main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nightmares Can Come True - TPM timeframe, OC agnst *updated 2/20/03* ~Now Complete~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by mouse2, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Here it is! A snapshot that grew into a mini-fic about how Rela deals with some of the events from TPM. ;)

Thanks to Jem as always for the use of Simeon. And Jane I hope you don't mind the small appearance of An-Paj. Obi and Qui of course belong to George, but the rest are mine. :)

Enjoy!

Nightmares Can Come True

How long had she been sitting there? Minutes? Hours? Days even? Well it didn?t matter. Nothing mattered anymore.

Smokey haze filled the dark interior of Hell?s Chance. Then again, wasn?t it always like that? But this was where everyone came to drown their sorrows and that?s just what she had planned. No one would bother her that she knew. All they had to do was look at her face and that was enough of a warning. Combined with the fact that no one knew where she was. At least she hoped no one did because then all her plans would fail.

She missed that numb emotionless feeling and today she planed on getting it back. All she needed was a little help from an old friend. Actually it had been keeping her company ever since she sat down. True she had nearly come to blows with the bartender over it, but in the end she won out. It was small, strong, and amber in color and also poured very nicely into a shot glass.

What was it about the pungent aroma that set her mouth to watering? Or was it the smooth feeling of the glass against her fingertips? She could remember the burst of flavor that would explode in her mouth after the first sip. The burning sensation as it slid down her throat would quickly follow. Just remembering the feeling made chill bumps race up her arms. But she couldn?t wait for that feeling of fire in her belly that made everything she never wanted to deal with go away.

She felt as if she were moving in slow motion as she began to lift the shot glass. Her eyes never strayed from that amber translucent liquid that filled it. It was now or never she told herself. The rim of the glass was a hairsbreadth away from her lips when suddenly it was gone.

?Dammit.?
    ?Don?t do this Rel. It won?t help fix things. You know that.?

Her eyes began to grow hot as she stared down at the worn surface of the bar. She couldn?t make herself look at him. She couldn?t stand to see the disappointment mixed with pity that was bound to be in his eyes. He must have followed her here. That was just like something he would do.

?Look at me Rel.? he begged.

Stubbornly she shook her head no and continued to stare at the bar. She propped her elbows up and used her hands to cover her face.

?Drinking won?t bring him back Rel. It?ll do nothing but kill you too.?

Her lip began to tremble as she made the mistake of turning and looking up into his eyes. There was no disappointment or pity in those dark eyes. Just sorrow like so many others. She could feel the tears begin to make tracks on their way down her cheeks.

?He was?? she tried to explain.
    ?I know.? He told her comfortingly.

After the questioning look on her face he continued in effort to explain.

?My master told me after you left. He?s known about it for a while now. He happened to compare medical charts and too many things added up.?
    ?It?s not fair,? she whispered desperate not to cry.
    ?No, it?s not Rela and I wish more then anything that it hadn?t happened. But you can get through this and if you need me I?m here for you.?

Without waiting for her to answer Simeon scooped Rela up in his arms and began to carry her out of the dark building. He was mildly surprised at the fact that she didn?t fight him. Instead she wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shoulder.

Undaunted by the stares they were receiving Simeon continued to carry her until they were back in the temple infirmary. Keeping as low key as possible he found an open private room with an isolated bed and quickly placed Rela in it. His heart constricted at the sight of Rela rolling to her side and curling up into a fetal position.

Not sure of what to do, he pulled a chair up next to

2. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    A very good start. I look forward to more. Feel free to update as often as you like. :)

lordmaul13

3. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    You posted it, you wonderful person you! :) :D :) I'm thrilled to see Simeon used in your story! But poor Rela! :( I've always wondered how the major protagonists would react to Qui-Gon's death. *sigh* Looks like Rela's taken it very bad indeed. Makes me wonder what's going to happen next.

