main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Remembrance Night: A Winter Holiday Challenge fic (Obi/Ani/Old Friends)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Dilettante, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    The candle in the window could be seen in the distance, a beacon of warmth and welcome to the weary travelers. Obi-Wan pulled his cloak more tightly around the young boy he carried and jiggled the arm taking most of Anakin's weight. "Look, Padawan, there is shelter ahead. We will be warm again soon."

"I'm n-n-not c-c-c-old, Master," the sleepy voice answered.

The laugh rumbled in Obi-Wan's chest. "Of course you're not. You're just chattering your teeth like that to keep the rhythm."

"Sing another one?"

"Very well, Padawan." There was a pause and then Obi-Wan's clear voice took up a more sedate tune.

My child, my child
    we gift you to a life
    difficult and hard
    one filled with strife
    and pain
    spiritual reward
    and light

Obi-Wan sang softly. Partly to conserve his breath, and partly to avoid attracting the notice of any predators that might be in these sparse woods. A predator would have a hard time attacking them without warning in this section where the trees were much further apart but the large feline that had sprung at them the night before was still prowling in the back of Obi-Wan's memory.

Mother, father
    I gift you the knowledge
    to comfort your loss
    'tis both my pledge
    and joy
    to serve without reward
    the light

Obi-Wan's voice dying out on the last note roused Anakin again and peering through his frosted lashes he saw the cabin with its welcoming glow shining through the gathering dusk. It lay partway up a hill. The path to the door was steep. His Master was tired and should not have to carry him up the hill after carrying him for so long. It was not as though his master had avoided injury the previous night. Anakin wiggled carefully so as not to produce any involuntary gasps of pain that would give him away.

"Let me down, Master. I can walk the rest of the way."

"I don't want you to hurt yourself, Ani. Or get too cold."

"I won't. It's not far and we'll get into the warm faster if you aren't slowed by carrying me."

"Very well, Padawan, but make sure to tell me if you are cold or hurting."

"Yes, Master."

Anakin shivered as his Master's cloak was opened to let him down and Obi-Wan started to pull it back around him but a small hand caught the larger one. "No, it's alright, Master. It's just the difference. I'll be fine when I'm walking," the boy said wiggling his way out of his Master's hold.

The cold bit against Obi-Wan's chest where the boy had been snuggled and he felt a surprising sense of loss. To hide it he said heartily, "Let's see if the occupant will be generous enough to give us shelter for the night, Padawan." Padawan. It still feels wrong to call someone else that instead of responding to it. How long will it be before life goes back to normal... It will never be normal again. The bark of laughter was visible in the cold air. My life... our life... was never normal. The laugh had been short and the boy beside him did not look up. The path narrowed and Obi-Wan gestured his padawan ahead of him. The small figure headed up the hill and the following master was grateful to the wind for coming now from behind them so that he could shield Anakin's small frame from the wind with his own, larger body even if the cold still permeated from all directions.

A memory flashed behind Obi-Wan's slitted eyes, as vivid as if he were reliving it.
    The healer, laughing at him gently, or rather at his worry that Anakin was small for his age. Embarrassing Ani and reasuring Obi-Wan in the same breath. "Yes, the years as a slave have had an effect. But look at the size of those feet. Padawans, like puppies, eventually grow into their feet. He'll top us both before he's done. Just like your master before him.
    Obi-Wan wiped the starting tears from his eyes and refused to consider if they were really due to the cold air. The wind whipped his hair forward into his eyes and once again he wished it were long enough to tie back. As a padawan he had wondered at his mast

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely, so far. I really liked the last part about Qui-Gon saving the candles as well as the Padawan and the story about Remembrance Night. And Anakin's musings about how he doesn't fit in are spot on!
    All around good job. When's the next post? Soon I hope!!!

3. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Hi Dianethx so nice to see a reader! Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Soon I hope!!! Yeah, nothing like waiting until the last minute eh? I think I should have a second post up earlish (Pacific time US) tonight and the final one tomorrow morning. Assuming work doesn't completely suck out my soul. Or more importantly, all my time between now and noismaker minute on the 31st.

I was trying to get it all written before I started posting but Anakin kept dithering until I started posting and then all of a sudden sorted himself out this morning. So as soon as I get a chance to actually write (I can check boards between troubleshooting tests but I can't really write...), we're golden. (I hope...)

