main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ready to Crash (Obi-Wan Drama) Post: 10/14 #9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by KrystalBlaze, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/blazers_ewan/coverq.gif]

Cover art by obaona

----------

Ready to Crash
    By:KrystalBlaze

----------

Disclaimer: The Great Flanneled One owns all. The title of the fic comes from the Matchbox Twenty song Cold from the More Than You Think You Are album. It was written by Rob Thomas and Matt Serletic.

----------

Summary: A voice is calling Obi-Wan to the sea. When the Council refuses his request to investigate, he and Anakin take matters into their own hands as Obi-Wan faces a dangerous and deadly fall from grace.

----------

Tell me how we're going to make it last
    You're ready to fly
    I'm ready to crash

-Cold
    , Matchbox Twenty

----------

Prologue

The waves crashed around him, violently thrashing his body with its relentless rolling. With one arm and his legs, he propelled himself towards upward, his lungs aching painfully. His right arm sang in pain, sending a sway of pain of pain thudding through his body. The saltiness of the ocean stung his eyes, but he forced them open, swimming for the surface, swimming for air.

He erupted with a gasp, the wind and water slapping his face. He opened his mouth to scream, but water filled it, and the waved pushed him under again. Choking, he forced his limbs to move and headed once again towards the surface. Drowsiness began to attack him, and for a moment he closed his eyes, allowing himself to drift away for a minute.

No.

He began to swim. He had to swim. He would not let himself be killed without a fight. If the Force wanted to take him, then so be it, but he would not go quietly. He refused it, breaking onto the surface once again. He pried his eyes open and forced himself to survey his surroundings, looking for any means of land. He wanted to curse the gods when he saw nothing but dark ocean, but once again he was pushed beneath the waves.

The voice began to fill his ears.

?Come.?

Oh, it was so lulling and beautiful, peaceful yet forceful. He wanted to close his eyes and let the waves rock him to sleep, but his heart protested at the thought. He mustn?t sleep. There was something to be done. He had to fight? must fight?

?Come.?

He had to battle the titanic urge to sleep within himself. Had to, had to, had to. There was still so much to be done! He had to train Anakin? he had to fulfill his promise? he had so much work to do? the Council still had to send them on missions?

?Come.?

He wouldn?t go. His lungs began to ache. His limp arm screeched in pain and the salt stung the gash in his stomach. Kicking with his legs and paddling with his uninjured arm, he came to the surface long enough to gasp a breath of air, and then sank underneath the roaring sea.

?Come.?

He tried to banish the noise from his ears, but it was useless. Even when it wasn?t being spoken, the words danced throughout his mind, teasing in their softness and weakening his mind with the want to follow them. His eyes drifted shut once more.

Anakin!

They flew open, stinging again. Anakin! Anakin had been with him when? he was in the ocean? he was somewhere in the raging water! How could he have forgotten his Padawan? If he stopped fighting now, would Anakin survive? Was he weakening in the terrible depths of the sea? What if he had lost consciousness and was all ready dead?

?Come.?

And suddenly the picture filled his mind: Anakin lying on a grassy hill, his arms spread out in front of him and blood trailing from a cut on his face. Even in the water, his breath hitched at the sight. Spinning himself around, he shot his gaze downward, searching for any sign of civilization, his mind twisting in grief when he saw none. Where was Anakin?

?Come.?

Anakin was with the voice. The voice was beckoning him to Anakin. He could feel the power in it, vibrating with his Padawan?s Force-presence. Anakin was calling him. He had only to close his eyes to find his apprentice. That above everything was the most important. He must find Anakin!

Closing his

2. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Ahh KrystalBlaze you just killed me. Wow.
    Your stories always make me jump.
    Nice wonderful post!!!!
    Sincerely
    PatttyB0123

3. darla101

darla101 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2003
    Oooh what a start!

4. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    I don't know what to say! This is great! I want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    looks like you're off to a great start

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Definitely a terrific start. Very intriguing and wonderful imagery.

Keep going....

7. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wonderful beginning, Krystal.

Here was a standout for me:

He had to battle the titanic urge to sleep within himself. Had to, had to, had to. There was still so much to be done! He had to train Anakin? he had to fulfill his promise? he had so much work to do? the Council still had to send them on missions?

Great characterization of a dutiful, loyal Knight.