I look forward to reading more! Wonderful start Mouse! :)

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    First off, I'm thrilled that this has turned to a mini-fic.. all the more for me to read, even if it is over the one most wrongly made plot point in SW! :D :D Secondly, you've certainly left me with big questions from the partial conversation between Rela and Simeon... can't help but make some assumptions here!!

Going to a cantina and even thinking about taking a drink is the last thing Qui-Gon would have wanted you to do Rela. I really thought Simmy was take going carry her off home, but I suppose the Temple infirmary is a better place.

I very much look forward to more Mouse, post often, post soon!! :) :)

5. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Intresting fic so far. More would be good right about now, I want to see what Rela's connection to Qui is

Poor Qui [face-cry]

6. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    lordmaul13: Thank you! I hope you stick around. I plan on posting daily, but sometimes I may throw another post in there for ya! :)

Jem: See! I told you I would! ;) As to what's going to happen next, I hope this will keep you occupied! :)

Leona: Yep, it just had a mind of it's own and kept growing. This post should answer at least one of your questions! :)

Arwen-Jade Kenobi: Thanks! I hope you stick around. :) Ask and you shall recieve! ;)

Enjoy!

Rela could feel herself sinking deeper and deeper into the bliss of unconsciousness. That just caused her subconscious to begin replaying memories. That was the worst part about sleeping. You always ended up revisiting events that you would rather forget about.

She could see the setting sun that had turned the sky a bright orange and reflected upon everything. Sky traffic continued to flow uninterrupted even with the days end.

Making her way through the temple Rela spotted both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan deep in conversation on one of the many balconies located in the temple. Being always one to eavesdrop she couldn?t help herself as she listened in.

They seemed to be talking about the fate of some boy. No wonder Obi-Wan seemed so agitated. Qui-Gon had picked up another ?pathetic lifeform?. Secretly she continued to watch and listen as Qui-Gon reprimanded Obi-Wan in that calm stoic tone of voice of his. She watched as the tall master put his hand on his padawan?s shoulder in a fatherly way as they watched the finishing of the sunset together.

After several moments Obi-Wan walked away. Qui-Gon started to follow him but seemed to change his mind at the last moment. Instead he turned back and gazed at the skyline.

As Rela watched Qui-Gon standing there alone she began to feel somewhat sorry for the tall master. He dealt with so many things that most others wouldn?t touch. Herself included. Slipping around the corner she finally spoke.

?He?ll come around. He always does. He just needs some time to work through it.?

Rela tried to sound as optimistic as possible. Qui-Gon didn?t turn but stayed standing with his back towards her.

?I was wondering when you?d finally speak up. Hear anything interesting??
    ?I?ve heard better. But don?t blame Scrubby too much for the way he acted. He just wants what?s best for you. He just is having a hard time making you see that.?

Rela walked over towards Qui-Gon as she spoke. When she finished she was standing nest to him, and looked up at his profile. Qui-Gon gave a deep sigh and smiled down at Rela.

?So how are you doing? Is Padawan Cates still treating you right?? he asked.
    ?Very much so,? Rela smiled. ?I was actually on my way to see him, but got distracted by your conversation.?

Qui-Gon raised his eyebrows and gave Rela a knowing look. But as he looked at her he became lost in thought.

?What happened to that little girl I used to know?? he asked.
    ?She?s still here. Somewhere.? Rela answered. ?She just got lost and had to grow up.?
    ?Are you happy?? he questioned.

Rela blinked in surprise at the question, and took a few minutes before answering.

?Yes, Qui-Gon I guess I am happy. I wasn?t for a long time, but things have finally seemed to start to work out.?

He nodded in return, not quite sure of what to say. What had happened to him? How had he managed to be so involved with so many things, yet leave so much unfinished.

?Qui-Gon?? Rela?s voice broke through his thoughts.
    ?Yes Small One??

Rela smiled up at him.

?You haven?t called me that in a long time. I had almost forgotten about it.?
    ?It just seemed fitting for the moment,? the tall master explained.

