main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Obi-Wan Challenge Stories - Closed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
  2. Hi everyone! This thread is a branch of my thread on the Writers Resource Board. The thread is a place for those who write Obi-Wan to come and debate questions and to work on challenges that will hopefully allow us to learn more about this wonderful character. :) The first challenge was suggested by Shaindl and is as follows:

In one post, show Obi-Wan doing the same activity at different ages and show how his perspectives on it differ as he matures.

Any Obi-Wan writers are welcome to post to this challenge! :)

Here is the link to the original thread if you have any questions or suggestions please post them there.

Obi-Wan Character Workshop

First post will be up shortly! Please come and join in! :)

Thanks! o_e

List of past challenges

1) In one post show Obi-Wan doing the same activity but at different ages and his different perspectives on it as he matures.

2) Write a post that either begins or ends with the phrase pathetic life form .

3) Write a Halloween or just a spooky post that involves Obi-Wan. It could involve how he would react to a frightening or unbelieveable situation etc.

4) Write a post about Obi-Wan and his robe/cloak.

5)Write a piece that shows Obi-Wan experiencing happiness/excitement. It can be Obi at any age and under whatever situation your clever minds can think of.

6) Write a descriptive post of Obi-Wan, but do it anonymously using a sock.

7) Write a post that shows Obi-Wan having to deal with an object. The object can be anything your minds can think of. Let's try to keep it board friendly though.

8) Kill Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Following rules apply:

1) no clones: he must die - not a temporary death (like two minutes and they get his heart started again).

2) Keep Obi in character: like he can off himself - but he needs a reason, self-sacrificing death, tortured to death for his loved ones

3) He must be between the ages of 5 and 40. No killing old Ben.

4) He must pass into the Force for good.

9) Challenge frenzy. Someone challenges you to write outside of your norm. A racier version also running along with this one.

10) Sock challenge returns! RULES!!

11) Romance challenge:

Write a post that shows Obi-Wan involved in a romance or being romantic. [face_love] The following rules apply:

1) Obi-Wan can be any age.

2) Your viggie can not be a spin off of any pre existing stories of yours. You must come up with something fresh.

3) He can not be killed or die in this challenge!! No loopholes either!!! No blue ghostie Obi! :mad:

4) Obi-Wan must be the focus of the romance. Meaning he can not just be observing a romance between another party. ex: Anakin and Padme or Jinn and Tahl.

5) Most importantly, HE CAN NOT DIE-BE KILLED-BE IN THE PROCESS OF DYING-FIND OUT HE"S DYING-ALREADY BE DEAD-NO LOOPHOLES HE MUST BE ALIVE THE ENTIRE POST!!

12)Write an Obi drabble!

The rules:

1. A drabble is a work of exactly 100 words.
    2. The title does not count toward the 100, and it may be up to 15 words.
    3. Obi-Wan must feature in the drabble.
    4. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    5. A straight flush beats four of a kind.
    6. There is no Rule #6.

For anyone needing a bit more help coming up with an idea, you may want to try including one or more of the following themes:

Family; Green; Memory; Desert; Sport; and Eyes.

These are not mandatory, but are included as aids to inspiration.

October will be Evil Obi month!!! [face_devil]

RULES!!!!!

1) Obi-Wan must be truly evil. ie: He can?t be undercover and just pretending. [face_devil]

2) He can not be redeemed! No Hallmark moments at the end. :rolleyes:

3) Challenge yourself not to take the easy way out and off him. :_|

4) Extra bonus points to those who let Evil Obi be triumphant.

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I screwed up, OE! This is my 900th post on the boards - I meant for it to go on Somewhere, but it'll do for it to go in support of one of your other threads. :)

Here it is, kids. I told OE that since I was the one who suggested the challenge, I better have something to go with it relatively soon. I wrote this last night in about thirty minutes, while I was all full of Sinutab, and while my two big black Labs were trying to crawl into my lap (yes, I know they're not lap dogs, but try telling them that :D ), so excuse me if this isn't quite coherent. :D

Chocolate. It's my favourite.

