main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Shroud of Darkness (AOTC AU Qui/Dooku Obi/Ani) ~~ Updated 11/2 ~~ Really Really!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Title: Shroud of Darkness
    Author(s): Layren and Kynstar
    Timeframe: AOTC
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Dooku, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme`, etc.
    Summary: With the Republic on the brink of war, will the actions of the Force on a single Jedi apprentice bring his Master salvation or further condemnation?
    Author Notes: This is our very first Saga collaboration :D We've had a lot of fun working on this fic so far and I've thoroughly enjoyed tinkering around with familiar characters in a landscape I'm not as familiar with :D I hope ya'll enjoy!

Dooku smiled a little as he walked Qui-Gon to the shuttle.

"Remember, they need these medical supplies pretty quick. Be safe and watch out for those pirates. Jocasta was telling me just earlier that she looked up the area and it is known for piracy."

Qui-Gon nodded a little and looked down to make sure his lightsaber was attached to his belt. "Yes, Master. I'll do my best to get the shipment there as soon as possible. I'll contact you every so often so you know things are going well."

"Good. Be safe and may the Force be with you, Padawan." Dooku's smile widened as he allowed confidence and warmth to flood through their bond.

Qui-Gon bowed to his Master. "Thank you Master. I'll be back soon," he turned and boarded the sleek little ship that the Council was allowing him to use for this mission. He busied himself at the controls, requesting permission to take off.

After receiving permission from Coruscant Traffic Control, he merged into the spacelanes and headed for space. A few more minutes and he programmed the coordinates into the navicomputer and the stars flared into starlines.

Dooku watched as the ship left, as a strange feeling overcame him while he stood there. Dark brows furrowed at the odd sensation. It wasn't quite a warning, but felt foreboding. He's only taking supplies...he is an able pilot and can out maneuver pirates.

Snorting under his breath about what he was feeling, the tall Master turned on his heels and went back inside the Temple.

Qui-Gon sighed as the ship went into hyperspace. Now there was nothing left to do but wait. He stood up from the controls and went to the lounge. It was time to see about getting himself something to eat. He made certain to stock the ship with a decent amount of food for his trip just in case.

Several hours later, the klaxon of an alarm woke the apprentice prior to being jarred out of his sleep couch. He could literally feel the ship shuddering under some type of pressure. Rushing out of his cabin to the cockpit, readouts were careening across the screen. The ship had automatically pulled itself out of hyperspace due to the condition of space around it.

Taking a seat, he began to read them. The ship had flown straight into some type of space turbulence. The computer was reading it as an ion storm.

Looking out through the window he could see the variety of colors from the nebula. He knew he would be flying close to it...but somehow the ship had veered slightly off course nearly right into it. He figured it was probably the storm's interference.

The ship shuddered again and he grabbed the controls to keep it on course and steady. His mouth tightened as the vessel seemed to almost fight his grip. Sweat began to soak his skin as the shaking became considerably worse. As the seconds became minutes, the youth's strength failed and one last jolt nearly flung the Padawan out of his seat. Thankfully the harness kept him in the pilot's chair, but his head still was knocked hard against the side of the ship's wall and upon impact, Qui-Gon fell swiftly into the blackness of unfeeling unconsciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Master Obi-Wan Kenobi was finishing some tea in the kitchenette of the borrowed cruiser when his apprentice Anakin Skywalker, called him back to the cockpit.

Entering through the doorway, Obi-Wan looked on the console with concern. "What's wrong?"

Anakin frowned as he pointed out the viewport. "There's a ship just drifting i

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay :) You started posting it Master! Hope folks like our interpretations of the characters!

I'm juz taking the reins on Anya/Dooku/Palps-Sid [face_worried] Obi (yeah I'm trying my hand at Obi) hope I don't mess the poor chap up too much!

Master is handling Qui/Ani/Yoda/Han'yaie/Mace

We're alternating other characters. Sit back and enjoy our take bwhahahaha on AotC!! Fresh buttery popcorn for all!

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent start ladies.

Any story that has a surviving Qui-Gon has got to be good! :) :)

4. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    I keep my word. :D

Okay, first, I absolutely love time travelling ficcies [face_love] I think it's the only genre that I can read with any characters involved ;)

As for this post, excellent start. I loved the Ani/Obi banter.

"Oh I don't know Master, it might be fun to tell the Council you got sucked out of an airlock," Anakin said cheekily before pressurizing the area.

Heehee.