And the description of him struggling in the water was so breathtaking, I could feel it. ;)

Need more...now! :D

8. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Patty: Your stories always make me jump.- Thank you! [face_blush]

darla: Thanks. :)

diamond_pony: Thank you for the compliments! They mean so much!

Paddyjaun: yah, a reader. Thank you!

dianethx: Very intriguing and wonderful imagery. Thanks. [face_blush]

LuvEwan: And the description of him struggling in the water was so breathtaking, I could feel it.- Thank you, thank you thank you thank you thank you!! Your comments are always appreciated, I'm a fan of your work! Thank you for reading my stuff!

Part One

Anakin Skywalker awoke to a scream that drove any sleep from his bones and caused him to spring to his feet, his lightsaber flying to his hand. It took a moment before he remembered who the scream belonged to, and more importantly that it wasn?t serious. It was funny, after waking up everyday with the scream for the last half year; he still awoke with a need to protect his Master and himself. It was strange, though, to fathom the notion of protecting Obi-Wan Kenobi from himself.

Obi-Wan was worrying him. He woke up every morning at the first trace of light, his piercing cry echoing through the apartment they shared. Once, Anakin had asked the Padawan in the apartment next to theirs if she heard the scream, and, solemnly, the child had said yes, but her Master had told her not to say anything. Smiling, Anakin sent the child on her way and resolved to ask his own Master about the dream.

His mouth was set in a dead line as he sat on the couch telling Anakin he would not discuss the thing that made him cry out so terribly. Disturbed, the Padawan had urged him to see a Mind Healer about it, and Obi-Wan had calmly told him he would see a Healer when the Jedi Temple fell and the Republic died. That ended the discussion before it could even truly begin.

Anakin was still worried. The Council had kept them busy over the last year, and Obi-Wan?s troubling sleeping tendencies did not help. Although he was not troubled by the dream that plagued him inside the Temple, there were others that seemed to feed off the dark energy of the one that sent him screaming, leaving little room for rest. Anakin knew this by the fact his Master did not wake up screaming at the twilight and instead whimpered softly during the night. The noises made the apprentice uncomfortable, and he tried to forget them.

He eased back onto the sleep-couch, placing his saber onto the stand next to bed within easy reach. He pulled the covers up around him, tiredness spreading once again throughout his limbs. Obi-Wan would all ready be getting prepared for the long day ahead. He was never able to sleep after the nightmares; instead he dressed, ate the first meal, and usually went for a walk in the Room of a Thousand Fountains. When the dreams had first plagued his Master, Anakin had tried his hardest to follow Obi-Wan in his walks and his rigid schedule of waking up at the crack of dawn; but it had become next to impossible. He couldn?t handle his Master?s sleeplessness.

He heard Obi-Wan give a cry and swear, then fast muttering. Despite himself, Anakin grinned.

Obi-Wan always ran into the door.

_____

His dreams were calling him to the sea.

Obi-Wan Kenobi tossed a pebble across the lake as he walked down the cobblestone path of the Room of a Thousand Fountains, pausing to watch it skip merrily until finally sinking. The soft trinket of noise was the only sound in the vacant and chilly room. He tugged the cloak around him tighter as he sat down on a bench.

He was fed up with it all. He was sick of the dreams and seeing the concerned look on his apprentice?s face whenever they met for the first time of the day. He didn?t like the disquiet that graced Anakin?s features when he saw the deep bags under his Master?s eyes and the way Obi-Wan?s eyes often drifted shut at meal times, only to be forced open a second later. He didn?t want Anakin?s concern and certainly not his pity.

If only the dreams would just s

9. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Oooooh, things are tense already. [face_shocked]

Great dialogue, Krystal. Very believable. ;) And this storyline has me hooked already! I need more...soon!

10. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    I agree with LuvEwan! You totally caught me! What do these nightmares mean? Obviously they're trouble for Obi! Ok, whenever I read an Ani/Obi I always ask this. Is there any Ani/Obi angst in this? And if you read an Ani/Obi story and I reply there, expect to see that! lol :D But this is an awesome story! GREAT POST!!!!!!

11. clark1016

clark1016 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2001
    As if i weren't following enough stories already, you had to go and start this one. You hooked me in with the first post.

