main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Apprentice 1: The Rising Force (In full Adult glory) 03/03/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by ZaraValinor, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I think that the Jedi Apprentice books were okay, but to make them readable for kids, they left out a lot of things that made Qui-Gon seem heartless and Obi-Wan slightly witless. Xanatos not such a bad guy and the Council about as lenient as toast. So here is my version of the Jedi Apprentice starting with the first book. This will be updated ever Monday.

Prologue

Pain. Unlike anything she had ever felt. A pain mixed with horror and joy. The result of a mission gone terribly wrong, a violation of her body and her spirit. A gift of the Force some would say, to counter such an abhorrent experience. The Jedi had been fighting to decide on whether the child she carried inside of her was a gift or not. To return to the Jedi she would have to give the child up and if the babe proved to be strong in the Force, what life would she choose for the little one. Many times she had covinced reluctant parents to give their children over to the Jedi, knowing that young ones who never understood their gifts became discontent and afraid of what they could do. But could she bare to possibly see her child in the Temple on a frequent basis and not reveal who she was?

Her stomach muscles contracted again, and the pain lanced through her, made bearable by her training the Force. The Jedi Knight took several steadying breaths to keep the pain from releasing from her lips. Blaster wounds, near death expereiences and she had never uttered a cry, she would not giver her violator that now despite the fact that he was no where near.

Breifly, as the contraction subsided with the pain, she wondered what the child would look like. Would her honey color skin or the milky white of the father's be visible under the redness of birth? Would the babe be tained by the evil his father had wrecked? As a Jedi she understood that goodness resided in oneself not in their parentage, but in her present emotional state the question left her firghtened, expecially if her child was strong in the Force.

What if the child was brought to the Dark Side? Could she fight against her own flesh and blood, to stop the darkness?

These were worries that had been assaulting her since she first realized that she had become pregnant and now the child was about to arrive they had intensified. She wished that the Council had allowed her to confide in her firends the truth of her absence from the Temple. She could have used the support of a friend, someone who could sooth her fears and help her to make the best decision.

But there were no friends, no former Master to sit by her side and ease her ache. She was alone with the healers that had been sworn to secrecy from the Temple, and that filled her with more dread then any dire circumstances she had lived through during a mission.

"It's time," the Ho'Din healer that towered abover her said in the mellifluous voice of his people.

She nodded, suddenly concerned that his lanky appendages would not be able to sustain the squirming weight of a new born baby. He smiled down at her reassuringly as if guessing her thought path. After all he was a Jedi.

"Are you ready?" he asked, gently.

No, she thought despairingly, but only nodded with the strength she had been taught to display and uphold. Little good would come from denying what must be.

"This happens every day a thousand times over," the Ho'Din took again to reassuring her.

yes, the birthing process may be a natural occurrence to the many different beings of the galaxy, but not for a Jedi. To the protectors of the galaxy, the servants of peace and justice, there was no allowance for love or attachment, negating any opportunity for the miracle of producing life.

For what felt lake an eternity she endured the onslaught of sensation that like a tidal wave, flooded over here again and again. But amongst the agony she felt something, bright, and clean touch her mind. It was a wild tentative touch, with little understanding behind it but a whole lot of emotion. The touch of her child.

He, for she coul

2. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Wow! This looks good. I can't wait until the next installment. I always wanted someone to rewrite the JA books.

3. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    This looks promising

4. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    Great Start!! I am looking forward to seeing more!!

5. Ohanzee_Tala

Ohanzee_Tala Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2002
    "Much better, much better. Let's go." I love the depth here. Will we ever know who Obi's mom is?

6. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I wish I had the time to tackle such a feat. But I enjoy the chance to read your version. This is looking quite interesting. I can't wait for the next chapter.

It's an interesting new twist to Obi's background. I have heard a number of people use the translation for Obi's name as "light in the darkness" but have been curious where this came from.

Either way, I'm eagerly anticipating the next installment of such an adventagous project. Good luck. :D

7. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    padawan3
    Wow! This looks good. I can't wait until the next installment. I always wanted someone to rewrite the JA books.

I have been thinking about it for awhile and just decided to do it.

PadawanKitara

This looks promising

I'm a little nervous about it, but hey I'm game for anything.

Captain_Observant

Great Start!! I am looking forward to seeing more!!

Hey thanks. I hope I do this right.

Ohanzee_Tala

"Much better, much better. Let's go." I love the depth here. Will we ever know who Obi's mom is?

Yes, we will know, but it will take a little while.

Arldetta
    I wish I had the time to tackle such a feat. But I enjoy the chance to read your version. This is looking quite interesting. I can't wait for the next chapter.

