    Characters: The main characters will be Padme and Obi-Wan, but many more will be in there from time to time.
    Summary: Padme survives after the birth of Luke and Leia. She and Obi-Wan pose as a married couple and raise Luke on Tatooine.
    Note: This will a rewrite of my diary challenge story, Side by Side, only it isn’t in diary form. Also, there will be some details that are changed as well as some added content. It won't give too much away if you read Side by Side, because I will be changing things and there will be more events that will take place in between the posts of that story.

Concrit welcome via PM.
    ______

Chapter 1
    Hope’s Birth

Padme leaned her elbow against the control console as she stared out the viewport of her skiff. Ani, where are you? She wondered in desperation. She had to know if what Obi-Wan had told her in her apartment on Coruscant was true. It can’t be true. Ani would never kill younglings. But, why would Obi-Wan lie? He’s always been a good friend.

She suddenly sat up straight when she thought she saw movement across the landing platform. Seeing it was Anakin, she quickly rose and ran to the exit ramp and let it down. By the time it lowered all the way, she saw her husband and ran to him.

“Padme, I saw your ship,” he said as they embraced.

She could feel herself trembling with nerves, but it eased somewhat when he held her. “Oh, Anakin!”

“It’s alright, you’re safe now. What are you doing out here?”

Pulling away slightly, Padme answered, “I was so worried about you. Obi-Wan,” she paused as she swallowed, “told me terrible things!”

She could feel Anakin stiffen slightly and she detected a slight weariness in his voice. “What things?”

“He said you have turned to the dark side,” she explained and then took a deep, shuddering breath before adding, “that you killed younglings.” Please tell me it isn’t so.

“Obi-Wan is trying to turn you against me!”

That isn’t a denial of the accusations, just an explanation why Obi-Wan would bring it to my attention. Oh please, Anakin, tell me you didn’t do it! “He... he cares about us.”

“Us?”

“He knows... everything... our marriage, my pregnancy. He wants to help you.”

Anakin’s mouth slanted upwards in a sneering grin as he scoffed, “I don’t need his help. He isn’t strong enough!”

“Anakin, all I want is your love,” she pleaded as she placed a hand to his chest.

“Love won’t save you, Padme.” His countenance frightened Padme as it took on a feverish appearance. “Only my new powers can do that.”

“At what cost?” She put her other hand up to his cheek as she tried to persuade him, “You’re a good person. Don’t do this!”

“I won’t lose you the way I lost my mother!” There was a desperation in his voice that told her how driven he was by the fear of losing her. What alarmed Padme most though was the power hungry look in his eyes as he continued, “I’ve become more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of, and I’ve done it for you. To protect you!”

She withdrew her hands from his chest and cheek and grabbed his hands as she stepped back. “Come away with me,” she pleaded. “Help me raise our child. Leave everything else behind while we still can!”

“Don’t you see?” Anakin’s power-deranged smile did not comfort Padme. “We don’t have to run away anymore. I have brought peace to the Republic. I am more powerful to the Chancellor. I can overthrow him, and together you and I can rule the galaxy! Make things the way we want them to be!”

Padme shook her head in denial as she let go of Anakin’s hands and backed away. “I don’t believe what I’m hearing! Obi-Wan was right, you’ve changed.”

“I don’t want to hear any more about Obi-Wan!” His voice rose in anger as he made a backward sweeping gesture with one hand and turned away slightly. “The Jedi turned against me.” He turned back to her with a burning glare in his eyes, and a dark warning in his voice, “Don’t you turn against me.”

Tears came from her eyes as she continued to back away from him. “I don’t know you anymore.” She put her hands up to her chest as she felt her heart was being put in a vice grip. “Anakin, you’re breaking my heart. I’ll never stop loving you, but you’re going down a path I can’t follow!”

“Because of Obi-Wan?”

“Because of what you’ve done,” she corrected. “Because of what you plan to do. Stop, stop now.!” She reached her arms out to him as she begged. “Come back! I love you!”

Padme noticed Anakin looking behind her and a look of hatred and anger coming to his face as he shouted, “Liar!”

She glanced back and saw Obi-Wan standing at the top of the boarding ramp to her Naboo skiff. “No!”

“You’re with him!” He snarled angrily. “You’ve betrayed me! You brought him here to kill me!”

“No,” she shook her head as he reached one arm towards her. “Anakin, I swear, I...” she stopped suddenly as she felt a pressure on her neck as though being choked. She quickly put her hands to her throat as she struggled to breath.

“Let her go, Anakin!”

“What have you and she been up too?” Anakin’s accusing voice was rough to Padme’s ears as she continued to strive for air.

“Let her go!” Obi-Wan insisted once more.

Padme’s vision was fading when she suddenly felt a release from her throat and the harsh heated air of Mustafar’s atmosphere rushed into her lungs. She crumpled to the ground, barely conscious. She could not move or utter a sound, but could hear clearly everything that was happening.

She heard Anakin yell, “You turned her against me!”

“You have done that yourself,” was Master Kenobi’s reply. She could not recall hearing Obi-Wan angry until now, though he sounded more controlled than Anakin.

“You will not take her from me.” Anakin’s voice was desperate.

“Your anger and your lust for power have already done that! You have allowed this Dark Lord to twist your mind until now. Now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy.”

Padme heard Obi-wan’s voice come nearer to her as he spoke. She felt a gentle hand on her temple, but was not sure if it was the Jedi Master’s or her husband’s until Anakin spoke. His voice was too far away for him to be close enough to touch her.

“Don’t lecture me, Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do. I have brought peace, justice, freedom, and security to my new Empire.”

“Your new Empire?” Obi-Wan’s voice echoed Padme’s thoughts even as she felt like she was drifting away.

