main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT So Much More Than Fairytales: The Courtship of Prince Bail (Bail/Breha) - Completed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , May 22, 2015.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Intense and poignant. Breha's realization coupled with the daunting prognosis - ouch! Bail is no doubt caught between what is politically expedient and personally desired.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Oh no! But even though she can't have children, she can still be with the man she loves and who loves her so very much. She is trying to do the noble thing here, but Bail won't allow her to throw away her happiness over this.

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Well, Bail isn't too caught :p

Exactly.

Thanks for reading and reviewing gals [:D] I'm trying to finish this fic in the onslaught of all the TFA bunnies :p

Chapter 17

Breha let out a shaky breath as she let her legs dangle. She was sitting on the side of the bed, still bandaged and hooked up to drips. Nurses had told her she couldn’t be discharged until they got her bone density back up to manageable levels, but she needed to escape this medcentre. Perhaps it was the drugs, but Breha was firmly convinced that she needed to leave Alderaan before the media, or her grandmother, got word of her break up.

Oh, stars, she was actually broken up, physically and emotionally. Her life had been worked out; her future organized. Now she had been thrusted into the realm of uncertain questions and blank paths. She was going nowhere and she had no idea how to get there.

Tears welled up again as she realized her plan to comm Raymus and get him to bring her clothes and to smuggle her off-planet was filled with holes. The nurses weren’t going to remove the bone-knitters or drips and Raymus was too close to Bail to be trusted.

She laid her head in her hands, feeling like she had wasted a year of her life and now she was lost. She became aware of the ring Bail gave her on her finger indenting into her forehead. She knew she should take it off, but couldn’t bring herself to.

The sound of the doors cycling open made Breha look up. Bail stood in the threshold, still looking disheveled, holding a vase of blooming deep purple riesum flowers, the thin petals curved back from the centre perfectly, and a plain brown bag.

Breha turned away from him, her eyes going to the blank, blue wall. “What would you like, Ba-” she stopped herself from saying his name. That was too personal. “Your highness?”

He swiftly crossed the empty space to her bedside, put the vase on the bedside table, then knelt at her feet. This caught Breha’s attention and she couldn’t help but be curious.

Bail looked deep into her eyes as he pleaded with her. “I want you to listen to what I have to say before you give me your answer, and you are allowed to say no at the end of this all. I know we both know I asked you to marry me because my mother is dying. And I apologize for that because it made it seem like I was asking you out of duty to my planet. Perhaps, at the time, just a few weeks ago, I was. But since then, I have continued to fall in love with you. Screw the planet. Screw my duty. We can make this work. We can try to have a baby, or we can adopt.” He interrupted his speech by hurriedly digging through the brown cloth bag and producing a piece of flimsy. On it was what looked like a replication of a page from an old flimsy book.

“I knew this was on the records somewhere,” he continued, handing her the flimsy. She could tell he was a bit excited. “So I went to the parliamentary library. This is the succession laws written by my ancestor, the original Queen Organa.

Breha took a moment to read:

It is declared that the succession order for the head of the Royal House of the Organas of Alderaan shall be, first and foremost, the queen’s eldest living daughter. This daughter can be of natural birth, or adopted into and raised by the Royal House before her first birthday. If no daughter is living, the wife of a son may be selected as heir. In the case of…

The document continued to dictate the succession order, but Bail interrupted her reading.

“I know you wanted your own child, and I am so sorry that we may never have that, but I love you. I want to be with you no matter what happens. I loved you when I asked you to marry me and I have fallen for you completely. You make me fall in love with you more every day. I don’t know how it’s possible, but I do. You treat me like a normal man. Your laugh makes me smile and your smile brightens my day. You truly are my sunshine, as cheesy as that is. I’m not going to ask you to marry me again. I am going to ask you to give me the chance to make you fall in love with me. Breha, will you give me that chance? Will you fall in love with me?” He then reached into the bag, pulled out a black box and opened it. Inside was a pearlescent white metallic necklace. Then pendant was two hoops, interconnected.

Breha whipped away tears, this time, from happiness. She nodded. “I already have.”

With a gasp of relief, Bail stood up and gently embraced her, careful no to hurt her. She clutched at his back as she pressed her face into his already dirty shirt. Her tears slowly soaked it, not that he cared. He gently smoothed her hair.

“I’m here,” he said softly, simply holding her.

Eventually, Bail found himself lying in Breha’s medcenter bed, his fiancee still sniffling atop of him. He let her get her emotions out as he relished the fact that she was finally letting him cuddle with her. He felt guilty for enjoying it when Breha was clearly, and rightfully, upset. She had practically forced him to comm his mother and let her know of Breha’s condition. The queen, thankfully, took it well that any grandchildren would be adopted, and wished Breha better.

He then noticed movement out of the corner of his eye. Through the observation-flexi, which led out into the hall, he saw Breha’s mother, grandparents, and Raymus.

“Bre,” he whispered. “Your family is here. Do you want me to let them in?”

Breha let out a shuttering sigh as she wiped her face with a corner of the stiff sheet. “No, I don’t want to see them, but you should let them in,” she said, letting him get up.

Bail let them in. Riginus and Raymus were instantly at her side. “What’s wrong?” her grandfather asked.

Breha took a few deep breaths. “Perhaps it is best if we all sit down so I only have to go through this once.”

With Bail at her side, holding her hand, Breha explained to her family what ostia-phromitia was, but that she and Bail were going to make it.

Her family all comforted her in turn, but she did not cry. It made Bail feel honoured in a way, as he watched the familiar affair from the corner of the room. She had cried her heart out in his arms, yet she would not cry in front of her family.

Raymus and Bail escaped to smuggle in nerf burgers. Peranda was not too happy about the selection for dinner, but Breha was pleased.

Eventually, Breha yawned. “It’s been a long day. I want to get some rest so I can try to convince my doctors to release me tomorrow.”

“You make it sound like prison,” Raymus said with a laugh. “But I think visiting hours are nearly over, I’ll get the old people out.”

Breha watched as Bail said goodbye to her family. He was so respectful of her family; he generally cared for them. It made her happy.

When the door cycled closed, he waltzed back to her bed with a smile. He sat on the edge of the bed.

“You should get headed back home too. Get some rest,” she said, running her hand down his arm.

“No, it’s okay, I can —.” He was interrupted by his data-pad pinging on the bedside table.

Breha leaned forward to look at the message across the screen. She read it out loud. “Payment has processed.” She gave him a look of mild displeasure. “Payment for what? Why do I have a feeling you did something while I was out?”

Bail grinned. “I passed it by security and got you an apartment.”

Breha let out an excited gasp. “I should be saying humble stuff like ‘you didn’t have to,’ but thank you so much.” She pulled him down for a gentle hug and a quick kiss on the lips.

“I figured I might need a place to escape to as well. You haven’t asked for much as I’ve shoved you into this life. It was the least I could do. It’s a lovely one-bedroom penthouse —”

“Penthouse?” she exclaimed. “No, Bail. I just want a simple apartment.”

He chuckled as he looked down at his hands. “I know, I know, and it was the simplest, smallest, place I could find that security was alright with. No one will know - for security reasons. I’ll contact your roommates and we will get you moved in.”

“Thank you, Bail,” she said, settling back into the pillows.

“Consider it our first anniversary gift.”

“That’s right!” she said with a gasp. She put her head in her hand. “I completely lost track of the days. Your gift is at the cabin.”

“It’s fine,” he assured her, running his knuckles down her upper arm. “Your actual gift is at the cabin too. Letting me cuddle you most of today was the best gift you could have given me.”

She lightly blushed. “Now, you should go home, please - have a decent meal, have a sani-steam and shave for stars sake. And rest. For both of us.”

“Fine,” Bail said with a sigh. “But comm me if you need me. I love you,” he said, sincerely, looking into her eyes. He leaned down again and kissed her.

She kissed him back. “I love you too,” she replied as they parted.

Bail dashed through the rain. His feet pounded on the sopping wet duracrete in time to his thumping heart. It was night here in the city of Coronet, on the planet of Corellia. Only streetglows lit his search. He had been tipped off that she was here.

Bail pushed back the memory of returning to an empty medcenter bed. After she had been told she couldn’t have any children, she had left him, for his sake.

He turned a street corner and saw an alleyway full of homeless beings, sleeping in tents made of scraps of tattered fabric and shipping boxes.

“Hey, pretty boy!” an older, toothless, Devaronian female shouted from her tent. Her brown fur was matted. She emerged from her “home” with a limp. Bail cautiously pulled his black cloak tighter around his body. His hand went to the small blaster at his hip. “Who ya lookin’ fer?”

“Breha,” he said, quickly. He saw his breath in the frigid air as he spoke.

The Devaronian’s dark eyes lit up. “Oh. Sweet girl; sad story. Follow me,” she said, limping off.

