main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Frayed Edges ~AU~ (Obi/Qui)--Vignette-- Updated 5/11

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RingThane, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RingThane

RingThane Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Hi! :)
    For the people reading my other stories, don't worry. This is a short vignette that is helping me to get back into the swing of writing.

Author: RingThane

Title: Frayed Edges

Summary: A forbidden friendship seals Obi-Wan's fate in the eyes of the most important person in his life.

This is a short teaser. I'll start posting the real thing later tonight.

When life?s cycle is cut short by choice

?Master Yoda, this is the only chance for Xan. You must send someone. No one else will go...I will.

?Know what this means you do.?

?I know.?

And choice is perceived as betrayal

?How could he do this to me?!?

?His choice it was.?

?It should have been my choice!?

What remains of the ashes come back

?For you this is. Hope I do, that bring enlightenment this will.?

as lessons in truth

I wonder sometimes if he would care if I were to die the next day.

That are easier to hear than they are to except...

2. Richard_Rahl

Richard_Rahl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    What are you doing to Obi this time?!

Very forboding RT! Post it soon! :)

3. Richard_Rahl

Mar 26, 2002
    Sorry [face_blush] Darn double post! :mad:

4. RingThane

Mar 7, 2002
    R_R Thanks my friend! :) I hope you enjoy this!

?At the funeral you were not.? The gravelly voice accused.

Qui-Gon stifled his urge to sigh; the rhythmic taping of a cane, echoing off the floor, steadily increased in volume announced the arrival of the ancient master. ?No.?

The taping stopped and Qui-Gon could hear Yoda?s disappointment in his voice. ?Want to know why I do. Expected you were. When come you did not, worry I did.?

Turning away from his mission briefing, Qui-Gon glanced at the tiny master. The master?s ears were hanging forward in sadness with eye lids drooped halfway over his large citrus eyes making him look more like a children?s toy than the powerful Jedi he was. ?I could not attend.?

Silence followed his words as if they were offended by his response. Qui-Gon met Yoda?s stare defiantly, daring the master to question his reasons further.
    ?A time there was, when go through walls for him you would.? Yoda settled his clawed hands onto the top of his gimmer stick and tucked it under his chin without breaking eye contact with the taller master.
    Qui-Gon winced as if he had been whacked in the shins. Averting his gaze, he mumbled in slight acknowledgement of being backed into a corner. ?That time has come and gone. What he did?is inexcusable and unforgivable.?

Yoda?s eyelids slid down, blocking out the sight of his former padawan. ?Sad day it is, when a loved one dies. Equally sad it is when the person closest to him hardens his heart to truth.?

?Truth you say?? Qui-Gon rasped, his hands clutching the mission briefing as if it was his only link to sanity. ?Well let me tell you something. I know that my?former padawan left for a solo mission to the outer rim without informing me that he had been selected to go alone. Truth is that I did not hear from him for several weeks.? He drew in a shaky breath trying to reign in his tumultuous emotions. ?Truth is that the council never informed me of the full extent of the situation or of whom he was meeting. So-?

?His choice it was.? Yoda interrupted quietly.

Something dangerous flashed in Qui-Gon?s eyes. ?It was His choice? What about me? I was his master. It should have been my decision to let him leave on a solo mission. A mission, I might add, that was too dangerous for a padawan. HE was not a knight! HE was a senior padawan who still needed guidance. You said it yourself. Not ready he is for knighthood.? Qui-Gon?s voice began to shake with the words that tumbled out of his mouth. ?HE took that mission without my permission to get back at me for allowing Anakin into my life. He was jealous and full of anger.

?And to think that I once thought I loved him. I was right when I first met him?I should never have taken him as a padawan.?

The edge of Yoda?s cane came whistling through the air as it connected with Qui-Gon?s leg. ?After twelve years, know him you did not if think you do that he did this to hurt you.?

?I knew him well enough.? Qui-Gon countered. ?Or I thought I did. This betrayal of trust was the last-?
    Yoda completely lost his patients with the recalcitrant master. ?Listening you are not!?