“Don’t make me kill you,” was the last thing she heard Anakin say before she finally passed out.

Padme moaned as she slowly woke up. She frowned when she opened her eyes. The last she remembered was being on Mustafar and Anakin had... she shook her head, not wanting to remember, even as the nightmare visage of her husband reaching out towards her and strangling her even though he was nowhere close to physically touching her. She heard soft footsteps and turned her head to see Obi-Wan come to her side. “Is Ani all right?”

The sorrowful look and the silent shake of the Jedi master’s head told her all she needed to know. She was grateful that she felt unconsciousness beckon for her. She did not wish to feel the pain that threatened to devour her soul.

Someone was screaming.

Pain wracked Padme’s body and she realized it was herself who was shrieking. She placed a hand on her swollen belly as tears fell down her cheeks and her abdomen spasmed.

Obi-Wan was suddenly by her side, holding her hand in his and stroking her hair. “We’ve landed, Padme. We’re on the landing platform of Polis Massa’s medical center. You’ll be fine.”

“Please...” her speech was cut off as another painful spasm overtook her once more. “Save my baby!”

“You’ll both be fine Padme,” he assured her as he gently squeezed her hand. He straightened as he turned his head to speak over his shoulder. “Good you’re here. Hurry! She’s in labor.” He released her hand and stepped back.

Padme raised her head to see whom the Jedi was speaking to, and saw two hospital orderlies rushing towards her bed with an anti-grav cot. They quickly transferred her over to the cot and started guiding her towards the ship’s door. “Obi-Wan,” she reached out her hand as she pleaded, “stay with me!”

He was beside her in an instant, holding her hand in both of his hands. “I’m here, Padme, everything will be all right.” She was relieved when he stayed beside her, walking quickly while keeping a hold of her hand. Part of her was ashamed for being so weak, for needing someone to hold her hand through this. It should be Ani holding my hand while I give birth to his son or daughter.

“Sir, you can’t come in here.” One of the orderlies told Obi-Wan as the anti-grav cot slowed to a stop.

“No, I need him with me, please!” Padme desperately tightened her grip on her friend’s hand.

“Padme,” Obi-Wan softly spoke as one hand stroked her hair, “you’ll be fine. I’ll be in the next room, watching over you. I promise, it will be okay.”

She tried not to cry, but felt her bottom lip quiver as she released her tight grip on Obi-Wan’s strong yet gentle hand. As the orderlies took her into the operating room, she tilted her head back to look behind. Her last glimpse was of the Jedi in his pensive pose, stroking his beard as the door slid shut. She screamed in anguish as another contraction started.

The orderlies expertly transferred her to a more comfortable bed after the contraction abated, then left the room. She was alone except for the medical droid who kept saying, “Chooba, choobaaah,” in a voice that would have been soothing to Padme if her heart was not torn and her soul longed for release from the torment of knowing her love and all she had worked for had gone so terribly wrong. She was not sure how long it was before the medical droid left after assuring her it would be back momentarily. She stared up at the lights on the ceiling wishing she were dead. True to it’s word, the droid came back quickly. A familiar frame followed the droid inside.

“Bail!” More tears flowed as her friend and fellow senator came to her side and took her hand.

“Hold on, Padme. You’re strong enough to get through this.”

She felt the opposite. She felt so weak. Tired, weak and ravaged. She began to sob and then screamed when another contraction made her convulse. Bail put an arm behind her for support as the medical droid instructed, “Keep pushing.”

Padme never knew such excruciating agony as she screamed and pushed. Then it suddenly abated as she saw a tiny form fall into the medical droid’s waiting hands. Her eyes went wide with awe as she saw the precious bundle open it’s mouth impossibly wide and scream it’s displeasure at being forced from it’s safe, warm haven.

“Chooba, choobaaah,” cooed the droid. It wrapped the newborn in a soft blanket and handed it to Bail before announcing, “It’s a boy.”

The tall senator smiled as he showed the baby to Padme.

“Luke,” she breathed.

Then another contraction came, and the medical droid ordered her to push.

“I can’t!” She tried, but was too exhausted. She felt herself fading.

“She must push!”

Bail gave Luke to another droid Padme had not noticed was even in the room. He then helped her to sit up and she somehow found the strength to push once more. This time, she did not even have the strength to scream as the second baby slid into the capable hands of the first medical droid.

Bail took the baby and presented it to her as the droid declared it a girl.

“Leia, her name is Leia.” She panted as she lay back down, ready to give up her spirit now that her babies were born.

“Padme,” Bail said urgently, “you must hang on, your babies need you!”

“I can’t.” She began to close her eyes, but opened them when she felt someone grab her hand and a pressure was placed on her arm. It was Bail putting Luke, now clean, into her arms.

“You must!” Once more he helped her sit up as a medical droid made the bed raise so that when she leaned back, she was still in a seated position.

Padme instinctively put another arm under Luke to support him. Staring down into her son’s innocent eyes, she suddenly felt stronger. An overwhelming joy filled her, and a soft laugh escaped her. She shifted her hold on the newborn so she could free her hand to stroke his cheek. At her touch, he turned his head toward her finger and opened his mouth to form an “o”.

“He is hungry,” the medical droid informed her as it moved closer. “We will take him to be fed.”

“No!” Padme put a protective hand on top of Luke. “I’ll feed him.” Even as she said it, she opened her tunic and unclasped her bra before letting her firstborn suckle.

She heard someone clear their throat, then looked up to see an obviously embarrassed Senator Organa turn his head away. She laughed even as she apologized. She loosened Luke’s blanket enough so she could cover up somewhat. “There now, you can look.”