Bail followed the woman down the row to a lump of hole-filled blankets on top of a soggy, flattened shipping container. Surrounding the lump was empty hard-liquor bottles and intravenous drug paraphernalia. Bail wasn’t sure he got the right place, but then the Devaronian brushed the top of the pile.

“Bre, you have a visitor.” The alien then walked off.

Slowly, as if with a tremendous amount of effort and pain, the lump sat up and formed a woman. “Bail?” A clearly broken and un-mended hand pushed back a ragged hood, revealing Breha’s dark eyes and pale skin. Her dark hair was a tangled mess

“Oh, Sunshine,” he gasped, instantly kneeling at her side.

“What are you doing here? After all this time?” she asked, her voice hurt.

“I came for you. I love you. I’ve been searching the galaxy for you.”

“Bail, you shouldn’t have. It just breaks me to see you. I know you have a wife. I saw her on the holos: the Senator from Naboo. She’s pregnant with twins. You are happy.” She then gently pushed him away. “No, perhaps it is for the best you came. I got to see the man I love one final time, and I’ll get to die in your arms.” She then pulled a blaster from the folds of her blankets and shot herself, leaving her lifeless corpse limp in his arms.

Bail woke with a yell: “Breha!” His heart was pounding; his blue sheets were tangled and drenched in sweat. For once in his life, Bail was glad he was not Force-sensitive. It had just been a dream - a nightmare. He took a few deep, calming breaths as he looked around his dark suite. He was in his bed at the palace.

Breha had told him at the medcentre to go home, have a sanisteam and groom, eat a half-decent meal, and get some sleep. At least he had done four of those things.

With a grunt, he swung his legs out and got out of the large, low bed and stumbled into his closet. He pulled on a pair of dark brown pants and a dark green sweater with a large collar. He put on his utility belt, quickly groomed and was out the door.

By the time that Bail arrived at the medcentre, the sun’s light was barely peeking up over the horizon. The halls were quite except for a few nurses and droids. He smiled at the two security guards in their blue uniforms standing at their posts in front of Breha’s door.

He entered quietly. Breha was peacefully asleep, tucked in. Her chest rose and fell rhythmically. Bail gave her hand a soft kiss before settling down at her side in the poorly padded lounger.

Now he could sleep.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEE! And melt! Bail is a darling. [face_dancing] Spooky dream he had there, no wonder he dashed back!

His relief was palpable I'll bet finding her still there. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for reading and commenting NH! Bail is indeed a darling.

AN: This is a very short fluff chapter. I had no idea where it was going, but I wanted to show how sheltered Breha was. Plus I wanted to celebrate being very nearly done PART 2 (only a few more scenes) AND GETTING OVER THE 50,000 WORD MARK! Part 3 will hopefully be shorter.

Chapter 18

“You really don’t have to do this,” Breha said with a light laugh as she clutched onto Bail, feeling the stiff fabric of his grey overcoat under her hand. She had been released from the medcentre just a few minutes ago after four days of boredom in a bed. Now she was blindfolded with a dark slate blue scarf and Bail was leading her to her new home.

“I know, but it’s fun for me. We are in the turbo lift now,” Bail said. She heard him type in a code and the lift began to move. “This code will take you directly to your apartment and no one else has access to it.”

“Am I going to know the code to my own place?”

Bail laughed. “Yes.” He told her the code before the doors opened. He placed his hand at the small of her back and led her in a few steps. “Alright.” He then took the blindfold off. She looked around the simple, yet high class apartment. The kitchen was small, decorated in whites and silvers. It had an open floor plan with the living room that contained a large grey couch, comm station and viewscreen.

“Behind the living room is the ‘fresher and the bed-chambers. All your things are already in there,” Bail told her. “I know it looks rather staged, but I figured it would be easier to resell afterwards.”

“Thank you,” she said. “It’s perfect.”

“Your mother tried to convince me to host a housewarming party, but I knew you’d be tired.” He rubbed her upper back.

She turned and rested her head on his shoulder. “You are the best.”

He laughed. “Just remember that in two weeks at our engagement party.”

“Don’t even mention that,” she said with a disgusted moan. “I don’t even want to know what your mother and my grandmother have conjured up in my absence.”

“I’ve kinda just let them go at it.”

Breha groaned. “Just another thing I have to deal with.”

“Come on,” he said, let me give you the ‘grand tour’.”

She let him take her hand and guide her around the suite. The kitchen was state-of-the-art, not that she knew anything about the appliances. There was no balcony, though there was a large curved viewport with a long bench under it - perfect for reading, she thought. He then led her to the ‘fresher and the bed chambers.

“It’s lovely,” she commented, taking in the crisp, white room with dark blue accents. The bed was large and looked extremely soft. It floated high off the warm wood floor.

“Why don’t you head to bed? I unpacked everything. I’ll go scope out the plan for our engagement party and see if I can cancel anything too ridiculous.”

She nodded. “Alright, but no sneaking back here in the middle night.”

He looked at her, confused, like her statement came out of nowhere.

“I know you were coming back to the medcentre after I had sent you home.”

“I did not,” he defended himself.

Breha put her hands on her hips and gave him a pointed, disbelieving look.

“It was early in the morning when I snuck back in,” he said with grin.

She rolled her eyes, but then perched on her toes and gave him a quick kiss. “Go, please.”

“Alright,” he heaved. “Though, please, comm me if you need anything.”

“Yes, dear, I will,” she said, slightly mocking him.

After Bail dutifully obeyed - but not before sneaking another kiss - Breha quietly got ready for bed in a flowing yellow nightgown. After being in the medcentre the silence in her new apartment was unnerving. Though she was glad when she slid into the crisp sheets and laid her head down.

Breha woke suddenly, her eyes taking a moment to adjust to the dim evidence of Aldera’s nightlife streaming in through the slats in the viewport coverings. She leaned over. The chrono on the nightstand flashed 0117. It was the fourth time in just three hours that she had woken suddenly.

She dared not get out of the bed. There was a disturbing clicking noise coming from her downstairs neighbour. The logical part of her brain told her that it was just some antique chrono old, rich people have. The illogical part of her told her to hide under the covers.

Perhaps it wasn’t her greatest idea to spend her first night alone, in her new apartment, still slightly feeling the painkillers. Reaching over, she tapped on the light, then pulled the covers up over her head.

After a restless night, Breha laid on her back, surrounded by pillows, every few minutes she’d look at the chrono. She was determined to either fall back to sleep by 0800, or else she would get up.

She then heard her penthouse turbo lift arrive and the doors open. Her pulse quickened as she heard footsteps. With a hand clasped over her mouth, she reached for her commlink and dialled the first code she could think of: Bail’s.

Ringing came from her kitchen and she felt her heart stop. Bail had left his comm in her penthouse. She terminated the call.

Pots and pans rattled as her mind raced. Her mouth yelled before her brain thought. “I’m warning you!” she screamed, edging out of the bed and reaching for the nearest object: a pillow. Her dark hair cascaded around her shoulders. “My fiancè is a powerful man!”

Her bedchamber doors then opened. “Well, good to know you think so highly of me,” Bail said sticking his head into the room.

“Bail,” she gasped. Her cheeks turned red and she held the pillow over her face. “You could have told me it was you!”

“Sorry,” he chuckled. “I thought you were still asleep. I was going to surprise you with breakfast. You look beautiful.”

“You shouldn’t see me like this. My hair isn’t done. It’s traditional for a groom not to see his bride with her hair down until their first night.”

Bail heaved a sigh. “Really, Bre? I’m not sure how drugged you were at the medcentre, but you spent much of the past four days with your hair down, drooling on me.”

“Shut up,” she said, throwing the pillow at him. He dodged it. “Sorry for wanting to keep some mystery alive in our relationship. And to answer your question: I was fairly drugged and I think I still might be. I was up all last night thinking some burglar was in the place.”

“I’m sorry,” he sighed softly. “I should have told you that there’s a full security detail downstairs. One was there all last night. Now, do you want me to make you breakfast before I go to my High Council meeting, or do you want to try to get some more rest, now that you know there is no way a burglar is getting in here?”

“I want both,” she whined, diving back into the bed.

“Okay,” he said, approaching the bed softly and straightening the blankets over her. “I’ll put your breakfast in the themo-regulator when I’m done making it.”

“You are the best, Bail.”

“I love you too, Sunshine.”

Chyntuck and AzureAngel2 like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Very understandable she'd be jumpy in a new place and still with the meds lingering effects. Bail and Breha are sweet together, very much like a bantering married couple already. [face_mischief]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    “I knew this was on the records somewhere,” he continued, handing her the flimsy. She could tell he was a bit excited. “So I went to the parliamentary library. This is the succession laws written by my ancestor, the original Queen Organa.

Breha took a moment to read:

It is declared that the succession order for the head of the Royal House of the Organas of Alderaan shall be, first and foremost, the queen’s eldest living daughter. This daughter can be of natural birth, or adopted into and raised by the Royal House before her first birthday. If no daughter is living, the wife of a son may be selected as heir. In the case of…

The document continued to dictate the succession order, but Bail interrupted her reading.

