main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Faltering Paths (JA Qui/Obi Fluff Vignette ) First Day Fic Challenge Response

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Title: Faltering Paths
    Author: Layren
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, OC's
    Timeframe: JA
    Summary: Obi-Wan struggles with his seeming inability to please his new Master.
    Author Notes: This was written in response to the First Day Fic Challenge posted by Sara_Kenobi in the Writer's Resource forum.

Twelve-year-old, newly apprenticed Obi-Wan Kenobi panted as he lugged his belongings from the crèche to his new quarters that he shared with his Master, Qui-Gon Jinn. He could hardly believe his luck at being apprenticed to such a great Master, but now the nervousness was setting in. What if he wasn?t what the Master wanted and the Jedi decided to dismiss him?

It was a frightening thought that he forced himself to push away. He?s not going to dismiss you on your first day, Kenobi, he told himself sternly.

?Obi-Wan,? his Master?s voice broke into his thoughts. ?Do you need any help moving your things??

?No, Master I think I have it now,? he said breathlessly.

Qui-Gon nodded his approval. ?Well, get set up and let me know if you need any help. I?m just working on a report.?

?Yes, Master,? Obi-Wan said with a smile. He relished at the feel of those words on his lips. He had a Master and everything would be alright now.

~~~~~~~~~~

?Again, Padawan,? Qui-Gon instructed watching Obi-Wan work his way through the first of the beginning apprentice katas later that evening.

Obi-Wan was frustrated at his seeming inability to please his Master on the beginning apprentice katas. If I can?t handle these, there?s no way he?ll want to teach me the later ones.

He tried again and Qui-Gon called a halt. ?No, you?re not using your right arm there properly, padawan.?

Obi-Wan?s face fell. It had been sometime since he?d had to do the katas. He had hoped he could please his Master by the end of the day, but so far all his Master had done was to make him redo the same kata over and over again.

Obi-Wan sighed. It appeared his Master was a tough taskmaster and it was only the first day.

?Why don?t we leave the lesson here for today?? Qui-Gon suggested. ?I?m going to be in the gardens for awhile meditating. Why don?t you go back to our quarters and get cleaned up.? The tone of Qui-Gon?s voice indicated that it was not a request.

?Yes, Master,? Obi-Wan said.

?Good, I?ll be there soon,? Qui-Gon said as he turned away and headed to the gardens to think and cool off.

Obi-Wan watched him go and sighed heavily as he trudged back to their quarters.

In the corridor on the way back he bumped into his Master's closest friend, Master Kyran Josel. He?d met Master Josel the day before and smiled politely as the other bowed. ?Obi-Wan, have you seen Qui-Gon??

?He was going to the gardens to meditate and cool down. I think I upset him,? he sighed heavily.

?Upset him?? Kyran looked concerned. ?It?s only the first day of your apprenticeship?he can?t be upset already.? A thoughtful look crossed his face. ?Why don?t we go talk in your quarters?? He suggested as he put a hand on the apprentice?s shoulder and steered him in that direction.

?Yes, Master Josel,? Obi-Wan agreed.

Kyran laughed. ?Not so formal, Obi-Wan. My name is Kyran?unless you?ve forgotten??

Obi-Wan managed a small smile as they headed into the quarters he shared with Qui-Gon.

?Something is troubling you, young one. It?s easy to spot. What?s the matter?? Kyran asked once they had entered.

Obi-Wan hesitated. ?I?m sorry, Master Josel, I don?t mean to sound upset, but there is something bothering me.? He sighed. ?I worry about not being good enough. So far, I can?t seem to get even the beginning katas right. I?m afraid he?ll push me away and regret his decision to accept me.?

Kyran?s face wore a very kind smile. ?You?ll learn soon enough, Obi-Wan. Let me guess, Qui-Gon?s brooding again in the gardens and you think it?s your fault??

Obi-Wan bit his lip then nodded reluctantly.

Kyran sighed. ?Don?t worry, young one. He?ll come around soon enough

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yay,.. I love how it ended. Now there's the boys we know and love!!

3. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Did I get first post? Hmmm, I bet all initiates have that first burst of reality - being a padawan isn't always fun - it's a whole like of work. :p

Glad Kyran could give him a little reassurance and that Qui-Gon came back later to talk with him. ;)

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yep that's Obi all right ;) unsure of himself and worried. Glad Qui told him he was proud :D Something that was said very little to the poor guy :(

Wonderful ending! [:D] Great job Master! Now I'm still pondering on a Yoda/Dooku one... 8-} dunno if I can handle that much Yoda speak... :oops:

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was so sweet. Poor kid, thinking he wasn't doing it right. Good thing he had Kyran around to let him in on the Jinn characteristics...:D

Good job.

6. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Little Obi is quite determined, isn't he?

: Your best is all I can ask of you, Padawan.

I'm no Qui expert, but that's something I can hear him saying.

7. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Cute fic! I love the end. The important thing is to do your best and not give up! :)

8. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
  9. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Awww! That was so great. Poor Obi-Wan, thinking he just couldn't do anything right. Qui-Gon assuring him that he was proud of him was just what he needed to hear. I loved this glimpse into the beginnings of their Master/Padawan relationship.

Someday, I?ll have a padawan to make me proud, he thought to himself.

//Yes, my Obi-Wan. Someday you will. Someday.//

Loved the foreshadowing here.

Excellent vignette! :)

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    How'd I know that Kyran would fix everything? :) Cute! Very sweet!

11. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Nice little story! Qui and Obi are still feeling each other out, it seems, but we know they'll get everything good in the end. I enjoyed it mucho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.