Padme smiled up at Bail as he looked back at her. “They’re beautiful, Padme.”

She glanced around. “Where’s Leia?”

One of the medical droids floated over to her carrying her second-born. “Do you wish to nurse this one, too?”

“Of course!” Padme said as though it were crazy to think otherwise. Seeing Bail shake his head, she frowned up at him. “What?”

He chuckled before explaining, “Nothing. I’m just relieved at the change that has come over you.” He looked away for a little bit as the droid helped the new mother to loosen the other side of her tunic so she could feed Leia.

She blushed, understanding what he meant. She had wanted nothing more than to die a few short minutes before. The sorrow was still there, but she was no longer consumed by it. She smiled down at the babies at her bosom. Luke’s eyelids were drooping to a close as his suckling became less needy. “They give me hope.” She looked up at her friend as she added, “There’s still good in Anakin. I know it. His children will bring him back to the light.”

“May we come in?” It was Obi-Wan at the door Bail had entered through earlier who spoke.

“The patient needs to rest.” The medical droid said as it intercepted the Jedi.

“No, it’s fine. Please let him in.”

“Very well,” the droid backed away as it spoke, “but you should rest shortly.”

“Tire her needlessly we promise not to do,” Yoda replied as he followed Obi-Wan into the room. “A look at the galaxy’s new hope we wish to see for a moment only.”

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah - oh - cooes at babies. Bail, not Obi-Wan, at her side? That's AU right there. Glad to see a story version of your diary being posted.

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I really like the twists of the story so far. Well done!=D=

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh! I love the premise of this story. I'm looking forward to more.

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Valairy Scot: Only because it seems to me he would have the insight to place one of the babies in her arms. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd find it hard to wish for death while holding my newborn in my arms.

@ Sara_Kenobi: Thanks, be assured there will be more twists. [face_devil]

@ Briannakin: I'm glad you like it. Here's some more.

Chapter 2:
    Visitation

Yoda was meditating in the observation dome of Polis Massa. He had failed to stop Darth Sidious, and he knew there was still so much for him to learn. Though seeing the birth of Senator Amidala’s twins inspired a new hope, he saw much danger if they remained together. Yet he was quite sure convincing the senator to part with one of her newborn children would be nigh to impossible.

During his contemplations, he suddenly felt a presence, like he was being watched. He was not alarmed, because he did not sense any hostility in whomever was watching him. In fact, the presence felt familiar. “Qui-Gon Jinn,” he opened his eyes as he greeted his guest, “you are capable at surprising me in your death as much as you have in your life.”

The translucent image of Qui-Gon, bathed in a surreal bluish glow, chuckled. “This time, my old friend, the surprise should prove to be a pleasant one, rather than an annoyance. I made a great discovery when I became one with the Force. With my training, you will be able to merge with the Force at will. Your physical self will fade away, but you will still retain your consciousness. You will become more powerful than any Sith.”

“Eternal consciousness?”

Qui-Gon nodded. “The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved, but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a Shaman of the Whills with whom I studied many years ago. It is a state acquired through compassion, not greed.”

“To become one with the Force, and influence still have,” Yoda quietly contemplated. “A power greater than all, it is.”

“You will learn to let go of everything. No attachment, no thought of self. No physical self.”

“A great Jedi Master, you have become. Your apprentice I gratefully become.”

“Master Yoda?” Obi-Wan Kenobi entered the room, and seeing no one besides the Jedi Grandmaster, tilted his head in curiosity. “With whom are you speaking?”

“One who has returned from the netherworld of the Force to train me . . . your old Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.”

“Qui-Gon?” Obi-Wan was astonished. “He’s here? How?”

“I have studied the secret of the Ancient Order of the Whills, and will be teaching Yoda how to join with the Force yet retain his consciousness.” Qui-Gon kept talking as his former padawan looked around in awe, not able to see him. “I can teach you, too.”

“Why are you only returning now? I could have used your guidance when training Anakin.”

“You were not ready to hear me.”

“I wasn’t ready to train Anakin, either. I had much to learn, and still do.” Even as he continued to speak, Qui-Gon’s image finally materialized, and Obi-Wan humbly bowed his head. “I will gladly become your padawan once more.”

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh! Interesting! I wonder how Yoda leaning this is going to change events.

7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, I don't think Obi-Wan ever truly became NOT Qui-Gon's padawan, at least in his own mind.

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    this is definitely something I'll be reading! You can TAG me when you update.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, I like this idea! I like having Qui-Gon around in whatever capacity ;) and Obi-Wan and Padme together "acting" married ... until they're not acting anymore LOL

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Actually, Brianna, Yoda learning from Qui-Gon the technique to retain consciousness when becoming part of the Force is cannon, so it does not change anything. The only thing that changed in this story was the timing of when Qui-Gon's force-ghost appeared, and that Obi-Wan came in while he was speaking to Yoda.​
    You're right, Valairy, and that will be addressed in a later chapter.​
    Jedi_Liz: Tag, you're it. [face_clown]
    I'm glad you enjoy this version, Jade_eyes. You will be seeing more of Qui-Gon in this story... as for Padme and Obi-Wan "not acting anymore"... that may or may not happen, but it will be fun seeing how it does or does not transpire. [face_tee_hee]
    Chapter 3:
    Fateful Decisions

Even though the door was open, Obi-Wan politely knocked on the frame and waited until Padme said, “Come in.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt your breakfast.” As he spoke, he peeked inside the two bassinets that held the twins. They were sleeping peacefully. He noticed C3PO standing quietly in the corner and the protocol droid bowed slightly towards him without a word.

