main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends So Fleeting-A Very Brief Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    So Fleeting
    A Vignette by LuvEwan

Rated G, a thoroughly boring and mushy G. What can I say? I was stuck on everything else I have going. This is probably one of the shortest things I've ever written. :D

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

Qui-Gon reflects on his Padawan.

--

He doesn?t sleep well. At least, not anymore.

When he was younger, he could doze off anywhere, under any condition. In adulthood, the solace of slumber is rare for him, even when surrounded in the soft darkness of his quarters, beneath thick, familiar blankets.

I know he struggles. I know he will never tell me of it.

But I can sense it through our connection; I see it in the shadows that cling to the skin beneath his eyes.

He?s sleeping now, as the moon and I play dual sentinels, as the air drifts a subtle breeze. He?s lying on his side, turned away from me. His skin appears strained in the cast of sallow, midnight light.

Shadows are everywhere, pooling in the creases of the curtains, staining all they touch.

Yet, his luminosity is untainted. He is Light, always. This, he will understand, when he releases the self-doubt. He will understand, and it is then that he will become incredible.

I?m sitting on the edge of his bed, looking down at him. I wish I could etch the details into my mind, to have it with me, to go to it in the lonely days when I no longer have a pupil to guide. I will be an old man, the best of my life gone into war-torn fields and drafty conference chambers. It will happen soon. And memories such as these, of watching him sleep, will be the pages curled by countless turnings. The tomes will be stacked around me, once he walks, tall and alone, onto the same hearth of duty.

He sighs, falling slowly onto his back, and kicks at the covers.

I reach out with tentative fingers, to still him, to restore the flawless tableau.

And his eyes are suddenly open. There is cerulean shining through the late hour?s pall. A gentle suggestion of a smile, for he is traipsing through the fog between sleep and awareness, and is oblivious enough to find no reason to question my audience to his waking.

I reflect that smile.

He clears his throat and wipes at his face. ?Was I snoring?? He wonders in a heavily garbled tone.

I laugh. ?No. But you were making plenty of noise in my head.?

?Noise?? His forehead crinkles, then smoothes as embarrassed clarity reaches his gaze. ?I?m?I?m sorry. I?ve been dreaming, I think.? He compresses his lips. ?I can?t see much and it doesn?t?it doesn?t last very long. But then, it lingers. Like a bad taste, or a film on my skin.?

I frown, and lay my palm on the curve of his temple. Obi-Wan isn?t prone to fantasy, and he certainly doesn?t brood over it. His eyes are fixed on me, waiting for acknowledgement. Acceptance. ?Dreams pass in time,? I say at last, and straighten the braid trailing down his chest.

He doesn?t respond to that, and we exist in companionable silence for awhile.

?Master?? He whispers.

?Yes??

?Are they always?? He pauses, and his eyes drop from mine, ?Just dreams??

?I suppose they?re never just dreams, Padawan. Under examination, they always have some value, something to do with our deeper thoughts.? I study the troubled lines that compose his visage, ?Why? What have you been dreaming about??

He only shakes his head.

I flatten a hand against the side of his face and he leans into it, eyelids sinking shut.

I am struck by my concurrent loyalty and hatred of the Jedi. They have given me this single, overwhelming joy?but they will take it away. And I have to question if anyone is meant for such a cruel thing. The Order forbids attachment, but its very foundation relies on relationships. Master and apprentice.

But perhaps others are able to let go easier.

I see him, and I am compelled to hold on.

I want to hold on.

?Obi-Wan??

?Hmmm?? He breathes.

Don?t leave me. You?re all I have. Don?t ever leave me. ?Rest well,? I say instead, and stroke the silken hair as he fades to sleep once

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    [breathes deeply] Oh wow. Poor Qui, who can't hold on to the moment forever.

I guess I needed that. {What was that about boring and mushy??!! Gah. I condemn you to an existence in which you will write-and write-and write - and gratify my/our senses.} :D

3. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    That was beautiful LE! Those images, shadows staining as Qui looks down at his Padawan. So sweet [face_love] Don't leave me... You've captured them so well.

4. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    That was wonderful, LE. Every time I read one of your stories I marvel at the imagery. It's like sitting in the room with them, observing their actions and their thoughts. And you've managed to write an extraordinary vignette about a feeling that everyone knows. The quote about the dreams was very well-included (that's probably not even a word). I mean that it didn't feel forced to have it there. Qui-Gon's reflections on his loyalty to the Order were really beautifully handled.

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Boring? Mushy? Never. That was lovely as always. Your language is superb but I tell you that all the time because it always is. I loved that Qui-Gon sat there, both loyal and hating the Jedi for the attachment rule. One that he can't follow because he loves Obi-Wan.

Loved the last line. Very shivery!