They stared back and forth at each other seemingly in wordless conversation.

?You think I need to go talk with him,? Qui-Gon stated.
    ?Yes. I know from experience when you let things go unsaid for too long they tend to begin to fester.?
    ?In that case I will go and find him then.? He promised as he turned to leave. ?Hopefully I?ll be able to talk

7. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    WOW, never saw that one coming mouse!!

MORE!

8. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    YAY, the connection between Qui and Rela is finally released! :D Of course, that just makes me more curious as to hearing about Qui and Rel's mother...I know, call me nosy, lol!

Well done Mouse!

9. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Arwen: Glad you liked it! :) Here's more for ya!

Jem: Okay you're nosy! :D But soon all will be revealed! ;)

It's short! But if I get the chance I'll post another one later this afternoon.

Sunlight streamed in through the windows and right into Rela?s face. She began to turn over to get away from it, but then reality came crashing back to her. Now she was wide-awake and couldn?t go back to sleep even if she wanted too.

Slowly she sat up in bed and looked around her. She remembered everything now. She was in the infirmary and Simeon had taken care of her. Just like he promised he would. He had even been there to stop her from drinking and in the end killing herself.

Of to the side Rela heard a soft snore echo. Looking over she spotted Simeon sleeping in what looked to be the most uncomfortable chair he could find. But Rela didn?t have time to watch her boyfriend sleep. Nor did she want to wake him up. She knew that if she did he would just try and stop her. Rela knew that there was something she had to do. No matter how unpleasant it was.

Kicking off the covers the redhead realized that she had slept in her clothes, although someone had been kind enough to remove her boots as well as her belt. Now if she could just find them. Slipping out of bed she began to search for them, and found them easily sitting right underneath the bed.

Quietly as she could she slipped her boots on and wrapped her belt around her waist. Rela began to tiptoe out, but she couldn?t help herself as she turned back and gave the still sleeping Simeon a quick kiss on the cheek. She convinced herself that although he always looked out for her, even if she didn?t want it, this was not something she could let him see. Some secrets were best kept as secrets. Turning back around she walked out.

She had to tell her mother Qui-Gon was dead.

10. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Hey.. I remember reading a Rela story before!

I liked her a lot... and this story is very good. Sad... she was Qui's daughter? I like! That's terrible that she has to go tell her mother, and Simeon was sweet for taking care of her :)

11. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Awww, that's desperately sad for Rela. :( But now I want to know how she's going to confront her mother with the truth...and how both parties will react on coming face to face again!

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Awe, poor Rela. :( I wanna see if they meet up with Obi at all and how they react? Will Rela get angry and blame Obi? Or will she know that he could do nothing?

Ah so many questions. MORE!

13. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    Aaaaaggghhh! You never said you were posting this Mouse! Good thing I got the timing right and caught it as it was sitting on top of the board, otherwise I might never have known! :p

Aww, poor, poor Rela. :( To admit to Qui she knows of the connection, but not to be able to have the chance to talk to him about it.

And after all her struggles against alcohol she almost let herself succumb... good thing Simeon was there to look out for her.

I'll be keeping my eye open for this now! ;)

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    :eek::eek::eek: Those little shocked faces just aren't expressive enough for me!!! I did have an inkling as to Qui being Rela's father, but it still managed to floor me... and still leave me an awful lot of questions... the foremost being why he didn't say "I love you" back"?

You know I feel even more sad for Rela than ever. I do wonder if it's really such a good idea to go see her mother... even to tell her of Qui-Gon's passing.

Superb Mouse!!! :) :)

15. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Thanks to everyone for your replies! As for questions being answered, you'll just have to stay tuned! ;)

Enjoy! :)

Rela had no idea how she had gotten there, but the next thing she knew she was standing at the front desk waiting to speak to a receptionist. She couldn?t be positive about it, but could have sworn that most of the faces she had seen walk past had wary looks on them. They couldn?t remember her, could they? The last time she had been here was about four years ago, right after Jemmiah?s miscarriage. Then again that visit hadn?t been the most wonderful of reunions.