It's an interesting new twist to Obi's background. I have heard a number of people use the translation for Obi's name as "light in the darkness" but have been curious where this came from.

Either way, I'm eagerly anticipating the next installment of such an adventagous project. Good luck.

I didn't know other people had used 'Light in the Darkness' It came to me when I was writing Bound by Fate, as a continuation of the Chosen One Prophecy. I thought it fit, so I kept it in here. I wanted Obi-Wan to have always been a Jedi, as if he were one since his birth, it sets up his conflict when he is not chosen later. Thanks for ready.

8. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Ya quite cool, I too thought that the JA books were too juvenille. I only read them for a glimpse as to what Obi and Qui's relation ship was like. Wasn;t that satisfied.

Can't wait to see where you take this

9. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I'll be trying to keep to the basic plot lines, the places they go, some of the events that happen, but they will have a definite twist and much more deepth and understanding.

10. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Shamefully, upping.

11. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    I'll shamfeully up too. ;)

Maybe I read your other story, but I thought I read that type of translation in a few places. No matter. Personally, I like it. :D

And I know what you mean keeping to the basic plotlines. I'm my recent fic, I have ideas of how some of those 'adventures' went without Obi there. My story is AU and veers off when Obi goes to Bandomeer. But I figured that they still had to happen somehow. I guess in my own way, I am trying to re-do all the JA books too. but in an AU sort of way. Um, I think I'll shut up now. My thoughts are twisting in on themselves. Argh.

Well, I still can't wait for the next chap. :D Soon, I hope? ;) :D

12. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    What story is that Ardeltta? I would really like to read it.

13. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Looks great,

Can't wait to read the rest :)

14. G2Jedi

G2Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    i dun know about obi-wan, but kenobi means sword belt in japanese.

15. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    What? No post yet? [face_shocked]

What am I supposed to do??? Need more! Need More!!

And I'm glad you found my story. I know it might have been a bit of a search. (one of many) I'm just glad I'm taking the time on it and really developing everything.

As for this, I really can't wait to see this in it's 'Full Adult Glory.' I buy every Jedi Quest book that comes out(since JA is no more :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ), in hopes that Jude will give us even a little bit of angst! *sigh* I know I'm hoping for nothing, but I can't give up. Well, hope more comes soon. :D :D

::sits back to wait for the next chap::

16. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Cow_Girl
    Looks great,

Can't wait to read the rest

Thanks for reading.

G2Jedi

i dun know about obi-wan, but kenobi means sword belt in japanese.

That is so interesting. I wonder if George Lucas made that a point. I used light in the Darkness for several reasons, but basically Obi-Wan in his mother's native language means Light in the, and Kenobi means darknes. And when he goes into hiding, in old hebrew Ben means son of. So I thought it was kind of heart-wrenching if it appeared he changed his name to "Son of Darkness." Kinda sappy I know. Thanks for the info though.

Arldetta

What? No post yet?

What am I supposed to do??? Need more! Need More!!

And I'm glad you found my story. I know it might have been a bit of a search. (one of many) I'm just glad I'm taking the time on it and really developing everything.

As for this, I really can't wait to see this in it's 'Full Adult Glory.' I buy every Jedi Quest book that comes out(since JA is no more ), in hopes that Jude will give us even a little bit of angst! *sigh* I know I'm hoping for nothing, but I can't give up. Well, hope more comes soon.

::sits back to wait for the next chap::

Angst is on the way, believe me. Monday a post, and possibly earlier, but I'm not sure yet. I want to get this just right.

17. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    It was the heat that Qui-Gon didn?t notice. Inside he was too cold to feel the burning heat of the fires that engulfed the capitol building of Thani. Fires that raged as much as Qui-Gon?s own emotions. Telos was in an uproar, Crion, his Padawan?s father, had caused by declaring war on the nearby planet of Destori. Xanatos had slipped and had told his Master of his father?s plans, actually reveling in the fact that war would be waged for nothing more then further gain for a grasping old man.

This trip to Telos was supposed to be a turning point, when Xanatos would make the final stage from Padawan to Knight. Yoda had admonished him that he was only there as an observer, that he was not to interfere in Xanatos? actions. Qui-Gon had agreed readily never imagining the hell that would erupt, which the Capitol Building was trying to duplicate.