KD

4. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wow, K_D. [face_shocked] That was amazing. You really communicated well the chill of their journey and the inner dialogue of both Obi-Wan and Anakin. They're both nicely in character and I loved the little snippets of humor thrown in too. :) Great so far. Can't wait for the rest! :D

5. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    This story is alot like that story called The Candles In The Windows, but i love it just the same, looking forward to more! :D

Obiwan and Anakin are so great together in here! :D

6. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    OOOOOO WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! OBI/ANI MUSH!!!!!!! SORTA!!!!! EXPECT ME TO STAY HERE!!!!!!!!

7. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    They're both nicely in character Whew! LuvEwan you have no idea how much that bit of feedback means. This is my first attempt to really write Anakin. This one really is pushing a lot of my comfort zones.

Welcome Jenny and Diamond. Thanks for reading.

Jenny, I have not read any of the holiday fics yet but I did wonder about that one for some reason. I'm planning on having a nice little reading orgy when I finally finish this story (which I will have to do in alarmingly less than 24 hours but first I simply have to get some sleep - I keep dozing off and continuing to type and if you think Yoda sounds confusing you should see what I can get coming out of Ani's or Obi-Wan's mouth while sleep-typing).

Diamond, I don't know if you will consider there to be much mush in this post but I am pretty sure there will be some in the last post. I'm afraid there will be mush all around actually.

Anyway, here we go...

The soup had begun simmering quietly while Obi-Wan had been speaking. Now it demanded a move to a different spot on the stove or it would boil. Wrapping his tunic sleeve over the handle Obi-Wan pulled the pot back a bit to a cooler part of the stove. After assuring himself that the pot would continue simmering but neither boil nor cool too much, Obi-Wan sat down next to Anakin to clean the wound on the boy's lower thigh. After he had cared for his padawan's wound and fed the boy he would worry about those on his own arm and side. As he worked to clean the boy's leg, to distract his padawan, and himself, from the pain his task caused them both, he continued his explanation.

"Traditionally, on the Remembrance Night of their first year together, a Padawan and Master exchange gifts, small things of course, in memory of the exchanges between the Order and the child's parents that took place when a child was dedicated to the temple in those early times. Then, a child immediately became a padawan, it took quite a while for the order to grow enough that children could be initiates first and the Padawan/Master relationship became more like it is today."

Anakin's thoughts leaped over the idea of children becoming padawans at once to return to the earlier statement that had caught his attention sharply and he spoke his alarm aloud. "I'm supposed to have a gift for you? I didn't know that, Master. I am so sorry. I-"

"Hush, Ani. It is my fault for not telling you. I made the mistake of assuming that one of the tutors who is working with you would have told you all about Remembrance Night. I am sorry to miss some of your training because I am still required to assist the council studying the Sith Lord's belongings from Naboo." Obi-Wan rested his hand on Anakin's shoulder to make it clear that no blame fell on Anakin, "We can do the gift exchange next year... Although, I did manage to save your gift from the wreakage as it was in my belt the whole time." Obi-Wan squeezed the boy's shoulder in reassurance and tried to lighten his spirits. "Next year I will make sure the candles are as well."

Anakin laughed with Obi-Wan and let his master think he was not worried about the gift. But he kept thinking about it all during the time they sipped their soup from two more of the earthenware mugs. He felt sure he could think of something. If only they were at the Temple. I could carve him a... well, something... If I were at the Temple, or even just had one of the woodshop knives here. Ani let his subconscious work on the problem for a while, and tried to drink his soup without burning his mouth.

After they had cleaned the mugs, which Ani was allowed to help with, and the cooking pot, which he wasn't, Ani tried to help his master make a bed for him out of their cloaks on the floor close enough to the stove to be warm but not too close. He knew Master Obi-Wan had gotten scratched by that huge cat too. A nasty gash on the arm and another one, though not so bad, on the ribs. And he had not yet checked his own injuries.

Ani wanted to relieve Master Obi-Wan of some of the

8. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I thought it was just right and so loving. Ani worrying about no gift and Obi-Wan worrying about being a good master. I really liked the history lesson (sad but logical). Good job on that.
    Obi-Wan should, however, listen more closely. Qui-Gon may be trying to tell him something.

Loved the comment about taking a year or so to write usually...LOL.

9. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, a lovely fic! I really liked the songs, too; they seemed so Jedi-like.

And I liked the insight into Anakin thinking that he had to be the strongest Jedi ever, to make up for Obi-Wan losing Qui-Gon, and also because of being the Chosen One, chosen to do something so hard that a normal Jedi couldn't do it. I never thought of it that way before -- excellent!

I'm more familiar with Obi-Wan's determination to be the perfect master, and the way he doesn't always know when to push and when to let go. :)

The occupant of the cabin has left and is walking towards a blue form in the woods? Would that blue form be a blue Force ghost, perhaps even Qui-Gon? Is that what caused the faint sense of welcome that Obi-Wan feels?