?May I help you?? a young girl behind the desk asked. Rela assumed it was a young girl; it looked more like one of those insects you liked to slap at more than anything else.

?Er? yes,? Rela replied. ?I need to see a Laveau? er??
    ?Ah yes, I know of Lady Laveau. And you are??
    ?I?m? well I?m her daughter,? Rela explained, although she hated the fact that she had to admit being related to the woman.

?And you don?t know her last name?? the insect buzzed suspiciously.
    ?We?re not close. We?ve been estranged for most of my life.?

Why was she telling this to a complete stranger? This was not something she wanted to share with anybody, much less something that made her want to run out and buy a flyswatter.

?Oh yes, of course.? It buzzed condescendingly. ?Could you wait right here for a moment? I need to contact her healer concerning this.?
    ?Sure,? Rela shrugged nonchalantly. In reality she wanted to run out and find the nearest speeder so she could throw herself in front of it.

Rela stepped away from the desk and put on her best ?interested, but not really caring? face. Maybe she should just leave or at least have gotten someone to come with her. The more she thought about it the more she felt as if she was going to throw up. Just as she decided to leave it all for another day a deep voice boomed behind her.

?Ah, yes Miss Quinn. What can I do for you today??

Rela turned around and was met with the sight of a tall man with receding gray hair that was so long he kept it pulled back in a low bantha tail. Blinking a few times, more to settle her churning stomach then anything else, Rela began to walk towards him. Her mind was spinning doing its best to think of the most delicate way to tell him what she wanted.

?I have to see Laveau,? she blurted out aggressively. Oh yes, didn?t she bring that touch of class wherever she went.

The tall man instantly became uncomfortable as he began to study the chart he held in his hand. Rela could tell he was reluctant to look her in the eye.

?I?m afraid that?s not possible.? He told her. ?The last time you were here Lady Laveau went on a rampage for nearly a month. And that?s not including how far she was set back in her rehabilitation.?
    ?Rehabilitation?? Rela scoffed. ?Is that what you call it? The woman is clearly insane.?

?Then why do you want to see her,? He asked plainly.
    ?I never said I wanted to,? Rela corrected. ?I said I HAVE to. Something has happened to someone we both know, and she has to know. I would leave it to someone else if I could, but I know she won?t believe it unless I tell her.?

The tall man continued to shift uneasily. Rela could tell that he was having in internal debate with himself. Maybe if she could reduce his fears?

?Listen Healer?? Rela peered in to get a good look at his nametag. ?Wojciechowski, like I said, I don?t want to do this, but I have to. If it will help you can monitor the entire visit. No one knows better then I what she?s like. All I want to do is go in, tell her, and leave.?

Slipping the chart underneath his arm the healer nodded his consent. Turning slightly he motioned for Rela to follow him. They walked in silence except for the clipped sounds of their footsteps echoing on the polished floor. Rela clenched her fists tightly as she resisted the urge to run. As she finally decided to give in and forget about the entire thing, she was there at the door and she realized th

16. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    ?Thank you, but I sincerely doubt that this visit will last very long.?

Uh-oh...why do I think that bodes ill for this reunion? I can't think what Rela must be feeling. Imagine having to tell her mother the ghastly news! But will her mother even think it's ghastly???

Ach...nailbiting stuff! :D

17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    OOhh, I agree with Jemmiah!!! I don't envy Rela doing this... perhaps she could sneak out quick before mommy dearest sees her?!? I don't know why but the name "Wojciechowski" struck me funny!!! :D :D

Superb post Mouse... can't wait for the next!! :) :)

18. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I can't even imagine how to pronounce: Wojciechowski... I didn't try ;)

Poor Rela... having to tell her mother this... I bet her vital signs'll jump :)

19. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    ok, why do I have a bad feeling??

