main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Excerpts from the Diary of a Handmaiden 2--Fighting Stance--Yane's Diary

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by princess-sari, Feb 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Well, I was going to wait to post this, especially since those last entries are not coming along as well I'd like. Also, I was trying to come up with a better title. But, I think I've kept everyone waiting long enough, so here it is!

Author: Yané, Handmaiden to Queen Amidala of the Naboo
    (edited and posted by princess-sari) ;)
    Disclaimer: Star Wars is owned by George Lucas and Lucasfilm, Ltd. No money is being made off this story.

Editor?s Note: This is the second Diary of a Handmaiden. The first was Saché?s Diary and it can be found at the link below. I recommend reading it first, because Yané refers to some things that are described in Saché?s diary and not explained here.

First Fanfic?I Will Wait?Excerpts from the Diary of a Handmaiden:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1780595

Also, the numbers inserted throughout the text are not typos?the numbers are leftovers from the excellent encryption program on the datapad containing Yané?s diary.

Finally, I'd like to dedicate this to everybody who read and posted on Sache's diary--this story wouldn't have been written if not for you. (Okay, that's sappy, but it's also true.) :p

~Excerpts from the Diary of a Handmaiden 2?Fighting Stance?Yané?s Diary~
    Valorum has assured Padmé that he is sending two Jedi to help us get rid of the Trade Federation. Well, he didn?t put123541 it that way, of course. But I?m not a politician or a diplomat and I hate the Trade Federation, so that?s how I?m goi1138ng to say it. I just hope the Jedi are as good as Valorum seems to think. I?m pretty excited. I mean, I?ve never actually met a Jedi before and I wonder wha132348713t they?ll be like. I can?t wait to see their lightsabers, *if* we even get the chance. Padmé is hoping the situation can be re12323487862123695842265855solved without fighting.

Personally, although I can?t admit this to anyone but my diary, I think a fight would be nice for a change. If anybody reads that, they?ll probably have a fit. We Naboo are known for our peacefulness. But what?s th122563325855e point of all the training we had on how to fight if we never use it? What is the point of having elite bodyguards disguised as simple handmaidens if you never use them?

It?s a good thing I?m good at encr22664588yption, otherwise I?d always be afraid someone would find and read this and have me up for treason or sedition or something.

More tomorrow!!

2. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Interesting, I take it the random numbers in there was supposed to be uncracked encryption. Unique twist, I liked it. Also I think you nailed down her personality pretty well.

Great start, Sari! I'll be gone for the weekend, but when I get back I'll try to ctach up as fast as I can! I'll be starting a new fic of my own on monday, so I'll be pretty busy.

3. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    Very nice, sari! I'm glad you've decided to start this. I like the encryption bit; nice touch. :)

4. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Nifty! I like Yané's feisty personality -- kind of a foil for Saché. :)

5. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Hey, that's really good! I love the encryption bit. And Cindé is exactly right... Yané is a foil for Saché! Heh... never thought I'd use that word outside of Com101 where we saw Leartes as being Hamlet's foil. ;)

Btw.... I loved this bit:
    It?s a good thing I?m good at encr22664588yption, otherwise I?d always be afraid someone would find and read this and have me up for treason or sedition or something.

~*~Bria

6. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Oops, forgot some. FIGHTING STANCE- I love that title! It fits so well with feisty Yané. =^_^=

~*~Bria

7. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    I agree, "Fighting Stance" is a great title. Quite suitable, as it sounds a little sad too.

Excellent start Sari. You've extablished her character very well. I look forward to more!

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    YEAH! UP!!

Personaly, I don't get the encryption thing, but that's the blonde half of me speaking...

9. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I'd explain it Miana Kenobi, if I had half a brain left, but after a night of 4 hours of sleep, school, computer for a few hours, work, computer for 4 1/2 hours, my brain is fried.

This 'lil Minnesotan is going to bed. Hopefully there will be a new entry when I get online tomorrow. :)

~*~Bria

10. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Excellant title! Hope you've got more soon :)

11. MoonScribe

MoonScribe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2000
    That is a great title, princess_sari! More, please!!! :)

12. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Heheh Bria...I'm an English major -- I use words like "foil" in my everyday language. Pretty scary, huh?