12. PatttyB0123

Apr 2, 2003
    Ahh! what a way.
    What nice.

The story move softly. Is like walking into the sky.

I love how you show Anakin. The nice padawan. And Obi-Wan wow he is not so bad with the boy. My eyes turned wet, hey I got some tears.
    Next post.

13. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I see many nights of making time to read this in my future, Krys. ;)

Excellent work. Only on the first chapter, and I already think this is really a fantastic piece of fic. I really do adore your writing style. Long and descriptive without being bulky - it takes skill to do that. :p

I'll be looking forward to this!

tf

14. Exist2Inspire

Exist2Inspire Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2003
    This is KrystalBlaze. I was banned in the Mafia Game on the JCC, if you really want to know. :mad: Eck, stupid Mafia... and I was a Citizen! :_|

And onto the reviews!

LE: [face_blush] I'm very, very glad you like it. This is one story I'm having a terrible time with, and that's dialouge that goes with the characterization. The only other story I have that invovles Anakin portrays him as a brat... and that's the way I usually write him and the way I generally see him up until about two years before AOTC. It's... HARD to write him like this, and it's good to know I'm doing an "okay" job at least. Thanks! :)

d_p: Is there any Ani/Obi angst in this?- My apologies, no. :( I don't do Anakin well, and that would be pushing the boundaries for me.

clark: I apologize for adding to the work load. :p Thanks for stopping by!

Patty:... um... thanks? :p Gald you like the way I'm carrying on with this. :)

TF: [face_mischief] I see many nights of making time to read this in my future, Krys.- well, that's good, I think you need sleep deprivation. ;)

I really do adore your writing style. Long and descriptive without being bulky - it takes skill to do that. [face_mischief] Thanks, TF! Which is weird, because I could say the same thing about you. :D

15. Exist2Inspire

Exist2Inspire Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2003

Part Two

?But I can?t do it!? Anakin cried angrily, throwing his lightsaber to the ground.

Obi-Wan?s migraine grew worst with the thud of the lightsaber striking the mat. Anakin?s fury at himself screamed rage through their training bond, causing the pain to dampen even more. The class of six year olds who were supposed to be practicing lightsaber moves were beginning to watch them. Their class instructor glanced at Obi-Wan before gently chastising them.

?Anakin,? he said softly. ?This is a difficult kata. It?s all right that you can?t do it immediately.?

?But you can do it, Master!?

At that, the young Knight had to smile. ?Anakin, I have about thirteen years of experience over you. It?s fathomable that I?m able to do it. It would be insulting if I couldn?t.?

Anakin squatted on the mat, lightsaber in his hand. Sweat was slowly descending down the arch of his chin, and he impatiently burned it away with the back of his hand. His pale eyes shot daggers into the wall, and Obi-Wan noticed that there was a muscle twitching in his right cheek. ?It?s insulting to me that I can?t!?

Obi-Wan bent down next to his apprentice. ?As I said, this is an extremely difficult kata. You?re not expected to get it in the first day, or even in the first week, Padawan. You?re trying too hard. Relax. Trust in the Force; let it guide you. Don?t think.?

His face still wrenched in the agony of defeat, Anakin stood, his lightsaber clutched to his chest. ?I?m sorry, Master.?

?It?s understandable to be angry at yourself,? Obi-Wan admonished. ?Don?t think anything of it. Now, face me. Clear your mind. Feel the Force. Trust me, Anakin, you have to trust me.? Anakin suddenly looked very guilty, and Obi-Wan had to look away, too. How could he ask Anakin to trust him when Obi-Wan had not let allowed himself to trust Anakin?

Obi-Wan struck out first, freeing his mind to the Force and letting it guide his motions. Anakin twisted violently, ducking away from the lightsaber and reaching it out to strike his Master in the back. Obi-Wan was barely able to twirl around in time to block the blow. He backed away, shutting off his lightsaber and looking to his apprentice angrily. ?Did you forget the sequence of moves??

Anakin appeared aghast. ?Oh, Master, I?m sorry! It?s just . . . it?s so hard! I can?t do it! You have to do this and then this and then curve around! This is harder than any of the katas I?ve had to do before! Did the Masters just teach me wrong??

?Anakin, stop,? Obi-Wan said in a whisper, his migraine attacking once again. ?Katas are supposed to be difficult at first.?

