main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Life

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by greencat336, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    These short ficlits were written some time ago. I had hoped to make them a series, but I got sidetracked onto other projects. I am going to post the two I have written. If you are interested in adding on, you are welcome to. The rules are simple: One word title, one post long, thoughts of a character at a particular moment in time, written in first person.

Here's the first I wrote. I'll post the other one soon.

Enjoy.

Title: Life
    Author: Greencat336
    Character: Yoda
    Rating: G
    Note: Just for the ease of reading, this is in standard English rather than Yoda speak.
    Summary: Yoda?s thoughts while waiting on Dagobah

I am surrounded by life. Trees, old when I was a babe, stretch into the sky and bury their thick roots into the rich soil. So many different creatures, flying, crawling, swimming. Each a separate individual, but still interconnected. Each a part of the Living Force.

I am surrounded by life, yet always death clings to me like a shroud.

Death is no stranger to me. In my 900 years how many have I known, seen or caused to cease living? Always, I accepted it as part of the order of the universe. Physical matter was finite. Only the Force was infinite. When the crude matter of the body no longer functioned, did not the luminous spirit become one with the Force?

?There is no death, there is only the Force.? One of the first things I was taught as a child. One of the first things I taught my own students. But there are times when my faith weakens. Times when the murder of ten thousand Jedi screams at me that there is death. The death of hope.

I remind myself of the two on which we few remaining remnents of a once proud order have placed such hope. That these two, unknowing of the destiny planned for them by people they have never met, will one day reestablish the old ways. Reestablish, not restore. How could all that was lost be restored? How could all those lives, each unique and precious, how could they be restored?

I see their deaths, each and everyone. My abilities in the Force allow me to see in the past what I was not witness to when it was the present. And my heart cries out for justice. Or at least I tell myself it is the desire for justice. Revenge is not the way of the Jedi. Perhaps that ideal has also been destroyed. Do we seek justice or revenge?

The lies we plan to tell the boy, encouraging his hate and a desire to avenge a father he thinks Vader killed. Never mind Obi-Wan?s clever tricks of phrasing.

Perhaps Obi-Wan was wiser to choose a world with so little life on it. So few reminders to mock what once was.

I am surrounded by life, but all that exists for me is their deaths.

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow greencat, that was beautiful. You did a wonderful job getting inside Yoda's head and that's very hard to do sometimes. Excellent job!

3. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

that is an amazing story, seriouslt it was great

4. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I am surrounded by life, but all that exists for me is their deaths.

How sad, but elegantly said; I hadn't considered it in quite that light before, especially Yoda's stay on Dagobah. I also liked the distinction Yoda made about restoring vs. reestablishing - he's right, the Order will never be what it once was. Very lovely story. :)

5. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Thank you very much for the kind words about my story. Here is the other one of the Moments series (*grin* or what I had hoped would become the Moments series). Again, if anyone is interested in posting additions to this series, the 'rules' are in the first post of this thread.

MTFBWY

Title: Never
    Author: Greencat336
    Primary Character: Qui-Gon
    Rating: G
    JA book spoiler : Brief reference to events in the first JA book
    Summary: Qui-Gon?s thoughts on taking another Padawan

Every year is the same. Despite my best efforts, Yoda manages to make sure I am at the Temple during the initiates' lightsaber exhibitions. The one year I was detained by events even that old troll couldn?t manipulate, the exhibitions were scheduled slightly later than normal.

I have tried to make excuses not to attend, but Yoda deals with that by just ignoring them. He appears next to me, regardless of my location within the Temple, and simply fixes me with that gaze until I fall in at his side. I am an adult, a skilled diplomat, and a Jedi Master, but these are times when he can make me feel no more than a half grown Padawan. Sithing old troll.

The initiates participating this year were skilled, but nothing outstanding . . . except for the boy. He is one of a few initiates that always seem to make an appearance when I attend these things. Each year his skill with the lightsaber grows. Much potential that one has, and I wonder why no one has yet chosen him.

His anger, perhaps? As he fights the white haired boy I can sense it ? fierce and hot. So like another boy from years ago it makes my heart ache. A harsh reminder whenever I am tempted to take one of these eager young ones as a Padawan.

Yoda call a halt to the fight, declaring the boy the victor. His eyes shine with joy, even as he bows respectfully. Strange, expressive eyes. They display his every emotion, changing color to fit his mood. Flashing blue-gray in anger during the duel. Glowing green-blue in the excitement of his win. Those eyes follow me whenever I am near, full of hope.

I remind myself again of why I no longer will teach. Leaning over, I tell Yoda that as the exhibition is over, I will return to the mission reports I was working on prior to this interruption.

Although using the corridor that passes by the locker room is not the shortest route to my quarters, it is quicker. There is less chance I will be intercepted by any other knight or master. I do not wish to deal with their no doubt well intentioned inquires as to when I will take on another Padawan. As if they have all forgotten the consequences of my last taking a Padawan.

On a whim, I step through the locker room door. The boy is there, still radiating excitement from his triumph. He looks up at me in anticipation. I curse whatever impulse made me come in here.

I have to say something. The first thing that comes to mind is to question him about his fighting style. About his anger . . .

The boy?s replies are concise and clever. He is skilled with words and I briefly speculate about what sort of diplomat he would make.

No, I rebuke myself. Let some other master train this one. I have traveled this road before with a charming young man who was quick to anger. The results were disastrous. I offer some trite advice that any master could give and start to make my retreat.

The boy?s next words stop me. He is almost thirteen, almost at the age limit to become a Padawan. I hear the desperation in his voice. He so wants to become a knight. I feel in my soul that he could become a great knight, if only he had the right master. But that master will not be me. The disappointment, near despair, that comes from the boy at my refusal is overwhelming.

Abruptly, I turn and stride away, ignoring him as he calls after me. If I stay I may do something I will regret, something that universe may come to regret.

I know that they all ? Yoda, Tahl, and the rest ? believe I do not take another Padawan out of fear of opening my heart to anothe

6. meaganandsasha

meaganandsasha Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2004
    Great job......really felt sorry for Yoda and Qui-gon's presptive on taking another padawan was wonderful!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.