Specifically, the chocolate my Master makes every once in a while for me. Usually when I'm sick, or been injured on one mission or another. But sometimes, for no reason at all, he'll just disappear into the kitchen of our quarters, or the galley on whatever transport we're using and he'll come out with a steaming mug of my favourite drink in the galaxy. I've even seen him come up with it on planets that have never heard of the stuff. I'm not quite sure how he does that, and I've never really wanted to ask. It's just another of the incredible things he can do.

In some ways, it's one of the most amazing. For a man who can't cook anything else, it's amazing what he can do with some chocolate and some water. I mean, I?ve even seen him burn toast. Hard to do in an automatic cooker where all you have to do is punch the button marked ?toast?.

But that?s my Master. And no one makes chocolate better than him.

I tried making chocolate today. I threw it out.

Could barely even look at it. I poured the water, smelled that rich scent and almost retched. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

For a moment, I didn't understand; I needed comfort, so I turned to the one thing that has always comforted me the most. And then, it hit me - of all the things I associate with him, this is the one that has always been with me, the one that always appeared when I needed it most. Today I needed it more than I ever have.

Except it always appeared at the end of a big hand that inevitably made the mug that was in it look tiny. I won?t be seeing that hand anymore, not after today.

I doubt I'll be having chocolate anymore.

My Padawan is ill.

Stuck on that dustball of a planet for the first years of his life, he's never had the inoculations Jedi children have. So now he's come down with Mystacca flu, and he's curled up in that big bed of mine, the one that used to be my Master's, looking as sad as anything I've ever seen. I've been racking my brains to come up with something that will help.

And now I've found it.

On a top shelf, where I couldn't ? or didn?t want to, perhaps ? see, pushed to the back, one lonely container. I stared at it for a while, unable to take it in hand, even though I knew it was what I was looking for, albeit unconsciously. It's only when there's a gentle and familiar push at the back of my mind that I reach out for it. It's like it was left there on the shelf, waiting for me to find it when I needed it. My hand shook as I grabbed it.

Now, somehow, the smell once again brings comfort instead of pain. I try to tell myself that the loving caress in the Force is only a figment of my imagination.

But I don't really believe myself ? nor do I want to. I hope mine?s as good as his was.

I thought that it would help. Whatever possessed me?

Shopping in Anchorhead, with the rather meagre credits I have to my name, I spent the last precious few of them on that blasted container. It was the same one that I had pulled out of my cupboard those years ago when he was sick with Mystacca flu, the one that seemed to have been waiting for me to find it. Perhaps it's senility finally setting in. That or delirium. Force knows living here on this blasted planet is enough to make anyone delirious.

So I bought it. And thought to make myself a mug with some of the precious water that is so hard to come by here.

And promptly threw it out. Th

4. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Congrats on 900! :) Thirty minutes huh? Very moving and a testament to his devotion to those he loves. :)

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Lovely, Shaindl! Especially the part about Buckethead burning the toast :D

6. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    That was fantastic Shaindl, I really liked how he could only stand to have the chocolate after Qui-Gon's death when he felt that Qui-Gon was near. Wonderfully done. :)

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was sooo sad

8. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Wonderful job, Shaindl! :)

Here's my own humble addition to this great thread! Hope you all like it...

HIS OWN PLACE

This place has always brought me serenity. Ever since I was seven years old and stumbled across this one particular spot in this one particular place. Of all the places within the grand Room of a Thousand Fountains, my favorite place has been, oddly enough, small and secluded. A quiet grassy lawn next to a small pond, it isn?t a place one would automatically notice or go, which is why it?s perfect for when I simply want to be alone. I seem to enjoy my solitude more now. Despite what all my friends tell me, I doubt I?ll be spending much more time here, so I suppose I better enjoy it while I can. Three weeks. Three weeks and I?ll be thirteen years old. Thirteen, the magic age where an initiate is either chosen to be a padawan or sent to Agricorps. I cannot suppress a sigh as I lay back against the cool grass, enjoying the stillness and calm of my favorite place. A place I might well have to leave forever.