?With all due respect master, I have heard enough!? Qui-Gon replied in kind. ?He is gone now. Even if he was alive I would not be able to trust him again. Perhaps it is better this way.?

Something inside the old master deflated as he regarded his former apprentice. ?Great sadness you bring me today; great shame.? With exaggerated care, he reached into his robes to bring out a small, loosely bound book, whose well loved pages remained semi-intact. Before Qui-Gon could ask what it was, Yoda swiftly thrust the small volume into large callused hands. ?For you this is. Hope I do, that bring enlightenment this will.?

Turning around in undisguised disgust, the old master headed out toward the room?s exit. Qui-Gon grumbled under his breath, but his words still reached the ears of his mentor. ?Why can?t you leave me alone to train my new, worthy padawan??

The tapping stopped abruptly. ?Wish I

5. Richard_Rahl

Mar 26, 2002
    Obi's Dead?! [face_shocked] :_| [face_shocked]

What's up with Qui? Why wouldn't he go to Obi's *sob* funeral?

6. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

Oooh mystery I like that poor Qui Gon being as stubborn as ever. I can't wait to see what tortourous situation you put Obi Wan in this time.
    This is an awsome fic plz post soon

7. purplebabbit

purplebabbit Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    *sniff* that's so sad. But great work, can't wait to read more :)

8. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    [face_shocked] [face_shocked] Obi's dead????? :_| :_| :_| :_| And, yea, what is up with Qui-Gon? Why won't he even go to Obi's funeral?? Hmmm... Well, wonderful, captivating start nonetheless. :D

9. RingThane

Mar 7, 2002
    R_R [face_devil] Yup. Never thought I'd do it did you? Qui...well you'll find out soon.

Hananiah I think stubborn Qui and blockhead qui is the only way I know how to write him. 8-} I'm glad you're interested. I hope it continues to be interesting.

purplebabbit Thanks! :) The is more :_| to come too. Even though Obi's dead, he will be a big part of the last few post.

Jess you'll see soon why Qui's being a blockhead. ;)

I plan to have about 6 post all together.

I will post later tonight! :)

10. RingThane

Mar 7, 2002
    Anakin bounded into the room with his normal youthful over exuberance. At the age of eleven, he still acted as if he were several years younger, disappointing some of his elders with his utter lack of maturity.

Looking around in the living room of their quarters, he noticed that Qui-Gon was not reading in his normal over-stuffed chair. In fact, he was not in living room period. "Master Qui-Gon sir, where are you? I did the coolest thing today!"

When there was no immediate reply too his call, Anakin began to search through the other rooms. The kitchen was clean, a sure sign that Qui-Gon was not in there cooking. Continuing down the hall, he peeked into the fresher. Seeing towels that he had left laying on the floor were still there, he knew that Qui-Gon had not been in there at all that day. Next after the fresher, he checked the man's room. When he did not see the master at his desk, he frowned in frustration. /Where is he? I have to tell him about what I did today! /

The only room left to check in the quarters was Obi-Wan's room. Shuffling over, knowing that the man could not possibly be in his room, Anakin dragged his feet until he was at the room's closed door.

"Master Qui-Gon, are you in there?" There was no reply, but Anakin could feel the master's presence in the room none the less. Curiosity prompted him to open the door, just a little to see what the master could be doing.

Inside Anakin could just make out the large form of the master. Qui-Gon was hunched over in Obi-Wan's closet, grabbing clothing items and other paraphernalia out onto the floor behind him. At first it looked like he was searching for something; however, it soon became apparent that he was throwing Obi-Wan's things out of the closet indiscriminately.

Easing into the room, Anakin's forehead was scrunched in confusion. "Master Qui-Gon?"
    At the sound of Anakin's voice, Qui-Gon¡'s back stiffened before he turned around to stare down at the preteen. "You should not be in here."