I suppose the answer to THAT question comes later....MORE!

20. lordmaul13

Oct 18, 2000
    Of course I'll stick around. I may be more of a lurker and may not make it by every day but I'll be sure to read.

By the way I'm really liking this so far.

lordmaul13

21. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Thank you for all the replies everyone! Here's a long one for ya!

Oh and regards to the healers name... I got it from a doctor that worked in my mom's office. Needless to say all his patients, nurses and receptionists called him Dr. Frank. ;)

Shutting off her emotions Rela stared at the unkempt huddled creature that sat on the bed who stared maliciously back at her. Like a showdown, neither moved as they looked each other over. Suddenly the figure on the bed began to lunge out towards Rela. The small redhead took an involuntary step back as she put up her hand to stop the figure from moving any closer.

?Just stay right there,? Rela warned. ?I don?t like you and I know you don?t like me??
    ?Then why are you here you?? she hissed.
    ?Listen, can we dispel with the pleasantries?? Rela asked in a bored tone.
    ?But I enjoy them so much. Can?t you grant an old woman her pleasures? You never gave me the pleasure of dying or not existing when I wanted you too. Why deny me this??

With her one hand still raised in defense, Rela clenched her other hand into a fist until she felt her nails pierce the skin of her palm. She was not going to let this woman get the better of her. Not today. She just had to keep remembering that this creature in front of her, her mother was a sick old woman who delighted in tormenting her.

?Stop it! If you?ll stop interrupting me I can tell you what I came here for and then I?ll leave. I promise you after today you?ll never have to see me again.?
    ?Then tell me you stupid girl!?

Rela felt like screaming out in frustration, but she didn?t want to give Laveau the pleasure.

?I was going to break it to you easy, but never mind.? Rela took a deep breath, mainly for herself, and then told her. ?Qui-Gon is dead. He was killed on a mission. You won.?

Rela wasn?t sure what she expected. Hysterics mostly. Joyful celebration with her mother dancing around the room came to mind as well. But seeing her collapse to the floor and cover her face with her hands as she cried was the last thing she thought would ever happen. At least the woman was showing some emotion besides hatred.

Although there was no way that Rela was going to comfort her.

?I never wanted him dead. I just wanted him.?

Rela watched as her mother lifted her face up to her. Tear streaks lined her cheeks and painful sorrow filled her eyes. She looked at Rela and held her arms out to her almost begging for forgiveness.

?Renisenb, my dear sweet Renisenb. I have wronged you for so many years. Please can you find it in your heart to forgive me??

Involuntary Rela took another step backwards closer to the door as anger began to course through her.

?Don?t you dare do this to me!? Rela hissed. ?You have done nothing for me for the past twenty years except wish me dead! This is not some holodrama and you will not get your happy ending!?
    ?Please I beg you my Renisenb!? Laveau groveled.
    ?Stop calling me that! My name is Rela! And you will get no forgiveness from me!?

Rela watched in slight disgust as her mother crumpled to the floor again. The dark red haired older woman continued to weep, but now more in pity than sorrow. Rela knew that she didn?t want to have anything to do with the crushed woman, no matter how much she might beg. All she wanted to do now was leave. Turning around she faced the door and raised her hand to knock to be let out. From behind her she heard her mother begin to speak again and instead suspended her hand.

?I first met him when he came to the planet Kalabah on a mission. My home planet? Our home planet? I was mystified by him. He was so different than any other man I had ever met. He was so courteous and charming as well as understanding. I knew that I must have him, and I always got what I wanted.?

Laveau paused in her speech and looked up at the still frozen Rela.

?The numbers? They come easily to you don?t they??

Slowly Rela brought her hand down, but she stayed facing the door.

