main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends With No Reprise-A Complete Qui-Gon Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    With No Reprise
    Written by LuvEwan

PG

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me. Title taken from the Jesse Harris/Norah Jones song The Long Day is Over.

*As soon as I thought of this little idea, I knew I had to dedicate the story to diane. The biggest Qui-Gon lover I know! See, I can write him sympathetically! :D

A Master glimpses more of what he never wanted to see in his former teacher.

++

His dreams were hazy-but it was a pleasant haze, more a cloud of cotton candy than swelling black rain.

Cotton candy?

Yes, he had to admit, that was the proper description. Fluffy, flyaway images spun in colorful sweetness. It was a change for him. For most of his life, especially the lonely intervals, sleep brought unsettling memories bathed in sickly hues. Nightmares. Mistakes played over in a cruel loop.

But tonight he was floating along, the only recollections with him that of a dark hotel room lit by a glowing holo screen, watching a crazed monster chase a mismatched group through deserted fields, listening to his apprentice's animated reactions to every twist and scream.

Qui-Gon Jinn woke slowly, his eyelids bobbing up and down, his vision coming in slits of shadow. The heavy aroma of salt intermingled with sugar and cinnamon streamed through his senses. Undoubtedly, Obi-Wan hadn't spared a morsel, but the scents lingered, a gentle reminder of the evening that the Master welcomed.

He opened his eyes fully, squinting in bleary shock at the static crackling on the forgotten screen. Qui-Gon grumbled something unintelligible, and lifted a hand to switch off the annoyance.

Obi-Wan stirred, took a quick, sharp inhale of air, then released it in a sigh.

Qui-Gon's fingers stalled. The square radiated a tender effulgence, despite its artificiality, and spilled to caress his apprentice's features. The sleeping youth's head was turned toward him, a very slight smile holding faint to his mouth. In the blurry mosaic of gray and shadow, the long cheekbones were defined, the cleft deepened. And, less prominent, was the fine crease between his closed eyes.

For now, the line was an occasional thing, a sign of distress or foreboding or, as currently displayed, deep thought.

But with time and the Order's shuddering definition of 'experience', Qui-Gon had an almost fearful inkling that the tiny wrinkle would pass over into permanence. Yet, for all his worry, Qui-Gon found himself matching the smile his Padawan wore. The coarse, battle worn fingers that had been outstretched toward the holo screen moved to ghost across the space linking Obi-Wan's brows.

A thickening album of days had brought subtle changes to the boy's countenance. A diminishment of the round shape, a stronger setting of the already powerful jaw. Still young. Still a portrait of innocence-and mischief.

Qui-Gon shifted with a small grimace as his back protested the chosen pallet of rest. They had been free of mission duties for the evening, and spread a blanket over the lush carpeting, covering it with an assortment of snacks ranging from fried (grease-soaked) potato skins to sprinkled confections and carbonated, syrupy beverages. The film was a favorite of the planet and a staple of network evening programming. Qui-Gon was hesitant; he considered horror a generally cheesy genre populated by overacting and underdeveloped writing. His Padawan had taken in the opinion with a long-suffering expression, then calmly responded 'My Master, the critic.' Qui-Gon answered the brilliant grin with a chuckle-then caved in, promising that the next time such an opportunity presented itself, they would view a documentary.

'I'll remember to bring my eyemask and a sedative.' Was the dry reaction.

So they sat cross-legged at their makeshift, moonlit picnic, drinking and eating, laughing and talking and-just once-blurting a surprised little cry at the unfolding action.

By the time the credits scrolled, Obi-Wan was snoring, curled on his side. Qui-Gon had brought up his ha

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Loved Qui's self-denial, his natural rebellion against Dooku and his natural inclination to try and protect Obi-Wan. The juxtaposition of all of Qui's roles - not least son and father - was really well done. Great work, LE!

Shaindl

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh that was lovely LE!!!! wow you did write a nice Qui-Gon ;) Very good job too!