?But the other ones weren?t!?

?Not everything in life is simple, my Padawan. It?s reassuring that you have to work to get this kata down. They?re not meant to be easy and weren?t made just for you to pass. They teach discipline and trust in a Master-Padawan team, and trust in the Force. These are the reasons we try and teach you the kata.? He saw Anakin?s stricken look and added, ?And they also come in handy with fights.?

It broke the tension and Anakin laughed, slapping his knee. The sound was painful to Obi-Wan?s ears, and the lights seemed harsher. ?We?ve had enough for the day. You?re free for the rest of the day.?

Anakin?s face perked up. ?Thanks, Master. What are you going to do??

He shrugged. ?I?m going back to the room. I?m tired.?

?Oh.? Anakin turned to leave, hesitated, and then spun around. ?Master . . . don?t worry. I?m sure Knight Eerin was wrong about the Mind Healer. You can?t just talk your nightmares away. Dreams pass in time.?

Obi-Wan was surprised at the wisdom in Padawan?s words, and a slow smile spread on his face. He would have preferred Anakin not mention it, but he wouldn?t let Anakin go thinking the words had no effect on him. ?Thank you, Padawan. I?ll remember that.?

Anakin grinned playfully. ?Yeah, well. . . One day you?re going to use the words on me, I know that.?

?What goes around comes around, right??

?Right.? Anakin turned merrily and strode thr

16. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    You have excellent characterization with Obi-Wan and Anakin, I could see them acting exactly the way you wrote them. And Obi-Wan's dreams are so eerie! No wonder everyone wants him to see a Mind Healer. This reminds me of something I'm writing right now!

Very good job, I'll be sticking around.

17. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Another fantastic, hooking post. [face_shocked]

You portrayed Anakin's frustrations concerning his troubles with new saber moves wonderfully.

And your descriptions of Obi-Wan were great, as well... But his loss of temper was surprising..and disconcerting.

What's gonna happen? :confused:

I can't wait to find out. :D

18. PatttyB0123

Apr 2, 2003
    Nice post. I like the way you are showing Anakin is lovely.

You have good details in your story that make readers see their characters. humm poor Anakin. And Oh! boy poor Obi-Wan

19. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Another excellent post. I loved how you interwove Anakin's problems with the lightsaber and his comment about dreams passing in time.
    Poor Obi-Wan. The guy really could use some sleep and he does need to go to a Mind Healer. Maybe they could put him under for a bit and he could sleep without dreaming....

Looking forward to more...

20. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Mooné: You have excellent characterization with Obi-Wan and Anakin, I could see them acting exactly the way you wrote them.

[face_blush] Thank you! That means so much! I was so worried about both of them. I've never tackled Anakin before, and he's a handful to put on paper.

This reminds me of something I'm writing right now!- Really? What?

Thanks for stopping by!

LE: Whew, I'm so glad you're sticking with this fic! I'm glad you're liking it. ;)

Patty: [face_blush] Thankies.

diane: Maybe they could put him under for a bit and he could sleep without dreaming....

SSSHHH! Don't give away the ovbious. ;) (can't spell)

I loved how you interwove Anakin's problems with the lightsaber and his comment about dreams passing in time.

Glad you caught that, I didn't think anyone would. Thanks for reading. :D

21. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002

Part Three

Water, it has something to do with water. Someone is calling me to the sea; someone wants me to go. I wouldn?t be having these dreams if they weren?t; it has to be something that happened on one of the missions.

Obi-Wan practically ran to the Archives, nearly running over a young initiate in his haste. The girl?s Master opened his mouth to say something, but he issued a quick apology and continued his trot towards the Archives. His missions passed through his mind as he struggled to remember all the planets he had ever been to with Anakin that were mostly water.

?Can I help you, Master Kenobi?? Jocasta Nu, the Archivist, asked has he came in, his robe swirling around him. ?The night clerk is coming on if you need help.?

?No, please, Madame,? Obi-Wan said. ?I need to see the files of the missions.?

?Oh?? Jocasta asked. ?Well, then, your missions with your apprentice, I suppose??

?Yes, Madame,? Obi-Wan answered, glancing out towards the darkened Archives. The computer consoles were still on, and despite the late hour, Jedi Knights were prowling the aisles, searching for resources to help them in their missions. Obi-Wan noticed Bant at a computer console, no doubt looking up information for the children she cared for in the crèche. He moved his head away so she didn?t see him. ?His name is Anakin Skywalker.?

