main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Rivalry Renewed* 9/22*FINAL POST** STORY COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ewen, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    TITLE: "A Rivalry Renewed"

Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin(same age, both *almost* 18), Quinlan Vos, Xanatos Crion

time period: JA

Synopsis: Obi-Wan and his master return to the temple after almost five years away on missions trumped up by Yoda while Anakin was trained by Vos and his real master, Xanatos. Last time together neither Obi-Wan or Anakin could stand the other and were rivalries for Master Jinn's attention. Will it still be that way now?????

At the bottom of this post will be the first sequel addy if you would like to read it. ?Paper, Rock, Scissors.?

#####################

Padawan Kenobi walked the expanse of the long Jedi temple hall from the landing port to the housing section for masters and apprentices.

Obi-Wan Kenobi couldn?t help but notice the stares and whispers of padawans, most of them of the female persuasion, as they watched him "swagger" down the hall. This confident good looking sleepy-eyed apprentice was not the little insecure apprentice that left the temple a little less than five years ago.

This Kenobi tried to hide his smile as some more brazen and older female apprentices tried to make eye contact with him.

He stuck his hands in his sleeves, an intentional mimic of his master in every way shape and form. He and his master, Qui-Gon Jinn had only made infrequent stops at the temple with Obi-Wan doing most of his studies via computer.

Now Yoda felt it was time to return for some highly extension studies before Obi-Wan was graduated to senior padawan on his eighteenth birthday.

Obi-Wan always suspected they were kept away from the temple because of the ?Chosen One?, Anakin Skywalker and earlier in the first of the five years, he harbored negatives thought for Anakin for their continual mission stasis. However Padawan Kenobi was past any negative feelings, any feelings really, for Anakin.

Yoda was always wiser than most Jedi masters when it came to the young and their problems. He understood that deep down behind Ani and Obi?s façade of serenity and control, indicative of all Jedi apprentices, lay children, mere children with insecurities equal or sometimes more mammoth than the everyday normal child with a real childhood.. Yoda also wisely knew old rivalries died hard and adolescent disagreements mended themselves with only time and separation. That is why Jinn and Kenobi were away so long. Qui-Gon knew it for fact, Obi-Wan only suspected it, because it was never discussed with him.

Obi-Wan smiled and shook his head as if to shake off his thoughts. He wasn?t sure if the humor in his thoughts came from the little girls following his every move with their eyes, though trying to remain unnoticed, or if the humor originated from the thought of Yoda and the contriving ways he had come up with to keep Obi-Wan and Anakin separated.

Well he can?t find a way now. I have to finish my advanced studies. Master Yoda realizes that. I am mature enough to handle anything Anakin can dish out and besides Master and I are more connected than ever with our bond and our understanding and respect for each other. I probably won?t see too much of the ?Chosen One? anyway.

Master Jinn had mentioned to Obi-Wan that Padawan Skywalker had been given a job as personal page to Senator Palpatine. Even he thought it out of the ordinary being gone from his master every day, but Master Jinn was actually angry about it. That was one thing that worried Obi deep down. His master seemed so preoccupied with Anakin?s "summer job" as Yoda referred to it. .

But hey maybe it will keep the brat out of my hair. Bant said he is like the idol in the temple. Maybe I will have a little time to mark my territory around here.

Obi-Wan stopped in front of a large pane window and looked at himself.

If you are going to keep those padawans eyeing you Kenobi, you need a shave and a hair trim, maybe even a new crisp Jedi tunic. Master said it will be another year before I ever have to shave my ?peach fus

Allyana likes this.
  2. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    Great story,can't wait for more.

3. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    Yippee! The sequel is here! I've been waiting with Jedi patience (well not really, but I did try!) Great job! I can already sense trouble brewing!

4. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Good start. :)

Obi-Wan is feeling the rivalry. Looking forward to his first meeting with Ani. Quinlan has been a friend all these years and I hope Qui-Gon stays one. [face_devil]

5. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Thanx for reading and posting!!!

I am going to try to post again later tonight.

Gus(my Doxie in case some of the new readers don't know him) and I are going to Cincinnati in the morning and I want to try and clean awhile this evening!!!!!!(not a chore high on my priority list, if there at all!!)

I will be back Monday from visiting my twin sister there.

PEACE ewen

6. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Master Jinn paced back and forth in front of his former master?s desk. Yoda would turn his head, twitch his ears, and follow with his eyes his former apprentice, Qui-Gon Jinn as he paced. Once in awhile Yoda would roll those eyes in an exaggerated way but only if Qui-Gon peered down at him.

