main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga You're Nowhere-A Post-TPM AU Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    You?re Nowhere
    A Vignette

(A look inside LE?s mind: ?Hmmm. A few incomplete stories sitting around, waiting to be finished. What to do, what to do?Oh, I know, a vignette!)

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me. What a shame. Think what I could do with that franchise?(Shirtless Obi! All the time!)

Insomnia brings brief illumination to a monumental rift between Master and former apprentice. An alternate universe piece, beginning from The Phantom Menace on.

I?m looking through you
    Where did you go?
    I thought I knew you
    What did I know?

You don?t look different
    But you have changed
    I?m looking through you
    You?re not the same

Your lips are moving
    I cannot hear
    Your voice is soothing
    But the words aren?t clear

You don?t sound different
    I?ve learned the game
    I?m looking through you
    You?re not the same?

You?re thinking of me the same old way
    You were above me
    But not today

The only difference is you?re down there
    I?m looking through you
    And you?re nowhere?-John Lennon & Paul McCartney

The azure radiance was stitched through the darkness in long sweeps, rising in graceful arcs and darting down quickly. The design left in the welling black was intricate, but began to fade as soon as it appeared, leaving a strange, fevered mist in its path. There was a melodic undertone in the form of a gentle, electric hum. The sound lowered and rose in unison with the flexes of light, with such delicate nuance that it could have easily been mistaken for a natural voice.

But, if that were so, the harmony would have been far more beautiful, because the voice was. Or perhaps it was only the kind embellishments of memory that led Qui-Gon to believe that. Time didn?t heal all wounds, but it allowed the mind a measure of delusion, to pretend said wounds were merely bruises, instead of the massive, deep, bloody gashes they were. Maybe that voice wasn?t the warm dulcet, both cultured and simple, elegant and personable, that he claimed to remember. Or maybe it was.

He watched the color work its way through the pall, able to glimpse snatches of the young, intensely focused face that was bathed in saber glow. The instances of illumination never lasted long enough. They came in fast beats, though not nearly as fast as the lightning cadence reverberating in his chest. He saw the flicker of a tensed muscle, the strain of a gold-flecked bicep.

Beyond the vibrant lattice stood a fitting backdrop of midnight. Keeping in tone with the hushed arena, the sky was a balmy mixture of obsidian and sapphire, beaded with the occasional sparkle. The wind had been cool in the day, but layers of glass and permacrete blocked the soothing touch in this late hour. Qui-Gon could hear it thread through the leaves, but could not feel it drift along his flesh.

On a smooth temple, a fresh coat of sweat was forming. Qui-Gon immediately knew why; the level of exertion was dramatically increased, as the performer leapt from simple to advanced kata. It was not the form he himself would have preferred. But still, the movements stirred a familiarity in his bones. Often, he had joined in the particular brand of battle dance out of compromise, learning technique he had never appreciated, honing skills he would never use. After all, he would never stray from his chosen form, when met with true danger. Nor would the other.

A sharp thud returned him to the moment, as bare feet slapped against the slick wood.

Abruptly, the thin stream of overhead lighting was expanded to fill the entire space.

?I don?t recall inviting an audience,? Obi-Wan remarked, standing with weapon in hand, heaving chest awash in the fire of his achievement. His leggings hung low on his waist, ending in tatters at the calf. He was leaner, much of his body worn away by the unrelenting duties of his station. The hardship of that loyalty was present in his face, in the new lines drawn shallowly around his mouth and eyes.

Qui-Gon studied the eyes that were, in turn, studying him. Grayer, he thought. Gray rimming bl

2. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I better up this before it falls off the page. [face_blush]

3. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    It's really quiet on the boards tonight, but that means I'm lucky enough toget first reply.

This is the type of attempted reconciliation I imagined and half expected at the end of the RRK saga. It is very realistic. Good job!

4. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    PK Thanks. [:D] I had the idea for a chance meeting between them after TPM. I was gonna do it on some planet they were both having a mission or someting like that, but then I thought it would probably be better if they were just in the Temple. I really appreciate your review. [face_love]

5. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Great story, LE. I love how Obi-Wan's tone always stays the same throughout the conversation, whether it tries to conceal pain or malice or disappointment. Without ever stating it you make very clear that Obi-Wan has worked hard to get to this level of neutrality with Qui-Gon and how hard he's still working to not be or at least not seem vulnerable to his former Master.

Qui-Gon stepped closer to him, until all that could pass between them were specters. ?How badly did I hurt you??

Obi-Wan?s gaze was unblinkingly solemn. ?You didn?t hurt me.? His voice was softer, ?You taught me, as an instructor should. As a final lesson, it was fitting.?

This is beautifully written, because it's absolutely clear that Qui-Gon hurt Obi-Wan very badly and I don't think Obi-Wan really thinks it was fitting, but he obviously thinks he would give Qui-Gon some level of satisfaction through admitting to the pain. Maybe I'm writing complete nonsense here, but that's how it seems to me.

And it isn?t self-pity. It?s acceptance. This is the way things will always be. I was a Padawan because I forced myself in. I?m a Knight because I was forced out.?

Lovely sentence. Just had to say it. :)

It's really a wonderful piece and though the harmony-loving person in me would like to see a follow-up and that they sort it all out, I see that this is probably the way things would have happened. I like the atmosphere you created in this. I could exactly imagine the chill of the night. Very well done. :)

6. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    And it isn?t self-pity. It?s acceptance. This is the way things will always be. I was a Padawan because I forced myself in. I?m a Knight because I was forced out.?

That sentence stood out for me, too. Great job!

7. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    wow.

this was stirring in its depressed and sad angst! great job--are you going to leave it here or will there be more? [face_worried]

....and shirtless, panting Obi...nice! ;)

8. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Indra It doesn't sound like nonsense to me. Although, look who you're talking to. I understand nonsense pretty well. 8-} I'm really relieved that a lot of the unsaid things still came across. I was afraid of this because I finished it and wouldn't read it. I really rely on reviews. Thank you. [:D]

BrokenNoseofQui-Gon Thank you! [face_love]

SarkaVrae ....and shirtless, panting Obi...nice! Indeed, very nice. I think I'll try to start a revolution. Better living through half-naked Jedi. :D

9. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    I really enjoyed this LE! :) It was sad that Obi-Wan came to a place of acceptance concerning his and Qui's past, also his feelings of inadequacy of his own abilities. I kept hoping they would somehow work out a compromise that would help them both to heal. It was sad that Obi-Wan couldn't accept a compliment even from his old master. Great job with this! :)

10. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Bekah Thank you. [face_love] Obi-Wan's kind of a quiet character in general, so I thought he'd just hold it in, instead of, I don't know, leaving mean messages on Qui-Gon's answering machine. :p

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    OH dear LE that was so sad.... please tell me you'll erm.. continue this?? *looks hopeful*

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    As always, your language is stellar. I really loved this piece even though it hurt like hell to read it. I could feel each emotional dagger and the ripping pain in them both.

I especially loved ?Obi-Wan, you didn?t have a Ceremony.?

Rip out my heart why don't you!

And this one ?And it isn?t self-pity. It?s acceptance. This is the way things will always be. I was a Padawan because I forced myself in. I?m a Knight because I was forced out.?

Darn you, LE. [face_devil]

I would love that you would continue this and have a happy ending (you know me and my happy endings) but even with an unhappy one, I'd love more!

13. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Layren I'm not sure about that. ;) But thanks for reading. :)

diane I don't share your love of happy endings, I suppose. [face_devil] I think it would be easy to expand this, but I think I do that too much. I've been tempted to add to those vigs I did for the challenge, when Obi-Wan really went to the AgriCorps, but I stray too easily. I need to be more loyal to the stories I have going. ;) But anything's possible, especially if strong inspiration hits. :) Thanks for reading. I really value your opinion.

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    More would be nice :)

15. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    PK Would it? Well, you can judge for yourself, I guess. I'm giving in and writing a sequel. :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.