main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Long Road Home: Problem Child Sequel. O-W/Q-G (Final)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Just_Jill, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with George Lucas or Star Wars. I have borrowed some people and a lot of the world created by Dave Wolverton and Jude Watson from the Jedi Apprentice books, but they are not mine. I am making no money off of this.

Writer's Note: This started because of a fic I read called Best Forgotten by Cassia. A bit into writing it, and I began to realize that it dovetailed nicely into Problem Child, tweaked it a little, and then a lot more when Jovieve got hold of it!

Writers's Note 2: This is the sequel to Problem Child. While it is not mandatory that you read it, there will be some references to the occurences both in the story and leading up it. I hope you enjoy it!

Writer's Note 3: Many, many thanks to Jovieve for beta reading this, and for helping me to fix all the problems I didn't even know existed and for helping me find answers to the ones I couldn't figure out on my own. You are awsome. Thanks.

Just Jill

2. Just_Jill

Jul 17, 2002
    Ch 1: "Always a Moment too Late" - Dream Theater, The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun

The usually serene Jedi Temple was in an uproar. It took the combined efforts of the Jedi Council and all the Knights currently in house to calm all the students, and that took until nearly evening. Once that had been accomplished, the Council began to gather facts.

Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn lay in the Healer's Wing, in one of the bacta tanks, seriously injured. By what and by whom, no one seemed to quite know yet. He was currently deep in a Healing trance as well, and the Healers refused to let him be brought out of it. "You may speak to him when he awakens," Theela said almost sternly to Mace Windu, member of the Council and friend of Qui-Gon. The tall black man nodded in his slow, deliberate manner. He was not intimidated by the healer, although the Hjem towered over him by a good head and shoulders, and could easily pick him up and bend him in half.

"Send us word if his condition changes."

"Of course, Master Windu," she said, and understood that he meant more than just when Qui-Gon woke from his trance.

Bant Eerin, a small Mon-Calamari girl, reported to her Master she'd been the one report Qui-Gon Jinn's condition. She had planned on meeting Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon's Padawan, after his workout, and was waiting in the hallway for him. He'd called to her from the training room. The Council immediately requested her presence, and she stood before them, her hands working nervously on the sleeves of her cloak, Tahl standing quietly behind her in support. Bant repeated what she'd said in a voice high and trembling, with nerves and worry over her friend. When pressed, she said Obi-Wan had been distraught and very unlike himself.

"What mean you?" Yoda asked gently.

Bant's hands gripped her sleeves, stilling their shaking for a moment. "There was a dark feeling in the room," she said, "but I couldn't pin point it. And I really didn't have time. Master Jinn looked pretty bad."

"Did you return with the Healers?" Mace asked. She swallowed nervously.

"Yes. I showed them where he was."

"Was Obi-Wan there?"

Bant paused and closed her eyes, and the Council felt her stretch out with the Force. Many of them nodded in approval when they realized what she was doing; using the observations she hadn't consciously noticed in the panic of reviving Qui-Gon Jinn. Then she looked at them again. "Yes, Master," she said.

"The dark feeling, was it gone?" Yoda asked.

"Mostly."

"What happened then?" Mace prompted. They had the Healer's story, of course, but another point of view could only help.

"The Healers pushed Obi-Wan away. I stood next to him for a while, but when they took Master Jinn from the training hall, Obi-Wan was not there. I did not notice him leave." She didn't try to hide her dismay.

"We will find him," Adi Gallia said gently, smiling when the girl looked her way. Bant nodded, and the Force around her calmed a little.

"Return to your quarters," Mace said gently, not wishing to alarm her more. "If you remember anything, do not hesitate to inform us."

Bant bowed and left the Council chamber, following her Master. They could see that her hands were still trembling as the two passed through the heavy doors.

"Find the Padawan we must," Yoda said, once the doors had closed behind her. "Know something important he may."

