main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FIC: Bant's Promise (1/1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by kaly, Oct 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaly

kaly Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2000
    Title: Bant's Promise
    Author: kaly (razrbkr@juno.com)
    Author's Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/kalyw
    Rating: PG
    Archive: no
    Classification: angst, first POV
    Warnings: Angst, follows canon
    Series: No
    Summary: After TPM, Obi-Wan returns to Coruscant and is met by an old friend.

Feedback: Okay, we all love it, even if we don't like to admit it. ;) And hey - I won't even try to mind-whammy ya for it :)

Thank Yous: Thank you kindly's to Master Kim, Holly and Kris for looking over this in various stages of being done. So any errors are all their faults! ;P kidding, kidding :)

Disclaimer: Ya know, I wouldn't put Obi through the misery that canon does... So I'm hoping it's painfully obvious that the boys aren't mine.

Bant's Promise

It's late when the shuttle docks, and there are very few waiting for it. Although the Temple is rarely ever fully asleep, most of its inhabitants aren't out at such a late hour. The same would be true for me on any typical night. Tonight, however, is far from typical.

I force myself to be calm while the shuttle powers down. I don't know what I will soon be faced with, but I have a fair idea. If I am right, I will need all my wits about me. Soon after the ramp is extended, the Council disembarks. I bow as is due to their status, but remain quiet. The silence that presses onto the hanger, broken only by their footsteps, is heavy. Even with the new arrivals, it is as if a shroud covers the hanger.

"Padawan Bant." Master Windu is the only one to speak, simply acknowledging my presence. They do not pause and continue on their way. Most of the others who were waiting with me follow them.

What happened on Naboo is not widely known - at least not yet. I have no doubt that word of the Council's trip and the events which preceded it will not be hidden for long. Especially given the dark and foreboding looks on their faces. Even Master Yoda, who is so often seen entertaining the youngest trainees, looks aged and saddened. The rapping of his gimmer stick on the hard floors echoes even after they are gone from sight.

I do know though. I know both what happened and when they were returning. But only because I overheard my Master speaking with Master Windu just before the Council departed. I had not intended to eavesdrop, but once I heard that Qui-Gon had fallen, I couldn't help but listen.

I had been fixing the evening meal, for my Master and myself. I was about to ask if Master Windu was to join us, and had moved as far as the kitchen doorway when I heard them speaking quietly. I stood still, hardly daring to breathe as Windu explained, rather quickly, what they thought to have happened. The idea of a Sith, shocking though it was, was dulled by my first thought of my friend. Master Qui-Gon lost. And Obi-Wan, a newly made Knight . . . alone.

I thought my heart would break in that moment. I clutched my arms across my chest and pressed my eyes closed. Almost from a distance, I heard myself willing it to all be a misunderstanding. I cannot imagine losing my Master, no Padawan can. I have seen time and again how close - even for a Master and Apprentice pair - Obi-Wan and Master Jinn are . . . or were.

I wanted to cry out at the injustice of it, for the pains my dearest friend must be feeling. With the exception of his Master, I know Obi-Wan better than anyone, and he me. I remember both the rejected boy I hugged goodbye before he left for Bandomeer so many years ago and the self-confident man he grew to become.

I didn't move. I couldn't move until sometime later, when my Master called for me. I looked up from my place beside the door, dazed, and saw him look at me with pain and understanding in his eyes. He knew I had overheard, as well as how the knowledge would affect me.

I never made a conscious decision to be there to meet Obi-Wan when he returned. It was simply a fact in my mind, from the moment I heard the news, that I would be. Luckily my Master understood. He gave me a hug, his face sad, but a distant smi

2. Nerrie

Nerrie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2000
    Poor Obi...I'm glad he has such a good friend in Bant. He really needed to vent as much as he needed comforting. This is a wonderfully (sad) story, Kaly...I remember your stories from elsewhere and hope you'll post more here! :)

3. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I think I read this on one of the lists before Kaly, but worth another read!! Excellent Story!!!

4. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    The others are right. It is a good sad story. Jedi

Knights, in my humble opinion, are being betrayed

unnervingly has perfect. Has TPM has shown, even

with the code, you can't change the man. Has

episodes 2 and 3 will show, it will reinforce

that.

If anything, Jedi Knights are like anyone else.

They just have more responsiblity for their actions.

5. JediRogue9

JediRogue9 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2000
    OMG That was so sad that it made me cry. I like your writing style. That really made me think of the events in TPM in a different light. That was awesome!

6. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Wow....very moving. I hope to see more, soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.