“That’s all right, I was just finishing the last bite.” She smiled as she rolled the tray aside. She rose from her chair and walked over to stand beside him. Looking down at her son and daughter, she sighed.

Obi-Wan studied the expression on her face for a moment before gently placing a hand on her arm. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, thank you.” Her smile was wan as she looked back up at him then her gaze went back to her babies as she added, “I just wish Ani could see them.”

The Jedi Master only put an arm around her shoulder in response. He knew he need not remind her of the reason her husband was not there and why it would be bad if Anakin knew where they were. He heard her take an unsteady breath and sensed her effort to keep from crying, so he decided to distract her by saying why he had come to visit her. “Yoda wants us to meet him and Senator Organa in a few minutes to discuss where we go from here.”

Padme nodded with a sigh while she pulled away from him. “Where will the meeting be held?”

“I’ll take you there.” Noticing her hesitation as she looked at Luke and Leia, he added, “They’ll be fine. I’m sure Threepio will be a fine nanny.”

The golden protocol droid walked over to the two humans. “I may not be programmed to change diapers, my lady, but I am sure I can soothe the babies with a lullaby should they wake up crying.”

Seeing the doubtful look on her face, Obi-Wan assured her, “We won’t be gone long, and the medical droids are monitoring the room. They’ll contact us promptly if anything amiss shall happen.”

Steeling herself, Padme nodded. “Let’s go, then.” As if to keep her resolve from breaking down, she hurriedly walked out the door with Obi-Wan following close behind.

~~~

“Thank you for coming at such short notice, Senator Amidala,” Yoda greeted her as she and Obi-Wan arrived.

The room was sparsely decorated with only four chairs arranged around an oval table. The lighting was subdued; a wide-vista window opposite the door exhibited the beautiful starscape which surrounded Polis Massa provided most of the illumination. It was just bright enough for her to make out that Grandmaster Yoda and Senator Organa sat across from each other. She headed to the chair next to her fellow senator when Master Kenobi quickly went around her and pulled it out in gentlemanly fashion. She smiled and thanked him as she sat down. The young Jedi master sat across from her, near the elder.

“How are your twins fairing?” Bail Organa asked quietly.

“They’re fine,” she beamed as she answered, “they’re sleeping like babies.”

“Glad we are that both you and the infants are well.” Though the Jedi master’s voice was gentle, it commanded attention as he continued speaking, “A video of a recent news comcast we have recorded. View it you must before we proceed.” He nodded to Obi-Wan who pressed a button.

A hologram of two news anchors appeared from the tabletop. One, a human female, began speaking as the camera focused on her. “In the aftermath of the Jedi insurrection, it has come to our attention that at least one respected senator was in collusion with them.” A familiar image appeared behind the reporter as her speech continued uninterrupted, “Senator Amidala of Naboo transported Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to Mustafar to assassinate Emperor Palpatine’s general, Darth Vader.” The image shifted as a picture of Obi-Wan came up beside Padme. It shifted once more so that the images of the emperor and Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, now in a black skeletal-looking mask, appeared together. Padme gasped as she listened, but refrained from saying anything even as her mind swirled. “One-hundred million credits are offered for the capture and return of the senator, but she must be alive. Nothing will be given for her corpse. The same amount is offered for General Kenobi, alive or dead.”

The images of Padme, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader and the Emperor disappeared as the camera panned out to include the male Ansionian who remarked, “The Emperor really wants the top Jedi, because any that were on their counsel are marked with ten times as much than any other. Though it is reported that most were already killed by the clones who have all remained loyal to the Emperor, and not to the Jedi traitors.”

At the silent behest of Yoda, Obi-Wan switched off the holo-vid.

After a short silence, Padme blew out a breath she had not realized she was holding. “It seems we’re now all fugitives... save you, Bail.”

The distinguished senator nodded with a sigh as Yoda began speaking once more. “Into hiding we must go.”

“The safety of the twins is paramount,” Obi-Wan added. “They must be taken to someplace Anakin.” He paused slightly before correcting himself, “Somewhere Darth Vader will not look.”

“I think I know where I can take them. Anakin,” Padme stressed the name, “would never go back to Tatooine. The memories there are too painful for him.”

“How many people know of your pregnancy besides Anakin and us?” Bail asked even though he had not been in the know until she arrived at Polis Massa late the night before she gave birth. “I presume your handmaidens knew.”

Padme nodded, “I couldn’t tell my family, though. There would be too many questions on who the father was. I think Anakin told the Emperor. Other than that, the only one who knew was my doctor.”

“Better it would be if you posed as a family with a husband by your side.”

Raising an eyebrow, she glanced at the diminutive Jedi as she quipped, “Are you volunteering?” One corner of her mouth was raised in an amused smirk. She recognized a laugh smothered by a clearing of the throat come from Obi-Wan. The senator was surprised to hear Yoda laugh for the first time.

“Interesting that would be, yes.” The old Jedi’s eyes twinkled in merriment. “Wise, that would not be. Too much attention would our unusual pairing draw.” Much needed laughter escaped the three humans’ lips before Yoda added on a more serious note, “Since Senator Organa is free to return to his home on Alderaan, Master Kenobi is the logical choice.”

Padme turned her attention to Obi-Wan and their eyes locked in a steady gaze. “I have always considered you a good friend. I can’t think of anyone else I could trust to do this.”

The Jedi bowed his head to her in silent reply.

“One thing more we must do. To assure the safety of both infants, separated the twins must be.”

“No!” Padme stood as she vehemently opposed the Jedi Master’s proposal. “Absolutely not!”

“Strong in the Force they both are. Beacons each one is to anyone trained to detect the presence of Force sensitives. Together, they are like a lighthouse on the edge of a dark and stormy sea. Though repulsed as Darth Vader is to return to his former homeworld, drawn there he would be.”

As both Bail Organa and Obi-Wan rose from their seats, Padme backed away, almost tripping over the chair she’d vacated. “I won’t let you take my babies from me! I’ll take them by myself to some unknown world on the outer rim. Not even you will be able to find me!” She turned and ran out of the room.