?This is ridiculous, unheard of, and just plan out of normal procedure. Quinlan and Xanatos both here at the temple or pulling little made up missions on Coruscant while Anakin is left alone with one of the most diabolically dishonest senators seated on the republic bench.?

?Tsk tsk Padawan, unwise it is undue criticism of a senator. Some say Palpatine one day the chancellor he will be. Pass judgment on him, especially unfounded judgment on him wrong and dangerous it could be.?

Qui-Gon stopped pacing right in front of Master Yoda.

?See, see, you have proven my point right there with your statement.?

?Prove what have I young one??

Being called young one by his old master whose age was a little over eight hundred years always elicited a smile from Master Jinn, no matter what mood he was in. This time was no different.

?Alright Master Yoda, you have cracked my outer shell as you always do when you call me young one. Tell me pray tell what is you fear about the man? You see something or as I do feel something evil around him. Tell me the truth.?

?Admit to nothing I will. However, know this I do padawan mine. Here less than half hour you have been and Anakin your main concern again. Like it I do not. Mention *my* Obi-Wan not once have you. Take it I do return with him you did??

?Now who is being ridiculous? Wait? not me, you are. Of course I brought Obi-Wan home with me. What did you think I did with him? Oh I see through you. You meant to bring home a point and it was done quite obnoxiously. Yes Master, he is here at the temple and no, I don?t plan to train Anakin in favor of Obi-Wan.?

?Glad to know that I do. Throw him away you will not. Deal with me you will.?

?I thought favoritism wasn?t allowed among masters. You favor Obi-Wan over everyone maybe even me.?

?Could be right about that Qui-Gon Jinn, could be right in deed. Foresee great destiny for my grand padawan, destiny bigger maybe than the ?Chosen One?s?. Masters here flock to him. ?*See* something about him I do just as *see through* Palpatine.?

?Ah, so I am right you do have a bad feeling from the force about Palpatine. I knew it. I just knew it. I thought I felt a brush of evil from Anakin when I opened up to him, found out what he was truly like but I thought through Vos? reports to me it had greatly diminished.

?Humph?. value Vos? opinion I do. More so than I do your other padawan, Crion. Trouble though with his words, not his truthfulness. Is it greatly reduced as Quinlan says, or possibly is it covered better than he evens knows??

?What is meant by that Master? You think Anakin still harbors the dark feelings he possessed when Sidious wanted him? No, you have to be wrong. Vos wouldn?t be fooled by an appearance of good, he would know the difference.?

?Right I hope you are padawan mine. Right I hope you are.?

####################

Jinn let his finger of his right hand trace the ornately designed wall of the master/apprentice section of the temple. It was not unusual for the padawans of that section to pick designs to paint on the walls during their stay. This time while Obi-Wan and he had been away, someone had come up with the idea of elaborate drawings of an era long since gone; the Egyptians from earth. Sphinx loomed large on some sections and pyramids, desert landscapes, and even a sarcophagus of a pharaoh was painted very intricately on the what would be bland walls of white. Jinn couldn?t help but notice them throughout the hall.

Does add color and animation to these old halls. I have walked them with one apprentice or another for over twenty years and this is the best scenery painted I have ever seen.

Qui-Gon felt much the way Obi-Wan had when he found himself in front

7. Xeana

Xeana Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2003

I probably won?t see too much of the ?Chosen One? anyway.

Something tells me you're wrong, Obi-Wan. [face_mischief]

?I thought favoritism wasn?t allowed among masters. You favor Obi-Wan over everyone maybe even me.?

?Could be right about that Qui-Gon Jinn, could be right indeed."
    [face_laugh]

Vos wouldn?t be fooled by an appearance of good, he would know the difference.

I hope so, too! [face_worried]

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    QUi-GOn actually suspects Palpy? :D

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great post(s)!!! Man oh man... Obi still riled up over Anakin hehehehe and Anakin over Obi. Ahhh will it ever end? hehehe Prob not!

Ummm Yoda suspicious of Palpy.. good someone should be!! And Anakin been working for him too... uh oh! Already starting is it?