?It?s an inherited gift.? Laveau expl

22. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Ooooh! A wicked woman with a tormented heart! (I like those kind of characters, lol!) So, Rela's mother went out of her way to land Qui? It seems it all went horribly wrong for her - but even although she deserves contempt I can't help but feel sorry for her, which is a tribute to your writing! :)

Where's the next post, lol!

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Wicked??? You forgot to mention arrogant and incredibly self-centered and selfish!!! As badly as I feel for poor Rela for growing up the way she did I think she can thank her lucky stars that she wasn't raised by that... ewwww... can't even think of a printable word for that woman! If you get the idea I don't feel a wit sorry for the mother... you would be correct.... not that I have any strong opinions on the matter. :D :D ;)

Outstanding post Mouse!! :) :)

24. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Sorry this is so late! It's been one of those days. :p

Anyway, enjoy! :)

Standing alone in the corridor Rela felt as if she were in a time lapse. Everything and everyone was speedily going about their business, as she stood there unable to move. She was stronger then this she knew. There was no way she wanted anyone in that building to how that visit effected her like it always does. She had to force herself not to wrap her arms around herself, as well as not be violently sick all over the brightly lit corridor.

Rela began looking around to see if the healer or anyone was nearby so she could tell them that she was leaving, along with the fact that she was most likely never coming back.

Then she saw him. She caught a glimpse of brown at first, and her gaze was drawn towards him. Gods, he followed her! How dare he, the stupid nargot! Yes, she would admit that she loved him for it, but this was a part of her that she didn?t want him to be exposed to. Or to see directly how the woman that was her mother affected her.

Now she really didn?t know what to do. She tried looking at him, but he had that damn hood pulled over and she couldn?t read his face so she looked away. Rela knew without having to look back up that he was walking towards her, she could feel it. She didn?t know what to do or what to say. But as soon as she felt herself enveloped in him arms with his cloak wrapped around them she knew it didn?t matter. All that mattered was that he was there supporting her.

?I thought you were asleep.? She whispered into his chest.
    ?I was. But you really weren?t that hard to follow. You kept stopping on your way here because I know you didn?t really want to come. And the red hair is kind of hard to miss.? He teased.

He squeezed his arms around her and placed a kiss on top of her head.

?Did you see???
    ?No, but I could feel that it wasn?t the best of visits. Then again they never are, are they??

With her face still buried in his chest Rela shook her head no.

?Frizzy, I don?t know who I am anymore. She told me that Rela isn?t my real name and kept calling me by the name she gave me.?

Simeon tipped her face up to look at him. He couldn?t resist giving her a quick kiss before saying anything.

?What was it you told me once? That when you got out of rehab that some old ?associates? tried looking you up. You remember what you said you told them??

She searched his face trying to remember what exactly he was talking about. After getting lost in his chocolate colored eyes it came back to her.

?That I wasn?t just a soldier anymore and Little Bit was dead. That I was choosing to live on as Rela Quinn.?
    ?Exactly.? He told her as he took her face in his hands. ?You are Rela Quinn, the woman that I love. She may be your mother, but what she says does not matter.?

He bent down and kissed her again gently. He couldn?t stand the way the subject of her mother would make her withdraw. She was so much stronger then that, but that woman did nothing but make Rela doubt herself. Breaking the kiss he rubbed his nose up against hers and smiled.

?C?mon Rel, let me take you home.?
    ?Are you up for the battle against Mrs. J? Because I?m not sure I am.?
    ?Well, I think I?ve persuaded Mrs. K to our side. If not I?ll just mind trick them into leaving us alone.?
    ?Isn?t that considered a misuse of the Force?? Rela asked him a small smile beginning to appear on her face.
    ?Yes,? he stated as he rubbed his nose against hers again. ?But you?re worth it.?

author's note: There is a snapshot in the works explaining just who Mrs. J is. I'll post the link as soon as it's finished and posted. ;)

25. lordmaul13

Oct 18, 2000
    Another outstanding post. :)

Keep it up.

lordmaul13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.