The way for Leia is free then! [face_party]And she will have foster-parents that love her with all their heart!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    NH:
    Thanks. I love me the banter

AA2:
    Thanks for commenting! Of course the way for Leia had to be free. This fic would be so darn depressing if it weren't.

A/N: So, I have just, unexpectedly, finished this fic! To celebrate; an UPDATE!

Chapter 19

“Am I supposed to be able to breathe?” Breha half-joked as she stood on a platform in the middle of a dressmaker’s studio. Queen Mazicia had selected a dressmaker for both Breha’s gown for the engagement ball - which was coming up in a week - and her wedding gown.

“Well,” the dressmaker, sighed, slightly annoyed. Palatino was a human male, just a few years younger than Bail, bald, slender, with dark skin and freakishly long fingers. From his portfolio, he was extremely talented, but even after just a few minutes with him, Breha could tell that he was going to take this whole process way too seriously. He clearly upset with her nonchalant attitude towards her own royal wedding. “If I had been given the opportunity to take proper measurements, maybe I could have made an engagement gown that would fit better.”

“Well, sorry, I was in a medcentre,” she railed at him. She then looked up at one of the dozens of mirrors in the room. The dress was pink, with wide straps holding up a bodice beaded with gold and silver embellishments, a gold chain loosely around her hips gave way to mountains of pink netting.

She looked like some tall-tale princess.

“Breha, be nice,” her grandmother half groaned, the only other person in the room. Everyone’s patience was running thin.

Breha tried to take a deep breath, which was hard, considering Palatino was crushing her ribs. “Please, just stop. You are hurting me. I don’t think my torso can take much more. The dress you selected is beautiful, but just is not me, nor is it going to fit. Can we please just take a break? I’ll look at your pre-made gowns and select a few. You can have the final say in what I wear.”

“Fine,” he huffed, unfastening the buttons of the dress. “I need something to eat anyways.”

She stepped out of the pool of pink fluff and slid on a loose white robe that she tied at the waist. “Grandma, you should go get some tea,” she said before excusing herself.

Breha soon found herself in Palatino’s inventory room. There were gowns and dresses in every shape, size and colour, all protected in clear, thin plasti. Barefoot, she made her way to her size and started looking through her options.

She then saw it. Her gown. It was the colour of crystal blue water, like the oceans of the southern isles at summer time. The top was a corset style bodice, embroidered with silver leaves and vines, with long, gasping sleeves. Around the waist was a silver rope-like sash that separated the top from the freely flowing bottom.

This was her dress.

She immediately picked it up, along with a few other options - a peach sari in Onderonian fashion, along with a red gown - and hurried back.

When she re-entered the studio, was there, munching on a crisp omelo-fruit. He stopped when he saw her selection.

Before he could speak, she held up her pick. “I think I’m in love.”

He pursed his thin lips. “I was hoping to have you in a spring colour, but that could work. Shame though. Alderaan has gone too long without a princess in pink.”

“I don’t want to look like a princess,” she insisted. “I am already being doubted due to my age. I need to look like a future queen.”

“Then a future queen I shall make,” he said with a resigned sigh. “You are no fun. Let’s get this on you.”

Palatino had Breha in the gown before her grandmother got back. As soon as Peranda Antilles saw her granddaughter, she gasped. “My Breha. You look like a princess.”

“No,” Palatino corrected the older woman as he gently coiled Breha’s braid into a bun. “She looks like a queen.”

Breha was out of her engagement gown by the time Palatino brought up the other issue. He came right out with it. “Have you given any thought to your wedding gown?”

Breha shrugged as she pulled her deep red sweater over her head. “Not really. With my illness, I may experience some weight fluctuations, so I guess a corset back might be the best idea.”

He rolled his eyes. “Details! Details are my worries. I need to know colour, style, and material. You get what every little girl dreams of: a royal wedding. So tell me your dream.”

She sighed. “It might sound old, but I want to be covered in antique lace in a simple cream.”

“It’s a bit galactic to go with a white or off-white. I would have gone with a rich dark blue for you, but I can make it the new Alderaanian fad. Simple, elegant, like a queen.”

“I’d like it modest, with full sleeves, maybe even a high collar.”

“Of course. I think a 5-metre train should be suitable, given the location of the wedding.”

Breha wondered the logistics of dancing in that, but he answered her question. “Don’t worry. I’ll be on hand after the ceremony to bustle it. Now shoes?”

“I’ll be barefoot.”

“What?” both Palatino and her grandmother asked in unison.

“For the ceremony. I will be barefoot. I guess I should get a pair of slippers for everything else.”

He let out a heavy sigh, shaking his head. “I can make you shoes you can wear to the ceremony as well.”

“No. Where I marry Bail will be sacred ground. I will not desecrate holy ceremonies.”

“So you won’t wear colour, but you will go barefoot. Please tell me you will at least let me give you a veil.”

“Yes, you can give me a veil.”

Bail nervously paced the walk-way above the palace’s grand hall. The palace event organizers and other employees were all busy putting the final touches on the engagement ball. There was one long head table that seated 20 with two arms of smaller tables off from either side creating a large arch. Each smaller table sat 10, and there were 50 of those. All the tables were set with fine white linens and pristine silver and white place settings. Twinkling lights interwoven with blue and purple fabric hug from the high ceiling.

The plan for the night was simple: the grand procession, dinner, speeches, followed by dancing. Bail was used to these sorts of nights. They had pretty much become second nature to him. He had brought dates to these sorts of things and he had events like this held in his honour before.

Needless to say, he wasn’t worried about the event. He was worried about Breha’s reaction to it.

He knew she had grown up with dignitaries, though not to the extent that he did. But his mother’s events were so well planned, it was sometimes hard just to smile and do as you were instructed, when and how you were instructed to do so. And Breha, sooner probably than later, would have to run these well organized events. They could be daunting.

A small ahem interrupted his musings. A palace butler was behind him, dressed in blacks. Kkyogri was his name. He bowed, slowly, and spoke in a thick northern-boarder accent. “Sir, Ms. Antilles has finished getting ready for your engagement party a bit early. The grand procession isn’t scheduled to begin for another half-hour. I do believe she is amusing herself by wandering the second floor of the north wing.” Bail swore he saw the older, balding man wink.

“Thank you,” Bail said, with a curt nod and a smile.

As Breha admired many pantings of some of Alderaan’s first queens, she had to remind herself that she was going to be among these historic women one day. There were times this whole thing was so surreal. Even now, in her elaborate gown; with her face panted on; her hair in tiny, delicate plaits twisted and looped into a bun; her feet in high, strappy heels, she did not feel as though this was real.

She wondered if she could live up to these women; carry on and build on what was going to be handed to her. Or would Alderaan crumble from under her. Would she fail? Be known as the last queen of Alderaan? The one who made it all go to chaos?

“You look beautiful.” Bail’s voice interrupted her musings. She turned to see him dressed all in black, with a fine black jacket with a high collar.

“You don’t look half bad yourself,” she said as she waltzed to him. She let him take her hands, lean down and kiss her on her cheek.

“Have I ever shown you my suite? I mean, we will be living there in a few months. I’d like to know if I have to redecorate.”

“No,” she said, taking his hand. “You haven’t. And yes, you probably will have to redecorate.”

He led her down the marble hall to two black, faux wood doors and, with a sweeping motion of his hand, opened the doors. He let her enter first. The suite began with a small sitting area with black couches, a comm-station and a small breakfast bar - all in black.

Then, she walked down a narrow hallway to the bedroom. Clothes were strewn about a large, low bed, also made of black wood, decorated all in black linens. At least there were three large vertical windows that probably let in a lot of light during the day. Nothing pleasant could be said about the monotone dare grey walls.

Bail came up behind her, quickly gathering the clothes. “Uh. I quickly changed after work. The maids only come in once a day. To your left is the refresher, and to the right is the closet.”

After she was silent for what she deemed appropriate for her displeasure, she asked, “Have you always been a Sith Lord, or is this just a new theme you are trying out?”

He laughed. “I decorated it when I first moved out of my mother’s grand suite. I was like 15 then. Some of the stuff is more recent, but I guess I’ve never freshened the theme.”

“Yeah, I can tell,” she said, sitting on the bed. “I guess once most of my stuff is moved in, the place will look look less… villain-like.”

He laughed. “Perhaps I’ll get someone in here to lighten it up.”

There then was a light knock at the door.

“I’m guessing its show-time.”

“Just remember,” Queen Mazicia said from her seat to Breha and Bail. She was resting a bit before the processional. She looked dignified, yet tired, in her thin purple dress and cape. Her silver hair was in a simple plait. “Smile, be affectionate with each other, and have fun. This party is for you two.” They were all in a grand hallway, outside of the ballroom.

