main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Interlude - one post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Dilettante, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    My first unprompted fic posting is an interlude in the life of a Master and his Padawan. My deepest thanks to both Mistress Renata and Jane Jinn for their helpful beta reviews. Any inconsistancies, spelling mistakes, or flagrant violations of fourth grade grammar rules that remain are mine alone.

And of course, the entire GFFA belongeth to GL not me. I'd like to claim that if it were mine there would be fewer continuity issues but I suspect I would be wrong about that. Anyone capable of changing the space-time continuum enough to let me test that theory should PM me at once.

*italics enclosed thusly indicate thoughts*

italics alone indicate emphasis

And now, without further rambling...

Interlude

The gush of air from the landing ramp hydraulics signaled to the two cloaked figures that their rest was not going to be delayed much longer. A soft sigh escaped the cowl of the taller of the two figures drawing the shadowed opening of the other?s cowl around in inquiry to face the taller figure.

?I am only tired Padawan. For a change, neither of us need to head to the healers? spire. Although, I could probably sleep even on one of their beds.? the taller figure responded to the silent inquiry.

The younger, shorter man laughed softly. ?Master, a man who can sleep on the floor of a cave while thousands of lirta spiders migrate over him can sleep anywhere. Even a healers? ward.? Concern deepened his voice as they descended the ramp, ?Are you sure you weren?t bitten??

?I?ve told you three times already, Padawan. No, I was not bitten. I am sure I would have noticed by now. Being dead has a way of making itself felt I am sure.?

?Master, you rolled over while you were covered in them. How you managed to not get bitten is beyond me.? The younger man?s earlier fear for the elder still colored his voice. But the fear was tempered now with exasperation that the older man couldn?t see how close he had come to becoming one with the Force well before his padawan would have been ready for that occurrence.

A sudden stabbing moment of clarity hit the younger man causing a brief halt in his passage across the landing bay. His master did see it. He just chose not to dwell on might-have-beens. *A pity he doesn't apply that philosophy to graduate physics exams.* With that thought, the padawan?s natural good humor returned and he moved to catch up with his master.

As they passed through the door into the hall of the Jedi temple he reminded himself that his master was correct, they were both remarkably uninjured even if they both were likely to require a great deal of meditation to fully recover their equanimity after this last mission. This time the sigh floated out from underneath the shorter man?s cowl.

?What is it Padawan?? the elder asked as they crossed the last section of the hall and paused at the lifts to the residence tower.

?I can?t decide what I want to do first; sleep for two days straight, take a shower, or get some food that won?t keep moving once I have eaten it.?

The older man chuckled tiredly and nodded his agreement. ?You shower while I find us some food and then I?ll shower while you submit your coursework. Then we can both sleep for two days straight.? After a pause he added, ?If the council will let us put off reporting in for that long.?

?Can?t the coursework wait until tomorrow?? yawned the younger man as they entered a lift.

?Not if you want to pass the class and not have to take it a third time Padawan.?

?The first time wasn?t my fault! You?d think that a being who teaches at the Jedi Temple would understand that a mission to save an entire race of humanoids might make you miss an exam.? exclaimed the younger man, his indignation rising again at the memory.

?Padawan, for the last three months you've complained daily about how much you hate this class. Do you really want to risk having to repeat it again??

?Force no, Master! You?re right. Again.?

?Of course I am. The sooner you accept that I

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    What a sweet little fic! I really liked this part:

I was enveloped in a blanket of deadly, poisonous, arachnids and my padawan counted them. I?ll be able to dine out on this for months.

And this sample of masterly wisdom made me grin, too:

The sooner you accept that I am always right, the happier you will be.

But the padawan countered nicely with the fact that 90% of his friends thought that the master would survive because he hadn't finished torturing his padawan yet!

LOL! Yes, laughter can definitely be a healing release. Sounds like this master-padawan pair have gotten a good dose of it during this interlude between missions. Wonder what they're like together when things are really dangerous, though.

Thanks for posting! :)

3. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    ?I do not provide examples of ?bizarre? behaviour.? His affronted tone was nearly the elder man?s undoing but the Force helped the elder to restrain the laughter. Barely. ?'Mysterious' behaviour is much more prestigious!?

:D I nearly died reading that. That sounds like something I'd say... and in such a nice piece!!

Very well done, Knight_Dilettante. Thanks for posting it.

4. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Cute one post :) I liked the cheeky humour running throughout. Made for a good, amusing read ^_^

5. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Great post! Very well written. I love the witty dialogue and the obvious cameraderie between master and padawan. The reference to Dex's Diner was cool too.

6. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    I am pleased to find not only have people read but they have enjoyed as well. I am glad.

Jane Sounds like this master-padawan pair have gotten a good dose of it during this interlude between missions. You know that giddy feeling right after you didn't die (or get hurt) from doing something dangerous or stupid or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time? (If not you've never had to drive on our freeways.) That one that can make us just a bit silly maybe?

