main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rematch. Obi/Qui/Ani. New post November 12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Nifet, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nifet

Jedi_Nifet Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    Title: Rematch
    Timeframe: Starts in the middle of ANH, then goes back to TPM.
    Genre: Drama, Angst, Action. AU.
    Disclaimer: That galaxy belongs to George Lucas (how unexpected!). I am but a humble girl with too vivid imagination.
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, original characters, minor appearances of others.
    Summary: After being killed by Darth Vader Obi-Wan Kenobi gets a chance to change the past. But at what price?

2. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    While we live according to race, colour or creed
    While we rule by blind madness and pure greed
    Our lives dictated by tradition, superstition, false religion
    Through the eons, and on and on
    Oh yes we'll keep on tryin'
    We'll tread that fine line
    Oh we'll keep on tryin'
    Till the end of time
    ~ Queen ?Innuendo?

Part I

He stood straight, unwavering, looking at the dark nemesis in front of him with steady gaze of clear blue-green eyes. His doom in the form of a black warrior ? Darth Vader ? towered over him, giving off waves of hatred and? remorse? No, he must be mistaken. The old man?s teary from exertion eyes sought the soul behind the dreadful exterior, his senses searched for the light that once shone so brightly. But tired eyes saw only the black breathing mask, devoid of any expression, incapable of transferring feelings even if they were there. And the old man?s senses only found darkness where promise had once been. He could feel no hope left in this shell of a human being.

There was no hope for mercy. But mercy he did not need ? nor did he want.

His life had come to its end, here and now.

Here and now?

A small unnoticeable smile of remembrance quirked his lips.

/You will die, Obi-Wan./ The old training bond flared to life for the last time.

At least Vader was giving him the right to die in battle ? if this could be called a battle. The last gift of the loving apprentice? Sarcasm never left him, not even here, on the brink of death ? or rather passing into the Force as was Jedi?s belief. But they both knew there could be no capturing the old knight. There was only death waiting for him, unless a miracle happened. But he was too tired now, body and soul, to believe in miracles. It pained him that the one to bring death to him would be Vader ? Anakin, the once ? and still ? beloved apprentice with whom he never found understanding.

Anakin, Anakin. You were so talented, you still are. Why didn?t you learn when I taught you? Why did you choose the worst side of yourself? Why?

But there were too many whys ? unanswered, hanging in the eternity he was about to join.

Obi-Wan turned to where he sensed Luke?s excited presence that was rapidly imbuing with painful shock. The boy was strong in the Force, he already knew what the outcome of this battle would be ? intuitively, no more ? but he knew nevertheless and didn?t want to believe it. Obi-Wan could sense the struggle inside him, could hear his unvoiced denial.

Too bad he had to leave the boy alone.

Alone?

No. He did not pick that arrogant yet kind in the heart smuggler and the Wookie for nothing. They were the right choice; they would take care of his charge until he found the way to contact Luke ? if he ever found it.

All the thoughts took mere moments to run through his head, fast as light. Obi-Wan turned back to his angel of doom, his black angel of death, how fitting. He would die, but the wheels of the giant machine of causes and effects had already come into motion. His reflection, caught in the shining black of Vader?s helmet, smiled back at him.

My poor, poor Ani?

Crimson deadly lightning rushed to him, unstoppable. Force screamed its warning ? the warning he did not need. He held his lightsaber steadfastly in a salute. Time slowed to a snail's pace. It dragged by millisecond after millisecond. He waited, waited for the end ? or would it be the beginning?

Abruptly time dashed forward again. Blazing bar of pure energy reached him. He fought the urge to close his eyes. White-hot searing pain enveloped him in an agonizing embrace. The Force that was flowing around him seconds before now rushed to flood him, to sooth him with calming waves. Like an ocean? Like calm blue waters of an Alderaani ocean?

Darkness clouded his vision for what seemed infinity. Time was of no essence.