Bzl-horns blared and the current prime minister, Canci Noelak, could be heard, his voice booming. “It is my great honour and delight to announce our guest of honor: Miss Breha Antilles!”

The two large wooden doors swung open and Breha, alone, head held high, dutifully made her entrance. The guests were all around their tables, standing up in what looked to be their finest gowns and suits. She recognized many of the faces, although only from the holonews. They were all politicians, dignitaries, and celebrities. Breha took a quick glance around the large room, beautifully decorated in silvers, golds, purples and blues. Even the floor seemed to glisten. She caught a glance at her family and her few friends, beaming with joy.

With all eyes on her, she waved as she made her way to the head table. Prime Minister Noelak was waiting for her. The very large man, dressed in black with a red overcoat, nodded his head as she approached, took her hand and kissed it. His bushy black beard tickled her skin.

The prime minister turned back to the guests. “And now, please show your respects for His Serene Highness, Prince Bail Organa, First Chairman and Viceroy of Alderaan and his mother, Her Royal Majesty, Maternal of the Realm, Queen Mazicia Andrina Organa, Queen and Ruler of Alderaan.”

Breha, along with the prime minister, bowed as Bail and the queen entered the chambers. Breha watched as Bail led his mother to her seat, then sat in-between her and Breha. Breha then took her own seat. The prime minister sat next to her.

Bail then stood up again. “Welcome everyone. On behalf of my mother and my fiancee, we are glad you could celebrate my engagement - finally.” That remark got the guests laughing. “We hope you enjoy the evening, so without further delays, let’s get on with dinner.”

Breha tried her hardest to continue to pay attention. Dinner was over (unfortunately Queen Mazicia only approved wine or water for the drinks for the head table) and now speeches had just dragged on. It seemed like every noble lady and Member of Parliament wanted to congratulate the happy couple. Breha was used to long lectures and meetings, and she knew her entire future was going to be filled with them, but trying to maintain a sweet smile was just tiring.

Finally, the band, an eight piece jesacual string band began to play. Bail, hand outreached, smiled at Breha. “May I have this dance?”

She smiled and took his hand. “I thought you would never get to ask.”

He led her out onto the dance floor, placed one arm around her back, and then took her hand. She placed her free hand on his shoulder. They were close, but not inappropriately so. Breha let Bail lead her in the calm, slow dance

“I can’t believe you are leaving me for three months,” she said with a slight sigh, laying her head on his chest. She was referring to the fact that in a few days, Bail would be leaving for Coruscant.

“I know, but I’m a senator, half my time has to be spent on Coruscant. We are already almost four and a half months into this year and I’ve only spent a month and a half in total on Coruscant. If I spend this chunk there now, then another month or so in the autumn, I can be here for half the summer or more, and the months leading up to our wedding,” he explained.

“I know. I just don’t want to deal with all this wedding stuff without you.”

“You’ll do brilliantly,” he said, kissing the top of her head.

“Yeah, well, I resent you already.”

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love Breha's reaction to Bail's decor. [face_mischief] Love the color details and her choice for gowns! @};- Yes, I think she will handle the wedding details excellently. Awww that she will miss him. I bet he finds the time on Coruscant as blargh as she did the long speeches! :p

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    They are a perfect team already. And so cute & funny at the same time. I simply adore couples like that!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for reading and commenting! Here is the next chapter!

Chapter 20

Breha tried not to pace the landing platform. As she had learned in the past three months from spending too much time with her grandmother, ladies did not pace. Bail was coming home today after three months on Coruscant. They had holocommed nearly every day, but it had still been hard on Breha to deal with, what seemed like, everything, from wedding details, to royal appearances with his mother, while still maintaining her role as a senior advisor in the Ministry of Education, and showing her family and friends that she cared. There had been times when Breha was glad Bail had been gone. She had barely the time to breathe some days, let alone try to keep up a romantic relationship.

Yet, when she did have time to breathe, she knew, deep down, she missed him. She missed his teasing nature, how he was always trying to touch her, and, even though he took everything very seriously, how he seemed to lighten everything with his optimism.

So, when Bail had told her she was the only face he wanted to see upon his return, she had arranged it, for them. For, after three month without him, Breha had realized that there was a them.

It was just her on the royal landing platform. It was high summer, so although it was getting late in the evening, the sun was only half way under the horizon. The sky was ablaze with colour as the wind picked up. She was wearing a purple dress with short sleeves, so she shiver slightly and regretted not grabbing a shawl.

She then saw the gleaming craft land. Within a few moments, the boarding ramp was lowering and Bail was bounding down the ramp. He was grinning as he ran towards her, the wind billowing his overcoat like a sail.

Breha felt a smile plaster itself onto her face. She then was in his arms. He held her fiercely.

“I love you,” she said into his chest.

They were inside the palace, his arm around her shoulders, before any words were spoken. “Are we running away from our responsibilities now?”

“I wished,” she laughed. “But I have arranged for us to have a very quiet cake-tasting date down in the kitchens. Just you, me, and a whole lot of sweet goodness. But we have to decide on just one for our wedding dessert.”

“Oh gods, it has started already. I haven’t even been off the ship three minutes and you are already making me do wedding stuff.”

She laughed as she lightly patted his stomach. “Welcome to our lives now, hotshot.”

“So, you guys were raised as siblings?” Breha asked as she and Bail walked along a shaded forest path, holding hands. A breeze whipped at her free-flowing, yet modest sky-blue dress. Her hair was up in an conservative braid, she was wearing plain brown flat shoes and was clutching a matching scarf. She really didn’t want to bring attention to herself at someone else’s wedding, yet she still needed to look dignified and presentable at a noble-woman’s wedding.

“Pretty much, yeah,” Bail said with a shrug. He was wearing dark brown trousers with a simple blue tunic top. His hair and facial hair neatly trimmed. He had been back on Alderaan for a week now. “Her mother, Lady Cluisa, still is lady regent. Cluisa goes to all the events, even parliament sessions that my mother, either from sickness or if she is on holiday, is unable to attend. You will be regent once you become princess. Anyways, Cluisa and my mom have been friends since childhood, so Renolu and I became close friends from a young age. Needless to say, there were high hopes for a romantic relationship between Renolu and I. But it was never going to happen, for obvious reasons, and for more non-obvious ones as well. She never wanted to be queen, and she never wanted me. Part of me always feels bad for always using her as plan B.”

“But you’ve both found happiness now, right?” Breha said in an teasing tone.

“Yes,” he said, stopping her on the forest path to kiss her lightly on the lips. “Plus I found the perfect queen.”

“You are such a sap,” she said softly. She lifted up her hand to run her hand through his dark hair. “Come on. I want to get a good seat.”

They rejoined hands and walked until the path opened up to a lush green meadow. Chairs were set up in rows. The white Yerani mountains loomed over the ceremony. It was so traditionally Alderaan it made Breha wonder if she made the right choice in slightly bucking tradition for her own wedding. After all, it was going to be the royal wedding. Bail seemed to read her thoughts.

“It’s pretty,” he mused into her ear as they found their seats. “But a reflection of how Lu blindly follows what is expected of her.”

More guests followed and sat. Bail’s mother, her aids, and Jeorji, were all seated a row in front of them.

Soon, delicate chimes began to play. The officiant walked down the aisle, followed by the witness - in this case it was a friend of the ladies. He ascended the low dais and stood beside the officiant.

Then Breha, along with the rest of the guests, turned, but remained seated out of respect, as Tienia, Renolu’s bride, entered from behind sheer fabric set up as a tent. She was wearing a deep purple dress, with a crystallized bodice and what seemed like mountains of ruched fabric for the skirt. Her dark brown hair was down in tight curls, a stark contrast to her pale competition. She was on the arm of Lady Cluisa, who was dressed in a respectable black skirt and flowing black top. It was traditional for the groom to walk in with his and his bride’s mother, and for the bride to walk down the aisle with the two fathers, to represent the mutual respect both clans had for the wedding children.

However, since, according to Bail, Tienia’s mother did not support her life choices, only Renolu’s parents and Tienia’s father would be in attendance. Still, Tienia beamed with happiness as she walked with Lady Cluisa. When she passed by, she seemed to throw Bail a cocky-Corellian grin, as if to say, “Ha! I got the girl.”

Breha looked beside her to Bail. He gave the woman a succeeding nod of approval.

Breha then turned back to see Renolu emerge out of another tent. Her pink dress looked so bright, like a flower. Tulle seemed to go on forever. She looked like a princess or a doll. Her blonde hair was up in a bun. She then took the arm of her father and soon-to-be father-in-law as she effortlessly glided down the aisle.

A pang of grief shot through Breha. She would never have that. Breha would never be the princess escorted down the aisle by two father figures. No, she’d be there, on her wedding day, alone. She would give herself away, for no man would ever have to protect her. For she was not a princess. She wasn’t even a lady.