I'm eager for more, as always! :D

13. Melne_Crtor

Melne_Crtor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    Yay, Sari! This rules! I love the little "1138" inserted in the word "going." I assume the other numbers are merely random typing (or are they people's phone numbers? Or what?), but that one made my day. Keep going -- I think Yané'll going to contrast (or "foil") with Saché quite nicely. I wonder if we'll find out more about where they come from and the handmaiden selection process? Anyhoo, post more!

14. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Thanks for the comments Rokangus, Marie, Cinde, Bria, imzadi, Miana, Jemmiah, MoonScribe, and Melne!!

I'm glad you liked the title, even if I wasn't sure about it. And Yane is definitely supposed to be a foil for Sache. (In fact, Yane sort of refers to that herself.)

Glad you liked the encryption, too!
    Miana--I wanted to do something different than the ~~~~----~~^^^^~~~~~^--- that were supposed to symbolize torn pages in Sache's diary. I figured Yane would use a datapad instead, and to sort of depict that, I stuck numbers inside, as if when somebody hacked into it, they couldn't decode it completely and the numbers remained.

Bria--glad you liked that line! I wanted Yane to have a little more humor in hers, as opposed to Sache's, which was pretty intense.

Melne--you noticed the 1138! I couldn't resist! The other numbers are (so far) just random, but I may try to stick a few more in there, if I can think of any...
    As far as the handmaidens' past and selection process, I haven't really got anything planned yet. Maybe when I look at that guide that MoonScribe mentioned on the other thread I'll get some info to use. Or maybe I'll just make something up. ;)

But you reminded me that I did want to let you guys know that if there's anything in particular you'd like to see, I'd love to hear it. I will consider anything and try to include it!! :)

Here's the next post:

1235715546123137654312327432Well, I haven?t had any time to myself for days, what with the Trade Federation blockade and the expected arrival of the Jedi, but now Padmé, Sabé, Rabé, and Eirtaé have left. Saché and I are4567321323alone in our quarters, with battle-droids guarding our doors and the sound of blaster-fire floating in through the windows rather than the normal sounds of bird-song and laughing voices.

I know that what is happening is very serious, but I am also very excited. When I was told I had been chos56456753en to be a handmaiden for the Queen, I was so sure it would be exciting. Instead, it?s been one formal dinner after another, and a347741324567lot of waiting and standing around and being silent and quiet and not *doing* anything.

I?m sick of it. I want some action. Which is why I wish Padmé would have taken all of us along. But, no, of co137486765423123urse I?d be left behind with Saché. Don?t get me wrong?I like Saché, but she isn?t very much fun. I get the feeling she sees this as being just plain terrible, and not exciting *at all.*

She keeps telling me, ?Yané, it is very important that we uphold the Queen?s honor. The people will look to us as her23787423123789611384532137only representatives while she?s gone. We must show them that they can still put their trust in her to save Naboo.?

What a bore! The best thing for us to do would be to fight! We have blasters and I?m sure we could fight o5464ur way out of the Palace and find a Resistance cell and start fighting the Trade Federation *now.* That way whe142765245n Padmé returns, their will already be a plan in place and her supporters will already be organized.

Of course, I have said none of this to Saché. If there?s one thing I?ve le2387512312345683arned in the last months of service to the Queen, it?s how to keep my mouth shut. That has never been one of my strong points, but necessity is the m3254356other of invention. Does that expression make sense here? Oh, well, 123476you know what I mean.

Saché is calling me?*again*...

15. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Great start Sari! I like the way the characters' are being portrayed. More!

16. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    "What a bore!"

Heehee -- I think I'm going to like Yané in this story. :)

17. Melne_Crtor

Jul 9, 2000
    Yeah, well, another wicked post. What are we to do? We can't come up with original pleas for more on such a regular basis, y'know. More?

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    OH!! (little lightbulb goes on in head)

okay...

hey, i spotted 1138 again!

19. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    Good job, princess-sari.