Pain abode slowly until there was no pain at all ? as there were no feelings. He sighed with relief. It was over. Everything was over now. Darkness slowly dissolved into something else. He stil

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Are you kidding? Of course, you should continue....what a silly question!!!

4. clark1016

clark1016 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2001
    Please go on. This one looks like it could be very interesting.

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  6. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    wow...kind of freaky
    but yes, most definetely continue...it was awesome!!!

7. VadeyFan2002

VadeyFan2002 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2002
    Of course you should go on!
    Tarius himself seems like a Sith to me.
    The force surely doesn't bend willingly to his wishes.

Vadey

8. Freakizimi

Freakizimi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    *well, should I continue?*
    You need to ask that question? OF COURSE YOU SHOULD! You can't leave us like that (not to mention poor Obi-Wan!)!
    :D

9. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    dianethx: Of course, you should continue....what a silly question!!! - I guess the next post will show if the question is silly or not ;)

clark1016, thank you.

PK, thanks. Short as usual :)

Captain_Observant, thank you. I think I will.

Vadey: Tarius himself seems like a Sith to me. - Who knows, who knows...

Freakizimi: You can't leave us like that (not to mention poor Obi-Wan!)! - You are right about one thing - poor Obi-Wan ;) [face_devil]

10. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    Wow, my 1000th post! :)

Now let us see if the question was rightful or not :D

?But what exactly should I do??

Tarius folded his arms across his chest and looked at Obi-Wan like adults look at a silly child asking the obvious. ?Listen to yourself and you?ll know what to do.?

Shooting him a dubious look Obi-Wan closed his eyes and listened the way he had listened to the Force when he had been a small child finding solitude and serenity in great gardens of the Jedi Temple. Temple Gardens? He had seen what Darkness had done to them, he had seen them turned into ashes, and it was one of those many terrible sights forever imprinted into his soul. Bitterness wove its acrid band into his thoughts, but he firmly pushed it away. The Temple was still standing, he told himself ? and he now had a chance to keep it that way.

Knowledge came into his mind effortlessly as though it had been there from the very beginning ? if not from the beginning of his life then at least from the beginning of his journey into the Force. He opened his eyes, sweeping the scene before him for the last time from this vantage point of no time, and stepped straight into the body that had once been his. A surge of something beyond recognition flared inside him, not quite painful but the feeling on the verge of it. Time, space and Force swirled around him in a wild dance of nameless colours, obscuring the two opponents on the other side of the ruby haze.

He blinked? and the scene came into motion. Loud hum of generator and clashing of two lightsabers behind the red curtain cascaded into his ears. Tarius was nowhere to be seen, but he was not Obi-Wan?s concern right now. The Jedi?s eyes travelled to the two combatants in the round room and never left them.

What to do?

He was trapped behind the energy wall ? again. The sense of familiarity crashed into him, almost making him scream out of helplessness. He had to get through the red crackling wall. How?

And knowledge surged into him again. So easy! He sought the strength of his second self, the younger one. Entwined it with his own strength. Double power was almost agonizing in its intensity nearly tearing the body that was not used to such might. Gritting his teeth in incredible concentration Obi-Wan gathered the Force around himself, wrapped it like a cocoon and stepped through the laser wall.

Burning sensation spread throughout his body, eating him alive. It felt like walking through a red-hot durasteel wall, but he pushed forward with grim determination, knowing that if he stopped he would die. He could not lose. He would not! He closed his eyes in an attempt to spare them, but the blazing heat easily penetrated the weak protection of human eyelids. And still he moved onward.

It feels like midday on Tatooine, Obi-Wan thought wryly, never stopping the agonizingly slow movement.

Suddenly the heat ended, and he allowed himself one deep cleansing breath. Air felt crisp and slightly stinging to the abused lungs ? and incredibly, impossibly sweet. But the moment ended and so did his rest. Opening his eyes Obi-Wan ignited his lightsaber ? and stepped into the fight. Once again he was to fight the Sith but this time he was more than willing to kill him, unlike Vader?