She was future Queen.

“You know,” Breha said, as Bail massaged her feet. After a long reception, the party in one of Aldera’s finest dining halls was beginning to wind down. The brides had just made their exit after a night of good food, fine wine, and dancing. Guests were now slowly starting to file out as the workers, with their crisp white and black uniforms, began to clean up. “I don’t think it will be acceptable for you to give you a me massage at our wedding.”

Bail rolled his eyes. “It also won’t be acceptable for me to drink at our wedding, so here I am,” he said, pausing he massage to take a sloshing slurp of the dark wine in his glass. He had taken advantage of the open bar and the fact that she offered to drive him home since it was his friend’s wedding. He chuckled. “I’m glad that you are letting me touch you, intimately now.”

“Well,” she said. She sat up straighter in the chair and took her feet off of Bail’s lap and set them on the floor. “I missed you while you were gone. Before you left,” she said, hinting at the day they found out about her ostia-phromitia, “You showed me just how deeply you care for me. And I love you for that. I just like it when you are here, reminding me with your affection.”

He raised his eyebrow. “Aren’t I supposed to be the drunk one here?”

“Yes, you are,” she said, gathering her clutch and her shall. “So let’s get you back to the palace.”

As they walked out of the hall, rain sputtered down on them. Bail casually slipped off his jacket and placed it around Breha.

Two days after Renolu’s and Tienia’s wedding Bail found himself at a dinner in one of Aldera’s finest restaurants. He was surrounded by women: his mother, her handmaidens, along with Breha’s grandmother, aunts, sister, and mother. Their wedding planner, Kinena Sifry, and her aids. Thankfully, Breha was beside him, holding his hand. Though he wasn’t sure who was helping who get though get through this meeting. Plans for the wedding were being finalized, and it was getting out of hand.

“So, we are good with eight gualaari pulling the repulser-carriage?” one of the aids asked.

“Eight gualaari?” Breha asked in shock. “I didn’t even know there was a carriage.”

“Well, you have to get to the hall somehow. A stretch speeder just won’t do,” Mazicia pointed out.

“And we must confirm the ice-sculptures to be in the garden at the reception,” Kinna said, passing a data-pad in Breha’s direction as she tried to take a bite of her dinner.

Bail took the ‘pad for her, quickly looked at it, then said, “Yup, looks fine.”

Breha glowered at Bail, not caring who was looking. “No one told me anything of ice-sculptures.” She then pointedly took a bite of her pasta.

“We thought they would go with your elegant winter theme,” one of his mother’s handmaidens said. Rainana was her name - she was about 10 years younger than Mazicia with short blonde hair and a wide smile. “That they would remind you of your first night to rekindle that memory for your honeymoon.”

Both Breha and Bail began choking on their dinners. No one knew that their weekend vacation up to the mountains a few months ago had ended before Bail and Breha had a chance to spend their ‘first night’ together. No one knew they had yet to make love to each other and that Breha could still back out of the marriage.

Bail’s face grew to the same bright red as the tomitina sauce on his plate. “I don’t think this is the place to discuss that.”

“No,” Mazicia said, “we have much too much to get through. Now, onto the menu for the reception.”

“Well, that was painful,” Bail remarked as he left the restaurant with Breha. The sun had just set, so it was still light enough to see by. He held her hand until they got to the speeder.

She gave him a blank stare as he opened the passenger door. “That,” she said, pointing her finger towards the restaurant, “Hoopla, has been life for the last three months.” She slid into the speeder.

“Well, I am here now. It’s still early yet. Do you want to do something fun?” he asked, leaning down into the speeder, using his hands on the hood as leverage to lean down to her face.

She sighed. “I don’t feel like dealing with any more people.”

“Do you want to go back to your place, watch some holos or some Healer Who?”

She smiled. “Sure.”

He then suddenly leaned down further and kissed her.

“Bail!”

Breha was surprisingly comfortable as she and Bail lay together on her couch. His arm was comfortably around her hips. Her back was against her stomach. They were nearing the end of their third episode of Healer who. It was getting late. Breha didn’t want Bail driving home at this hour. But she wasn’t sure she wanted her ‘first night’ to come on such an ordinary night.

Bail casually stroked her arm as the credits began to roll on the screen. “We don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do.”

“Are you some sort of Jedi?” she asked as she reached for the controller.

“No,” he said with a chuckle. She felt the rumble. “I could just feel you tense up.”

“I want to be intimate with you. I do, because I love you and I want our first time together to be before we are hitched together for the rest of our life.” She took a large sigh.

“But?”

“But I wanted my first time - our first time, to be romantic.” She rolled over so that they were facing each other.

He chuckled. “Like in a secluded cabin during a blizzard?”

“Don’t bring that up please,” she groaned.

“Look. If you want to wait, we can. But, if you want to go, have a ‘steam while I run down to the 25-hour mart two streets over, get some things, we can have a normal Alderaani first night, just like everyone else. We can save special and romantic for our honeymoon. We will have grand beds with puffy pillows for the rest of our lives. I just want one normal night with the woman I love.”

“Alright.”

Breha could feel her heart wanting to beat out of her chest. She had gotten out of the sani-steam, quickly dried and loosely curled her hair, then put on a light blue, lace negligee and matching panties. It was fairly modest - the straps were cap sleeves and the bottom of the garment came to just above her knees. Still, she felt as though tonight was going to be special.

She exited the refresher to see Bail sprinkling fake flower pedals over her bedchambers. Small tea lights lit the room.

He turned around and gasped. “Breha… you… you look….”

The fact that he was stuttering told Breha all she needed to know.

Bail took a deep breath in. “I love you.”

Bail woke the next morning, his hand around Breha’s waist. Carefully, he sat up and kissed her cheek. After he got out of bed, he made sure she was tucked in. He was then off to make her breakfast.

Looking in her empty pantry, Bail was glad that he bought the ingredients for hotcakes while at the mart.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Briannakin - only you could meld together so seamlessly something so incredibly funny and real as no food in the pantry - the warm meltiness of Bail/Breha and their genuine love for one another, with "Healer Who." Now that is one cool cross-fandom reference. =D= =D=

I love how the two of them aren't letting themselves get all caught up and discombobulated by the circus everyone else wants to turn the wedding into [face_laugh] :p

[face_love]

AzureAngel2 and Briannakin like this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: I wasn’t exactly sure about this chapter. I very nearly took it out. But in the end, I left it because it had some great development on Breha’s part, and it was fun. I also wrote it in the middle of the TFA madness when ALL ZHE PLOT BUNNIES WERE ATTACKING.

Chapter 21

“Bail, I love you, but you are so dead to me.” Breha murmured under her breath as she made her way, escorted by guards, down a hallway of the palace. She was wearing a modest sage green dress with a white lace cape. Her hair was in an elaborate plait and she was wearing silver heels that were just a bit too small. It was the beginning of autumn. Bail was on Coruscant for the last stretch of this year’s senate. He’d be home for most of the pre-wedding craziness, but for now, she was left to attend her bridal shower alone.

Breha and her entourage paused at a juncture until they were joined by the queen, her handmaidens and her guards. Jeorji was pushing Mazicia in a hoverchair. Yet, she still looked elegant in her black and purple dress and robes.

Breha bowed.

“My handmaidens inform me that all our guests are in attendance and seated. Let us not keep them waiting. I am not feeling well to today. You will have to welcome the guests and conduct the itinerary according to Kinena’s plans.”

Breha gulped in nervousness but walked at the queen’s side into a ballroom where about a hundred women and girls were seated. She recognized a few - mostly family members and her friends seated near the place of honour - but most of the guests were of Alderaanian high society. There was no backing out now. Breha felt like she had been pushed into the deep-end of the swimming pool.

The guests stood and bowed as Jeorji helped Mazicia sit on a high, grand, plush chair. Breha sat at her side. Jeorji then looked at Breha with an encouraging smile as he backed away.

Breha cleared her throat, then stood on unsteady feet. “Welcome and thank you all for coming to help me prepare and celebrate my upcoming marriage to Prince Bail. I hope to get to know all of those I do not already know over the next few hours.” Amazingly, her unscripted words flowed out of her. “My event planner, Kinena Sifry, has graciously organized this afternoon’s events. First, we will all share in some tea and refreshments as provided by our gracious staff, whom I can not thank enough. I see many off you have opted to bring gifts. I will try to open as many as I can. Then, I believe, the elders will retire to the sun room if they wish, and whoever would like may join me for some games in the courtyard.”

She then quickly sat down as waiters brought around small cups of tea and plates of biscuits.

Mazicia nodded at Breha in approval. “We might yet make a proper princess out of you.”

Breha was never an actress and she never could keep a straight sabacc face. Needless to say, feigning thankfulness at some of the ludicrous, frankly unless gifts the aristocratic women of Alderaan had given her was difficult.