20. Bria

May 15, 1999
    This is so cool! I love your Yané! Especially this: If there?s one thing I?ve le2387512312345683arned in the last months of service to the Queen, it?s how to keep my mouth shut. That has never been one of my strong points, but necessity is the m3254356other of invention. It's nice to know that the GFFA has our little sayings. ;)

For other #s... hmm.. theres 327 (landing platform on Cloud City), 94 (Docking bay in ANH), 422, the # of the stormtropper Han stole the armor from in ANH, 1023 Davin Felth (Look Sir, Droids) number, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, 2005 for the years Star Wars movies came/come out, and...... 921!!! Heh... ok, so it's an EU (Han Solo Tril) number, but I for one like it... who would've thunk?!?

~*~Bria

21. Marie_Jadewalker

Nov 14, 2000
    Very nice, sari! Yane is the perfect foil for Sache. I especially liked the way she wanted to break out and join a resistance movement. :~) I can hardly wait to see what happens next!

22. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Welcome, Calamity and CoP! (BTW, Calamity--love your website!!)

And thanks for the comments, Cinde, Melne, Miana, Bria and Marie!!

Bria, believe it or not, I didn't put all those numbers in there on purpose! I thought I was just typing in random numbers, other than the 1138...Weird, huh?!?

I'm glad you guys like Yane--I tried to do something really different with her and wasn't sure how she'd come across. So I'm glad she seems to be a success! :)

Here's the next post:
    For once, Saché and I agree236598981796563244 about something. Gov. Bibble sent a message to Padmé?s ship today, telling her that our people are dying and she ?must contact us.? If it hadn?t been for the months of training I?ve had recently, I think I would have decked him. What a stupid thing to do! Saché feels the same way. We are both wo 2357486986543 rried that Padmé will listen to Bibble and either respond or come back.

Argh! It just makes me so mad! The whole reason she left in the first place was bec235667ause our people are dying. She didn?t need Bibble to tell her that. Honestly, I know Padmé respects Bibble and takes his adv32456753ice sometimes, but I think he can be pretty foolish, to put it politely. She?s usually ten steps ahead of him anyway, and I don?t know why she listens to him at all.

Well, anyone reading this would think I was pretty mean-spirited. I can?t help it, though. I mean, I *like* Bibble. 811235748642132And Saché, Eirtaé, Rabé, and Sabé, not to mention Padmé, have become like sisters to me. But sometimes all the propriety of being a handmaiden gets to be too much and I have to have a way to let it all out. Exercise helps (there?s nothing like sinking your fist into a punching bag while imagining it?s the face of whoever is getting on your nerves at the moment to make you feel better) but somet2651367565992135786imes I really need to talk it out. And since I can?t do that, I use this trusty datapad instead. So, just for posterity, in case anyone ever reads this, you are seeing me at my worst! I am not generally this type of horrible person!

Okay, I feel better now, h23820021453aving explained all that.

23. Melne_Crtor

Jul 9, 2000
    Great post, Sari! But wasn't it a little contradictory? In the first part, she said that she was encrypting the diary so no one could read it. But now she's worried about people reading it and thinking she's a bitch? Oh, well, maybe it's just a psychological response, that she has to justify her actions (or words, in this case) despite the fact that she's "talking" to a datapad. In any event, it was awesome -- I want to see how she feels when Padmé and Co. show up and she gets to fight! More!

24. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Good point, Melne, but I was sort of going from personal experience. Going back over my own diary, I find those kinds of comments--I hope no one ever reads this, but if they do... Maybe I'm the only one who does this?

Also, Yane is sort of talking out her feelings (she uses the dairy as an outlet for her most negative thoughts, and she feels guilty about the way she's talked about everybody) and needs to explain this, to herself as well as any possible future readers. Does that make sense?

Thanks for pointing that out, though!! I appreciate any comments to help me improve my writing!

25. Marie_Jadewalker

Nov 14, 2000
    sari, I understand completely about the need to explain yourself in a diary even though you don't expect anyone else to read it. If nothing else, you're doing it for yourself so when you look back at it you don't think you were like that all the time. Oh, it was a great post, by the way! I loved her reaction to Gov. Bibble. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.