Very very excellent!

=D=

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WOW! That was incredibly touching. You portrayed Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan so well! I'm jealous!!! :D

But with time and the Order's shuddering definition of 'experience', Qui-Gon had an almost fearful inkling that the tiny wrinkle would pass over into permanence. Yet, for all his worry, Qui-Gon found himself matching the smile his Padawan wore. The coarse, battle worn fingers that had been outstretched toward the holo screen moved to ghost across the space linking Obi-Wan's brows.

Lovely work, as always!

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Portrayal Qui and Obi??? Well I LOVED how she did Dooku!! [face_love] hehehehe

Even though he was being conniving there, he was still concern for Qui. I thought that was soooo sweet! He has somewhat forseen the fall of the Jedi and wish to protect his old Paddy and Obi. Dooku has his reasons...though they are somewhat tainted, but I believe good ideas. Poor guy... juz got grabbed by the wrong guy.

I loved the beginning with Qui thinking of Obi and his thoughts about him. That was very well played out! Excellent characterizations overall!!

And Qui trying to deny what the future might have in store for the Jedi. He senses something but not 100% sure if what Dooku says could come true. Loved the innerstruggle there for Qui!!

Could I ask a favor of you to do a Dooku viggie?? You did suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch an awesome job with Dooku!!! Or if you do have any with Dooku buried about do tell!! ;)

Great work LuvEwan!!!! =D=

6. Odd-Thomas

Odd-Thomas Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    This was great! I agree, I liked your portrayal of Dooku. Nice work.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    *As soon as I thought of this little idea, I knew I had to dedicate the story to diane. The biggest Qui-Gon lover I know! See, I can write him sympathetically!

I was shocked when I read that and very pleased even before I began to read. But then I read this and was even more pleased!!!! Stunned is more the word.

You have written Qui-Gon and Dooku so well this time that I am in awe. Superbly done. Your language is lovely but it is your characterizations that just stand out. That Qui-Gon had to go through such an apprenticeship with a man that can manipulate and degrade with honeyed words - wonderfully done, LE. The sweetness that he shares with Obi-Wan (drool...LOL) and then the duel of words with Dooku. Scary and lovely and foreboding.

Loved this part. But to the young Padawan-and even the currently seasoned Master-that distance always seemed to stretch out into a chasm. Count Dooku, as he was now called, demanded respect.
    In his career as a mentor, Qui-Gon preferred to earn such reverence and obedience from his charge.
    How wonderfully well, you paint the differences between the two.

You should definitely do more Dooku and Qui-Gon. Lovely! =D=

8. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Wonderful work here! I agree that your characterization of Dooku was especially well done. Fantastic viggie!

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Bravo Bravo. It ties in so well with AOTC where I was left wondering why Obi-Wan had never met his master's master.

10. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    That was absolutely superb. Your use of language and word choice, your characterization and internal dialogue were all perfectly wonderful! =D=

11. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Very good, LE! I usually am 'forced' to write Dooku in joint stories and this is exactly how I try to portray him: aloof, but still deeply concerned about Qui-Gon, and of course Obi-Wan. Excellent work! Characteristics are very well written and thought out. Marvelous!

The Master was a blaze across the short distance, until he had fisted the velvet finery of his mentor's cape. "Over. My. Dead. Body."

Hm, well...technically it was... lol

12. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Hrmmmm Durhelediel you got that scene embedded in my mind now... I think I'm gonna sketch that scene out tomorrow at work!! ;) hehehe that was interesting about those last words... Poor Qui...

(edit: Also this scene was VERY touching... I'll probably do a sketch of him gently touching Qui's face too)

Dooku looked steadily into the open desperation and disgust. "When the base is rotten and unstable, pillars tend to crumble, my poor, misguided friend." He reached up to grip Qui-Gon's broader shoulders. "I know what the future holds for the Jedi. And it isn't bright."