She unwrapped another copy of a priceless work of art. This time it was was a copy of Alderaanian painter Jeshani Cords’ Light Hitting Cyrisalids and Water Droplets. It actually was a beautiful painting, unlike the copy of the sculpture Orbs Colliding she had received. But the royal family, of course, owned the original of both the paining and the sculpture.

Still, Breha still tried to grin at the elderly woman. “Thank you very much.” She handed the painting to a member of the palace staff who put it with the piles of monogrammed dishes, giant metallic paper weights, a hair-tool set encrusted with precious gems, a Canti set - a game consisting of a board and 28 different figures that all moved on voice command - carved out of an isotope of metal that lasted for 6 months and figures of Breha and Bail carved out of hunks asteroids. She looked over at the growing pile of gifts.

Mazicia leaned over to Breha and whispered. “Do not fret. Breathe. We will subtly donate any gift you do not want to keep.” The queen then coughed weakly and out of the corner of her eye, Breha could Jeorji resist rushing to her side. “I am feeling tired,” she said a bit louder. “Perhaps, one more gift, then the older ladies may enjoy some more refreshments in the sun room and the younger girls may play in the courtyard.”

Breha was about to pick one final lady to present her gift, when she noticed a woman with tan skin and straight dark hair getting up with her small gift - a small silver bag. She was about Bail’s age, thin, and very pretty.

A look of panic crossed Mazicia’s face as she leaned into Breha. “Lady Deona KajDa,” she said under her breath. “Bail’s ex-girlfriend. He broke up with her when he realized he needed to find a wife that could actually run the planet. She… she was just with him for the power he held.”

Lady KajDa bowed before the queen, then handed her gift to Breha. “Mistress Antilles, it is a pleasure to meet the girl who finally got Prince Organa.” The older woman looked down her nose to Breha

Breha simply gave the woman a sweet, honest smile. “And it is a pleasure to meet the head of the KajDa family. I do believe our grandmothers attended the same university together.”

The woman merely nodded. Breha pushed aside the light flimsi to see what was in the gift bag. Her hand brushed up against something leathery - wrinkly, yet hard and firm. She pulled out the gift - a circular object about the size of her hand. Once the mysterious object was freed from the wrap, Breha was face to face with the shrunken head of a Bith. The head stared back with black eyes.

Mazicia looked startled and Breha looked up at Lady KajDa, slightly unamused. The lady was grinning mischievously. “Oh,” Breha said, unfazed with the disgusting gift. She had grown up with five older male cousins, she had seen MUCH worse. Bail’s ex-girlfriend was clearly trying to make Breha look bad. Which confused Breha - why wait until the eleventh hour to do so? “How interesting. A Shawmanra symbol. Thank you very much,” she said with a grin before passing it off to a slightly alarmed servant.

Breha then smiled at all the ladies in the chambers. “Thank you all for coming. I hope to see many of you outside in the courtyard playing games. If not, I look forward to seeing everyone at my wedding.”

She then stood up once Queen Mazicia was helped to her feet and into her hoverchair. Breha exited with the queen. Once in the hall, Breha turned to her future mother-in-law. “With all due respect, your Majesty, should I be worried about Lady KajDa?”

“No,” it was Raymus, standing in the hall, who answered for the queen. “She is a tabloid reporter. She probably simply got promised a large pay check for a sensational headline.”

Breha sighed. “So this is the bantha shavit I have to deal with now - being overly suspicious of the people Bail used to date?”

“Sadly, yes,” Mazicia said. “But you conducted yourself wonderfully in there. I have complete faith that you will be able to conduct you self when it comes to both the small, and the big, complications.”

“Thank you,” Breha said with a bow of respect.

“Now go. Have your cousin escort you out to the courtyard and have some fun.”

Raymus, dressed in his standard black palace advisor uniform, held out his arm, which Breha took. As they meandered their way to the courtyard, Breha joked, “I am so glad I grew up with you guys always sneaking gross fake snot into my bed. It really has prepared me for my eventual role as queen.”

He let out a light laugh. “Glad I played such a fundamental role in the making of Alderaan’s next queen.”

They then walked through two large flexiglass doors into a lush green courtyard, bordered by gardens and trees. Staff had set up a few bridal games - something about searching for treasure by using clues and a game to decode a message to win a prize - but as soon as Breha stepped onto the stone pathway, she was surrounded by young girls, perhaps 30 of them all, all the way from perhaps a 4 or 5 year old, to women about her own age.

“So what’s it like?” one girl, her front teeth missing, asked. Breha placed the girl, who was in a decadent purple dress, at around 6 years old. Clearly, she was the daughter or granddaughter of a noble woman.

“Pardon?” Breha asked with a smile.

“Getting married to the prince!” another girl, this one a bit older exclaimed. “We want to know! How did you guys really meet and fall in love? We can play stupid games another time.”

Breha wasn’t sure if Lady KajDa had set this up, or if these girls were honestly simply excited to hear a romantic tale of a prince and an unlikely princess. “Are you girls sure?” she asked, eyebrows raised.

All the young ladies enthusiastically nodded while their older peers looked curious. So Breha gave into the benefit of the doubt and sat down on a nearby stone bench. Her audience gathered at her feet and looked on expectantly. “So, as many of you know, I work at the Ministry of education. About a year and a half ago, I was late for work. It was just one of those bad days, you know: my alarm never went off, my speeder would not start. Anyways, little did I know that the Prince….”

Breha went on, telling them a fairytale.

Chapter 22

“Bail,” Breha sighed with exhaustion. “You know I hate the whole blindfold thing.” She was being led by her fiancé down the boarding ramp of his ship. “First you have the audacity to drag me away from Alderaan two weeks before our wedding, then your force me not to do any work for six hours-.”

“Hey,” he said, interrupting her. “You said you needed a cuddle break.”

“Yeah, a break does not equate to a six hour jaunt to goodness knows where,” she huffed. “Where in the galaxy are we?” Wherever they were, it was warm. Sun touched the bare skin of her arms. Bail had given her a lovely, yet simple, blue lace dress with cap sleeves. The bottom of her dress came to just below her calves. The warmth and the soft ground - Breha knew they were walking on grass, were at least a welcome change to the cold, harshness of Aldera’s approaching winter. In the distance she could hear waves crashing.

Another voice replied. “Elair,” the male voice, distinctly Coruscanti, said. Breha recognized the name as one of Coruscant’s temperate satellites.

Finally, Bail stopped walking and removed Breha’s blindfold. Her eyes were initially blinded by light, but as they adjusted, she saw sea for miles. They were on the edge of a grassy cliff. There were two other figures walking behind up behind them. A man with red hair and a teenage boy with very short brown hair. Both were clothed in tan robes. They were Jedi.

“Breha,” Bail said apprehensively. He was in a dark suit, but with short sleeves. “I’d like to introduce you to a friend of mine: Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi. This is his padawan, Anakin Skywalker.”

Breha smiled at both men. She knew Bail often worked with Jedi as a senator. The elder Jedi smiled back, clearly happy to be on Elair, doing some sort of favour for Bail. Anakin, however, simply looked bored.

Bail then got to his knees. “Breha, my sunshine, I have brought you here today because I would like to do a life-dedication ceremony with you. Our marriage ceremony will be for the people of Alderaan. But I wanted this… for us.” Life-dedication ceremonies pre-dated marriages in many cultures in the galaxy. It was often a rather informal process with two willing participants, a holy man - and a Jedi was as close to a holy man that modern society got, at least in the Core - and a witness. There was usually little preparation; only one of the participants would know of and organize the ceremony, then ask their beloved to join them in dedicating their lives to each other. If the beloved refused, it was said, the lover that asked could die of a broken heart.

Breha leaned down to kiss his cheek, then got on her knees facing him. “How can I say no to a man offering his life to me?” She brought her hands up to link fingers with Bail.

Anakin then stepped forward with a length of white, smooth rope and tied their arms loosely together. He stepped back to allow his master to approach the couple.

Obi-Wan bowed lightly, then took a piece of flimsi out from the folds of his robes. “Bail Prestor Organa and Breha Morgaine Antilles.” The Jedi started. He looked uncomfortable with the idea of addressing Bail without his titles, but Breha appreciated it. Here, she and Bail were equals. “Today you have agreed to dedicate your lives to each other. In doing this you swear to put the other above all else. You swear to love each other, even if time, situations, or distance breaks your relationship. In this dedication, you understand love is more than physical, emotional, spiritual, or mental. It is a combination of all four elements, yet so much more. You will live for one another. Love, like these promises, is both simple and complex.” These were ancient and holy words, unedited with time, yet Bail had picked them to swear his love for Breha. “Bail, if you wish to dedicate your life to Breha, please say so now.”

Bail looked directly into Breha’s eyes. “I dedicate my life to you. I will love you, for always and eternity.”

Obi-Wan spoke again. “Breha, if you wish to dedicate your life to Breha, please say so now.”