And now you've made me wonder want young Qui is gonna be like [face_thinking] especially around Anakin :D

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, I can't wait for more on this one. :) I love AU stories. :)

6. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Wow, laurie, I followed you all the way out here to the Saga forums...*shudder* with the looming Anakin head over us, like a great curly bird of ill omen...but, alas, it was worth it! nice job with this! It reminds me a bit of Marnie Goodbody's ficcie with young Qui timetravelish-you remember that, from back in the good ol' days? I like it! Your Obi is very fun, although an Anakin even well written frightens me...but good job! Can't wait for more, update!

7. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Healer_Leona
    Thanks! We have had fun working this fic. Not as easy as we first thought it would be though considering AotC plotline and such!

Yepper! Gotta have Qui in it :D

Pallas-Athena
    Yeah I've always thought time traveling ones were pretty nifty as well! :D

Yes we had fun doing the bantering too. Gotta have it with those two!

We're also kind'a out on the loop as to how Qui will act around Ani. Guess we'll get to that once it arises ;)

Sara_Kenobi
    Thanks for swinging in!

AUs have always been fun! Cuz anything can happen then!

Charmisjess
    [face_laugh] almost a miracle in itself with Layren posting here!

*Whew* glad you're liking Obi so far! He's somewhat hard to handle for me! ;)

I gave my Master Anakin [face_mischief] Weeeeeel in actuality she gave me Obi and she took Anakin 8-} but I don't mind :D

Thanks for reading too!

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Will wonders never cease??? Layren and Kynstar posting a collab in the SAGA??? :eek: I just don't believe it!

I better fan myself like any good southern belle and ask for my smelling salts!

Bravo! =D=

9. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Excellent start! [face_dancing] I can't wait to see what Qui does in this world.

I have to admit I've seen a tiny, tiny sneak peek and I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE! :D

10. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    *faints* Layen and Kynstar in the Saga?

AHHHH!!!! Timetravel/paradoxishy stuff!!! Something tells me I'm going to end up confused.... actually, I am confused. How the heck did Qui end up in this time period?

Uh-oh.... if Qui doesn't get back to his own time... that means he doesn't grow up and train Obi... which means that technically, Obi and Ani shouldn't be there right now....

Okay, I'm going to stop before I confuse myself.

Great start, ladies, can't wait to see more!!!! :)

~Jenn

11. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    This should be good! :D

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Since this is ca. Clone Wars, what if they think that he's a clone, especially with Dooku behind so much of the whole separatist mess...

Anyway, hmm... this'll make things complicated.

13. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh, Lady Kynstar, *bows in apology* I didn't realize this was a co-author! Must have been distracted by the floating Anakin on the banner... *shudders* but my apologies! :) Yes, your Obi is quite lovely, hehe, you have captured him very well!

14. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Okay, I am reading instead of doing language homework - again. Anyhow ...

Great start - can't wait to see how Qui reacts to finding out he is dead. If this isn't AU as to what Dooku becomes, Qui is going to be devastated. This is an interesting mix to throw together. I look forward to see how this develops.

15. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    VaderLVR I was hoping you would swing by :D As you can see I have bowed to the inevitable ;) Hehehe I am posting on Saga! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tangled_sphere Who authorized this sneak peek!? LOL j/k I'm glad you got a preview and are sticking around ;) It's gonna get dicey later :D Thanks for reading!

CodeName_Targeter I figured I might as well since my name is known here now ;)

Good thoughts and questions but just be patient ;) All will be revealed soon :D

BrokenNoseofQui-Gon Thanks for reading! We hope it is!

DarthIshtar GOod thought but so far they don't know about the whole clone mess just yet. Dooku is causing trouble but this is before the clone army is discovered. Obi-Wan does not want to believe that Qui might actually be telling the truth about who he is.
    Thanks for reading!

Charmisjess I accidentally forgot in my overexcitedness to post to put her name in the title -- my humblest apologies, to you and my padawan learner.

Master_Noi Qui-Gon is definetely not going to be pleased when he finds out what Dooku has become but as he thinks on it perhaps he has a purpose here that might change Dooku's fate ;) Thanks for reading!

16. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Wow, need more.

17. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Oh, very intriguing, ladies. Looking forward to more. :D

18. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    sorry it's taken me so long to get my reply in!! please forgive me girls!!

this is a great story idea!! wow--what a shock for everyone! i love the twist and i can't wait to see what you do with this!! :D

19. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    ZaraValinor
    Howdies! Well more is coming right on up! :D

Gina
    More to come! Hey great to see ya swinging by! :D Hope you enjoy!

