main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Firefly~ *~Dooku's past comes back to haunt him...quite literally. (Dooku POV)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Charmisjess, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Wow. *looks around and blinks* It's been a long time since a posted anything I can't think of an amusing author note!!! LOL, well, I hope you enjoy my little fic, I have worked on this for quite a while, always thought this was an amusing idea to entertain, I hope I did it justice. Oh-and I posted this in Before the Saga, even though the actual 'event,' as it were, takes place in the saga, because I think it's more about the relationship as it is in Before the Saga, more than the time that the events actually happen in. Hope that is okay by fic rules. :)

Oh, and a special thanks to Athena and her adorable Padawan, who were a big help in distracting me from writing this. :D ;) lol...juuuust kidding, thank you for the support and random ideas!!! :)

~*~*~*~*~ Firefly ~*~*~*~*~

I arrived late.

By Naboo reckoning, it was a quarter past midnight. My feet found their own way, and I walked on, without much thought. I strolled down the walkways, past the smoldering pyre and down into the gardens. The gentle patter of the fountain?s flow drew me closer. The night air greeted my weary face, the breeze embracing me as flesh never had nor could. The soft wind carried with it the fragrance of blossoms, of leaves, of life, and...of smoke. Pain wrenched inside me. It was this, the last acrid scent on the breeze that tolled my heartbreak with grim assurance. I was too late.

I had come here to say goodbye, but now as I looked around the deserted gardens, I knew I could never. My ship had been quick, but not so fleet as to catch mortality. I ought to have known. It seemed that fate saved this last cruel blow to grind to dust my former career as a Jedi Master. But then of course, fate never favored traitors.

I had missed my own padawan?s funeral.

Light from the Theed Palace windows caught and scintillated on the tiny beads of dew clinging to the flora surrounding me. My mind, however, missed the beauty. Broken, I sank into a bench beside the fountain. Bitter anger surged through me. So this was it. After everything, after all of it, this was how it would end. When I left Coruscant I had promised myself I would not grieve. But I had not anticipated the anger. It should have been me. I ought to have been the dust on the wind.

He had always been the good one. Mind that of course he was not perfect, but he had something I never seemed to attain, though I was older, and ought to have been stronger than him. I wasn?t sure what exactly the quality was; compassion, wisdom, purity, perhaps understanding, but it was good. He had flaws, but they seemed to compliment him, rather than corrupt. They built onto him. Every experience as I grew older grew stronger bitterness within me, and yet it seemed to be the reverse for him. He did not grow older, or more jaded, he grew. I never told him I admired him for that.

And now I never would. I felt cheated. And how had it happened this way? Who knew, that out of the two of us he would fall first? If anyone in this galaxy deserved death it was me. And yet I was here and he was gone. The irony made me want to shriek my rage to the apathetic midnight sky.

I leaned back against the cool stone of bench, closing my eyes while my head spun. All the peaceful moonlit gardens in the galaxy could not quell the torture in my flesh. I wasn?t sure what now I was to do, and the feeling was new and bewildering to me. My allegiances had been so abruptly slashed of late and I could not quite place this new pain back into my plan which days ago had seemed so right. Naturally, Qui-Gon would chose the worst, most chaotic point in my life to die.

But there was little sense hiding in a garden all night. The air had a growing chill to it, and weariness was beginning to settle over my limbs. I opened my eyes, intending to follow the path up to the palace and pay my respects in whatever way the grieving Master would be expected to. They would undoubtably be surprised to see me, the half dark, crazed ex-Jedi at this solemn remembrance of one so light. Apparently they hadn?t

2. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    JESS!! *screams* That was so wonderful!!! You nailed them spot on! and the dialogue, oh the dialogue was perfect! Your descriptions were so marvelous! I'm so jealous! ;) Such a story, I can so see it happening. And then he was gone! NO! *huggles Quiga* And the line I said I loved, but just for the record:

If you?ve journeyed from the beyond to preach at me about my vast inadequacies as a paternal figure to you, save your incorporeal breath.

And oh such metaphor, with the lovely little fireflies at the end and Dooku crying, because he did love him! *nods* Um, and no it wasn't too long and it didn't drag! And 'tis lovely and I forgot what I was going to say. Well, it's so perfect and I'm so glad you posted it! All right, I think I've covered it, lol, you get the idea, which is that I loved it!

3. Sarahthenerd

Sarahthenerd Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    I loved this. :D Everyone's in character, and it's written so well. Can I have this one for the website? (which is long overdue for an update, eheheh.)

But there was little sense hiding in a garden all night.

It's really weird, but it was that one line where the difference between them sort of hit home. *long sigh*

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    [face_blush] Hope my reply isn't all too long for you! This was such a great fic!!!

Loved how we get to see where Qui got his 'I'll do as I must' attitude from ;) hehehe though most of us knew that already.

I had tears in my eyes at this! And it is only the beginning of the fic!!

I had come here to say goodbye, but now as I looked around the deserted gardens, I knew I could never. My ship had been quick, but not so fleet as to catch mortality. I ought to have known. It seemed that fate saved this last cruel blow to grind to dust my former career as a Jedi Master. But then of course, fate never favored traitors.

I had missed my own padawan?s funeral.

Light from the Theed Palace windows caught and scintillated on the tiny beads of dew clinging to the flora surrounding me. My mind, however, missed the beauty. Broken, I sank into a bench beside the fountain. Bitter anger surged through me. So this was it. After everything, after all of it, this was how it would end. When I left Coruscant I had promised myself I would not grieve. But I had not anticipated the anger. It should have been me. I ought to have been the dust on the wind.