Out of the corner of his eye Obi-Wan caught Qui-Gon?s surprised glance but let it pass for now, concentrating on the forgotten easiness of moves, letting the Force flow though him, guiding him through the intricate pattern of fight.

Swing. Block. Slash. Parry.

Vader?s face ? mask, he corrected himself ? stood before Obi-Wan?s eyes. He could not let Vader be, he could not let Qui-Gon die. The young and strong body was moving almost automatically leaping, twisting, wielding lightsaber with grace he regretted losing as an old man.

But as the battle raged on his thoughts took a path of their own. Over the years he had replayed this fight numerous times, trying to imagine how it could be different. Yoda was always reproachful of this habit, but Obi-Wan could no more stop himself from thinkin

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Great post. Full of action and surprises. I'm so glad that neither Qui or Obi died in that one! Will Obi-Wan be knighted now? And there is still the question of Anakin's Padawanship...will Obi-Wan be able to persuade Qui-Gon that Ani is dangerous? So many questions and I assume they will be answered in time....

12. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Very well done, but I think the master will keep pressing for answers that Obi-Wan isn;t willing to give.See I can give more than one word answers, sometimes. I usually get home from work so exhausted, that I don't have much to say. BUt that doesn't mean I'm not reading and enjoying. When you find me babbling a lot, like now, assume a sugar high :)

13. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Very interesting. The title's appropriate in retrospect, because Obi-Wan has really been set up to relive his entire life again.

But living life again will lead to contradictions, because having Qui-Gon alive will change everything. I'm curious as to how you will balance the past and the "present" so that they work out well. Because I sense, eventually, Obi-Wan must return to become one with the Force once again.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    Thank you, dianethx. You're absolutely right, all the questions will be answered in their own time, and for some of them it will be pretty soon.

PK: but I think the master will keep pressing for answers that Obi-Wan isn;t willing to give. - I think so too :D
    I usually get home from work so exhausted, that I don't have much to say. - I understand that. I wish I did not though ;)

Valiowk, thank you. I'm going to put in an unexpected twist (at least I hope it's going to be unexpected) ;)

15. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    Hope to get the next post up in a couple of days.

16. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    Geez, never thought it would take me so long to write this, or rather that it would take so long to get to writing this. But the post is here at last. Hope you like. By the way, it seems the question was rightful since the half of the readers has mysteriously disappeared in an unknown direction between the first and the second posts. Okay, back to the story.

Numbness spread all over Obi-Wan?s body, drowning out the pain, and he gladly welcomed this doubtful respite from constant agony that had been nagging at his abused body ever since they?d left the Generator Core Room. Sharp biting pain ate into the skin and muscles, penetrating, it seemed, every bone. Black fuzzy dots danced at the edges of his vision, but he kept walking by the virtue of the sheer will power, supporting himself with the Force as much as he could. But his connection to the great energy was erratic at best, wavering and faltering precariously each time his concentration slipped a tad.

Qui-Gon who was walking in front of him would stop occasionally and ask, ?Are you all right, Little One? Maybe we should stop and take a rest??

And Obi-Wan would shake his head each time, declining the tempting offer, although his battered body pleaded for rest. He would have gladly accepted but knew that once he stopped there would be no strength left in him to continue.

They went on and on for what seemed like hours, making occasional short pauses for Obi-Wan to catch his breath. In any other place Qui-Gon would have simply scooped him up into his strong arms and carried all the way to the nearest medic facility, but it was not an option here. The narrow corridor was barely large enough for the towering Master to fit in, and the ceiling was so low it could provoke a fit of claustrophobia in a sensitive person.

Neither Jedi was claustrophobic ? or it would have posed great many problems in their already less than unclouded life ? but even they felt weighted down by the close ceiling in the narrow confinement of the passage.

The unnatural, dead pale-blue light of glowrods under the ceiling reflected from metallic walls and basked the two silently moving figures in eerie luminescence. The overly bright glow assaulted tired eyes, burning them, blinding. Obi-Wan?s movements became automatic, droid-like over the time. His consciousness became distant, detached, and he watched himself dully as though from the outside.