Mace nodded. "I'll check his quarters." He stood up, unable to account for the chill that pressed into his bones. Yoda nodded at him, and the small Master quickly became the center of a maelstrom as the Council named or requested assignments to help search the Temple. Even as he left, he could hear comm units being activated and many of the resident Knights and Masters assigned to various areas of the large building to search.

The common area of Qui-Gon's quarters were, as always, neat. Obi-Wan's room looked as if a tornado had gone through it. Clothes, books and datapads lay scattered across every surface of the room except the sleep couch

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Do I get the first reply? Right on!

Great beginning! Already setting up the questions that won't have easy answers. Can't wait to see where this goes!

Shaindl

4. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Ahhh! You started! [face_shocked]

*faints*

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    A wonderfully mysterious beginning! I like the way Bant was nervous and concerned, and the way she was reaching out with the Force to find the observations she hadn't consciously noticed before.

I also had to smile at the mental picture of Healer Theela picking up Mace Windu and bending him in half. :D

The part about Obi-Wan's lightsaber was very poignant! Where did Obi-Wan know that detail from, anyway?

I'm afraid your links don't work. Here's a link to Jedi Apprentice Fan Dimension , where Cassia's story is also archived. If I could link directly to the story, I would, but JAFD doesn't work that way, so readers will have to navigate their way in by themselves.

6. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Ok so I didnt get the first review...but i am one of the top ten so its all good...

JILL.....WHAT DID YOU DO TO OBI and QUI??

What a way to start this fic....and I cant wait to read more.....

Great job...

PT

7. Just_Jill

Jul 17, 2002
    By the way:

My appologies to all of you to whom I sent PM's that this was up - I sent the wrong link. I'm really sorry! I feel rather dorky about it. As my old boyfriend would say, consider the sourse and forget it. Please don't let it reflect on the quality of the story.

Just Jill

8. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Wahoo, the sequel is here!

And you started with a mystery too. I should be used to that. :p

Great start, Jill. :D

9. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Ooohh a mystery. :) Great post.
    Hmmm, I wonder what happened. Maybe Obi-Wan's lightsaber had malfunctioned? Or perhaps a dark Jedi did something and now Obi-Wan is chaing after him? but then again he didn't bring his lightsaber with him. this is a puzzling mystery alright.

10. Nicky

Nicky Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    Very intriguing beginning! What happened? Is Obi-Wan somehow responsible for this - maybe one of his dark power-surges?

More please!

Nicky

11. VadeyFan2002

VadeyFan2002 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2002
    You have posted as promised.
    It's a very good beginning.

My guess is that for some reason one of the leftover mindbombs went of while saber-training. Leading to Obi attacking Qui and fleeing in panik and terror/ shame of his doing afterwards.

Vadey

12. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Hey, you posted today, just as you promised!

Great beginning. Nice mystery! I've read "Best Forgotten" by Cassia; is this story going to follow a similar plotline for the set-up?

Sounds like there was an "accident" during training resulting in Qui-Gon's massive injuries. Was this really an "accident" or were sinister forces at work? I can't imagine that Obi-Wan deliberately caused these injuries!

Looking forward to delicious Qui-Gon angst when he wakes up to find his padawan missing!

13. Just_Jill

Jul 17, 2002
    Why is everyone so surprised that I posted today?

;)

Just Jill

14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Excellant and intriguing. I wonder if this strange behaviour is another 'bomb' that they didn't find.

Kithera

15. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Thanks for the PM Jill! I appreciate it!

Qui-Gon's hurt and Obi-Wan is missing...I'm once again hooked! can't wait for more!

16. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    YOU POSTED! YAY!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Very interesting start. Qui-Gon is hurt and Obi-Wan has basically left the Order? [face_worried] And . . . one seems to get the implication that Obi-Wan is at fault for the dark presence (hehehe - not that I believe that ;) ), which is also interesting. Will the Council think that of him? Or do they know something I don't?