Breha thought she would feel a tightness in her chest. After all, she was promising her life to a man in one of the galaxy’s most ancient traditions. But in the end, the words flowed as easily as the love that she felt. “I dedicate my life to you. I will love you, for always and eternity.”

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    #21 - :eek: Breha sure knows how to handle the crazies. @};- #22 -- squee! What a lovely setting and a fantastic touching ceremony! [face_love]

Briannakin and AzureAngel2 like this.
  15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Wow, I missed some updates, but now I am back on the track. And actually very enchanted. The ceremony was beautiful.

Briannakin and Nyota's Heart like this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ahhh! This is it! First off, thanks so much for reading and commenting! I really had fun with this fic and I’m actually quite proud of it. I hope to one day come back to Bail/Breha.

This was my musical inspiration for this ending

Chapter 23

Breha let out a deep breath. She was sitting, crosslegged, on the bed she used to share with Deara when they were kids. Despite the frosted window, the sun beamed into the room as it rose over the snowy mountain. She felt the light on her face in a moment of peace. She was at her grandparents’ estate. It was decided that she would prepare for her wedding here.

The bedroom looked as it did when she was 13 and Deara was 18 - with light yellow walls and holos of boy-bands. It took Breha to her childhood, of carefree summer chasing Raymus, Ramiud, Rewan and Rajem around, catching gorfs in the pond out back and of first kisses with Jant Jance, the boy that grew up down the road (not that she had ever mentioned her childhood love who had fallen out of contact with Breha when they were 14).

Breha knew downstairs was a mess of people running around - she had thankfully gotten her breakfast before her family and aids - frack, she now had assistants sleeping in the same house for her beck and call - woke. She took one final bite of her puff pastry breakfast, dusted the crumbs off her sleep shirt before getting up off the bed. Her feet hit cold wood and she smiled.

Today she was getting married to the love of her life.

She knew she should be freaking out the fact that she was about to get married with 2 billion people watching on this planet alone. However, the events of today had been practiced time and time again over the past month. She was confident today would go smoothly. Heck, the palace had even been granted Jedi for security.

So, instead, she focused on the feelings of love and joy she felt as she absentmindedly and slowly danced around the room, hugging herself. She had not seen Bail for a week, which had made Fete week hard, though she had plenty to keep her busy. She frankly just wanted today to be over so she could lay in his arms.

A knock brought her out of her thoughts. “Come in,” she said, before realizing that those words had begun it all. The door opened and her best friend and former roommate entered. Oetiann wore a lovely dark blue dress and a wide smile.

“Are you ready for this?” she asked.

Breha let out a breath. “Yes, I am.”

“The make-up and hair artist are set up in your grandmother’s bathroom,” she said, picking up Breha’s plushy white robe. “But I get to have my fun first.”

“Oh gods no!”

Oetiann laughed. “Do you remember when Presha said you or I would make a better queen than some bimbo Bail was dating when he ran into you.”

Breha groaned. “And I said something like it was never going to happen.”

The red-head nodded. “That was also the night you claimed Alderaan was going to chaos and that you were going to move to Corellia.”

“Yup, I remember.”

“Well, if you still want it to go to chaos, I will help you escape to Corellia.”

Breha broke out in laughter as she hugged her friend. “Don’t tempt me with that option. If it wasn’t for Bail, I would take it.”

With her hair in an elaborate braided bun and her make-up done flawlessly with pale skin and bright red lips, Breha got into the speeder, still in her robe, that would take her to the Hall of the Mountain Queen. She would be arriving there first, before all the guests, to finish getting ready. Her grandmother, mother, sister, and much of her family and friends were already at the hall.

She had chosen her grandfather and her cousin to join her in her speeder ride. She was glad for the quiet company.

Her grandfather let out a sigh. “Your father would have been so proud. I wish he could see you.”

Breha instantly regretted doing her make up so early. “I wish he were here,” she said, trying, and failing not to cry. “Oh stars,” she said, trying to fan her eyes to dry out the tears.

Riginus put his arms around her. “My dear girl. Please cry. The ladies can redo your make up. Goodness knows you will have enough time to kill.”

Breha nodded. It was not going to take them four hours to put on her wedding gown, so she accepted Raymus’ outstretched handkerchief, whipped the make-up off of her face, and cried in her grandfather’s arms.

She not only cried for the fact that her father had never known the lady she had become, but the loss of the little girl he had known. Today she would marry a prince. Tomorrow she would become crowned princess and heir to the Alderaanian throne.

She had no regrets, she loved Bail and Alderaan, but still she cried for the futures lost.

With her make up redone, Breha sat in her sea of white. Palatino had come with her wedding gown and she had been adorned in the elegant lace. The top was a simple cream lace, with long sleeves and a tight collar around her neck. There were bands or ribbons around her stomach from the bottom of her ribcage to her hips. The dress then gave way to meters of white silk topped with more delicate lace.

Palatino had also given her a veil that flowed down her back. He had been the only one to see her in her gown.

Breha sat alone in the office that once belonged to the ancient queens. She sat in an old throne that had been unused for a millennia with her hands folded. She felt the ghosts of so many reverberating off the cold grey stone walls. The ghosts of past royals were here, she felt them, along with her father.

She then heard a knock at the door.

“Yes?” she said. As she slipped off her father’s slippers, Jeorji opened the old-fashioned wood door. She smiled, knowing Jeorji was the perfect encouraging to face to see before she was wed.

“Ms. Antilles.” That was the last time she would ever be called that. “Bail is about to walk the aisle now with his and your mother. Raymus is already at the altar with Prime Minister Noelak.” The Prime Minister of Alderaan would be wedding Bail and her. “Everyone is in place for you.”

She smiled as she stood. “Aren’t you going to ask you if I am ready?”

The older man shook his head. “No. You were born ready for this. You are beautiful. This is your kingdom. This is your crown. This your moment.”

Breha felt her cheeks getting warm and she looked away until she felt his finger under her chin. He raised it up so she was looking in his green eyes framed by smile lines. “Chin up a little higher. This is your happy ever after. Don’t look down. Don’t ever look down. All you have to do is put one foot in front of you.”

So she did. Taking an ornate, yet shallow bowl of water and cradling it in her hands, she followed him to the grand entrance. The large doors were opened to a sea of beings seated in the hall. All eyes were on her, but her eyes were on the man in his First Chairman regalia - a dark blue suit, decorated with bands and badges.

She saw him standing at attention, then gasp when he saw her. When he finally managed to pick his jaw up, he grinned wildly.

Breha merely gave him a smile and began to walk down the aisle. Holding her head up, she felt rooted to the floor as she slowly walked in time to the soft music. She successfully navigated the four stairs up to the alter and stood beside Bail.

Prime Minister Noelak began. “Family, friends, and all of Alderaan. Welcome to this joyous occasion. Today we will join the lives of Breha Morgaine Antilles and His Serene Highness, Prince Bail Prestor Organa, First Chairman and Viceroy of Alderaan.” He then went on a speech about love. It felt scripted, but Breha knew the prime minister didn’t know this wasn’t just a marriage out of duty.

He then asked for the witness to step forward. Raymus, in his military dress uniform, stepped next to Breha. “I have witnessed the love between the cousin I consider a sister and the man I consider my best friend. Many might consider this a marriage merely for the continuation of the Royal House of Organa. I can assure everyone, although my Breha will make a beautiful, just queen,” he said, looking at Breha with a smile. “She loves Bail, and Bail, well, it is obvious that the prince has been smitten with Breha since the moment he met her. I have witnessed the love of these two grow and I have no issues witnessing them become one.” Raymus then took the bowl of water from Breha and stepped back.

Bail and Breha turned to each other hand held hands. Their eyes connected and Bail winked. Noelak then continued. “Seeing that we have a witness, I will then ask: Prince Bail Prestor Organa, do you love Breha? Do you swear to honour, obey, and serve her every need; to put her and her needs above all others? Will you celebrate her victories and be at her side during hardships?”

Breha had to stop herself from rolling her eyes at the traditional vows. She had tried to lobby Queen Mazicia and Kinena to change them, but they insisted on them. But there was one final line that Breha knew Bail wrote:

“Will you sleep at her side in health and stay awake in vigil if sickness takes her body or mind? Will you love her?”

Bail smiled, squeezed Breha’s hand and said, “I do and I will.”

Noelak turned to Breha. “Breha Morgaine Antilles, do you love Bail? Do you swear to listen, consider his council, and trust in him wholly? Do you swear to swear to share your laughs and your tears; to hold him close and to let him hold you? Will you stand by his side in rain and in drought? Will you kiss him in health and hold him ailments. Will you love him?”

This was her moment. Her decision at the end. But it wasn’t a hard one. “I do and I will.”

Noelak nodded, then turned around and picked a glass chalice. He handed it to Bail saying. “The ancient water ceremony represents the producing and the giving of life between two people that love each other.”