~~~

Obi-Wan was about to go after her, but Senator Organa forestalled him. “Let me talk to her.” He turned to leave even as the Jedi nodded affirmation.

Yoda stood beside his chair with his cane out in front of him. He shook his head in sorrow, “Well, that did not go.”

“Now that’s the understatement of the century.” Qui-Gon’s blue-tinged image appeared silhouetted in the window. “You must have known she would not easily agree to give away her child. She is like a Dathomiran rillo which are normally peaceful, but a nursing mother will tear apart a herd of rancor if her brood is threatened.”

While masters Yoda and Qui-Gon spoke, Obi-wan stared out the window as he stroked his beard in deep thought.

~~~

Though he knew Padme had a sizable lead, Bail decided to walk swiftly instead of running. He knew she had to go back to the room she was taken to after she delivered the twins. When approaching the door, he heard weeping and sprinted the rest of the way. Even as he entered, he heard C3P0 fretting.

“Oh, dear, what has happened, Milady? What may I do to be of service?”

“Padme.” Bail gently laid a hand on her shoulder, and she spun around and stepped back in alarm.

As she looked up at him, her mouth quivered even as she struggled to control her crying. “You can’t change my mind, Bail.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.” She was suddenly in his arms, her head buried in his tunic as her body was wracked by sobs. He held her, stroking the back of her head to comfort her. When her weeping eased, he quietly asked, “Where will you go?”

Pulling away, Padme wiped the tears from her eyes. “I don’t know. I... just can’t let them take my babies.”

The distinguished senator swallowed. He hated himself for the hope he held when Yoda had suggested the babies had to be separated. The hope that he could adopt the girl. For Breha. Even so, and even though he had moments before said he would not try to change his friend’s mind, he quietly replied, “Leia would be well cared for if you allowed Breha and me to raise her.”

He turned his head away from the shocked expression on Padme’s face. “I’m sorry,” he ran his fingers through his hair as he continued speaking, “I... I’m sorry. You know Breha cannot conceive. I just thought perhaps...” He looked back at his friend. “Forget I said anything.” He quickly turned and walked toward the door, feeling like a traitor to both Padme and his wife. “I’m sorry.”

“Bail, wait!”

He stopped within the frame of the door, not daring to turn to look at her. He heard some soft rustling, then a hand gently touching his back. He turned to see Padme gazing up at him with her soft brown eyes. She was holding Leia.

“Take your daughter.”

He was too stunned to move or speak.

“Padme...” he finally managed, but then his voice broke.

“Please, don’t make this more difficult than it already is for me. I know you and Breha will love her as much as I do. Please, take her.”

Bail silently put his hands out, and as Leia was transferred to his arms, he marvelled at just how light the bundle felt. Even as he started to thank Padme, she shook her head. “Just take good care of her.” She turned away. “Oh, and take Threepio with you. He’s too conspicuous for a family going into hiding.”

Bail swallowed before saying, “Okay.” Even as the golden protocol droid walked towards them, the Senator placed one hand on Padme’s shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze. “Farewell, Padme,” was all he trusted himself to say before turning to leave the room.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awwwwww! Hard choices indeed @};- but a wise decision and the best for everyone. [face_thinking]

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Such hard choices, but Leia is going to two great parents, and it will (hopefully) keep everyone safe.

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Such a hard decision for a mother to make, but sometimes the hard decisions can be almost be "easy" due to that very love - the same kind that let Shmi bid goodbye to Anakin.

14. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hello there. :)

This story caught my attention instantly. What a great concept.

The return of Padme's resolve is a joy to read. Luke's birth being the catalyst for her regained strength makes perfect sense. And her unique relationship with Obi-Wan is quite interesting. I wonder where it shall lead.

Your original ideas are weaved into canon so well here. They flow very naturally, and have that Star Wars feel. Even the slight changes resonated strongly with me. A good example is the Mustafar exchange. I liked your choices in dialogue there.

My favorite aspect so far is the inclusion of Qui-Gon. His interactions with Yoda and Obi-Wan are written well. And you explained the mysteries of the force better than RoS. :D

I'm looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing. =D=

~epithree

15. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Yoda is right about the twins being a beacon....together they could attract trouble, but apart, they could get strong and receive different training. Nice Post.

16. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I love this! Gosh poor Padmé had to give up her daughter. [face_worried] A difficult but still a wise decision.

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm looking forward to see how the new 'family' will deal with all their problems -- nice post.

18. Cindy Renee Miller

Cindy Renee Miller Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2012
    Really enjoying this tale. The thing that always really depressed me about e3 is that Padme died and so much was left to chance. I'm a fan of any kind of Tragic or Forbidden Love tale, such as Romeo and Juliet and Tristan and Isolde, I just am always sad when the one dies, the other is left, and they kill themselves or give up. I like this story because Padme found it in her to live after the trauma, and she got to have some sort of say in how the twins grew up.[face_alien]

19. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Jade_eyes and Briannakin and Catsmeow : Yes, it is a very hard decision to make, and Valairy Scot I'm not sure it would every be really easy, but yeah, when you know it is the best thing for the child to give them up, the love for that child can give you the strength to do what is right... i think it would be harder to give up a child you've seen grow for about ten years than an infant though.​
    epithree : The Mustafar dialogue was actually directly from the screenplay, and I just inserted Padme's thoughts and feelings. I also took some of the dialogue from the ROTS screenplay for the interaction between Yoda and Qui-Gon.​
    pronker : hehe, some of the problems will be quite entertaining, I assure you.​
    Cindy Renee Miller : It didn't so much depress me that Padme died, because it was already inferred in the OT.. the way she died actually angered me because it felt so out of character for her to give up like that. I know hormones can make a woman's personality change somewhat, but dang it, this wimpy Padme from RoTS was just too much... hence this AU.​
    I'm glad you're all enjoying this. This next chapter I back tracked just a bit for better flow of the scene.​
    Chapter 4:
    A New Family

“Leia would be well cared for if you allowed Breha and me to raise her.”

Padme could not believe what she was hearing. She stared at him, feeling betrayed once more. “You want to take Leia from me?” She could see the shame written clearly on Bail’s face before he turned away. Her mind raced as she remembered what Yoda had said. Are they really such in danger if they stay together? Is abandoning one the only way to keep them both safe? She had not thought her heart could break any more than when she realized Anakin had turned his back on everything decent. How many babies did he kill at the Temple?

“I’m sorry.” Bail’s voice returned her attention to him. “I-I’m I’m sorry. You know Breha cannot conceive. I just thought perhaps... Forget I said anything.” Padme watched as he walked away from her, shoulders slumped. “I’m sorry.”

Padme’s heart softened as she understood how hard it was for him to ask this of her. She had always looked up to this gentle, peace-loving man who had the fortitude to stand up for what he believed in. She knew how grievous it had been over the past decade for him and his wife, Queen Breha. Just as he reached the door, she called out, “Bail, wait!”

The dim lighting in the room combined with the hallway’s brighter illumination served to make a silhouette of the slender senator’s frame. As he stood there, keeping his back turned to her, Padme carefully picked up Leia. She kissed the sleeping infant on the tip of her nose and hugged her.

“I love you, Leia, but I must say ‘goodbye,’ she whispered even as she quickly went over to Bail. She reached a trembling hand out to touch his back. When he turned to face her, she held Leia out to him. “Please, take your daughter.”

She fought back tears at the stunned expression on Bail’s face. Padme heard his voice break as he spoke her name. “Please, don’t make this more difficult than it already is for me. I know you and Breha will love her as much as I do. Please, take her.”

Once Leia was held safely by Bail, she reflected that her own arms never felt so empty.

“Than...” The tall man’s words were cut off by a shake of her head.

“Just take good care of her.” She turned away, not trusting herself to watch him walk out the door with her child. Spotting C3P0 looking back at her with its head tilted, she added, “Oh, and take Threepio with you. He’s too conspicuous for a family going into hiding.”

“Okay.” She felt Bail placed one hand on her shoulder as he said, “Farewell.”

She felt a bit guilty when she was too choked up to say anything as she heard his footsteps recede. Walking over to the bassinets once more, she reached down to caress Luke’s cheek with one finger. Hearing someone talking out in the hallway, she looked back at the door and saw Bail standing just outside along with C3P0. Even though she could not see with whom he was speaking, she recognized Obi-Wan Kenobi’s voice. They were speaking too low for her to hear what they were saying.

She turned back to gaze at Luke, feeling drained of emotion.

“Padme.”

She felt a hand on her shoulder and knew it was Obi-Wan. A sudden surge of anger made her quickly wheel around and swing a hand up to bat his away. “Don’t touch me! Don’t pretend you care about what I’m going through! You Jedi only care about your precious Force, not for individual people. Unfeeling, cold, calculating...” She was about to call him a monster, but held back. Instead, she turned away and said in a quieter tone, “Just leave me alone.”

“As you wish.”

Padme closed her eyes and sighed before turning once more. “Obi-Wan, please don’t go.” She bit her bottom lip as she watched him stop in the doorway and look back at her. “I’m sorry, you didn’t deserve that.” She felt warm tears sting her cheeks and quickly brushed them away on her sleeve. “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to cry,” she said in exasperation when more tears flowed down her cheeks and her vision blurred.

Feeling a touch on her arm, she stepped into Obi-Wan’s embrace and wept uncontrollably on his shoulder. Once she was able to stop crying, she pulled away and looked up at her friend. “I’m so embarrassed.” She blushed.

“For what? Needing a shoulder to cry on?”

“I just feel so out of control. My emotions are all over the place.”

“I’d say you are entitled. You’ve gone through so much the past couple days.”

“So have you.” Padme reached over to take Obi-Wan’s hand. She studied his face as she continued to speak, “The Jedi are your family, and you lost so many in one fell swoop.” She squeezed his hand. “How are you holding up?”