Wonder what they're like together when things are really dangerous, though. It just so happens I am working on the tale of the mission they have just returned from. So you will probably get a chance to see... Once I get over a plot problem or two.

Ty-gon I nearly died reading that. That's good. You were supposed to. :D That sounds like something I'd say... and in such a nice piece!! [face_blush] Thanks, I'm so glad it sounds like something you'd say. It means I got it right.

Ginger Glad you enjoyed it. Love your sig line.

Reihla Thanks! I've always wanted someone to tell me I write witty dialog. ;) One of life's goals accomplished at last.

KD

7. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Oh wow. I'm really glad I clicked on this one. From the title, I did not realize I'd be reading such a tour de force (sorry, couldn't resist pun). I **loved** Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's chemistry here. This was just such an absolute pleasure to read. I really, really hope you contribute something again soon. Please?

Thanks for sharing this.

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I absolutely loved this. I was reading it at work and was laughing with the whole scenerio. It was sweet and funny and I loved the interaction between the two. I can just picture them laughing and teasing each other in perfect comfort. What a terrific relationship they have!

Great job. Hope to see more of these two!

9. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Lurkalidth Thank you for your kind words. It's interesting that you are the first to comment on it as a Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan piece. I was wondering how many folks would since I named no names. I think in some ways they could be anyone but as it was inspired by the comaraderie that I saw between them in TPM and the type of sense of humor that it showed for both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon (well, to me anyway, an awful lot of people don't seem to have seen Qui-Gon as having a sense of humor) I have to confess I was mostly picturing those two. And they seem to have assumed that the story of the mission referred to is in fact about them so I guess this is too.

Dianethx I am very honored that you liked the piece and the relationship between the master and his padawan. I really wanted to show a basically functional relationship as opposed to the rash of dysfunctional ones I was seeing just before I wrote this. Which I guess means, that calling this an "unprompted" ficlet is probably not accurate. As for more of these two, I am working on the story of the mission from which they have just returned. I just have this one tiny "Gaping, she means gaping" Obi-Wan interjects plot hole "And there's more than one" Qui-Gon mutters to get over.

KD

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I also thought it seemed very much like an Obi/Qui ficlet but since there were no descriptions linking the pair with this pair, I couldn't be sure.

And, I do think Qui-Gon has a sense of humor! Obi-Wan's wit would have been squelched over the years otherwise and their give-and-take in TPM shows a love of dry wit and subtle humor in both of them!

Glad to hear that you are writing more...even with gaping holes in plot! Be sure to let us know!

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, I agree, dianethx; their humor is not broad, it is subtle and consequently difficult to capture! But you have really pulled it off, KD! They seem very human and real. Loved it!

How many bunnies do we have to send you to fill that plot hole? ;)

12. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm right there with everyone else - you did a great job capturing their love and respect for one another. Something that I don't think others have commented on was the real fear that was there for Obi-Wan at the thought of losing Qui-Gon which I thought was a good touch. Great blending of emotions - and you did humour really well which can often be difficult to capture (especially since, like Diane said, theirs is so subtle and dry).

Great job - and I look forward to your longer piece very much!

Shaindl

13. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Hey Renata's back! (Well, ok I knew that already but you found your way here. Cool!) Glad you liked it. How many bunnies do we have to send you to fill that plot hole? I dunno. Are we filling it in with their little bodies or just papering over it with the skins. (No I'm not really that mean.) Actually, I got somewhere with one of them. And then the @$#^#$&*^#^%^ computer ate my homework again. So I'm off to undelete stuff. And then I need to either limit fic-work to one computer or get a heck of a lot better organized. I really do have f-ADD or something. I have all these ideas and they all scream to be worked on and the voices in my head are driving me insane. Oh wait - that's not me - that's one of the characters in one of the fics. I hope.

Thanks Shaindl for your kind words. I hope the above doesn't frighten you off. I seem to be slightly manic today and I have no idea why. Unless it is writing withdrawal. When I lose stuff I tend to get all weird about writing for a while. Although this time it could mostly just be because I can't remember where I got to.

KD

14. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    "It's not the voice in my head that bother me. It's the voices coming from yours." :D

15. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    If this vignette isn't about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, it should be! This sounds exactly the way I would picture their behavior and personal interplay.

I love the little bits of humor in this. For example: ?The first time wasn?t my fault! You?d think that a being who teaches at the Jedi Temple would understand that a mission to save an entire race of humanoids might make you miss an exam.? exclaimed the younger man, his indignation rising again at the memory. Boy, if that doesn't sound like being back in school! [face_laugh]

"Uh, Master, I just remembered. I called in while you were missing, and thinking we were going to be stuck there for a while, I asked Master Windu if he'd clean out the 'experiments' before they could walk out on their own." Oh, sure, now he decides to be responsible!

And thank you for a glimpse of a reasonable, enjoyable relationship between these two characters. I really wanted to show a basically functional relationship as opposed to the rash of dysfunctional ones I was seeing just before I wrote this. I agree, some of fanfic dealing with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan makes me cringe. This one was great!

16. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    That was just perfect [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.