"But you are." Anakin replied uncertainly, hearing the tone that Qui-Gon used on him.
    Qui-Gon did not reply as if he had not heard a thing. Moving toward the dresser, drawers were flung opened without ceremony, their contents spilling out of the sides.

"What are you doing to Obi-Wan's things?" Anakin asked. Not that he really cared about what happened to Obi-Wan's possessions, but Qui-Gon's behavior was way on the weird side, and totally out of character.

Without pause, Qui-Gon answered succinctly. "Obi-Wan will no longer be living here. I am clearing his stuff out so that you can move in."

Anakin's eyes grew to the size large corsca gems. "You mean it?"

"Yes, I do."

"What about Obi-Wan." Anakin reluctantly asked, almost afraid of the answer.

The wild flinging of Obi-Wan's possessions grinned to a stop as quickly as it had begun. Anakin stared at the master's back and listened to his elevated heart rate through their tentative bond. Biting his already abused nails, he quietly asked, "Did I say something wrong?"

Qui-Gon turned around slowly. "You don¡¦t need to know the reason now." He said in a clipped almost cold manner.

This was getting Anakin no where. Anakin's eyes filled up with large dollops of fake tears. Whenever adults refused to give him information, all he had to do was to tear up and put on a pitiful pout and they would fold in feeling guilty for the exclusion.
    Apparently Qui-Gon was no different from the adults that he met on Tatooine, for he immediately crouched down to Anakin's height. "Oh Anakin..."

"Am...am I the cause of this?" Anakin's voice trembled as he gestured vaguely at the mess the room had become.

Large hands settled on Anakin's slopped shoulders. "No, this is not your fault at all. Never think for one minute that this is your fault. Obi-Wan has...felt it necessary to leave."

"Leave? Is he coming back?"

Qui-Gon shifted uncomfortably. "No, he won't be coming back."

/YES! / Anakin managed to keep the glee he felt from sho

11. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    :mad: Anakin you Edited!!!!!!! :mad: And Qui!! What about you!! You do not throw away Obi's things!! You do not let that brat child take Obi-Wan's place!! *swears profusely* Sorry, nothing against you RingThane, I'm loving this fic! I just hate Anakin. :mad: And what about Obi?? :_| :_| :_|

Kit's note: Swearing is not allowed. Please review the guidelines in the FAQ

12. Richard_Rahl

Mar 26, 2002
    You would think that Qui would have some sense. :mad: [face_plain]

And Ani-brat... :mad:...I have never liked him, but now you have elevated my dislike for him more!

Please say that Qui comes to his senses. [face_poutylook]

13. Richard_Rahl

Mar 26, 2002
  14. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Beautiful start, RingThane ! Very intriguing. ;) I admit, I'm not one for Xanatos-is-good fics, but this looks very promising! :D

CAN'T WAIT for more...

Which means I NEED more...

IMMEDIATELY!

15. Hananiah

Jan 15, 2003

Okay I'm going to introduce Anakin to a large lava pit very soon! where is Obi Wan Oh god plz post soon!! before I do something to Anakin I won't regret!

16. RingThane

Mar 7, 2002
    Jess 8-} Do I have to wash your mouth out with soap young lady? 8-}

R_R When has Qui-Gon ever had sense?

LE Who ever said that Xan was actually good? [face_devil]

Hananiah I'll post soon! Promise! :)

Sorry I have not posted yet. It's AP exam week and I've been cramming...uh, I meant to say reviewing...

I'll have it up after my History exam tomorrow...hopefully. :)

17. Richard_Rahl

Mar 26, 2002
    I'm waiting...

18. RingThane

Mar 7, 2002
    And here it is! :)

?What do you mean Anakin can not be my padawan?!? Qui-Gon thundered, leveling one of his patented ?I?m not happy with the council?s decision? looks.

Mace Windu leaned forward in his chair with a look of bewilderment. ?You come to us one day after Obi-Wan was cremated and you?re asking to take another padawan??