After all the times I?ve been here, after all the times this place has managed to soothe me no matter how badly I might have been hurting, it chooses this moment to forsake me. In the part of my mind that still thinks somewhat clearly I realize that it is futile, even silly, to be angry at a place. This place is just....a place. Nevertheless, though, it?s a place that has always brought me peace and now it doesn?t. Perhaps it?s easier to be angry with this place than it is to be angry at the person who left me. Unbidden, an image of my Master forms before my eyes and I sink to my knees under the weight of grief that I?ve kept at bay until now. On the small patch of grass I?ve come to think of as my own private sanctuary I simply bury my head in my hands and weep. Weep for my lost master, but also for an innocence I never even knew I had until I suddenly lost it.

I?ve always somehow enjoyed the solitude of this place. It was a peaceful solitude, a chance to center myself. Now, with the Empire taking more control with every passing day, it?s a lonely, empty seclusion that I find when I come here. The darkness seems to have tainted everything, even this quiet little corner of mine. It appears there is nothing and no one that can escape the cold, evil fingers of the Empire. I try once more, as I have done since I was a child, to find the calm center that once came so easily. Even in this small area of perfect tranquility I find that the calm center I once grasped with such effortlessness eludes me, even as I try to hold onto it. Even this wonderful place cannot help me find the answers to the darkness that is slowly taking hold of everything around me. No matter how hard I try I cannot find the peace of mind to figure out what I should do about my padawan. Anakin seems to be slipping further away from me, and the Jedi, with every passing day. For the first time in a very long time a thrill of real fear steals down my spine. Fear for my padawan, fear for the galaxy and fear for the future of the Jedi Order. This place has always helped to soothe me but this time my fears are too deep and too real to be allayed by even this beautiful, innocent place. For if the Empire really does take the foothold I fear it will, if the darkness really does conquer, even this beautiful place of sanctuary may be destroyed and continue only in my memory.

9. Sheila

Oct 6, 2002
    Wonderful astroanna. That was very haunting especially the part about the Empire. Great job. :)

10. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    ohhh!!!! :eek: Loved that astro ! The part about Anakin slipping from his grasp, brought a tear to my eye! Bravo! :)

11. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    great job astroanna

12. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wow. [face_shocked] These were really wonderful!

Such a bittersweet look into a detail of Obi-Wan's life, Shaindl. ;) Very creative, and a lovely, seamless melding of the different periods during which the memory of Qui-Gon's chocolate drink endures. [face_blush]

Haunting, astroanna. That's all I can say. ;)

13. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Okay, I guess we're allowed to just post them, according to the Workshop, so here goes...

Response to Obi-Wan Writing Challenge #1:

It was?

Remarkable.

Obi-Wan's eyes widened, fastening on it, caressing the smooth hilt with an awed gaze before he could move his fingers to do the same.

This was the moment. The sacred event when all the mounting suspense and sweet, intense, hopeful dreams culminated into a few seconds. The brief, precious pulse in time that could never be repeated.

He was holding his lightsaber.

And it wasn't the faux weapon wielded (sometimes clumsily) by a gangly initiate, settings limited to avoid more than superficial burns, always with that vague feeling of mimicry, of indistinctness, among the other Jedi students.

No; this was his, built by his own hands.

The black ridges of the radiator casing that enclosed the delicate, but utterly powerful sapphire-hued crystals. The textured segments in the middle, fit to the width of his hand, with sufficient room for the adolescent's inevitable growth. The complex and engrossing circuitry, protected by a gleaming projection plate.

And a smooth, untouched button.

Vibrant red.

Taking a sharp inhale, Obi-Wan pressed down on the activator.

He was a young boy, with all the childish eccentricities that came with the title. But he was also a Jedi, and the two were constantly at war in his mind.

His training most often won, as it did now. Obi-Wan expected to jump when the fresh blade protruded, for the first time, from its painstakingly crafted sheath.