10. Altaira

Nov 11, 2002
    I like the relationship between Qui-Gon and Yoda. :) I agree with the others about Qui-Gon suspecting Palpatine. Yoda is being as elusive as always. :D

Qui-Gon sounds level headed this time. Obi?s still jealous of Anakin and it?s building, somehow I think the babe hunt is not going to go well. [face_devil] 8-} Obi-Wan is setting himself up for trouble. I am looking forward to him finding it. Serves the boy right. ;)

I can be such an instigator.
    EDIT: what I doing checking on this at this time... smack that boy!

11. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Qui-Gon stepped outside of his flat and stared down the hall. Obi-Wan left so fast that he didn?t even have time to call out to him, stop him, assure him if he had too; nothing was amiss just because Anakin stopped by for an unannounced visit.

Like magic the boy disappeared around the corner faster than was normal even for Obi to get away from home to party. Master Jinn only stepped back into the apartment when Anakin spoke and drew his attention away from the empty hallway.

?Master Jinn, please forgive me if I have interrupted something between you and your apprentice. I certainly didn?t mean to intrude.?

Qui-Gon barely glanced at the other apprentice. Yes, he did have concern over Padawan Skywalker being left in Palpatine?s tutelage alone, without his master, but it was nothing like the concern he had for his apprentice who had just hurriedly left with what Qui-Gon felt was the wrong impression of Anakin?s visit.

Ani?s visit was not preplanned, but I know Obi thinks that.

His mumblings to Anakin not to worry and come in were barely audible but Anakin paid no attention to Jinn?s overtly casual salutations to him. Padawan Ani was under a wrong assumption as well. He assumed that with a little time spent with Master Jinn he would be back in his good graces just as before.

After all, it has been five years and I know Knight Vos and my master have sent him glowing reports of me. How can he not help but become interested in my training again. He found me and I am the ?Chosen One?. Every master here thinks I am top padawan. I certainly hope Kenobi doesn?t think to come back and uproot me. He can?t, I won?t allow it. Anyway, when the other masters find out he still acts like a jealous little baby as I portrayed him as when he and Master Jinn were sent away, no one, not even the apprentices will want to have anything to do with him.

##############

Garen, one of Obi?s best friends, next to Bant, saw Obi-Wan come through the double swinging doors of the Padawan recreation area before Bant saw him. He rushed to Obi-Wan?s side. Yes of course he was anxious to see his friend but there was another reason for his haste to get to Obi-Wan and to stay glued to him all evening.

He and Bant had discussed in length before Obi-Wan?s return to the temple how they would have to break it to Obi-Wan gently about the gossip about him and his master. Padawans and their masters alike had been very cautious to keep it under wraps from the council members or at least a few of them that did not have apprentices. Masters never mentioned Obi?s situation but the apprentices did.

Anakin, along with the help of his master, Xanatos let it be assumed that the missions Obi-Wan and his master were always on to take them far away from Coruscant and the temple was because of Obi-Wan?s missteps and not Anakin?s. If Vos knew of the gossip it was never brought up or corrected.

Bant and Garen were never really sure why Obi had to be away from the temple so much but they did not believe for a moment it was Obi?s fault. Yes, they knew that Kenobi and Skywalker didn?t see eye to eye and it was because of the rivalry for Obi?s master?s attention. Bant wanted to believe with all her heart Anakin caused all the problems. Garen as well steadfastly disavowed Anakin?s claim that Kenobi was the trouble maker and had to be sent way. As time passed and the memory of Kenobi by padawans his age was eroded away, the padwans, in particular the younger generation, just out of the initiate?s ward began to believe Anakin over Bant and Garen?s rapidly failing insistence that it had to be Anakin?s fault, that he did something in some way required the two to be separated and not the other way around as Skywalker insisted it was.

However, after five years and not a bad mark on Skywalker's record, his outward friendliness to all, and his impeccable Jedi skills in all things from academic to mastering the art of defense with the saber, most chose to believe it was the apprentice to Qui-Gon Jinn who was the less than dutiful pad

12. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    edging in on Anakin's girl is dangerous enough, but she's Palpy's neice too? Well at least that explains her interest in Anakin.

13. jedimommie2

May 3, 2004
    Obi better watch his back (or I'd be glad to do it for him :D )! Great post--can't wait for the next one!

14. Altaira

Nov 11, 2002
    Obi-Wan is interested in the wrong person. Benet does have a capital ?B? in it. [face_devil] I like the smirk comment that he mistakes for a smile. It sounds like he is going to miss his curfew and on his first day back.

It won?t be so smooth for Qui-Gon to come looking for him. 8-}

15. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    IS OBI CAPBALE OF A PHYSICAL ATTACK ON FEMALE PADAWAN?