Loved the phrase "In for the ante, in for the sabacc!" Wonderfully Star-Warsian.

Master Yoda's love child! Now that is really preposterous! But it's very probable that the other initiates and padawans are shy around Anakin. They've grown up together, knowing that any strangers who came in would be only babies, and now here's this nine-year-old boy ... very strange and unsettling.

Good idea for a holiday -- Remembrance Night. I liked the way that the candles symbolized the light that the Jedi bring into the galaxy. Light into dark places and dark times -- very true! :)

Excellent idea, to have Anakin feeling unused to having strange adults looking out for him, and his instinctive reaction of You're not buying me away from my Mom! :)

I also liked this: Anakin's "Yes, Master" was a model of docility that Obi-Wan had already learned to be suspicious of .. Yes, every parent learns to be suspicious of suddenly acquiescent children!

Interesting history of the Jedi Order, the way that all the first Jedi thought they were alone, and how they all met up on Coruscant, thanks to the influence of the Force. I also liked the way that the first families sacrificed so much to bring their Force-sensitive children away from certain death to join the Jedi. Good idea to have one of those children return to the home planet and save the very people that had threatened him earlier! :)

The Force led me into that thicket, Padawan. The Force often leads us into thickets. If we are lucky we find some berries while we're inside. When it happens to you, Padawan, make sure to enjoy the berries. Ah, the wisdom of Qui-Gon! And very true, too, even in the lives of us who aren't Jedi.

I liked the way Obi-Wan thought he heard Qui-Gon speaking to him. This only reinforces my belief that the blue form in the woods is Qui-Gon ... though I still don't have a clue as to who the occupant of the cabin could be.

A delightful story! I'm looking forward to seeing how it continues. :)

10. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    This is good! Is there any more?

I like your idea of Remembrance Night. I think that should be an official SW holiday, but that's my opinion. I didn't mind the "history lesson"--how else is the story told to Anakin?

11. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Aww, Ani's worrying about a gift and Obi's worrying about being a good master! So sweet!

12. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    OK, I've got guests for New Year's arriving so I gotta post and get to my party. I will reply properly to everyone later.

Here is more. And also the end. Sorry about the formatting. I'm out of time for fixing it.

EDIT: Finally fixed the messed up formatting and typos.

Obi-Wan was nonplussed that his first attempt to wake his padawan had been successful. He had considered not bothering the boy but knew that Ani would feel he had not been trusted with the task. So, Obi-Wan had reached out with the gentlest of nudges to the boy's shoulder thinking that if Ani did not wake then it would be easy enough to sit out another hour or two and let the boy sleep. But the boy did wake.

Anakin woke from the gentle nudge to his shoulder very quickly considering how tired he had been. He knew it was because he was anxious to find a stone to make Master Obi-Wan's worry rune and get started on recalibrating his lightsaber beam. His dreams, chaotic though they had been, had in fact given him the answer for that problem as well. It would have to be a slightly larger than normal worry rune even so. There was only so much fine detail work you could do with a lightsaber no matter how much you tinkered with the blade. But I can make him a new one of a more normal size when we get back to the Temple. I hope he'll think that's ok.

"Are you alright, Padawan?" Obi-Wan was surprised to see his padawan so eager to wake up in the middle of the night. This was certainly not normal behavior for his padawan. It wasn't normal behavior for any padawan.

"Yes, Master. I'm fine. Will you show me how to manage the flame? And then you can rest."

Obi-Wan demonstrated how to slow the flame without putting it out and helped Anakin try a couple of times until he was fairly sure the boy had gotten it. "If you make sure to meditate as you guide the flame you should not have a problem. Wake me if you need to rest or if you cannot manage it. The candle flames are a ritual expression of our duty to bring light, warmth and peace to the Galaxy as well as a way to honor those who have gone before. We do not want them to go out." Obi-Wan still felt a bit restless. "I'm going to go for a short stroll around the cabin before I lie down, Padawan but I will not be long and I will not go out of earshot. Make sure to leave our candles on the table so that the light is still visible in the window in case the owner of this cabin was planning on using it to find their own way home."

Anakin's "Yes, Master" was distracted and Obi-Wan almost stopped to question his padawan further. But as he wanted his short walk to stretch out his stiff joints and sore muscles, he gathered up his cloak and headed out the door.