A Jedi held no illusions.

So he was more than a little surprised when the glowing azure sword emerged, and he remained perfectly still, staring down at the wonder?and realizing that it felt right.

This lightsaber wasn't a bland copy of a thousand others. It was an extension of his hand--of his soul, the energy thrumming under his touch as surely as his heart beat within his chest.

The weapon had existed for little more than an hour, and yet, Obi-Wan found he could barely remember life without it.

He exhaled shakily. The slick, obsidian walls reflected the cerulean brilliance of the crackling blade, softening it, creating an almost warm incandescence.

Obi-Wan lifted his eyes to watch the radiant display, his lips parted.

The Ilum cave was a place of thick, cold darkness, leaching the palest of light, with craggy ground that greatly contrasted with the nearly seamless walls. An icy wind buffeted his robe, whipping it around his legs.

Initially, making the long and precarious trek with his Master, Obi-Wan couldn't suppress his bone-deep shivers, braving the unforgiving planet's terrain with a determined face. Qui-Gon had paused at the yawning entrance of the ancient cavern to study the quivering mouth (that concealed helplessly chattering teeth), and offered calm words:

"This is not the first journey you have undertook, Padawan." He said solemnly. "And it will not be your last. But it will define and reshape the remainder of your existence--if being a Knight is truly, to the core, the goal of your life."

Obi-Wan looked up at the towering Master with steady conviction. "It's all I've ever wanted."

No one else could have discerned the shift in that iron expression; only the boy could detect the tendered leonine features. "Then you must go forward. Alone. I cannot be with you in this. A Master and Padawan are a single unit, linked in the Force.

"But this construction is a labor of the spirit. Your spirit. No two Jedi experience the same emotions during the assembly." His hand fell to his apprentice's shoulder. "Take all the time you need, Padawan." The smile that didn't touch his mouth danced in his striking, midnight eyes. "Cherish it. And I'll be waiting for you."

Obi-Wan discovered he couldn't bring himself to smile, either. Instead, he slowly embraced his Master, feeling the warmth of the rangy body admit the swirling frost. "I know." He murmured.

Then, he backed away, turned, and stepped into the s

14. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    WOW! LE! Words escape me right now. I'll come back tonight after work and respond once I've had a chance to re read slower and savor it! :)

15. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Shaindl
    Astroanna
    LE

wonderful stories. such different topics and all so well written.

thank you

16. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Wow. Astro, it's amazing what three paragraphs can do. That was incredible, especially the part about the Empire. Very haunting (I know, that's been used already, but it's the perfect word).

And LE, dear, you keep getting better and better. That was the best thing you've written yet. Absolutely seamless in the way it flowed together. Bravo.

OE - thanks for creating this idea and thread. It's amazing how the three of us who have posted all picked such different things to explore the facets of Obi-Wan's life. Beautiful work, girls!

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Shaindl

17. Sheila

Oct 6, 2002
    That was absolutely beautiful LE. I have to agree with Shaindl, you just keep getting better and better. I loved how you showed both the joys and pain associated with Obi-Wan's lightsaber. Terrific job. :)

18. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks you guys. [face_love]

19. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Okay LE ! I got a chance to re-read, although I fully intend to savor it later, and I have to say that I love the part about his first kill. I've never seen anyone tackle that and you did it brilliantly!

Look like doll. Pretty. Doll to play with." [face_love] If only! :)

20. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    That was an emotional rollercoalster, and all about one little lightsabre. WOW

21. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Don't ask! :p

Six year old initiate, Obi-Wan Kenobi, stood by the side of his bed, bright blue-gray eyes carefully inspecting the pristine garments that lay spread out before him. Tiny fingers slowly reached out and trailed over the soft sand colored cloth, a smile curving the edges of his lips.

Lifting the pants, he gingerly balanced on one foot, the other sliding into the pant leg. Repeating the action with the opposite leg, he buttoned them closed, his hands taking a moment to smooth down each leg, ironing out any imaginery creases.

