main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ultra stressed Jedi Students.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Lalika, Aug 15, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lalika

Lalika Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 1999
    I put posting this thread off until everyone is present.....And it seems as if we are ready.

If this new foundation, or 'branch', is to work we will need rules and roles. Rules to make sure that this place is run smoothly and efficiently, and roles to help us enhance our stay here.

Therefore I put this thread forward to everyone here. This way each member can contribute to how and why this should be run.

I have made a start and here are what i have come up with:

RULES
    - Rules of the normal forum (maybe a bit more lax though)
    - No *****ing about other members just because they can't read us
    - All stupidity should be kept to a minimum (well as low as we can get )
    - No posting in caps lock (one forum, just ONE, should be able to escape this)

ROLES
    - To help the council run more smoothly
    - The four members used as representitives for the rest of the forum
    - Discuss and create new rules, or 'legislation' as it probably should be called.
    - More imput from us 'common folk'
    - Point out glitches/ forum problems
    - Use our (the 'advisors') contact with the rest of the forum and put forward problems and possible answers.
    - Point out troublemakers (?)
    - Put forward new ideas

These are just a few of the things i think need to be discussed so we can get this thing rolling. Feel free to add and/or discuss

I don't know which thread this really is, but to save it from the possible cullings, up!

2. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    - No *****ing about other members just because they can't read us. Ummm... no. Even you can't resist talking about one certain member.

3. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Yeah, where do you draw the line between notifying us about a troublemaker and *****ing about another member? On the contrary, I think this would be a good place to vent our frustrations about other members that drive us nuts, but maybe we should set aside a "vent" thread for that purpose. It could be very therapeutic!

4. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    On that note, Admiral needs to **** off and act like an adult!

5. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    That felt so... good.

6. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Otherwise, I like your suggestions, overall. I think of this place serving two functions: A meeting place where we can discuss issues and proposed changes, etc., and something like a "teachers' lounge" where the people in authority can get away from the "kids" and relax and be ourselves. Hey, this is the adult place. We can discipline ourselves, and probably don't need a lot of extra rules.

7. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Face it, we're never going to stop PB from *****ing about Admiral Mac.

8. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    You have to admit that guy is an ass-hole.

9. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Actually little Mackie doesn't bother me that much......SoaH (or, as i have dubbed him, 'hoover') and ModalNodesFreak are the only people who annoy me a bit.

Anyway back to the topic.....

10. Paradox

Paradox Moderator Emeritus star 1 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 2, 1998
    I really like this basic idea, but I have a nagging feeling that we're going to run into many of the limitations posed by the possibility of a Senior Members forum. Here's a few that popped into my head...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>How are the advisors chosen?
    <LI>What "special privileges" are they given?
    <LI>And how will other members react to that?
    <LI>Will the members fear that information is being filtered through the Council?
    <LI>If the general population comes to dislike the Council, what will they do?</UL>

If we can overcome the basic problems, this holds the potential for vastly simplifying our jobs as administrators. In any case, we'll have to do what's best for JCN.

11. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Boy Scout.

12. Paul

Paul Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2000
    I do think that we need some guidelines for what it is we non-admins are supposed to do. Hell, I feel like a "Junior Member" in here.

Admiral Mac: Arrogant. I don't think that he gets the attention he thinks he so richly deserves in Real Life, so he seeks it here.

Xanatoes is Fey'yla or however they spell it.

I also think people should be banned for typing their subject in ALL CAPS. It annoys the hell out of me.

I feel like Larry King with all these short snippets

End Venting

13. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    very nice points Stinrab. Except for the stupidity one. You know I can't help being stupid... The rules do sound good to me though.

14. Paul

Paul Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2000
    Paradox, I don't think that there will be any trouble from the general population if they don't know about us.

As I understand it, this is more or less a brainstorming type deal where admins and non-admins alike bounce ideas off each other.

15. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Paradox, I think I can address your points:

How are the advisors chosen?

All of the advisors have been chosen, as far as I'm concerned.

What "special privileges" are they given?

Other than the fact that they can post here, none.

And how will other members react to that?

Will the members fear that information is being filtered through the Council?

If the general population comes to dislike the Council, what will they do?

The other members won't know about it.

See? No problems.

[This message has been edited by jasman (edited 08-15-1999).]

16. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    I agree with Paul. The idea is to have some respected members to bounce ideas off of. For instance, about making changes to the forums. Adding new forums. Creating archives. Which threads should be moved to archives. Or any number of things that come up. This is a private place where we can discuss things before making a decision that will affect the membership. Having a few non-admins here will give us insight into how changes will affect the members.

17. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    I like the idea of having a 'venting' thread to combat our problems. We could post all the problems with forums, glitches, members, events and threads we (and others) are having. Might be a worthwhile one

18. Paradox

Paradox Moderator Emeritus star 1 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 2, 1998
    Ah... this is where that vacation last week comes back to get me.

I didn't realize that this would all be done without the knowledge of everybody else. If that's the case, then I have no objections.

However, there is one more thing that's nagging at me... all that any random stranger would have to do to find us would be to change the forum number to 10, and they'd stumble onto our little parade. I know that I've done things like that just for the heck of it before (like checking the source code of the official site to see if LFL had hidden any secrets from us). Put simply, I'm not entirely secure that this forum is entirely secure.

19. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    I think most of the people who are smart enough to do that are already here!

20. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    If, by some bizarre chance, an 'outside' member finds this place and alerts the rest of the forum their posts will probably be immediately deleted anyway... maybe a warning should be posted at the top of the page that users who don't belong here and alert the rest of the forum will be dealt with severely......that should scare 'em quiet

Besides we can always 'move' again IMO, this forum will be safe from other users for at least 6 months

[This message has been edited by stinrab (edited 08-15-1999).]

21. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Or, at least until we add another forum. Someone is sure to notice that the numbers jump from 9 to 11. Unless there is some way to add a new forum, then trade numbers, making the new one #10 and this one #11.

22. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    I thought this forum was made so that in order for you to see it you had to be "authorized" by an admin. Perhaps I'm wrong...

23. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    You don't need to be authorized to see it, you only need to be authorized to post in it, unless you know the password.

Oh, and like I said jasman, I think the only way would be to make the new forum closed, then move the threads from this one over there, then open this one, and change the title to the title desired for the new forum. I'm not certain that's the only way, but I'd bet my bippy it is.

Since I got carried away talking about Duct Tape in Suggestions, and you guys decided I shouldn't say it in there, I'll go ahead and refrain (mostly) from saying it in here.

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 08-15-1999).]

24. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Thank you, Jay. We appreciate it.

25. Lalika

Lalika Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 1999
    Hi there. This is an add on thread welcoming all ultra stressed students. Integrate your real life school frustrations in a Starwars setting and add on. Your stories can be individual or joined up to form a main streamed one. Hee hee? Here?s mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

? Nooooooo?.? Lalika was on the verge of pulling her hair out. She tugged at her padawan braid in frustration then switched to pulling at her ponytail. ? Stupid sums,? she yelled, picking up her data pad and shaking it violently. She contemplated throwing it across the room but then decided that it would only get her into trouble. She placed the data pad on the table and flung herself onto the bed instead. Her mind drifted to the mission her master and her had just finished.

The door buzzer sounded, startling her out of her revere. ? Come in,? she shouted. The door slid open to reveal her friend. ? Lalika?? she looked at Lalika, slightly puzzled by Lalika?s new hairstyle.? Did you get a perm?? Lalika patted her hair frantically, trying to put it back in its original shape.

? Nah, I got a couple of sums done,? Lalika waved at her messy desk.

Her friend gave a *******, utterly bemused. ? Anyway, I just stopped by to tell you that some padawans have been selected for a trail programme in a normal civilian school?.?

Lalika had started to retie her ponytail but she let her hands fall down as she took in the news. ? A normal civilian school?? she repeated, her mouth falling open.

Her friend shrugged. ? Some new brain wave Master Yoda came up with.? She mimicked his way of talking. ? All rounded, our students must be. Interact with the general population they must. ? She waved a list at Lalika. ? Here?s the list of padawans that have been chosen to take part. Our names are up there. Apparently we have to go to a normal high school or college or whatever for a term or two or something.?

Lalika grabbed the list and scanned through the names. ? Oh my force!? she said. ? Could we back out? I mean, I can barely finish the work my master gives me. And I suck terribly at the normal curriculum.? She picked up her data pad and showed it to her friend. ? I mean, what?s the reason for learning these stuff. I don?t need to know Further Maths and Advanced Physics to wave my little lightsaber around. Good god, a normal school! I?ll probably yank all my hair out!?

? That?s not the worst part.?
    ? What is??
    ? We?re not allowed to reveal our identity or use the force. We?ll just be normal people.?
    ? No lightsabers??
    ? No lightsabers.?

~~~~~~~~~~`
    I know this is kinda dumb but well, let?s see if it works out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.