~~~

“How are you holding up?”

Obi-Wan took a deep breath and slowly released it as he considered telling her the truth... that his mind and soul was a whirl of conflicting thoughts and emotions. On the personal level, what happened with Anakin made him doubt himself. The mass slaughter of his fellow Jedi... as well as his former padawan’s role in that... made him doubt aspects of the Jedi Code and Grandmaster Yoda’s wisdom and leadership. He looked away from Padme’s steady gaze, feeling uncomfortable. He did not feel ready to talk about that yet. They were going to spend quite a bit of time together as ‘man and wife’, so it would be only natural for them to build upon their friendship and take each other into mutual confidence. He just did not think it right dumping his own burden on her when she already had a heavy load. Relief flooded him when Luke woke up crying.

He watched Padme expertly pick up her son and was amazed when he immediately stopped crying.

“Yeah, it’s okay. Mommy’s here,” Padme crooned as she gently swayed while cradling the day-old infant. She looked up at Obi-Wan and tilted her head slightly as she asked, “Do you want to hold him?”

Surprised by the question, he hesitated.

“You’re going to have to acquaint yourself with him soon. After all, if we’re going to be posing as a family, you’ll be taking on the role of father... at least publicly.”

Obi-Wan caught the question in her tone of voice. He had not had a chance to really think about that aspect of their plan. Of course he would be the father-figure. He thought back to when Anakin had commented that he was the closest thing to a father he had ever had. I wasn’t ready to be a father. I had always thought of Anakin and I more as brothers whose father had passed away, and myself as the older brother had to watch out for the younger. Perhaps that is part of why I made such a disaster of things.

“Obi-Wan?” Padme was watching him with an expectant expression on her face.

“Oh, yes, of course!” He came to her with his hands held out to accept the baby.

“You’re good at holding him,” Padme observed.

“I’m not a complete novice handling infants, you know. I was assigned creche duty when I was a padawan... to teach me patience.” He smiled as she giggled.

“I’m sorry, I can’t picture you as ever being other than the perfect Jedi, the picture of serenity.”

“Didn’t you know, part of the Jedi’s training is how to act?” He cleared his throat and recited the only line he knew from Filorean, a play written by Lyechusas. This time, he joined in her laughter. He looked down at Luke who was now asleep in his arms. “Well, he doesn’t seem to be impressed either.”

Standing next to Obi-Wan, Padme peered into the blanket at her son. “He’s comfortable with you,” she replied softly as she laid her head against his shoulder.

The Jedi felt a warmth as he sensed a familial bond begin. Careful, he thought, don’t become attached.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ouch! I can totally understand Padme's lashing out momentarily [face_thinking] :( but I like how she immediately wanted to set things right again; a sweet trait. :D Obi's thoughts =D= very much in character and appropos to the situation. It would be odd indeed if he didn't and wasn't questioning everything :p

Awwwwwww! That last scene :) and please do, get attached LOL ;)

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Aw! A very sweet ending to a very rough chapter for Padmè.

22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    It all seems neatly set up, perfectly 'human' to pose as a family. I wouldn't be surprised if Yoda sees something going on already, and has words of warning. Nice touch - that Obi-Wan begins to doubt all that he has heretofore held sacred, such as the code and Yoda's interpretation of it.

23. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Powerful installment.

Obi-Wan doubting the code was a nice touch. Totally understandable.

Looking forward to more. =D=

24. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Sad that Obi-Wan doesn't want to become attached. :( But I suspect that it will change soon.

Tag me when you update again. I'm loving this story.

25. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    LOL Jade_eyes I think what makes Obi-Wan so adorable is his irritating adherence to the rules... that and well, never mind, that violates TOS [face_mischief]
    Briannakin thanks :)
    pronker yep, Yoda always has words of warning... about time he gets some back :p
    epithree it would be illogical not to rethink things after everything that happened, right? You won't have to wait too long.​
    JediMaster_Jen tag, you're it. I'm not givin' anything away on which changes will occur.​
    Jedi_Liz tag.. I think I forgot to tag you last chapter. Sorry​
    Chapter 5
    Faith and Attachment

Padme became suddenly aware of the body contact between her and her friend and pulled away with a blush. The Jedi put Luke back in his bassinet then turned to look at her with those ever-observant azure eyes that seemed to read her very soul.

“You know, even though we’ll be posing as man and wife, I will never expect us to be together as such in private. You still love Anakin, and are loyal to him. I respect that, Padme. Besides that, I would not betray Anakin by making a move on you. I failed him as his master, I won’t fail him as his brother.”

Feeling weak in the knees, she went over to the bed and sat heavily upon the semi-firm mattress. Obi-Wan’s words cut right to the core of what she did not even realize was worrying her. She trusted her friend, but had worried that somehow the pretense of marriage would become a reality over time. She did not object when he came to sit next to her and took her hand in both of his.

“We must get comfortable with touching each other in public so there will be no question in strangers’ minds that we are married.”

Padme nodded. “Of course, I know that. You are the only person I could trust to do this.” She placed her free hand over his and gazed into his eyes. “You still didn’t answer my question from earlier.”

“Which question was that?”

They heard someone clearing their throat. Looking over at the door in unison, they saw Master Yoda in the doorway and Padme wondered how long he had been standing there.

~~~

Yoda stood in the doorway to Padme’s hospital room observing her and Master Kenobi talking to each other. They were seated next to each other, holding hands. What was said was not important to him, but what he saw in the Force. He sensed the two were forming a bond, which of course was natural. He frowned though as he considered the younger master may form an attachment that would be unhealthy. Obi-Wan’s inner turmoil had not gone unnoticed by the wizened Jedi. He decided it was time to speak to him in private. Announcing himself by clearing his throat, he spoke when both the senator and his fellow Jedi looked over at him. “Alone with you I must speak, Obi-Wan.” Without waiting for acknowledgement, he walked away.

As expected, it did not take long for the human to catch up to the diminutive Jedi who took his time walking down the hallway. Together, they walked in silence until they came to the observation dome. Yoda hobbled to the center in the room and sat with his back to Obi-Wan, legs folded in front of him and his staff cradled in his lap. Once the latter sat down in mirror fashion next to him, he stated simply, “Careful you must be of attachment.”

“I know, Master Yoda.”

Obi-Wan’s tone of voice was respectful as always, yet the elder felt a ripple of resentment in the Force. “Question you do, all you have held to be true, yes?” Yoda glanced over at the young man.

“Not everything, Master.” Obi-Wan was staring out the window as he spoke. “I hope you don’t take this as disrespect,” he turned his head and their eyes met, “but, aspects of our interpretation of the Jedi code seem to have been erroneous.”

A mirthless chuckle came from Yoda as he broke Master Kenobi’s frank gaze and looked up at the stars. “By ‘our interpretation’, you mean mine.” When his declaration was met by silence, he continued, “No disrespect was taken, my friend. Natural it is, when such upheaval has occurred, to rethink things. Question and examine, we all should, our understanding of the Jedi Code.”

“So, you too have doubts?”

Yoda nodded. “Perfect, I never professed to be. Mistakes I have made in my life. Some have proved to be catastrophic for everyone involved. There is blame to be taken by many, including myself, on what has transpired. Foolish it would be to deny. Dwelling on guilt is equally unwise.”

From the corner of his eyes, Yoda saw Obi-Wan nod and sensed a release from the younger Jedi. He smiled in satisfaction. Both Jedi sat together for a few minutes, staring out at the expansive vista. Neither of them were surprised at the appearance of Qui-Gon Jinn sitting in front of them, his legs also folded in front of him.

“I believe both of you are ready for your first lesson.”