The long sleeved inner tunic was slipped over his head in an orderly manner, fingers tucking it into the waistband of the pants. Once certain that everything was in it's proper place, his attention turned to the outer tunic, with it's billowing sleeves and smooth silky lining. His eyes lighting up, he slipped both arms into the sleeves before bringing them in front of himself in a V shape.

Careful to hold them together with one hand, the other reached out to grab his tabards, settling them across each shoulder. Taking a deep breath, he picked the sash up and wrapped it around his waist, securing the fastener that held it all together.

A small giggle escaped as he remembered the day he found out that the sash's official name was obi . Master Yoda had given him a stern look as he had broken into gales of laughter, before joining in.

Still smiling, he relaxed as he slid the belt around his sash, snapping the ends together. The most difficult part successfully accomplished, he sat on the edge of the bed and pulled on burgandy boots, tucking his pant legs into the tops.

Fully dressed, he stood in front of his full length mirror and proudly studied the full regalia.

"Obi! Are you ready yet?"

Sighing at the sound of Garen's impatient voice, he ran a hand down the tabards before hurrying to catch up with his friends.

Long ginger lashes fluttered before fighting their way open. Blurred from sleep, the blue-gray orbs took several seconds to bring the wall chrono into focus. As the numbers grew clear, a muffled oath was heard as the young man erupted from under the pile of covers.

Scrambling to reach his clothes chest, his legs became tangled in the scattered blankets sending him crashing to his knees. Moaning pitifully as he stood gingerly and rubbed the offended limbs, Obi-Wan hobbled over to the chest of drawers much more sedately.

Opening each door and removing the necessary articles of clothing, he began to mutter in frustration. He didn't understand why the Council didn't make drastic changes to the dress code! With the way events were so rapidly unfolding in the galaxy, it would be prudent to free up every available minute. He spent half of each day trying to get in and out of the Jedi tunics!

Impatience tightening his youthful freatures, the twenty two year old dropped the sand colored tunics in a pile on the floor. Taking a deep breath, he suddenly sprang into action.

Pants, inner tunic and outer tunic were yanked on quickly and with no thought to neatness. The tabards and sash were haphazardly slapped on, followed quickly by the belt and boots.

A quick run of his fingers through the spiky hair and a tug to straighten his braid, Obi-Wan rushed out of his room, never once glancing into the mirror.

The howling wind woke him in the gray pre-dawn of yet another day. Sighing softly, the aging body forced itself to get out of bed.

Moving over to his wooden clothes chest, aged hands slowly opened each door, each article of clothing removed with care, and sat upon the bed. Leaning forward, his fingers gently fingered the worn and frayed material, solemn gray eyes studying them with reverence.

The tunics were a relic from his past, a symbol of the man he had once been. A long time ago.

As he methodically began to put on each layer, memories began to rush back, flooding him with a host of feelings.

22. Sheila

Oct 6, 2002
    Oh, I loved that oe. You captured the reverence of youth and age as well as the impatience of young adulthood perfectly. I loved the image of little Obi carefully putting on his tunics. Fantastic! :)

A small giggle escaped as he remembered the day he found out that the sash's official name was obi . Master Yoda had given him a stern look as he had broken into gales of laughter, before joining in. [face_laugh]

AND, I am so glad you fit this little tidbit in there, cracked me up again! :D

You will be pleased to know that I actually finished mine a few minutes ago and now I just need to go over it and polish it up. No one else could have got me moving like you did, you can put away the cattle prod again. ;)

23. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    All of y'alls posts are wonderful!!!

24. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Aw, obi_ew. That was so beautiful and original.

What a great idea, to link his name to the garment of clothing like that. Fantastic!

And Shiela....**taps foot** We're waaaaiting! :D

25. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    wonderful

26. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Isn't it amazing how such little things can have such big impact on life? I loved how you took dressing - something most of us don't think too much about - and made it such an example of how we change as we age. Great job!

And Sheila's got something? That's wonderful! Can't wait!

Shaindl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.