The stability of Qui-Gon's expression wavered for a fleeting moment. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," Dooku raised pale fingers to the bearded cheek in an uncharacteristically tender gesture, "That you and your young student would fare better to walk out of here, out of the Jedi, right now. I am offering you salvation, Qui-Gon. A reprieve from a terrible future. A chance to escape destruction."

Qui-Gon searched wildly for a slip in the façade, some sign that this was an elaborate ruse that played on his emotions. When he couldn?t locate a single catch or seam, he turned away, eyes finding empty solace in the dimmed hotel around him. His heart jackhammered.
    No. That can't be true. How could he know? How could?

"I would not manipulate you. No matter what you think of me, know that I wouldn't come to you without just cause."

"No." The whisper was torn from Qui-Gon's very soul, and hidden ghosts began to stir within him, sending chills through his bones.

Oh Dooku!! ;) hehehe [face_love]

13. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    But there was a division between them now, a breach that had placed the two loyalties of his life on opposite ends. Namely, when the great Master Dooku left the Jedi, taking with him considerable skill and brilliance, leaving behind a controversial reputation in the silvery halls of the Temple. For Qui-Gon, the choice had been a spirit-wrenching one, but inevitably, his deepest bonds were those with the Force itself, and to a lesser extent, the group that lived to serve it.

This was truly amazing! I'm fairly new to these boards, but I think this is one for the archives. Just think about it! Absolutely touching and extremely well written.

14. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    =D= Wonderful job! I loved this, absolutely loved this. Your portrayal of all the characters is superb! How do you do it?

15. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Shaindl Thank you so much. [face_love] Even if you are a Qui-Gon lover. :p

Layren Thanks! [:D]

VaderLVR64 Thak you. [face_blush] And I'm so enjoying your series of vignettes about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. :)

Kynstar I think I just might have to write a Dooku vignette for you. It would take awhile though, because that would take some serious thinking..something I'm not too adept at doing. :D Thank you for your comments, as always. If my characterization of the Count was liked by you, then I'm pretty confident of it myself. ;)

Odd-Thomas Thank you! ;)

diane Well, it had that mixture of Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon mush and Qui-Gon overall angst. Who else could I dedicate it to? [face_laugh] Seriously though, I'm so glad you liked it and I'm happy you had so much fun on your vacation...while I was sitting at home or at work... :mad: ;)

LukesTheMan Thank you so much! :)

PK I have to say, the scene between Dooku and Obi-Wan in AOTC was one of my very favorites. There was just so much backstory there, in the tone of their voices, in the things that weren't said. As I was writing this, I starting thinking 'Hm, what if I turned this into a full-length story or maybe an AU'!..Then I slapped myself hard. :D Thank you for your review. [face_love]

Lilith Demodae Thank you for your comments. [face_love]

Durhelediel Aww, thank you. [face_blush]

AnakinsHeir Thank you! :) Although, I don't think the archives would much appreciate the touches of mush in it. [face_blush]

jm2 Thank you. :D

16. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh I'd be soooo beyond appreciative if ya did do a story with Dooku!! [face_love] I am a patient person! ;) hehehehe

Have to say, the scene between Dooku and Obi-Wan in AOTC was one of my very favorites. There was just so much backstory there, in the tone of their voices, in the things that weren't said. As I was writing this, I starting thinking 'Hm, what if I turned this into a full-length story or maybe an AU'!..Then I slapped myself hard.

Ohhhhhh that would be sooooooo awesome if ya did do an AU ;) I truly hope you didn't slap yourself all that hard? ;) hehehehe
    Yep yep yep you did an exceptional job on the regal Count! :D :D

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Holy smokes, that was really one intense viggnette. You give a wonderful case of why Obi-Wan knows nothing of his own master's master and as others have already said Dooku was wonderfully drawn out. His knowledge of the future and desire to spare Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan from it is admirable,but of course knowing what he really becomes sends shivers down my back.

Awesome post!

18. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Thank you, Leona. [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.