Bail then took the glass and dipped it in the water Breha had brought down the aisle. Water dripped from his hand until he shook it off. He then moved to hold her with one arm and brought the glass to her lips. She drank until she gently patted his arm. He then brought the glass to his own mouth and drank the remaining water. He then gave the glass to Breha to hold and he held her.

“And now, it is my honour,” Noelak said, “To pronounce you woman and prince. Bail, kiss your bride.”

So Bail did, turning her in his arms, which meant the train of her dress wrapped around their feet. He held her gently and leaned down to kiss her. She, of course, completed the distance between them. The guests cheered.

Bail then stepped out of the trap that Breha’s dress had put her in, scooped her up in his arms and headed for the exit. He did not stop for all the awaiting citizens being held back by Jedi and security. He put her in the awaiting limo speeder, got in behind her and slammed the door laughing.

“Man am I glad that is over,” he said, pulling her to him.

She leaned on his chest and heaved a sigh. “You do know we still have holos to take, a dinner, a reception…”

He cut her off with another kiss. “Sunshine, I love you. Please shut up and let me hold you and enjoy the fact that we made it through that ceremony.”

Breha closed her eyes as they bathed in their happiness.

Breha let Bail hold her through their wedding holos, dinner, and their reception. Still they had barely time to speak to each other. Yet, when Breha laid her head on his shoulder as they sat at the head table, in their white wood chairs with high backs, Bail knew it was time to take her to the hotel he had reserved. They had smiled for hours, ate as they held hands, talked to hundreds of noble people and diplomats, then danced for hours.

“Okay, Mrs. Organa,” Bail said with a grin, looking down at her. “Let’s go. Our guests are mostly gone. We officially survived!” he exclaimed with a laugh.

She laughed. “We’re married. Now I think we can conquer the galaxy.” Breha was clearly beyond tired.

“Well, after that hoopla of a wedding, I think we can survive anything, after a good night’s sleep,” he said. He then stood up and picked her up.

“You know,” she said, wrapping her arm around his shoulders. “You don’t have to carry me everywhere. I do have slippers… somewhere.”

“Yeah, but I’m too lazy to look for them.”

Bail finally set Breha down on the bed of the grand suite of Aldera’s finest hotel. The bed was huge, dressed with the finest white linen, and on a platform of clear glass. There were purple flower petals on the bed and small flickering lights in column of water lighting the ornately decorated room. The suite had a large viewport that overlooked the city. Bail hit the switch on the wall to cover the viewport. “So, how do I get you out of this thing?” he asked, motioning to the parsecs of fabric.

“Quickly,” she grumbled, rolling onto her stomach. “Just untie the corset.” She then felt the bed dip and Bail straddle her. “I hate to tell you this,” she said as she felt the dress loosen. She could finally breathe again. “But this is all the action you are seeing tonight.”

Bail chuckled. “I don’t mind. I’m exhausted too. I bought you two different sets of night clothes.” He reached down beside the bed and pulled up a bag.

Breha sat up, slipping out of the top of the gown. She opened the flimsi gift bag and pulled out a very lacy white nightgown, then a thick, long nightgown made of flannelette. She let out a breath. “You are the best,” she said, leaning against him.

“Care to join me in a sanisteam?” he asked, kissing her neck.

“Yes, I will.”

Breha was then carried off by her husband.

After their shared sanisteam, Breha found herself in Bail’s arms as they laid in the bed, covered by blankets. Her wet hair was splayed over his chest, but neither minded. Bail looked down at Breha, but neither spoke as their eyes locked. No words needed to be exchanged. Both knew this was their life and, in that moment, they were happy.

Epilogue

As said in the prologue, this was not the story of a princess. Queen Breha was crowned Princess and Heir to the Alderaani Relm by Queen Mazicia the day after her wedding in a brief ceremony. Princess Breha and Prince Bail then embarked on a month-long honeymoon, in which she would often refer to as the happiest 30 days of her life.

The then Princess Breha spent three weeks on Coruscant with her husband, where she was the image of “Senator Bail Organa’s Wife”. She met political dignitaries, brushed elbows with a Sith Lord who would conquer the galaxy just short years into the future, and even dined with the monster who would destroy Alderaan in 26 years time.

Tragedy struck sooner than most had predicted. Queen Mazicia’s health took a turn for the worst and both Bail and Breha were summoned back to Alderaan. There they spent a week at the side of her bed, recounting stories from their honeymoon because they seemed to make her smile, before Mazicia handed Princess Breha the keys to the Queen’s private offices. Queen Mazicia then died, happy, held by Bail and her lover Jeorgi.

Bail was the first to bow to the new queen, followed by Jeorji. Tears from the death of his mother streaming down from his face, Bail kissed her bare foot and prostrated himself to show his devotion to the new Queen Breha. Her first act was to comfort him in his loss.

With grace and respect, Queen Breha declared a week of mourning, organized an elegant mountaintop funeral for her former queen and mother-in-law.

Then, when it was time for her own coronation, she showed what kind of leader she would be. In an understated ceremony, she walked to the parliament buildings in a glittering silver dress with a long blue cape, on the arm of her beloved husband, and was crowned Her Royal Majesty, Maternal of the Realm, Queen Breha Morgaine Organa, Queen and Ruler of Alderaan.

And that is the story of one girl, from mediocrity to the last Queen of Alderaan. It was not a fairytale, but a story of chances, work, compromises, love, and so much more.

And as we all know, it did not end with a “happily ever after.” But that is another tale.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    #23 - what fun details from the chilling out in her childhood bedroom to the elaborate and exhausting ceremony! Touching - Breha with her granddad. @};-

Sweet thing in that gorgeous suite after the reception: Bail thinks of everything ;)

Epilogue: -- what a wonderfully poignant and unique closing. I.E., that it wasn't a happily ever after from the vantage of what comes afterwards. That Breha's and Bail's future together was filled with compromise, work, etc., but also with a great deal of playfulness and genuine love and trust. :D They were definitely true to their vows. [face_love]

~!

Congratulations on finishing, always an accomplishment with DRL stuff popping up now and again & let me say this was one delicious journey from first to last.

=D=

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Finally finished this. :) Not a typical romance, given its dark moments, but absolutely and totally worth reading. Thanks for having written it.

19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I said a few days ago that the Read & Review Marathon would make me catch up on epics I've had on my reading list forever, and since I couldn't sleep last night, this is exactly what happened with this story :) I read it cover to cover in a single sitting, and it was a very way to spend my time.

I loved how you portrayed a young, spunky Breha in this story. You know that a story is going to be unusual when the first words that come out of the future queen of Alderaan's mouth are a string of curses! Her first encounter with Bail was hilarious -- although, having read the diary you wrote a while back, I immediately suspected that her broken wrist wasn't just the product of an accident. I also loved how Bail was late for their first two dates, yet managed to remain the perfect gentleman throughout the story.

One aspect that was good fun to read and exasperating at the same time was the constant presence of the paparazzi. You did a great job here at showing what it means to be thrust in the public eye, and the fact that Breha, in the end, took it all in stride was a good way to show her strength of character. The scene with Bail addressing the allegations that he's gone cuckoo was also a pivotal moment IMO -- up to that point we as readers had only second-hand knowledge of the way he handles public life, through what he told Breha or what she said about him; the scene was a great way to demonstrate that he is a master in handling such situations.

I also loved Breha's relationship with Raymus and all the scenes with her extended family (slimeball! eek!) Again, the contrast with Bail was interesting here. As the prince of Alderaan he never got to have this type of life, and it was sweet to see how much he feared meeting them yet enjoyed it in the end.

I loved all the small worldbuilding details across the story. I was somewhat familiar with your Alderaan fanon from the Fanon Thread, but it was nice to see it in action, so to speak. One detail I found particularly striking was Breha insisting on being barefoot at her wedding. Throughout the story there's this contrast between those Alderaanians who are keen on preserving tradition and those who want to abandon some aspects of it, and to me that scene summed it up perfectly.

Last, but not least, I loved the romance with Bail! You did such a great job at showing how unlikely it was in the first place and then bringing them closer chapter after chapter. That Sebaste... gosh, I wanted to slap him! He thought that he could turn up several years later and reconnect with his old life, just like that? Pffff! The moment when Breha finds out about her illness was deeply moving. She had to come to that point to understand that she could look past her duty to her homeworld and see Bail and herself for what they are. It was beautifully done.

This was a great read, and I'm looking forward to the sequel!

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thank you so much for the amazing review! It has really given me motivation to work on the next part of this story!

21. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Breha Morgaine Antilles

Love that you chose this name as her second name, because my teenage years were enriched by Marion Zimmer Bradley books and especially "The Mists of Avalon", even though an old grammar school mate of mine always joked that a telephone book would be more interesting to read.

You wrapped up your story nicely - a bit of nostalgia, some twinkle of glamour, lots of romance and emotion.

Thank you!