main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Power of a Moment (AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Meredith, Feb 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meredith

Meredith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2001
    Hi everyone. This is an idea that has been running around my mind for a while now and I finally decided to start writing it. It's a rather common AU so I hope it isn't played out. Anyway, this is my first fic so I hope you like it.

*deep breath*
    Here is goes!...

Title: The Power of a Moment
    Author: Meredith
    E-mail: GreenEyedJedi@aol.com
    Category: Alternative Universe
    Summary: If Qui-Gon had lived and taken Anakin as a Padawan,what would have happened to Obi-Wan?
    Disclaimer: George Lucas owns Star Wars and it?s characters.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obi-Wan was falling. He thought it must have been several seconds but couldn?t be sure. The next thing he was aware of was finally landing on one of the many catwalks.

Pain laced his side at the impact but there was no time to stop and try to ease the burning feeling that ran up and down his side. He caught hold of the edge of the landing quickly to keep from falling over the side and continuing the decent. Pausing half a second to take a deep breath, he hauled himself back up and ran.

He ran until he got to the sport where the landing he was on passed beneath the catwalk were his Master was now battling the Sith?alone. Obi-Wan pushed his feelings of guilt for not being at Qui-Gon?s side away for the time being. With a surge of the force, he leapt up onto the platform overhead and again started to run.

Qui-Gon and the Sith were just going down the corridor. Obi-Wan reached the beginning of the passage way, but too late. The red laser wall came down in front of him, separating him from his Master.

This was wrong, very wrong.

The ?bad feeling? that he had first become aware of at the beginning of this mission suddenly multiplied, until the sensation crept under his skin, making it impossible for him to stand still. Obi-Wan?s fist clenched and unclenched as he paced back in forth behind the red haze.

The walls cycled down and he ran ahead, but the feeling had unnerved him and he was unable to focus. He found himself once again separated from his Master.

Obi-Wan mentally kicked himself for letting his anxiety take over, but still the feeling remained. He had never had a premonition like this before. One that caught hold and wouldn?t let go, that caused a chill to run down his spine and warned him to prepare for the worst.

He stared through the red world as Qui-Gon faced the Sith. For the first time in thirteen years Obi-Wan wasn?t fighting at his side and this definitely was not a good time to start. The feeling of foreboding mounted and suddenly the world became still as he watched the Sith?s lightsabre go right through his Master.

A scream filled the air and Obi-Wan was only faintly aware that it was coming from him. As the scream died in the air, the Sith came to stand in front of him on the other side of the laser wall. The painted man walked back and forth, watching Obi-Wan closely, as if to size up the young Jedi.

Hands continued to clench and unclench as Obi-Wan tried to prepare for what was about to happen and to push out of his mind what already had. A second later the red walls cycled again and he charged forward. The Dark side swirled around him, but Obi-Wan wasn?t sure if it was all coming from the Sith or if some of it was originating from his own emotions. Taking a deep breath as he fought, he pushed aside the dark as much as he could and tried to envision the light surrounding him as his ally, like Qui-Gon had always taught him before?

He cut the Sith?s lightsabre in half. Throwing away the damaged portion, the dark warrior came at him again. Trying to keep his thoughts calm and allowing the force to guide him, Obi-Wan repelled all of the attacks. He was just beginning to gain the upper hand when suddenly a wave of the force swept over him and he found himself falling again. This time it was down the melding pit.

As he caught hold of a pipe sticking out of the wall he look

2. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

OOoooOOO...what was the mysterious light?! That was a very good post, Meredith! I've read a few "Qui lives" stories, and I love them all! Keep going, I have to know what happens next!

aa :)

3. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Ahhh! You leave it there? More?

4. Arctic_Wolf

Arctic_Wolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2000
    Must have more for us to survive this cliffhanger!!!!

5. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    WOW! Thanks everyone! I hope to post again tomorrow. I'll try not to keep you waiting. =)

6. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Oooooooooo...very promising...i like it!

7. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    Hi everyone! Thanks once again for all the replies. I wasn't going to post again until tomorrow, but then I realized how busy I'm going to be, so I'm posting now. I really hope you all like it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Obi-Wan shook his head. How? He had felt Qui-Gon?s life force slip away, what had happened?

Gently, just for his own reassurance, Obi-Wan reached out and hand and traced Qui-Gon?s cheek. The skin was warm, alive. The chest in front of him was rising and falling, not steadily, but the man was breathing nonetheless.

That was enough for him. He wasn?t going to sit around questioning his own sanity when his Master was alive. Severely injured, but alive. He could never have asked for more.

The wound through Qui-Gon?s abdomen was not healed, or at least not completely. The damage was still there, but Obi-Wan could see that healthy new flesh beginning to cover the burned area. The danger was not over, however.

Carefully getting up, Obi-Wan used the force to help pick up Qui-Gon?s still form. Another wave of dizziness took over, but there was no time to deal with his own weakness. Obi-Wan pushed the feeling aside and with his Master in his arms he walked back down the catwalks and back into the hanger bay.