Jocasta?s smile was genuine. ?Well, I know that, Master Kenobi. Follow me.? He followed her past the reference desk and down aisles towards an alcove tucked deep in the corner of the Archives. There were at least three other Knights there, and each nodded their greeting as they strode past. Jocasta led him to a bookcase that spanned two of three walls.

?Well, here you are, Master Kenobi,? she said, handing him a thick holo-file. She pointed towards the spot she had gotten it from. ?Please return it when you?re done; I?m sure you know the drill. May the Force be with you and whatever you need.?

?Thank you, Madame,? Obi-Wan said, bowing. He read the name on the cover.

Obi-Wan Kenobi- Anakin Skywalker (MA-8997)

He took the file and set it upon a vacant table in the corner with a computer console. Seating himself, he paused before opening the file, almost dreading what he would find. He wanted the dreams to stop; they were hurting his training time with Anakin and that was something Obi-Wan refused to stand for. If he followed the voice and listened . . . he could end the dreams. Someone wanted him.

He scanned through the file, stopping each time to struggle and remember the planet?s layout. When he couldn?t recall, the computer was called in. He researched the planet, looking for any hint of an ocean, lake, or even a river. It was possible erosion had engulfed the planet with water, but so far none of the ones he checked were water-worlds.

He checked the file all through the night. He didn?t feel the hours slip away, or the rising of the sun as dawn drew near. By the time he set it down and rubbed his temple, the three Knights were gone and first light was setting in through the shades. Yawning, he went and opened them, wincing when the glare met his world-weary eyes. He sat back at the table in frustration, kneading his temple with his fingers.

Was his logic misplaced? Were the dreams not premonitions, but his own dark fears? Were the dreams only that- dreams? Did they mean anything at all? He wanted to shout in frustration. He had gotten his hopes up because he thought the dreams were connected to a mission with Anakin, and they had nothing to do with them. He could not recall for the life of him a mission to a world covered with water.

Perhaps Anakin remembered. But that was silly. If there was no world filled with water, then it didn?t happen with him. He wouldn?t remember-

Obi-Wan?s fingers stopped kneading. He closed the file and slipped it back in its place. He began searching for a name, but was surprised when he found that the files were coded. He rushed to the desk sitting in the corner and pres

22. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I cannot go on like this.

:_|

Neither can I! So much suspense! [face_shocked]

Wonderful descriptions of Obi-Wan's weariness and anxiety, him wanting to run through the file, but too full of apprehension to do it. :(

This story is really, truly great. I love every skillfully placed, and beautiful, word. One of my favorites instantly.

Please continue! I'm stickin' to it til the end (which hopefully won't be for a loooong time!). ;)

23. PatttyB0123

Apr 2, 2003
    Ahh you stop there. :_|
    I felt that I want jump there and read that file. :_|

Great post I stopped breathing when he got the file then Ahhhh!!! :_|

Waiting for the next one.

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Another wonderful post. I really liked that Obi-Wan realized that he could not go on like this, that it was interfering with his training Anakin. I had to nod at him putting away the file that he knew he needed to read because of fear - I do that myself, ignoring what needs to be done because it may be too painful to face....

And now he is going before the Council. He should tell them that he needs some downtime but I doubt he will do that...

25. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    LE: This story is really, truly great. I love every skillfully placed, and beautiful, word. One of my favorites instantly. Thank you. [face_blush] I don't know what to say to that, but thanks. I'm glad you're liking it. *gives LE chocolate*

Please continue! I'm stickin' to it til the end (which hopefully won't be for a loooong time!).

Well, this was initially supposed to be a short story... ;) But usually I set out to write a short fic and end up writing a novel. *eyeroll* ;)

Patty: Thanks for reading. :)

dianethx: He should tell them that he needs some downtime but I doubt he will do that...- now, that's not the Obi-Wan we all love and know! ;)

Thanks you for the nice review. It really brought to light some of the better portions of the fic, especially when I believe this fic is trash. ;)

I'll try to get the next post tomorrow, but no promises. I only have one other part written, and I don't like posting a part when I don't have more than two or three posts written. Adios for now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.