Great job! =D=

6. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    I really love your story! You always write so well...snif! [grabs a tissue]
    Well done once again LE! :)
    MK

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Short but sweet! Wow. Hefty too there with all the underlying mystery ;)

Well done! :D Those poor guys, both have dreamed something that probably will come to be.

Loved the ending Because I too, have dreamed. And I don?t like what I see.

8. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Just what I needed to ready today.

I just love your characterization of Qui-Gon as well as the dialogue. It fits him very well. This is a wonderful short story. Simple, yet so full of emotion.

Beautiful job, LE!

9. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    I lurv very much. Sweet and poignant. Sad, too. Sometimes we need mush breaks. [face_smile]

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwww

I thought I had posted a review on this before but I guess I didn't -- excellent job, LE that was just lovely!

11. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Can't say much other than, that was great.

12. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Princess_Arulmozhi I only wish I could be condemned to such an existence! [face_praying]

t_s Thank you. [:D]

Indra *blinks* :eek: *blinks again* Well, what can I say except thank you, very much.

diane I had to add the last line, to take away from their happiness. [face_devil] Oh, I'm just kidding...

KAYM Thank you! :)

Kynstar Thankee kindly for the review here and 'there'. ;)

ObiTheKid Thank you for the PM. [:D]

maychorian Gotta love those mush breaks. :D

Layren Thank you. :)

jodiwent Thanks. ;)

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    *releases heavy sigh*

I feel the same weight on my chest that Qui-Gon must feel.

I am struck by my concurrent loyalty and hatred of the Jedi. They have given me this single, overwhelming joy?but they will take it away. And I have to question if anyone is meant for such a cruel thing. The Order forbids attachment, but its very foundation relies on relationships. Master and apprentice. , an incredibly profound and accurate statement. That really is so very telling.

Amazing mush LuvEwan.

14. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Oh very nice! I too liked very much the lines others have already mentioned but I want to highlight a couple of other lines that seemed to me to resonate like a perfectly true note from a bell.

I'm so impressed by ... the best of my life gone into war-torn fields and drafty conference chambers. and ... memories such as these, of watching him sleep, will be the pages curled by countless turnings. The tomes will be stacked around me, once he walks, tall and alone, onto the same hearth of duty.

=D=

KD

15. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I didn't expect such nice reviews from people concerning this. :)

Healer_Leona Thank you. [face_love] The thing about writing mush is that once you start, it seems to restart an addiction. :D Your head starts filling with all sorts of ideas. ;)

KD You're very generous to say that. :) Thank you.

16. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I'm always thrilled when I see you've posted a viggie :)

You cram so much feeling into such few words. Love the mood/tone you created here. Very sweet, but foreboding as well. I like Qui in this light.

--shan

17. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    That was wonderful! You have such a beautiful, lyrical writing style.

I am struck by my concurrent loyalty and hatred of the Jedi. They have given me this single, overwhelming joy?but they will take it away. And I have to question if anyone is meant for such a cruel thing. The Order forbids attachment, but its very foundation relies on relationships. Master and apprentice.

Well put! The Order IS built on relationships, relationships similar to that of a parent/child, and it is impossible not to experience attachment as a result.

I also liked the use of "Dreams pass in time." It added a nice "history" to the phrase. Also liked the eerie foreshadowing at the end.

Again, wonderful viggie! :)

18. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Gina Thank you very much. :)

19. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Wow...sop forboding at the end. Nice use of "Dreams pass in time" I always though Obi was using one of Qui's lines when he said that in AOTC.

*applaudes*

20. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I didn't post on this one? I know I read and enjoyed it.

I'm losing my mind (again)...

more viggies??

21. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    shan I don't know how I missed you. You posted before Gina. Sorry. I wasn't trying to slight you. ;) Thank you so much. [:D]

Arwen :) Thanks!

PK Uh-oh. You're losing it. :p Yes, many more vignettes, centering around Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon anyway. They have their own thread now. 8-}

22. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    what an incredible viggie!

It was short, but had a powerful impact.. I always thought Jedi visions were creepy, never knowing whether they'd come true or not..so the ending bit was especially haunting.

I love how you conveyed Qui-Gon's feelings for Obi-Wan and the Jedi Order.

Loved it! [face_love] [face_dancing]

23. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    And memories such as these, of watching him sleep, will be the pages curled by countless turnings. The tomes will be stacked around me, once he walks, tall and alone, onto the same hearth of duty.

[:D] Sigh... This reminds me of watching my own daughter sleeping when she was a baby... Time simply flies, and we're never ready...

Wonderful as always. =D=

Thank you for these moments of sheer bliss in the Star Wars Universe. [face_batting]

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    How did I miss THIS gorgeous piece of work???? I LOVED it! =D= And I needed that this morning! [:D]

25. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    oh...thats just gorgeous right there...the imagery..staining shadows...very nice. And the fact that Obi doesn't question his Master's prescence when he wakes....*hug*[face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.