SarkaVrae
    Hey Padawan Sis! [:D] Waz up?! :D

No problem ;) Twists is the keyword throughout this fic! :D Glad you're enjoying it so far!

Master wanted an extreme long post so I've broken it into two posts for easier reading. Enjoy!

____

Qui-Gon's face went white at what the Master said. "What? That's impossible. Is this some kind of sick joke?"

Obi-Wan chuckled sarcastically. "That is what I had thought at first too. That or a trap." He had to sit down, this was just too much.

Grabbing the chair that was at the back wall, the Master brought it near the bed and sat down heavily.

Qui-Gon too decided to sit down. He was numb with shock. What has changed in the time that he was now in?

Sitting up straighter, Obi-Wan's stern eyes observed the youth in question. "I will contact the Temple to see what they are going to want to do with this matter. This is a serious issue that can not be taken lightly."

Qui-Gon flinched at the harsh tone of the Master's voice. "Of course it is serious. I'm here and supposed to be dead," he snapped.

"If...if you are him." The Cerulean eyes turned to steel echoing his voice.

"Why are you so hostile to the idea that I could be who I say I am?" He asked, narrowing his gaze.

Anakin glanced from his Master to the apprentice with narrowed eyes. He had already come to the conclusion that this boy was who he claimed to be, why in the Force was his Master being so stubborn about coming to the same conclusion? He doesn?t want to believe. But why not? If anything I would think he would be pleased that he could have a chance to have again what he lost. Anakin thought swallowing a lump in his throat that formed at that idea.

He too, had been devastated when Master Jinn had died, but now an opportunity presented itself to get to know the Master before he had been the man Anakin had known, which he intended to take full advantage of. It wouldn?t be the same, he knew, but it would help him bury unsettled feelings and emotions.

"Because it just isn't...it can't..." Obi-Wan's voice choked up as the old memories that he had stashed away washed through him. Anguish twisted his cold expression for a moment as the eyes reflected pain.

"Why can't it? Couldn't the Force have a purpose for my being here?" he asked.

The Master eyed the youth once more before quickly getting up out of the chair and putting some distance between himself and the supposedly younger Qui-Gon. "I can't believe it?" Obi-Wan nearly whispered.

Qui-Gon's gaze became hard. "Fine then. I'm going to go meditate as I'm obviously in the way," he stomped away intending to find the observatory so he could look out at the stars.

Anakin gave Obi-Wan a hard look as Qui-Gon stomped out. "Why won't you believe him Master? He's telling the truth."

"I don't know Anakin...I am not going to..." Obi-Wan's voice caught as another wave of grief tore through him. "We have some problems, young one. I'm going to have to have Han'yaie check to see if this is...." Obi-Wan could not think down this line. He shook himself and continued on. "We have to be careful, Padawan...he is Force-sensitive...We'll keep a good watch on him. We're near enough to Coruscant I'll notify the Council of our find, but not say 'who' he claims to be."

Anakin bristled at the idea. "I believe him."

"We can not assume, Padawan," There was a slight warning tone to the Master's voice.

"I am not assuming, Master," Anakin snapped back. "If you would reach out and feel you would know."

For the first time in almost a decade, the sadness broke through his shielding and was tinged with a slight fear. "I can not?will not believe?not without further proof." But even at that his voice was lacking assurance.

Anakin huffed irritably. "As you wish."

Obi-Wan sighed. "Re plot our coordinates for Coruscant and tow that ship back with us." He said ab

20. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Several hours later Qui-Gon decided he was hungry. He slid off the bed and wandered into the kitchenette to see about what he could find and found Anakin already there. "Hi," he greeted the other Padawan somewhat warily wondering if the other believed he was a threat also.

Anakin had put the tractor beam on the smaller craft and re-plotted the coordinates for Coruscant back into the computer. The ship wasn?t going to be able to get to their destination earlier than two days. This was disappointing to the apprentice because he had mentioned to his Master that he would be able to. ?Blast these engines?now if I could get my hands on them?I bet I could fix them!? He chuckled as he got the package from the cabinet along with a bowl and his thoughts drifted on how he could increase this ship?s power capacities out put. When Qui-Gon?s voice interrupted his musings, his far off expression faded to a bright smile. "Hey.? He paused and motioned to a large bowl that he had put in the heating unit. ?Want some? I was preparing myself some soup."