So did he do it? Will you even know after you read the next post???Sound like a post you want to read this afternoon?

Anyone interested?

I hope you will let me know you are but if not this is not a blackmail. I plan to post this afternoon whether I get anymore feedback or not!!

PEACE ewen

16. jedimommie2

May 3, 2004
    Of course I'm interested! (Tapping fingers on computer desk!) I'm waiting patiently. (Tapping foot) Very patiently!

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to the next post!

17. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    ?Are you sure Mace??

Qui-Gon had to hold the ear piece of his comm unit in his room far away from his ear. Even with that, he could hear the thunderous voice through it.

?Sure, of course I am sure. Wouldn?t I know if it is something with my apprentice. I watched him walk through our apartment door at exactly one minute before midnight. He is sound asleep as was I before you so rudely woke me up. Maybe Obi-Wan just got wrapped up in the moment. I mean he has been away a long item . Maybe his friends, other friends, meaning other than my apprentice or Bant are with him. Bant was with Garen I heard him tell her goodnight as he entered the door.?

?Alright quit being so testy and? go back to sleep.

?Testy? I will show you testy when I see you later today. I am a Jedi council member?.. I??

Jinn put the hand unit comm back on its resting place with the screeching voice of Mace Windu, Qui?s best friend going on and on about Qui-Gon early morning call.

Why on our first night here would he disobey me? I told him midnight. He knows to be punctual and he usually is. Is this some get-back-at-me-scheme because of Anakin? Well it won?t work. He is a child no longer and I don?t expect him to act like one. He should have come home and talked things over, if he had a problem with Anakin?s visit.. Yes there is no room for mistakes here at the temple and certainly not where it comes to our relationship as we have shorn it up so strongly. Now this..

Master Jinn heard the click of the door that signaled Obi-Wan?s return home. All the lights were out in the apartment and Obi hoped at first he wouldn?t be found out; that his master was sound asleep and hopefully had been that way since before midnight, the time of his curfew.

?Padawan, a little too much fun at a time when you should have been home over two hours ago. I hope you have a very good explanation for this. Not an excuse for I don?t want to hear an excuse. I want a full explanation and it had better include in it somewhere that you were virtually held hostage by an enemy for that his the only reason for you being late this evening or should I say this morning.?

The voice came from the darkened common room directly where Master Jinn?s easy chair was.

A audible groan escaped the apprentice before he had time to stop it. It was bad enough how the evening had gone after hooking up with Benet but now?. now he had to face the wrath of his master when the humiliation of the evening was still fresh in his mind.

?Is this how is to be, Obi-Wan??

Obi did not quite understand the question. He wasn?t sure if he heard it right or if all the confusion that swirled in his mind kept him from hearing it correctly. He cocked his head quizzically to the side and for the first time stared into his master sea form green eyes. Normally he found serenity and peace there a welcome sort of peace when he looked at his master right now those sea green eyes had formed a fiery waves of despair.

?What Master I am not quite sure I understand the question.?

Don?t understand a simple question. Have you been drinking Obi-Wan. Have you compound your problems by imbibing in an alcoholic beverage that I have clearly forbidden you to drink until you are twenty-one.?

?No, no, no, master please I am not drunk. If I seem confused I truly didn?t understand what you meant, ?how it is to be.? What? is how is it going the be??

?Between us? We have established what I assumed was a tight and trusting bond now I find you have instantly become derelict in your responsibilities as an apprentice my apprentice, Why Obi?

?The Jedi master?s voice had been overly harsh and loud almost to the point of shouting until he said his apprentice?s name ?Obi?. His name came out soft smooth and had a instant calming effort on the apprentice.

?Master please I am sorry. The time just got away from me. No I do not plan to make this habit of being late or of disobeying you in this or anything. I am tired and the night turned out bad. I am not a child you know. I just made a mis

18. Altaira

Nov 11, 2002
    Obi needs to stay away from girls who go to alleys. :eek: I am sure Anakin will back her story. Obi?s defense sounds like, she was asking for it... He is as naive as he is young. Vos could have taught him the ways and stay aways from questionable women. 8-}

Sorry, Ewen can?t help but get a snicker from that. Benet sounds like a friend of mine who has asks for it. [face_devil] She is a capital ?B? too.

This is not going to go well for him. Obi-Wan is behaving guilty of something and not denying anything.

