main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread : New Challenge **Qui-Gon as a kid ** updated 5/8/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dianethx, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dianethx/quidone2.jpg]
    Qui-Gon Jinn - Jedi Knight [face_love]

Welcome to the Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread.

For those of us who have always been fascinated by the tall and compelling Master Jinn or for those who just wish to read tales of daring and intrigue and silliness, this is the place for you.

The challenges have come from the Letting Qui-Gons be Qui-Gons . Now there is a new thread in town and the challenges are issued there in Maverick of the Living Force: Qui-Gon Jinn DiscussionThread on the Fan Fiction Resource board. But we welcome any ideas for challenges involving Qui-Gon in any time period (even AUs from the Saga or even Beyond the Saga).
    Please note that the challenges are open-ended so that there is no time limit to any of them.
    So let your imagination go wild?

First Challenge - Quiku
    Write a haiku about Qui-Gon (Quiku). Young, old, by himself or with anyone else you chose. Silly, serious and anything in-between. Haikus are 17 syllable poems (usually three lines of 5, 7, 5 syllables but they don't have to be).

Second Challenge - First Kill
    Write about Qui-Gon reacting to the first time he witnesses someone killing another. The killer can be a) Dooku, b)Qui-Gon himself, c) one of his padawans, d) one of the Jedi or e) one of his friends (whoever that might be).
    It does not have to be from Qui-Gon's point of view!

Third Challenge - Action Qui-Gon
    Action, adventure, A Jedi craves not these things but they usually get them anyway. Write about Qui-Gon in action - any time period, any situation, AU, EU, JA, pre-JA.... well, you get the idea.

Fourth Challenge - Flash Fiction
    Write a flash fiction story (must be between 101 and 499 words) - any era, canon or AU, any POV, any subject - just include Qui-Gon [face_love] somewhere in the story.

Fifth Challenge - Broken Nose Write about how Qui-Gon got his broken nose. It can be any era, canon or AU.

Sixth Challenge - Romance @};-
    Write a romance story with Qui-Gon as a participant or guiding another along in figuring out just what love is all about. Any era, canon or AU.

Seventh Challenge - Qui-Gon Answers
    Qui-Gon Jinn has a lot of explaining to do. The Jedi Council has sent out a Temple-wide survey and every Jedi must answer... even our favorite Jedi Master. Questions and answers are to be posted on the Maverick of the Living Force: Qui-Gon Jinn DiscussionThread. He can be any age and even AU!

Eighth Challenge - Getting Older
    Qui-Gon realizes that he's getting older. He can be any age!

Ninth Challenge - Qui-Gon goes Rogue or Tales of the Code. What makes our Jedi a rogue? Or is he?

Tenth Challenge - Childhood Qui
    Write a story about Qui-Gon between birth to age 12. It can be any situation and any length. Starts April 29.

Indexes of Stories/postings
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16981717&start=17154233] Quiku Challenge Index [/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16981717&start=17154326] First Kill - Second Challenge Index [/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16981717&start=17212393] Action Qui-Gon - Third Challenge Index [/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16981717&start=17457763] Flash Fiction - Fourth Challenge Index [/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16981717&start=17848287]Broken Nose - Fifth Challenge Index [/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/messa

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Thanks Diane! I was gonna create the thread yesterday but I was so tired I fell asleep early ;) I'll see if I can't whip up a few :)

3. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Here's a couple to get started.

And so it begins

Braiding hair; Brilliant
    Padawan's grin tells Master
    Jinn that all is well.

Going down to Duty and Death

Accepting Fate; Force
    Howls his death while darkness sneers.
    Sword's kiss; Hard life done.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A quick one while I'm at work:

Qui-Gon at a Glance

Living Force adept
    Paristeel muscles rippling
    Compassion impels

5. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    oh, diane, those are both lovely. Particularly the first one, is cute. Both good.

And Leona, very good. *giggles at the second line* You're silly. But that whole thing is a very good summary of him.

Can we get some topic suggestions or something? At least I can maybe have some starting point. I've never written poetry for a man before, ok I've never written any poetry and I hadn't planned on starting, but looks like you're gonna make me. :p I do want to participate. This, after all, was in part my idea. I wanna play too!

6. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Arrggh, it be Talk Like A Pirate Day today so me warped little pirate mind produced this one special for today on the spur of the moment:

pirates
    come on me hearties
    he be only one man, lads
    he can't stop us.... oh

Now maties, here be a couple of previously produced Quiku:

rescue
    flashing green glass blade
    cuts through chains that bind
    then falls, hands catch the boy

joy
    deep blue eyes sparkle
    at the joke, at the next his
    laughter wells, escapes

Arrrgghh, and one last silly one thanks to the musings on what the challenge should be...

hair
    "why grow hair so long?"
    "so mace won't have to grow any"
    mirth trails angry troll

Now, I be running low on me stock of piratical language so I best be hoistin' anchor, me hearties.

KD

edited to add titles

7. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    ok, I'll shut up now. Haha, I had an idea all on my own! Duh, just stick to my specialty. Ok, this was inspired by a little fic that I'm going to post to the board after I finish posting what I'm posting now.

Master's Light

Hidden in darkness,
    a guiding star to his boy,
    Master shines so bright.

ok, my first haiku ever, I hope I did it right. Yay, I contributed!

Knight_Dilettante those were all lovely, I think I like the laughter one best.

8. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Yay I came up with two! Here's mine! I'll reply to every one elses's tonight after church :)

Beautiful Man

Long dark chesnut hair
    Shines in the beautiful sun
    Blue eyes filled with life

The Nature of Qui-Gon

Living Force fills him
    Plants and animals love him
    Exasperates all.

Edit -- I made a few more!

Master Qui-Gon

Loving, kind, Master
    Understands and does duty
    Watches Obi-Wan.

Rogue Qui-Gon

Patiently teaching
    Always helping when he can
    Rebels when he can?t.

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Wow, everyone seems to be inspired. For those that want the PM versions, please let us know... I've been enjoying them thoroughly.

10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Finally home and getting a chance to reply...

Diane I went from sighing with delight to whimpering with sadness. Those were wonderful.

KD Love the special pirate one and blue eyes and laughter... and okay I love them all! LOL!

AthenaLeigh I would say that's a fabulous first for you!!! Even better as it's a Quiku!!

Layren Those really capture the essence of the man. Very sweet!

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Here's two more... I'm actually finding these harder to do than the Obi drabbles.

Writer's Dilemma

Something fluffy this
    Way comes; Plots and Words Master
    All; Qui-Gon smiles serene.

Warmth

Long of limb, silvered
    Hair frames his passionate smile
    Blue eyes seal my fate.

12. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Some more previously created ones, titled this time.

An image from a work-in-progress:

Council
    eyes flash righteous fire,
    unrepentant, yet head bows
    to show respect due

From reading too many of the kill Obi stories where he died young:

Haunted
    sorrow, pain, despair
    failure haunts him through all days
    the boy should have lived

From thinking about character traits:

Pathos
    large hands cradle kit
    carefully tending all hurts
    soft caress fades pain

That's all for now folks... But they are fun and easy to do (Aren't they, Athena - I told you so) and actually fit in my available time recently so there may be more in a day or two.

KD

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Leona It was cute with the muscles - loved the last line.

KD You are so talented. The first one - loved the last word - says it all. Second one - could just picture it. Third one - loved the laughter, so Qui-Gon. Fourth one - troll...LOL.

Athena Excellent that your first haiku is a Quiku! Loved that he was guiding his boy with his light. You should do more!

Layren First one - great description! Second one - loved the last line - so Qui-Gon. Third one - sweetly done. Fourth one - another last line zinger!

KD More???? Wow.
    First one - great description of Qui-Gon. Second one - so sad. I really liked this a lot. Third one - cute.

Great job all.

14. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Layren, even though I read them already ;) You know I love Nature and Rogue, especially the last lines.

Thanks, Leona. :) Can't say I didn't try. ;)

noooooooooooo, haha, diane, that first one's good, although I don't think those fluffy things make him smile that often, not ours anyway. ;) I'm suffering from... at least one which is distracting me from trying a couple more of these.

Those are all good, Knight_Dilettante, my favorite is the Council. Perfect image. As for fun, we'll see after and if I can get a couple more done, and easy, no, not in the least.

15. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Well, I wrote a couple more, last ones for today! (We'll see about tomorrow. ;)) First one is a Quiku Quiku, ok so we aren't calling it that but um, I like it!

Apprentice

Best student chosen,
    with new braid on his shoulder,
    he'll make Dooku proud.

Moonlit

Moon captures his gaze,
    pale light washes his sad form,
    stars still shine above.

ok, no more poetry tonight! must work on story....

16. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Diane 1) Great image of the pair of them. 2):_| I loved the phrase "Sword's kiss" even though I hate thinking about his death. Beautiful. 3) That first phrase is crying out to be the start of Halloween fic about the Killer Rabbit or something. 4) Thud

Leona 1) Very good. I particularly liked "Paristeel muscles" giggle

Athena 1) Nice image of the darkness that's already invading the GFFA. 2) Yea! More! Nice. 3) Thud again I think. I could just picture this so easily. Lovely.

Layren 1) Happy sigh. Lovely. 2) Heee. That last line is so true isn't it. 3) Succinct description. 4) So true!

KD

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    If there is a PM version of anything, I want it!

18. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Thanks, KD. Actually, it's not supposed to be thuddable, but thud away if you like, lol. Actually I'm not happy with that last one and I'm probably going to redo it. It's a nice image but it's not quite what I was going for. We'll see.

19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Diane What was that about having trouble??? I think not so. That last line of Warmth... yeah, that is so right!

KD All are awesome, but my fave of this bunch would be Pathos.

Athena I love all the inpsiration this challenge has brought out/ Moonlit stole my heart!

Okay, this took a bit more thought and I hope it turned out the way my mind reads it. You know what I mean??? I know what it all says, but I wonder if it conveys the same.. sense I guess to another.

Qui-Gon Contemplated

A youngling apart
    In a temple of unique
    Among the vast stars

Growing different
    Each age bringing more struggles
    Still, square peg, round hole

Study, focus, strive
    Aspires to fit in a mold
    That cannot keep him

Attempts to comply
    Mind the future, follow rules
    He sadly cannot

The Force, his guidance
    Smothers all other voices
    Compels acquiesce

True to his training
    To the Force he listens
    Without question, doubt

Compassion it grants
    Esteem for all living things
    Peace, understanding

Rogue this now makes him
    Insubordinate, reckless
    Defies convention

Decision he makes
    To the Force does he answer
    To last dying breath

Edit: Oh, and any PM-able Quiku out there from anyone. Please send my way. :D

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, Leona That was wonderful. Loved how you showed him growing, trying to fit in and yet never being able to do so. Really lovely.

21. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow so many good ones! I am really excited to see the Qui-Gon challenge thread taking off so well!

Diane First one -- really cute image of Qui and Obi! Lovely! Second one -- Ooh I loved the imagery of Qui-Gon here and the sword's kiss -- why did you have to bring that up! but he did his duty to the last. Well done!

Leona Oooh Muscles..... btw loved your risque Qui one too ;)

KD [face_laugh] Loved the last one there!!

Athena That was really pretty sweetie! Great job!

Diane Loved both of those! Heheheheehee. mmmm his blue eyes seal my fate too .... hehehee.

KD LOVED those! Great depictions of Qui-Gon's frequent clashes with the Council and his rebellious nature. Well done!

Athena Awwww Padawan Qui-Gon -- sooo cute! *hugs him* Moonlit ... ooh I can just see that too. Well done!

Leona Excellent job with that one hon! I really liked how you've captured Qui-Gon's life so well with that long one. Very very well done.

Did I miss anyone??

22. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    oh, Leona, that's lovely! It's so perfectly him, I love it. The beginning reminded me of my story that I... need to work on, gah! No, no, was wonderful, so great with the series of them.

23. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Oh, Leona, that was a lovely descriptive series of our favorite Master.

If anyone wants the PM series I sent Diane and Leona send me a pm averring your age is sufficient and I will send it to you. But I'd rather it didn't go further from there. For one thing it is still a work in progress.

KD

24. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Master Leona That was beautiful!

Study, focus, strive
    Aspires to fit in a mold
    That cannot keep him
    So true of him.

and the last line

Decision he makes
    To the Force does he answer
    To last dying breath
    Wonderful!

These attempts are dedicated to my Master. ;)

Qui-Gon

Such power moving
    Wrung from the Force of Life, in
    Gentle, world-worn eyes.

Qui-Gon Finds The Chosen One

Small eyes reflect hope
    All darkness breaks and shatters
    A balance reclaimed.

A Last Breath

Endings come too soon
    Taking your strength as life fades
    Some bonds never break.

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    tangled_sphere Yippie, more people posted! 1st one - loved the last line. 2nd one - gave me chills to think of Anakin as balancing anything. 3rd one - loved the last line and I liked that one the best of all.

Good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.