He had always been the good one. Mind that of course he was not perfect, but he had something I never seemed to attain, though I was older, and ought to have been stronger than him. I wasn?t sure what exactly the quality was; compassion, wisdom, purity, perhaps understanding, but it was good. He had flaws, but they seemed to compliment him, rather than corrupt. They built onto him. Every experience as I grew older grew stronger bitterness within me, and yet it seemed to be the reverse for him. He did not grow older, or more jaded, he grew. I never told him I admired him for that.

And now I never would. I felt cheated. And how had it happened this way? Who knew, that out of the two of us he would fall first? If anyone in this galaxy deserved death it was me. And yet I was here and he was gone.

Oh this was funny! Yep Qui to the 't'!

?Listen to me. Perhaps there would be less conflict in our lives if you just understood this. Your role in my life ended a long time ago. As did mine in yours. Sentimentality aside, you and I are no longer connected. I don?t want your advice.? I knew I only half believed the words I was so vehemently declaring, but went on. ?I am no longer the same man who trained you. And inside, that man who trained you was only half the man you thought him to be.? I tried not to notice the quiet hurt on his ethereal features, nor the crack in my own voice. ?You?re wasting your eternity of peace.?

Of course, he had a reply. He always did. His voice was smooth, intelligent, even in death, he could certainly argue. ?If there is no more sentimentality in our relationship, then you will be able to excuse my speaking frankly to you.? His eyebrows rose expressively. ?And eternity is mine to waste, isn?t it??

My lips twitched, and a small part of me was amused. ?You don?t take much of a hint, do you?? I commented to him, turning back.

He smiled sadly and shook his head. ?Have I ever??

*Snrk* I couldn't help but laugh at that one as well. Poor Qui... 'tis the truth alas poor Dooku!

?Your words are empty, child.? I chided him, as I had done so much when he was under my tutelage. ?I taught you wrongly. You learned well of honor, and rightness, and justice, and truth, but in the end look where it got us both. I?m a traitor, and you?re...well...? I chuckled harshly, brokenly. ?You?re dead.?

This was sad too! Actually this whole thing was! :_|

?Master...? He began, stepping forward.

?Not anymore.? I replied with a sigh.

?Dooku, then.?

?Nor am I he.?

OHHH! Excellent ending!! Loved it!

He was gone. He was truly gone. My eyes stung, and I finally blinked, furiously wiping the moisture from my cheeks. I promised myself I would not grieve. The drops of fate had fallen. The garden was empty, save for the tiny flickering dance of fireflies.

(edit: minor booboos... prob even more my Mou

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Jess!!!!!!!!!!! YAY! YOu POSTIED IT! Wow this fic is so breathtakingly beautiful. I enjoyed this just as much the second time around. Brilliant job. I love how you've portrayed all of Dooku's emotions here at seeing his former apperentice in corpreal form. SO sad that DOoku didn't want him to call him Master anymore... even thnough Qui-Gon tried to redeem him.. so sad.... so good!

Excellent job!

6. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    awwww!! Yay, this little thing actually got replies... :)

Athena: Awww, you're the best Athena! Thanks so much for the review! So kind!! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, and my mushy sadness amused you. ;) Poor Quigs, I know. And really, I just love saying the word firefly. Lol, yeah yeah yeah, metaphors, but come on, try saying it... "fireflies.." ah, so fun! *is crazy*

Sarah: Sarah the nerd....Sarah....Sarah...*squints* SARAH!! Long time no see!!! You changed your screen name!! *in bewilderment* It confuzzled me, until I read your sig. obviously... *sighs, is silly Jess* Thank you for the comments! Of course you can have it, you can have any of my silly little fics! Oh, yes, an update would be nice....*waves huge Making flag spastically* :D Again, thanks for the reply, brightened my day!

Kynstar: Awww! Lol!! Long replies are fun!! Thanks for taking the time to reply!! *huggles repliers* :) :) :) I'm glad you liked it---aw, and yes, Qui is a silly, stubborn boy, that's why we love him! lol-among other reasons, of course... ;) ooo, Mountain Dew, gimme some...*reaches for it*

Laurie-poo: thanks Layren, :) very much appreciated the kind words! Thanks for taking the time to review, yes, and as always...*melt* poor Qui!

7. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Awesome work! I don't read much Before the Saga stuff, but this might suck me in. Very nicely done. :)

8. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    I usually don't read Dooku stuff but, I think you may have convinced me to give it a bit more of a glance once and a while ;) Fabulous job I must say, the emotions were just right!

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely piece. I really liked how you had Dooku and a dead Qui-Gon arguing over the future. I thought you got Dooku in his arrogance just right and Qui-Gon sadness at the fall of his old Master was great.

I thought this was especially poignant.
    But I still found myself replying, hurt, surprised. ?Of course I came.?

He nodded at my words. His eyes were calm, and yet with mingled sadness. They often had been, of late, I remembered. ?It?s just that I didn?t think that you would.?

So sad.

Well done.

10. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Sans defaut. Perfect. Just perfect. :D

11. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Sorry for bringing this back, so to speak. But I was browsing the forums and ran across this fic, and I have to say it is simply amazing. A very nice piece. Everything about it was simply magical, I could easily see everything in my mind, and the dialouge was perfectly perfect. You've done a wonderful job, Jess...I do hope you keep up the magnificent work. :)

~Vassago

12. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hey I didn't mind you bringing it back up ;) I soooo enjoyed this! Poor Dooku :(

This line juz sticks out. Poor Count... A monster cannot feel, neither can a fallen star change its fateful track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.