main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Last Of The Fireworks (ROTJ vignette, O/Q)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by female_obi_wan, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    This has been planned for ages. I keep telling myself to write it,and can't find the time or energy...but now I have. ;) I hope...

The Last Of The Fireworks

They had won.

The flames of the pyre had long since gone out, Luke had been found by his friends, the Emperor was dead, and Anakin Skywalker was back to the light. The galaxy was alight with joy and happiness.

But there was one person who still felt the cold.

He's seen Anakin,of course-he'd let him know he was forgiven. Strange that those words that had haunted his dreams for so long- 'I forgive you,my Padawan." should be said so...easily. And strange indeed it was that the face that had taunted him with his failures for so long-the face of his apprentice, grown up and fully of the light -should be seen today with his own eyes, standing next to him as a Spirit.

Strange it was indeed that today it was finally, finally, over.

Except for one thing.

As Obi-Wan turned the corner, he found the bright light he had been searching for. It wound it way round the trees, came to him, and then he saw his Master, standing in the middle of it.

"Master." Obi-Wan breathed, and he walked up to him, and kneeled.

"What are you kneeling for,Padawan?" came Qui-Gon's voice, rich with amusement.

"I am still your Padawan?" Obi-Wan said, not getting up.

"I remember thinking-" Qui-Gon said with a sigh "-and perhaps I never said it-that you would alway be my Padawan in some way or another. Get up, Obi-Wan. Come and walk with me."

He did so.

"We have much to talk about." Qui-Gon said as they walked. "Your heart has been far from rest these past years, and not just because of Anakin."

"I failed you,Master." Obi-Wan said, whispering the words he had repeated over and over in his head for more years than he could count. "I failed everyone."

They walked around a cluster of trees, and Obi-Wan found himself faced with a small lake. It shimmered and glittered and beckoned him closer, as if the lake was made of the Force itself.

"Look in the water,Obi-Wan." Qui-Gon said. "and tell me what you see."

Obi-Wan nodded, and knelt by the pool. He looked for a long while. "I see..." he said finally. "I see myself. A weak old man."

Qui-Gon knelt beside him and shook his head. "No,my Padawan. When I see you,I see a healthy, smiling, beautiful young man. And that is how it should be-because you didn't fail anyone. I failed you."

Obi-Wan had thought he'd had enough surprises. "What?" he said, and found his voice sounded like that of the younger man who had been trapped in memories until now. "How did you-"

"I left you." Qui-Gon said simply.

"But you didn't..."

"I left you, Padawan. I left you to a life of betrayal and despair. I've had time, wandering in the light, to think long and hard about it. I had time enough to see that some of my actions were born more from pride than from compassion."

Obi-Wan leaned forward and ran his hands through the water. It felt strange, like he was touching the water for the first time. Then again, he had lived on a desert planet for over ten years, having just enough water to keep him going, and certainly none to idly run his fingers through.

"What do you see, Master? In the pool." he asked, and realised with sheer amazement that he sounded once more like the young Jedi training under Qui-Gon Jinn. A quick glance in the pool showed him that he once more had the appearance of the child he was, too. The guilt of all the lonely years had disappeared like ripples in the water: they started, they spread, but eventually they vanished.

Qui-Gon noticed the change in his Padawan, and put an arm around him. "What I see,Padawan. I see myself in the place you were in. Lonely and lost. Had I known that would have been your fate,Obi-Wan,I would have done anything to stop it!"

"But which is the lesser." Obi-Wan said softly. "death or loneliness?"

And with those words, both of them stared at the other for a long, long while, listening to the distant sounds. For both of them were

2. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    Beautifully written and very nice!! A really great idea to have Obi-Wan meeting Qui-Gon at the end of ROTJ. I've often thought of writing something like that, but never had the time. Very sweet and touching. Lovely emotions and character development!

3. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Oh, how utterly lovely. *sniff* I did enjoy this very much, the way they acknowledged their past and put it aside to play.

Great job, FOW [face_love]

4. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    FOW - that was beautiful!

This paragraph in particular caught my attention:

It was at that moment that the biggest firework of the night flashed into light above Endor, illuminating the forest in dazzling light, much like the lightening that flickered above Coruscant the day the two of them had met. And then, with the knowledge that they, like all the people on all the planets throughout all the galaxy,were free, they suddenly hugged,the man and the child, like they had done so long ago, when both were happy and as carefree as they could be. Fate had not been kind, but now they could start again.

Great description, and excellent work linking that description into the Master and Padawan.

Will we see more from you soon?

Shaindl

5. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    Bellyup-Thanks!

Jedi_Suzuran-[face_blush] Thank you. :)

Shaindl-Thanks! I'm glad you like that paragraph, I liked it too. :) *goes off to read update on Roads We Travel*

Gotta go to school now. :_| But thank you for reading, everyone!

6. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.