?Obi-Wan is no longer my concern. He left me without asking for my permission to leave on that mission. HE died because of his foolishness and his lack of trust in me.? Qui-Gon defiantly placed his hands on Anakin?s shoulders. ?Now don?t you think that it?s a little silly to be worrying about a failed apprentice who betrayed me when Anakin is here??

?Failed apprentice?!? Mace sputtered. ?What in the name of the force has gotten into you Qui-Gon??

?My eyes have finally been opened to the truth Mace. Obi-Wan never cared about me. If he had, he wouldn?t have done this to me!?

Adi leveled a look at Mace when he about to say something that he might later have regretted. ?Master Jinn, you don?t know Obi-Wan?s reasons for leaving on this mission. You clearly did not trust him as you claim you did if you are questioning you?re padawan?s motives now.?

?What else would his motives be? He willingly left me to go with my former apprentice!?

?Yes, he left with Xanatos but-?

?And you!? Qui-Gon continued cuttingly. ?You let him! After all that Xanatos has done, you entrusted the boy with him?!?

?Change people can.? Yoda inserted after a time.

The snort that emerged from Qui-Gon was less than elegant. ?Change? Xanatos does not change. He puts on a mask while he plays you like a well tuned instrument. Is that not what you chastised me for Master? Taking him as an apprentice because I never saw the masks he wore??

?Years it has been. Hurt the boy was. His actions were out of pain and betrayal.?

?Betrayal!?? Qui-Gon almost squeaked. ?What about me?! What about his betrayal of me? He left me just like Obi-Wan.?

?That is enough!?

?How long was Obi-Wan in league with him? How long did you let him be influenced by-?

?If you had done your job correctly you would know that their friendship-?

?Friendship!??

"The will of the Force-?

?Don?t give me that crap!? Qui-Gon stood quivering in the middle of the chamber, his hands clenched at his sides, momentarily forgetting his original purpose for this council session. ?You allowed my padawan to have a?friendship with that creature of deceit? Oh, the wisdom of the council is boundless!?

?Become you sarcasm does not.?

?Forgive me oh mighty masters, I forgot who I was talking to.? Qui-Gon bowed low, mockingly. ?If your graces would be kind enough to tell me why such a decision was made to admit HIM back I would be eternally grateful.?

Mace looked like he was about to get out of his chair, but with one look from Yoda he settled back down. Adi raised her delicately plucked eyebrow at the elder master. When he nodded she turned her gaze to Qui-Gon. ?It is not necessary for you to know Master Jinn. Just know that your padawan?s connection to Xanatos was Force sanctioned. That should be enough for you.?

The explosion that they were expecting never came. Instead, Qui-Gon bowed his head, refusing to make eye contact with the council. ?I can not work for an order that keeps secrets from their members when those secrets deal with them directly.

?If I can not train Anakin in the order, then I shall resign.?

?No need for that there is Qui-Gon.? Yoda shook his head slowly.

?But there is master. I can not trust anyone anymore.? Qui-Gon gestured to Anakin to follow him as he swept out of the room without a bow.

The chamber?s doors slammed shut behind the retreating master. Silence echoed off the walls fro long minutes before Mace coughed lightly in his hand. ?You did give him Obi-Wan?s journal Master Yoda??

?Gave it to him I did.? Yoda confirmed. ?Read it he has not.?

?Will he ever after this??

The anc

19. Richard_Rahl

Mar 26, 2002
    Qui: :mad: Nope, no sense what so ever! :mad:

Ani: [face_plain] Just standing next to him in Obi-Wan's place soaking up all of the attention isn't he?

Obi: :_| Will there be an Obi post soon?

20. RingThane

Mar 7, 2002
    R_R [face_devil] Obi post after this next one. I promise!!

I'll work on the post sometime this week. I've got to make lesson plans for the English AP project.

21. Hananiah

Jan 15, 2003
    OMG Evil Qui Gon Anakin is infecting him
    Nooooooooooooooo
    Read the godamned diary plz!
    This is great I can't wait for more (hint hint hint)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.