Also . . . quick question, which may be a stupid one. How long after Problem Child is this set?

Great story! More! Please! [face_begging] :)

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ha!! Finding this story at the beginning, what a treat. As Jane said, very mysterious start.... can't help but wonder what exactly are Qui-Gon's injuries??? Lightsaber wounds?? Internal injuries?? And why has Obi-Wan run away???

I look forward to finding answers to these and more questions Just_Jill.

Post soon, post often!

18. Just_Jill

Jul 17, 2002
    Happy New Year! And welcome to my new story. Hope you all enjoy it!

Shaindl - Already setting up the questions that won't have easy answers.
    Good, I take it?

Arldetta - *gently slaps cheek* Wake up, dear. You can't read it if you're out cold. :)

Jane Jinn - had to smile at the mental picture of Healer Theela picking up Mace Windu and bending him in half.
    One of my favorite lines to write.

Good questions all! And thanks for your help on the link to Cassia's story; it's a good one, and is after all the influence for this one.

Padawan_Travina - WHAT DID YOU DO TO OBI and QUI??
    Nothing. I did nothing. I promise! [face_innocent] (they really need one of those).

Jedi_Suzuran - And you started with a mystery too. I should be used to that.
    Probably. Maybe. Well, with only two stories, maybe not quite yet. :)

Jacen200015 - I wonder what happened.
    You'll find out. I think.

Nicky - one of his dark power-surges?
    Dark power-surges? What are those?

VadeyFan2002 - You have posted as promised.
    You doubted? And a couple of VERY good guesses!

Kit' - I wonder if this strange behaviour is another 'bomb' that they didn't find.
    No. I guess I didn't make it very clear; At the end of Problem Child, Denk told Qui-Gon exactly how to take care of the rest of the bombs without them actually surfacing. The bombs have been gone for a while now. I'm sorry I didn't make that clearer.

Lieutenant_Page - Thanks for the PM Jill! I appreciate it!
    You bet.

obaona - How long after Problem Child is this set?
    A little more than two years.

Healer_Leona - very mysterious start
    Thank you. [face_blush] I did my best.

I won't be posting on the weekends this time around, so the next post after this one will be on Monday.

Just Jill

19. Just_Jill

Jul 17, 2002
    Ch 2: "Maybe I Could Disappear" - Hanson, Look at You

Obi-Wan huddled in the corner of the transport hold, wrapped in a cloak, dressed in his pants and under tunic. His hood was up, covering the obvious Padawan haircut, and he was trying to not look like a Jedi. It was hard, though; he was one, or had been beginning to be one, and he really didn't know how to hold himself differently, not without his Master to imitate. He pulled his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around them, eyes burning from the tears he would not let fall. He refused to think about what had happened, what he'd done, the darkness that had....

The lump in his throat rose higher, and the tears pressed his eyes worse than before. He swallowed hard. He had to think, had to come up with something; he had no credits left and precious few skills, but he had to keep moving. He also had to live. He hugged his knees tighter and rested his chin on them, oblivious to the beings around him.

It was mostly a refugee ship; others had used a transport like this to get to Coruscant to escape home, and many were headed away again because there was nothing on the capital planet for them. He knew the stories. He actually had no idea where this one was going; he'd had just enough credits to purchase a lower class ticket on the first freighter going out. When he thought about it, he realized that he didn't care, that it didn't really matter. He just had to get away.

The hold was dark, filled with people and cargo, but there was a small buffet line set up on one side. He couldn't see it from where he was, but the kitchen droid's droning voice seemed to fill the room, mixing in with the soft murmur of hopeful conversation. He'd found a fairly remote corner, hemmed in on three sides with crates. The floor seemed clean, or else the dim light kept the filth from showing. No one had seemed to notice him. He was glad.