The moonlight was bright, and as he walked Obi-Wan wondered if it was a trick of the moonlight that the hills, mountains and trees he saw looked familiar, as if he had seen them from this angle before. The moonlight glinted off an axe embedded in a chopping block. Good. We can at least replenish the firewood before we leave. I wonder what happened to the owner of the cabin. You don't leave a fire burning unless you expect to be back... or expect visitors. The thought, which could have been alarming, for some reason was not, so Obi-Wan finished a complete trip around the small cabin before entering it again.

Anakin had emptied the contents of his belt pouches on the table and was hunting through it for things he could use to adjust the lightsaber blade to a small enough point to carve the worry stone. He had seen rocks that would do when they had climbed the last part of the hill. He just needed to wait for Master Obi-Wan to fall asleep and he could go out and get one.

Obi-Wan noticed the disarray of course but said nothing. Anakin was always fiddling with something. At least here there was no technology for his padawan to 'adjust' thereby causing problems. The Ambassador still referred to Anakin's exuberant fiddling when he came to call on the Jedi. Picking Anakin's cloak up off the floor he draped it o

13. Geezerette50

Geezerette50 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2003
    Oh, this is very nice. Wonderful presentation of the gift theme, and light from the candles was a prominent plot device. Your remembrance concept was quite unique as well. And if this is not an excellent representation of SW, then I don't know what is. After all, what is SW all about if not the Jedi?

Super job.

Sue

14. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    I meant to be all "woo hoo this is my 200th post" (hey, some of us have to celebrate the small milestones, the big ones may never get here) when I posted that last story bit. But in my haste I forgot. So consider it woohoo-ed.

And now the promised replies and then I gotta get some sleep. I have to go to work tomorrow...

Loved the comment about taking a year or so to write usually...LOL In the interests of full disclosure: I usually write things in alarming bursts of creativity that are often limited only by the amount of free time I have or how long I can stay awake. I then carefully age them. Only when they have aged sufficiently do I feel confident that I am as objective as I can be about it and I start tinkering. So this time of course, all bets are off. I can already see, from rereading now, places where (beyond typos and formatting oddities) I needed to spend more time cleaning up and refining. Particularly in this last post which didn't even get read through properly due to my having invited guests for New Years Eve.

Hello Jane - I'm so glad to see you. And what a lovely lot of feedback! I hope the final post answers at least some of your questions. I will answer the ones I think might still be less than clear. And the ones I want to babble about regardless...

But it's very probable that the other initiates and padawans are shy around Anakin. They've grown up together, knowing that any strangers who came in would be only babies, and now here's this nine-year-old boy ... very strange and unsettling. Yes, exactly. I think they would find it odd and would be very uncomfortable around him. He would not know things that even the youngest should so he would be uncomfortable too. And they would all, even Anakin, end up more standoffish than they really are. Without a very large initiate population, in more than one Temple, there would eventually be rumors about who he was. I suspect the most common would be that he had been accepted into the order as a baby just like all the others but that something had happened and he had either been taken - kidnapped would probably be one theory - or perhaps had had a medical issue that had taken him out of the Temple. Once it became apparent that he had been chosen as a padawan without ever being an initiate there would be a lot of speculation as to why. The most common theory would perhaps be that he was the Chancellor's (or other highly placed politico's) child. Another one that might appeal is that he was the heir to a kingdom that had to have another child before they could let their Force user child go to the Jedi. The most ridiculous rumors would be that he was the child of a Jedi. And of course Anakin who was used to having friends around and who would likely find it very difficult to make friends would end up retreating further I think.

his instinctive reaction of You're not buying me away from my Mom! I ought to credit Mistress Renata for that line in a way. It was inspired by something in a film called "Race to Freedom" which I rented partly because of her "To Skin a Gundark" story (but mostly as research for a story cycle I am still working on).

though I still don't have a clue as to who the occupant of the cabin could be And you may not be that much further forward now that the tale is done. The cabin belongs to Seer Lina who Obi-Wan will meet in a story I have yet to finish (The Mountains of Lir are Lovely In The Spring) let alone get beta'd but which I hope to get up on the boards in the first month or two of this new year. She becomes a good friend to both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in that story although her existence was ephemeral until I started writing Remembrance Night.

Hello Laine, welcome and thanks for the kind words. how else is the story told to Anakin? Well, a normal padawan would have first heard the story as a tale told to the babies in the creche, and repeated to the initiates too young to read themselves. It would have been told by a storyteller. It would have had a great deal more mystery and romance (not

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved your last post. It was wonderful that Qui-Gon was able to visit with Obi-Wan and give him some much needed advice and warmth - too bad Obi-Wan didn't remember it (maybe in his dreams, he will?). Loved that Anakin's gift was both wanted and a lesson that he had to learn. Obi-Wan's replies to Anakin's questions and worries were wonderfully done. Really liked that Anakin thought the overnight cabin experience was the good news - quite sweet!