Qui-Gon nodded a little. "That sounds very good, thanks." He blushed sheepishly. "I don't know how to use the quick cooker. They've changed since I used one."

If the other youth's blue eyes could have sparkled even further with enthusiasm, they did at the mentioning of the technology.

"Well it hasn't really all that much in the last ten years...but yeah if you are...what? My age? Yeah what that would be technically around 42 years ago..." Anakin tapped his chin lightly in thought and smirked as he nodded. "Yep, a lot probably has changed in that time span," He chuckled again as the unit signaled that it was done.

Taking out the bowl with a cloth in order not burn himself, he then reached back into the cabinet and got out a two smaller bowls for them to use.

"Yes according to this ship's schematics, this unit is only about ten years old. They've increased the heating capacity...so things get cooked more quickly." He poured them each equal servings and found two spoons. Smiling, he gave one to Qui-Gon.

"I'm eighteen," Qui-Gon said around a mouthful of soup. "How about you?" He asked, interested. "I just had my birthday a few weeks ago."

Anakin nodded. "Figured you were near my age." His smile then wavered slightly. "Well...that is when you...well when the older you died..." His expression saddened and he quickly looked down to concentrate on his soup for a few moments. "Well, I'm 20."

Qui-Gon looked at Anakin at the way he said that. "How old was I? What happened then?" He asked even as he ate his soup.

Anakin's head shot up as his face paled slightly. I don't think I should tell him everything...if anything... "Umm you were around 60 I think the records state...I never really got the chance to ask your age..." he strayed off as he looked back down at his soup with interest. "As to what happened...I better not say."

Qui-Gon huffed in irritation wishing that Anakin would tell him but realized with some bitterness that if he was a threat then he wouldn't be told anything. He returned his attention to his soup.

Silence filled the room, but Anakin?s quiet admittance broke the stillness as two crystal blue eyes looked up from the bowl. ?I believe you.?

Qui-Gon looked up quickly at that. He furrowed his brow. "But your Master doesn't."

Anakin actually snorted at that. ?He wouldn?t believe in a lot of things until one of them nearly reaches out and nabs him.? Sighing, Anakin pushed away his now empty bowl.

?It?s difficult to explain why he can not?or won?t. I?I?ll let him do that.? He paused and looked back into Qui-Gon?s face. ?I believe you because I can feel that it is true. I sense that you are indeed Qui-Gon Jinn?but younger. As to how you got here?now that is interesting. As to why?well we could always blame it on the Force. Master Yoda always does.? He snickered as he got up from the table and put his bowl in the sink.

"I can think of no other explanation for my being here," He said concealing with difficulty the rush of gra

21. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    It's hard to blame Obi-Wan for being skeptical. I mean, he watched the man die, and now his younger self is sitting in front of him...it can't be easy to believe and accept. I also felt bad for Qui-Gon. He has no idea what's going on and someone is telling him he's supposed to be dead and that he is a security threat and will probably be locked away in a cell. That's a lot to take in at one time.

I can't wait to see where you ladies take this story. :)

22. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I like this. Qui Gon being there was definitely a surprise. And Obi Wan's hesitation is understandable. I don't know what I'd do in a situation like that.

I like the way Qui Gon and Anakin interact with one another. I just have this feeling that they're going to end up in trouble, later on. Anakin's bragging about being a mechanic I can totally see and oh, I just liked it all, really.

So please update when you can. I'm quite intrigued on how this is going to progress.

23. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Poor Obi-Wan. I say that because he's trying to figure out what is happening and is skeptical about it, but also because he now has his hands full. Not only does he have his own padawan, but now has Padawan Qui-Gon to deal with, and I can only imagine how those two could be together.

24. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Gina Yes Obi-Wan is having a very tough time of it. He doesn't want to believe what's right in front of him, afraid of being hurt again. Qui-Gon too isn't much better. So much has changed from what he knows that he's very unsure of his place right now and very happy to have Anakin there to be friendly and helpful.

Alethia Hello and welcome to the boards! I'm glad you like how we did Anakin and Qui-Gon. That was a last minute insertion that wasn't in the original draft and we were very happy with the way it turned out. Thanks for reading!

Master_Noi Obi-Wan has a lot to deal with right now. He never really buried the issues with Qui-Gon's last request and now it's all coming to the forefront. He needs to confront this as it's been simmering way too long. Thanks for the beta and thank you for reading!

25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Great stuff. I can really see where Ani and Quigon would have been matched in personalities and am glad to see them have the chance to relate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.