~~~

“There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force,” Qui-Gon recited the mantra that was the basis for the Jedi Code. “That was what we were all taught since before even Yoda’s parents were born. Do either of you know the original form?” He smiled gently when neither of them could come up with the answer and provided it himself. “Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge. Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony. Death, yet the Force.”

The image of the Jedi Master watched the expressions on his student’s faces as the differences sank in.

“Though basically it is the same mantra, the meaning is much different,” Obi-Wan commented. The teacher’s expression remained impassive as though he was waiting for the young Jedi to elaborate. He was not disappointed. “While the one shows a detachment from life outside the Jedi Temple, the first seems more connected to reality.”

Qui-Gon’s eyes settled on Yoda whose lips had thinned and ears had pulled back and down. There was a glimmer of humor in the force-ghost’s eyes as he stated in the older master’s manner, “Disapprove, do you?”

“Attachment, the older mantra seems to accept.”

“I beg to differ, Master,” Obi-Wan replied, “it is acknowledging that emotion, ignorance, passion and death do exist, yet peace, knowledge, serenity, harmony and the Force can be found within them.” He blushed slightly as he amended, “At least that is what I perceived.” He looked at Qui-Gon with a questioning expression.

“Very good, my padawan.” He glanced over at Yoda as he continued speaking, “Material possessions and people are not the only things one can become attached to. In some ways, beliefs and ideas can have more of a grip on us than anything we can hold in our hands. Think on this until our next lesson.”

Qui-Gon’s image faded away while he was yet speaking the final sentence.

The two Jedi sat together in silence for a few minutes, each contemplating the lesson. It was Yoda who broke the stillness. “Heard you before, the alternate mantra?”

“No, Master. It was the first I learned of it.”

“Yet it seems you took too it quite readily.”

Obi-Wan thought for a moment before answering. “It echoed the questions I’ve been having since I confronted Anakin. I’d been thinking that perhaps we had become too detached. Not that I question the rule of no attachments, but...” he paused as he searched for the right words. “We have been raised from the time we are quite young in the Jedi Way. Anakin was raised differently until he was almost 10-years-old. We... I was very strict with him in teaching the rules. Perhaps in learning not to let our emotions and passions govern us, we should also not let rules govern us. I mean, not that we should let chaos rule, but that we should be able to bend rules when they need bending. I used the same methods to teach him that was used to teach younglings that had already been raised in the Jedi Way. I could have listened better to Anakin, and found a way to get through to him differently instead of making him conform to our strict edicts. Perhaps then he would have been more comfortable coming to me when he was troubled.” He chuckled as he ran a finger through his hair. “I’m not sure if all I said made sense.”

“The spirit of the code instead of the letter of the code, we should live by, hm?”

Obi-Wan nodded.

Yoda laughed. “A warning of no attachment I needed, not you.”

The younger Jedi smiled and shook his head. “I think we both need the warning. Too bad it came too late to save Anakin.”

“Who is to say it was too late?” A woman’s voice asked from behind them. The two Jedi looked over their shoulders to see Padme standing at the entrance. She was holding Luke. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt. I was just going for a much needed walk. One of the medical droids told me of this room, and I thought it sounded like a nice place to think about... things. I didn’t know you were in here.”

As she was speaking, both Obi-Wan and Yoda rose to their feet.

“There is still good in Anakin. I know it. It isn’t too late.”

The two Jedi glanced at each other, knowing what the other was thinking. It was the elder who walked over to Padme. Looking up at her, he spoke frankly. “Know, I do your displeasure at me for what I said at our last meeting. Sorry, I am for the pain it caused you. Please do not think I wish to cause you more sorrow.”

“Master Yoda, I know now you were right about Luke and Leia. I... let Bail take Leia to be raised as his and Breha’s daughter.” She paused to swallow when her voice broke. Her eyes kept contact with Yoda’s as she continued, “I think I know what you’re about to say. That by the time Luke and Leia are old enough to influence Anakin, there might not be any good left in him... that the dark in him would drown out all light, right?”

It was the Jedi Grandmaster who broke eye contact by looking down at the floor, his ears drooping. “I fear that may be so.”

“I’m probably being stubborn... or attached, if you will... but I have faith that that will not be so.” When both Obi-Wan and Yoda remained silent, she added, “I don’t know how to explain this, but I... just know Luke and Leia will help bring Ani back to us. I may not be Force sensitive, but...” She shook her head, not knowing how to explain her certainty that the light that shined so bright in her husband has not been, nor will it be, extinguished.

Yoda finally raised his head, his ears perking up as he re-established eye contact with her. “Two lessons I have learned today. One about attachment, and one about faith. Hope, you give me.” He bowed his head to her. “Thank you, Padme.