All in all, a very lovely story. Good job!

16. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Dianethx Thanks for the added feedback. [face_blush] I'm glad you liked the last post. I find that such a relief. I woke up in the middle of the night after posting that last section terrified that I had left in things like ???? instead of south (I couldn't remember what the right direction was at first and I'm still not sure I got it right...) and so on.

Or worse, the random notes on what was supposed to happen.

I do see a word that was supposed to be erased when I changed a sentence a bit that is bothering me so much I will have to ask Mistress Renata if I am allowed to clean that up along with the formatting now or if I have to wait until some decision is made or something.

KD

17. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Sorry about the delay in responding. I just get so busy sometimes.

I had to laugh at Obi-Wan thinking that there was no technology here for Anakin to 'adjust.' Little does he know! The line about the Ambassador was funny, too.

Good idea to have the Jedi be able to control the candles burning.

Poor Obi-Wan. Good question, though, as to why the Force hadn't arranged for Anakin to be picked up earlier in his life.

Qui-Gon! I knew it! Nice of him to stop by and give Obi-Wan some advice. I liked the way he emphasized trust between Obi-Wan and Anakin, and the way that they could be a formidable team.

I also liked the way that the candles must never go out, not as long as there is even one Jedi in the galaxy. Nice that Anakin was tempted to put one out and let the other one burn down, and good that he resisted. I liked the way that Qui-Gon came in and helped with the candles. The whole thing made me think of Obi-Wan and Yoda in hiding during the time of the Empire ... frozen in place until the dawn.

A worry rune! Exactly the right present for Obi-Wan. I'll bet he'll need a new one about every month, with a padawan like Anakin.

What a delightful story! A joy to read, really. I'll be looking forward to any new stories of yours, especially the one introducing this Seer Lina. :)

18. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Jane I'm honored you enjoyed it. And I am working hard on The Mountains of Lir are Lovely in the Spring which is where Obi-Wan meets Seer Lina and visits her retreat. I hope to be posting by mid-February.

I'll bet he'll need a new one about every month, with a padawan like Anakin.

I'm quite sure that that is exactly what Obi-Wan was thinking. I figure that by the time of AotC, and Anakin leaping out of the cloud car (with Obi's evocative "I hate it when he does that.") Obi-Wan had taken to popping Tums(tm) like kids do candy corn at Halloween. He was probably up to a worry rune a week, if not more, by then. Or else Ani was carving them out of granite bits with lines half the thickness of the stone itself.

KD

19. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Well done, KD. A sweet little Ani-Obi story, guest-starring Qui-Gon. I really liked the concept of Remembrance Night, and the insight into each of the characters. So similar and yet so different.

Well crafted, and solid characterisations, encapsulated in a very good little story. Thanks!

*Derisa*

20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I?m not an Anakin fan, but I liked the portrayal here, and the characterization seems excellent! I liked the details, like the soup nearly burning Anakin?s mouth, and Obi-Wan trying to follow up to learn more about Darth Maul. A very plausible explanation about the founding of the Order. Obi-Wan seems to be fated to get rocks as gifts, doesn?t he?

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved this interaction between our favorite master/padawan, the spot-on characterizations.

22. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, I finally cleaned up the typos and formatting for this little story.

I want to thank all the reviewers for their comments. I am unbelieveably pleased to see people liked the characterizations, particularly Anakin's as this was my first attempt to write Anakin.

So thank you all for the lovely feedback. I am glad you enjoyed reading.

KD

23. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    That was a really sweet story. I enjoyed reading it quite a bit. Poor Obi doesn't know how much he's really going to need that worry rune.

24. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Why thank you Opal, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Poor Obi doesn't know how much he's really going to need that worry rune. I wouldn't be surprised if Obi-Wan were beginning to see that it might be more than he might have originally thought.

KD

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    The healer, laughing at him gently, or rather at his worry that Anakin was small for his age. Embarrassing Ani and reasuring Obi-Wan in the same breath. "Yes, the years as a slave have had an effect. But look at the size of those feet. Padawans, like puppies, eventually grow into their feet. He'll top us both before he's done. Just like your master before him.

I loved this story, it was so sweet, but this was my favorite line. Perhaps because I have a 14 year old son who stands 6'1"? And yes, he still has some growing to do to catch up with his feet, LOL!

Truly a sweet and well written story. Glad I found it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.