main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FIC: Lessons From The Past (JA, Qui and Obi)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Obi the Kid, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    TITLE: Lessons from the Past
    AUTHOR: Obi the Kid (hlnkid@aol.com)
    RATING: PG
    SUMMARY: Pre-TPM. Non-Slash. Obi-Wan questions Qui-Gon about his former master.
    ARCHIVE: Please ask me first.
    MY WEBSITE: http://www.angelfire.com/movies/obithekid/
    DISCLAIMER: The characters and venue of Star Wars are copyrighted to Lucas Films Limited. The characters not recognizable from this venue are copyrighted to Tracy C. Knight. The story is the intellectual property of Tracy C. Knight and is copyrighted to her. She makes no profit from the writing or distribution of this story.

=====================
    Lessons from the Past
    =====================

Obi-Wan sat on the balcony of the apartment he shared with his master. In the distance, the sun began dipping behind the far off buildings, but the padawan was more focused on Qui-Gon. His master had his eyes closed and seemed to be deep in thought. Obi-Wan could sense that the man's mind was clear. The young padawan approached the subject he was about to tackle, carefully.

"Master?"

Qui-Gon responded without opening his eyes. "Yes, Padawan?"

"Why don't you speak of your own master much?"

The question had caught him off guard and he turned his head towards his apprentice, but not far enough to make eye contact. "It's just something I have chosen to keep to myself." Qui-Gon paused, past images suddenly consuming his consciousness. Swirling around in his mind. And then a thought. Perhaps it was time he allowed Obi-Wan in to some of those memories of his apprenticeship that he'd kept hidden for so many years. After a few minutes of silence, he decided that it was time. "He and I were very much alike in some ways, but I rarely agreed with this methods. His ideas where unique, but his actions sometimes went to far. Why do you ask?"

The young man sighed as he sat forward on the soft bench. "I ran into him today in the hall. He mentioned that he'd spoken to you recently and that you had told him how well I was doing. He said you spoke very highly of me."

"Yes, I did as a matter of fact. Does that surprise you?"

"It's not that, Master. It's just...I am curious is all. Each time he sees me, he mentions how much you think of me. I just wonder why you don't seem to share a closer bond with him than you do. You never speak of him, and he rarely directs his conversations towards you. I thought it a bit odd is all. I would assume that your relationship would continue after you had become knighted and then a master."

By now Qui-Gon had moved from the bench to the railing. He stood with arms spread wide and his hands on the rail. "He was a good master, Obi-Wan. But he was...difficult. His views on even the most basic issues were often trivial to me. It seemed he enjoyed going against all that the Jedi had worked to achieve. He and the council clashed often. And he many times dismissed himself from their chambers suddenly and without warning. Leaving me in an uncomfortable position. I believe I lost count of how many times I was left standing before them after he had decided to walk out on a meeting. I was there, a student, alone. Standing with the entire council staring at me. It can be nerve wracking for an apprentice of any age. Eventually I got used to it, but it was an uneasy time for me. He's was and is a great Jedi and a brilliant thinker, but his methods are unorthodox to say the least."

A small crooked smile crossed the padawan's face as the word 'unorthodox' was voiced. How many times in his nine years as Qui-Gon's apprentice had Obi-Wan thought the same about his master. Qui-Gon glanced back at Obi-Wan, knowing exactly what he was thinking.

"Yes, Obi-Wan. I know. I can be a bit unorthodox myself sometimes. Trust me, however when I say that my ways carry little weight when is comes to what Master Dooku was capable of. I think the council eventually tired of his ways and they did not encourage him to take another apprentice once I was knighted."

Obi-Wan came to stand next to Qu

2. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I really like your other stories and this one seems to be starting off well also. Can't wait to see more.

3. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    I loved it, Obi!

It's interesting how you draw the parallels between Qui/Dooku and Qui/Obi with regards to their training relationship. The differences and the similarities.

:_| Though Obi-Wan won't be asking Qui-Gon any advice on training an apprentice. :_|

4. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Ahh OTK I always enjoy your stories :) Happy 2003 :D

5. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Wow, you guys are quick! Bored here at work...thought I'd post a story! :D Thanks for the comments, PaddyJuan, Ginger and Suzuran! Yeah, I think my main idea behind this stories was to see the difference between Qui-Dooku and Qui-Obi, and how the teachings get passed on. So glad it worked! And of course I had to get a little bit in there about Qui and the future..if only he knew what lay ahead. sigh!

Thanks guys! And Happy New Year!

Obi

6. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I really love this story Obi the Kid I love everything about it!! Qui telling Obi that he is family was so sweet and wonderful. It just makes me sad the Obi won't ever be able to come to Qui for help with his padawan... :( :_| :( :_| :( :_|

A truly wonderful story and I hope to see more from you very soon. :)

7. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks Jess! It is very sad, knowing what is ahead for them both. Sniff...Glad you enjoyed it though.

More stories to come!

Obi

8. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Its been a long time since I've read anything by you Obi. Unfortunately school and HW took over my life. Stories like this make me resent my teachers even more so. I miss your stories. They are so packed with emotion and many times you just want to say Aww or run and give Obi-wan a hug.

9. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Aww this was a very sweet fic Obi and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

10. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks Huntress and Padawan3. Glad I could steal ya away from school for a few minutes! :) I love to try and dig into the emotions of these 2 characters when I am writing my angst stories. They are just great characters. It's hard to let them go!

Thanks!

Obi

11. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  12. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    The part where Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are discussing Obi taking an apprentice and their lives after he is knighted is sad, considering what happens.

Wonderfully touching talk between Qui and Obi. Great job on the story! :D

13. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks, Cas. Sad indeed. If only the movie had ended differently...sigh.

Thanks for reading.

Obi

14. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  15. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Up we go!

16. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  17. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Nicely done, Obi. The contrast between the different styles of Dooku and Qui-Gon, and the differences in the bond fit right in with what we saw in AotC. Well thought out and beautifully executed.

CYN

18. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Hi Cyn! Thanks so much! Perfect, just what I was aiming for. :D Thanks for reading!

Obi

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I don't get over to your fics very often but I'm glad I stopped in to read this one. First off, I love mush. The mushier the better. But in this case, you hit the right balance between mush and filling the gaps in their relationship that were barely hinted in TPM. :)

20. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Hi Kitara! Thanks for stopping by! Ah, a fellow mush lover! hehe. Yeah, lately in my angst fics I've been trying to creat that balance so that I dont get overlymushy for what the situation calls for. This story called for mild mush...more vocal than anything. I think it worked best for this story. Thanks so much for reading!

Obi

21. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  22. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.