He had to do something about this bond. He didn't know if Qui-Gon were hurt, or... or dead. He forced himself to admit it, and he didn't want to know. What he really wanted was to feel the gentle tug on his braid again, but he didn't think that would ever happen. He began slowly building a wall around his end of the bond. He didn't want to break the bond, that was for his Master to do, and he'd heard that it could be painful. The last thing Obi-Wan wanted was to cause his Master more pain. Before he'd gotten very far on that wall, his exhaustion caught up with him and he dozed off.

"This one looks lost," a man's voice said softly, but it sank into his consciousness without waking him.

"I've had my eye on him since he got on. I don't think...." The woman's voice drifted off as he sank deeper into sleep.

When he woke, he was stiff. He had a good reason; the day had started with a lightsaber lesson, and ended with him curled up in this transport. His muscles were not happy with him. Still, he didn't move except to look around for anything that might threaten him, chagrined that he'd fallen asleep. He really didn't know how safe it was for him to have done so.

"You woke up."

He started at the half-familiar voice, glancing up at the young man who sat on a low box in front of him. He was human, with dark hair and skin, though not as dark as Master Windu. He was dressed in a neat, nondescript cloak, much like the one Obi-Wan was wrapped in, although he could see a blue tunic where it fell open at his throat. "Yes," Obi-Wan said warily, and then realized where he'd heard the voice. It had spoken of him as looking lost. The next words broke his train of thought.

"Are you hungry?"

The thought of food made him feel ill. "No."

"Are you in trouble?"

Obi-Wan pressed his shoulders into the wall at his back. "Why would you think that?"

"We saw you get on," the man said with an easy smile. "You haven't moved since you boarded, and we get pretty good at spotting those that could use help."

A young woman - a Twi'lek - appeared behind him and made her way through the tumbled boxes that h

20. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    OK Jill....

that was a great post..but what happened to poor Obi-wan that made him run away?

You have to update like SOON...

PLEASE???

PT

21. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Could a dark jedi be following him around and trying to control Obi-Wan?

Great post. :)

22. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I liked all the details you showed us here; the different spaceports, the different ways people treated him, the slow and subtle way that Obi-Wan became more and more desperate, and finally turned towards the Maitreva System. Very nice!

It does sound like there's something dark there, but it sounds more like it's somebody searching for Obi-Wan, rather than following him around. I can't understand why it seems to be so important to the dark presence that Obi-Wan use the mind trick, though. Would this use of the Force help the dark presence locate Obi-Wan better? Or something else? Mindtrick the captain into taking him to a certain place? Uh oh -- he's better off resisting the impulse.

Poor Obi-Wan. He really does think he's done something awful, but if it's not the bombs, then what happened? I did like the way he was building walls around his training bond, not wanting to sever it and cause Qui-Gon even more pain. I was worried when I read the paragraph where Obi-Wan was thinking about the darkness that had been haunting him lately, and how he didn't feel it now. This sentence sounded particularly ominous: Maybe because he had done what it wanted. What? What did he do? What did it want?

No posts on the week-end? I'm suffering from withdrawal already! *heaves long-suffering sigh* I'll try to hang on until Monday ... it won't be easy ... *fades*

23. Nicky

Nicky Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    Dark power surges: I referred to the instances where Obi-Wan attacked Qui-Gon and Yoda on that vacation/recovery-planet in Problem Child. :)

Very good chapter. I hope Qui-Gon wakes up soon and is able and willing to go after Obi-Wan because the boy certainly will need every help available to rid himself of that darkness that beckons him...

I'm already looking forward to Monday.

Nicky

24. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I really like the details that you include as each step takes Obi-wan further along his path. Hope he meets up with the monks again. And that he remembers his alias next time.

25. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan, drifting aimlessly from planet to planet and fighting a sinister "darkness" at the same time. Does the "darkness" want him to use the Force wrongly, thereby ensnaring him more? Also, are the evil Knights from "Problem Child" still around and free? Are they playing a part?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.