Ash fluttered in the air, grey bugs that clung to his sweat dampened tunic and leggings. His long hair had been tied back at the nap of his neck and he had already shed his long Jedi robe, to keep from the tongues of incineration from catching on him. Walking through the columns of peremecrete that were creaking as they expanded and contracted under the heat, he
    half crouched as he went, his hands tight on the pummel of his ignited lightsaber. The green lights seemed to be swallowed in the ambers of the flickering flames, as if everything that symbolized good was drawn into the void.

Qui-Gon tired to avert his eyes as he stepped over the bodies of Telosian citizens, some of them with eyes opened in surprise, stuck in eternity. So much death. How did it all start? He couldn?t quite place it. How could he have lost his apprentice to the Dark Side and he not notice?

After the horror, Qui-Gon would rationalize it as the newt placed in water and the heat being slowly brought to the boil. He was the newt, oblivious to the fact that there were slight deviations to his Padawan, the boy he had practically raised from childhood, the boy he had tended to when sick or injured, and the boy who was one of the greater causes of this doomed
    day.

The smell of burnt ozone assaulted his nostrils, along with other odors that made Qui-Gon?s stomach turn, the smell of burnt flesh. Sweat poured down every inch of his body, rolling in and out of his deep blue eyes, like metaphors of the tears that he would shed later. They didn?t come now though, his feelings had been squashed to a place where they would not interfere with
    the job he had been called to do. Or that was what he told himself.

His breathing was harsh, having been in the middle of the Telosian uprising against their governor and he felt more then exhausted. Still he pressed forward, searching for the one redemption possible. Xanatos had been thrown astray, turned by the lies of loyalty displayed by an aging father. He could not believe that the good he had seen his Padawan do was completely
    gone, that the glimmer of light was totally vanquished by the void.

As a Master he would guide the young one back to the right path, for surely he had done something to cause such a flaw in Xanatos. It was his fault and he would make it right. Surely the Padawan would come to his senses. He was a man desperate for any sort of reassurance right now, even if it were a lie.

He stalked through the wreckage like a lortal cat, not usually an easy feat for such a large man as the Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, but the Force of life thrummed through him, making his steps light and true. The fires billowed around him, wavering in the rising wind that tore through the holes in the Capitol Building wrought by the insurrection against Governor Crion.

Metal pinged from all directions, overriding Qui-Gon?s senses.
    Focus, Jinn,he admonished himself mentally, swiping hand over his eyes to dash sweat from him. He?s in here, somewhere. I can feel him. The bond that Qui-Gon had come to depend upon when searching for Xanatos had gone dormant, possibly dead, and he had to coun

18. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    AAAHHH!!! a nice LONG post!!! :D :D :D

Very nice. I like seeing Qui as a "normal" Jedi for a moment. Yes he still had his misgivings and reluctance, but he was not overly harsh an simply accepted being in the back ground for the moment. ;)

Well, I absolutely can't wait for the next update! I'm bouncing with excitement. :D :D

19. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Great posts, Zara! I've certainly wished that the JA books had been written better, and this looks very good. :D I'll be looking for the next post.

20. Ohanzee_Tala

Ohanzee_Tala Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2002
    Sweet. Finally, a reason to love Mondays. :D

21. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yes- definitely a reason to look forward to Mondays :)

22. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    MORE! This is really good, Zara. I think this could grow. Just update every Monday and Thursday. :)

23. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Arldetta
    AAAHHH!!! a nice LONG post!!!
    Very nice. I like seeing Qui as a "normal" Jedi for a moment. Yes he still had his misgivings and reluctance, but he was not overly harsh an simply accepted being in the back ground for the moment.

Well, I absolutely can't wait for the next update! I'm bouncing with excitement.

I wanted a normal Qui-Gon. He has a wisdom but in Jedi Apprentice that wisdom often came off as arrogant. I didn't seem him being overly hard on a twelve year old boy who just wanted to live the vision he knew he was supposed to be a part of. Thanks.

Cascadia

Great posts, Zara! I've certainly wished that the JA books had been written better, and this looks very good. I'll be looking for the next post.

Thanks Cascadia. I sweated over this post for two days.

Ohanzee_Tala

Sweet. Finally, a reason to love Mondays.

We have to find something to like about the dreadful day.

PadawanKitara

Yes- definitely a reason to look forward to Mondays

Thanks.

KrystalBlaze

MORE! This is really good, Zara. I think this could grow. Just update every Monday and Thursday.

I will definitely think about posting on Thursday. Thanks for reading

24. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    Another great post!!! This has so much more detail than the Jedi Apprentice Series...I like it much better. You have alot of good character development. Qui-gon's backflash really helps clear up the situation between the two.
    I am looking forward to more. Keep it coming!!!!! :D

25. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Fabulous post!! MOre soon right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.