19. jedimommie2

May 3, 2004
    Yippee! A post! My patience paid off! [face_laugh] Have to agree that Obi should just stay away from girls and from Anakin! Great post--can't wait for more!

20. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I wonder.

Aren't the two of you that have posted, curious as to just what Obi-Wan did, how far did he go if he got anywhere and is it what we are thinking or something else???

ewen

21. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Well said Altaira- What is thinking, following a girl into an alley!

22. Altaira

Nov 11, 2002
    Hey, it was an eyelash! [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

Yeah, I?m curious but expect it not to be as it seems. Of course, my mind goes to the assumption the others will make but I have faith in Obi-Wan. After whatever you are going to wring him through, the boy will be celibate after. :p

23. Xeana

Xeana Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2003
    I agree with Altaira; it can't be what it seems. Obi-Wan isn't that type of guy.

HOW COULD THEY ACCUSE HIM? :eek: :(

Stupid Anakin and Benet! :mad: Of course, she's Palpatine's niece so that really explains everything. Although I don't like to judge people by their relatives, this time it seems justified.

24. jedimommie2

May 3, 2004
    I'm very curious as well, but I have to agree that things are not as they seem. Please post more soon!

25. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Obi-Wan reasoned the timing of this meeting his master had been forced to drag him too, at such a late night hour or early morning; whichever way one chose to look at it, could not in any way, shape, or form champion his side of the story. The masters assembled for the impromptu tribunal proceedings all seemed groggy with sleep and their eyes peppered with redness attested to that.

Obi-Wan made a mental observation that the council masters who always had a way of inducing fear in any padawan before them, had an even more commanding presence because of their displeasure at being called to sit before an official reprimand at three thirty in the morning.

Mace tried to curb a yawn but it came out anyway and several more masters followed suit. Yoda cast them all a hard glance but he too seemed weary.

An eight-hundred year old master can?t think it is very good to be awaken at this hour for any reason, let alone oversee what has been falsely made out to be improprieties of a lowly apprentice, *Me*. No, this can?t be good and I have one strike against me going in, the timing of this meeting.

Another thing Obi-Wan noticed was the missing Benet. She was not there. She must have made some kind of accusation about Obi-Wan being improper about something Whatever she said thought Obi, Shouldn?t she be here to back up her own words. Gosh Benet you should have at least had enough guts to stand up and lie to me in the face. Didn?t seem to bother you to do before every master on this review board.

Qui-Gon became increasingly worried after he noticed the look of seriousness on all the sleepy-eyed masters' faces... His first concern was that the female padawan might have been seriously injured for he wouldn?t want that. His second concern which was more worry, bordering fear was that the accusation would also include his apprentice being the cause of those injuries, serious or otherwise.

?Then perhaps this is not the time to convene an inquiry as to Obi?s innocence or guilt. Common practice affords any accused the right to face his accuser.?

Yoda tapped his gimer stick hard against the floor.

?Enough, I have heard Master Jinn. Face his accuser Kenobi most certainly will, only later. Face the witness to the abomination he will tonight. Must be decided how to contain his anger until a real tribunal date is set.?

Master Jinn was floored. Anger?... Obi-Wan has never been known to be overly angry at anyone. Jealous yes, but even then he wasn?t the one to instigate an all out disagreement with Anakin. It was the other way around. Maybe the council forgets Obi and I were sent away from the Jedi in order for them to deal with Anakin?s turmoil not my apprentice?s. I will mention that to Master Yoda in private.

Master Jinn knew a real tribunal meant formal charges. It meant possible incarceration at the temple holding cells until one's guilt or innocence was proven. The council masters clearly did not consider this a small infraction on Kenobi?s part. It was being treated as a criminal offense.

?I am sorry masters I don?t understand. You drag my padawan and I here to face an accusation and the accuser is not even here. Could it be that she has changed her mind and come to her senses? Maybe now she understands it was a case of mistaken identity."

Jinn knew what he said was just an intentional misnomer. He knew Obi was in real trouble for some reason if they had already decided to convene an official tribunal trial for him.. Why he said what he said he didn't really know, except to use it to stall to keep from hearing the truth.

Mace was extremely sleepy. He rubbed his large hand over his eyes and looked at Qui-Gon for the first time really. Before his attention had remained on Obi-Wan as he tried to gage the boys feelings.

"No Qui, Padawan Benet has not changed her mind. Her master and the healer who examined her said it would be too much on her mentally to face Obi-Wan this soon."

Now Obi-Wan was worried.

Why does she need a healer? Did something ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.