Looking around he could see that the war was over. Fighters were just coming in. Casting out with the force, he could sense that the Queen was also safe. Good.

It didn?t take him but a second to find the area where they were sending the injured to be treated. Many had been wounded and the palace was making accommodations for them all. An entire wind of the structure was to be used for the purpose and Obi-Wan made hast to get his Master there.

A droid stopped him at the door. A second later a healer came up with a stretcher. Obi-Wan sighed with relief as he lay Qui-Gon down on it. He began to follow the healer as the man took his Master into the ward, but he was stopped.

?You are not allowed in.?

Obi-Wan moved to protest. The color was gone from his face. He needed to be with his Master; to know that he was really alive, but the healer slid the door shut with a hiss, locking him out.

Obi-Wan?s head hurt, but he ignored it. What was he supposed to do now? He felt at a lose so he slowly made his way back to the hanger, his mind on retrieving his and Qui-Gon?s robe.

He found them and slipped the brown material over his shoulders, hoping it would ease the chill that was going through him. It was as he returned that he heard a young voice chattering away.

??but it was on autopilot so we went all the way up there. We were almost a goner until Artoo manages to switch the controls back over to manual??

Obi-Wan listened curiously. For the first time since the battle he was aware of his surroundings. He heard the rest of Anakin?s story and actually almost smiled, but didn?t dare, less other emotions slip through as well.

?Obi-Wan, sir!? Anakin called, running up to him. ?Where is Master Qui-Gon??

The boy?s eager face, caused Obi-Wan to repress a shudder at what he would have to tell him.

?Yes, were is Master Jinn. I wish to speak with him.?

Obi-Wan looked in the direction of the voice and for the first time notices Padmé, no, Queen Amidala, standing next to Anakin. His throat constricted and Obi-Wan had to fight for composer. His legs were weak, so he knelt down in front of the boy to hide
    their shaking.

?Anakin...um?Master Qui-Gon was injured in the battle. I?m afraid it?s serious, but I think he will be ok. He?s with the healers right now.?

Anakin stared open mouthed along with Amidala.

?No, that can?t happen! You?re lying! Where is he? I want to see him!? Obi-Wan was taken aback by the sudden outburst. He reached to put a hand on the boy?s shoulder, but Anakin shrugged it off and stepped closer to Amidala instead.

?Anakin, it?s ok. We can go see him at the healers.? The young ruler soothed.

?They wouldn?t allow me to go in.? Obi-Wan commented as he watched t

8. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000

WOW wow! What's wrong with Obi?! Poor guy! You had me right there with him, I love that! Great descriptions of the emotions and poor Obi's pain! I hope you're not so busy in the next few days, so that you can post more!

9. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Ahhh! Again with the cliffhanger...

More?

10. Kaylla Norn

Kaylla Norn Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2000
    I think you should post again very soon is what I think. sooooooooo?

11. Arctic_Wolf

Arctic_Wolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2000
    I hope you will post more as soon as you are unbusy!

12. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    Thanks everyone! I've had a very busy day and seeing all of replies really cheered me up. =)

I hope to have another post tomorrow. I can't make any promises, but I will certainly try. Thanks again!

13. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    I'm sorry I'm not posting today! I had a really great post planned too, but today was also very busy and I am sleep deprived. I will have a new post by tomorrow...I promise!

14. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    Hi everyone. I finally managed to get a post written! Yay for me. Its a bit short, because I have to run and do homework now, but at least it's a post. Anyway here it is. I hope you like it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?Where is Master Qui-Gon? How is he?? Amidala asked the healer as she put a comforting hand on Anakin?s shoulder.

?He is currently in bacta. He should be fine. I must say Your Highness; I do not know how he survived. The wound was?? the healer shook her head and trailed off.

?What is it?? Amidala prompted with a questioning look.

?The wound was already partially healed when he was brought here. Most of the major damage had already been fixed. He should only have to remain in bacta for two days or so.?

Amidala started to ask the healer another question, but was stopped when the doors to the ward were suddenly thrown open. She heard Anakin gasp and turned to see what it was. She took a step back; her eyes open wide in surprise.

In the doorway stood Captain Panaka and another guard carrying the limp form of Jedi Kenobi.

?What has happened?? Amidala asked as the healer directed them to lay the Jedi on a nearby bed.

?I don?t know. He just collapsed.? Panaka explained with a worried expression.

?Will he be ok?? came Anakin?s soft voice.

Amidala looked at the boy. She didn?t know what to say. Jedi Kenobi had looked perfectly fine when they had seen him in the hanger. The young Queen looked to the healer, the question in her expression.

The healer quickly moved to examine the Jedi, taking his pulse and checking vital signs. Amidala drew Anakin back as this was taking place. Physical injures were sought for and blood was taken. The healer gave the nearby droid some instructions before going over to them.

?Jedi Kenobi is stable. He has some broken ribs but nothing very serious, at least not that I can see until the blood tests come back.?

?You don?t know why he collapsed?? Panaka asked, still eyeing the young Jedi worriedly.

?Not at the moment, but we will know soon.? The healer turned to the Queen. ?I have little knowledge of the Jedi Your Highness. I think it would be best if they were contacted right away so I might talk to one of their healers.?