Qui-Gon turned yet again, asking if they should stop. Obi-Wan blinked rapidly, trying to get rid of repugnant blurriness in his eyes. The Master stood watching him in silence. Qui-Gon?s long hair, mattered from the gruesome battle were now painted silver, his face as though cut in stone under the lifeless light of the corridor, and Obi-Wan took a moment to simply watch him. Traces of weariness lined Qui-Gon?s face with sharp lines, emphasized by his obvious concern.

A ghost, a sudden thought struck Obi-Wan. He looks like a ghost. I must be looking no better. Except, I AM a ghost? Or am I?

Thoughts tangled on themselves, making him wonder if he had lost an ability to think clearly all together and if it was permanent? Or if it would pass with time.

Time?

Time had looped today bringing him back to where he had thought he could never come again. Thoughts tangled once more, falling into a mass of confusion, throbbing with an almost palpable ache in his brain.

?Padawan?? the Master?s voice was gentle and soothing like cool water, splashed over the overheated skin. ?Can you go on??

?Huh?? Obi-Wan slowly blinked, focusing bleary eyes on Qui-Gon. ?Oh, yes, yes? let?s go.?

The Jedi Master studied him carefully, wondering if the apprentice was telling the truth or was simply trying to appear strong ? after all these years the Padawan was still reluctant to show his weakness choosing instead to push himself to the limit. Qui-Gon only hoped that the limit wasn?t yet surpassed. The harsh merciless light of this corridor gave Obi-Wan an ethereal look, making him appear painfully young and fragile. The stron

17. VadeyFan2002

Sep 30, 2002
    Obi-Wan is dead to the world, isn't he.
    He reminds me of someone in a delerium.

Qui calls him little one?

18. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    Vadey, can't say Obi-Wan is very lucid here :D

Qui calls him little one? - Sure, why not?

19. VadeyFan2002

Sep 30, 2002
    Well Obi is a grown man, near his knighthood.
    And it sounds like Qui-Gon is in the habit of calling him that. Wouldn't 'young' Obi-Wan loathe being called that?

20. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    I am enjoying this fic!

Wondering what Obi-Wan has sacrificed (the pain that will come) for him to have saved the man he considered his 'father'.

More soon please!

~Bek

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked this post a lot. The thoughts of Obi-Wan as he sank into delirium (it seems), the problem of the future impinging on the present, the pain and exhaustion that keeps coming - great job with the characters! Hope Obi-Wan will not drive Qui-Gon away with his foolish pride in not accepting help.

Looking forward to more....

22. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Okay, Nifet - I'll make no promises about posting regularly - and I absolutely do NOT have time to start reading another fic - but this looked intriguing - and it is - and I admit to being hooked.

Very nice plotting and characterization, and loads of suspense and angst, plus vivid imagery.

Great start - and I'll check in whenever I can.

CYN

23. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    very very nice portrayl of their relationship. I realize that he can't trust QGJ with what he knows, but he should lean on him just a little right now. But he isn't thinking clearly enough to figure that out.

24. clark1016

clark1016 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2001
    Well, you're only three posts into this and you've managed to hook me in. I'm looking foward to seeing how this one unfolds.

25. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    Vadey, your reasons are valid, but I came to that from different point. Obi-Wan is Qui's son in the Order, they've been together since Obi was very young. Qui calling him that shows affection. Besides, he's calling him that in private, not in public. So why would Obi-Wan loathe it?

Thank you, Bekah. Obi-Wan is about to sacrifice much, really much. And all I can say right now is 'poor Obi' [face_devil]

Thank you, dianethx. Hope Obi-Wan will not drive Qui-Gon away with his foolish pride in not accepting help. - I hope so too ;) :D

Cyn, I am surprised and flattered by your attention. Thank you for your nice words. Will be glad to see you here whenever you come.

PK, thank you. Indeed he doesn't seem to be thinking clearly enough to figure out some important things.

clark1016, glad you're enjoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.