?Yes, of course. It will be done immediately.? Amidala led Anakin toward the door. ?Come Anakin, you?ve had a busy day. Lets get you settled and then I must contact the Jedi Council.?

A haze filled Obi-Wan?s vision as he walked. ?Where am I?? He wondered and even though the thought was not spoken allowed, the words echoed around him.

He had been walking for sometime. Voices had come to him. He had only caught words here and there, but he had recognized the voices. Or at least he thought he did. He had heard Amidala, Anakin, Captain Panaka, Master Yoda, and Master Windu, but he couldn?t be sure where they were coming from or what they were trying to tell him.

Suddenly the haze in front of him shifted. Beyond the cloud he thought he could discern shapes, a hallway? Noise suddenly began to filter through to him. He heard footsteps and in the distance, blaster fire.

The haze retreated even more and he found himself in an empty corridor. A commotion was coming from just a little ways down so he walked toward it. His hand instinctively went to his lightsabre, but wait, he had lost it in the battle with the Sith. He had no weapon.

Obi-Wan peered around the corner and saw men in white armor and behind them walked a group of three people. He reached out with the force and felt it swirl around him. Only what it told him did not match what he was seeing. The force was telling him that people were around him, but they were at rest. This scene in front of him did not exist. But it was so real. He concentrated, trying to detect what he was seeing, but nothing more than a vague impression of those before him came through.

Suddenly the men in white armor turned and ran in the other direction. One man in the group of three stopped a

15. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000

Whoa...! So, Obi-Wan is seeing his future, and Anakin's?! Cool...I wonder what's going to happen now?

Please post again soon, this is really great!

16. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    Hi! Sorry, no post for today. One tomorrow though. I promise!

17. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    This is a little short, but I hope you like it. More tomorrow. Enjoy!

As Obi-Wan tried to sit up he realized his attempt was useless. His eyes flew open to a bright light as he flopped back down on the pillow behind him. He closed his eyes and struggled to catch his breath.

?Calm you will.? came a familiar voice beside him.

A second later Obi-Wan felt a hand on his shoulder. A wave of comfort flowed through him. He allowed himself to relax and a minute later his heart rate slowed to a normal beat.

Opening his eyes, it took a moment for them to focus, but soon his vision cleared and he realized he was in the middle of the med center. His gaze then came to rest on the face of Master Windu who was standing over him. Turning his head slightly he caught sight of Master Yoda, sitting on the edge of the bed. Obi-Wan went to speak, but his throat was dry and he began to cough.

?Here.? Windu said, helping him to sit up and tilting a glass of water to his lips.

?Thank you.? He rasped as the glass was removed. ?What happened??

His thoughts were cloudy and the last thing he remembered was helping workers clean up in the hanger, then fatigue and pain. His memories stopped there. Obi-Wan blinked, trying to clear his thoughts. It was then that it came to him.

?Where is my Master? How is he??

?Fine he is. Saved him you have. Out of bacta he was just taken. Awake he was, but resting he now is.?

?Saved him.? Obi-Wan breathed as he settled back. That was all that mattered.

?You were very lucky Obi-Wan. You are one of the few cases where the actions you took didn?t prove fatal.? Windu broke in with a stern look, but Obi-Wan could sense the worry coming from him and Yoda.

?What did I do?? He asked. He had no idea what had happened.

?Powerful you are young one, but control you must learn. Channeled the force you did. Through you it traveled, more power than is meant for a body to conduct. Used that power to heal Qui-Gon you did, but endangered yourself you did in the process.?

Obi-Wan sighed. Well that would explain a lot. He shifted on the bed and was rewarded with a streak of pain racing up his side. He breathed slowly, willing it to go away. Broken ribs? How had he managed that? Oh, the fall from the catwalk. That?s what had happened.

?I know. I still have much to learn.? Obi-Wan said softly a moment later.

?Not so much young one.? Yoda said with a hint of amusement in his voice.

? What you have to learn will come with time?Knight Kenobi.? Windu added.

?What?!? Obi-Wan asked in surprise as he propped himself up on his elbow.

?Proven yourself you have. A Jedi Knight you now are.?

?Your Knighting ceremony will take place as soon you and Qui-Gon are up to it.?

A long silence followed as Obi-Wan rolled this idea around in his head. His train of thought was broken, however, as Master Yoda cleared his throat.

?Go tell the Queen you should, that awake they are.? Yoda directed Windu.

This made Obi-Wan look up curiously. It
    would have been just as easy for one of the healers to contact the Queen. Yoda wanted to get rid of Master Windu for some reason.

The Jedi Master stood, giving Yoda an odd look before bowing and heading out the door. It wasn?t until the door hissed shut that Yoda spoke.

?Saw something you did??

Obi-Wan blinked and with a start his dream came rushing back to him. Oh, how he hoped it was a dream, but he should have known that Yoda would have sensed it.

?Yes. I saw my death. I saw Anakin. He?Is Anakin to be trained??

?Hummm?agree with his being trained I do not, but the Council will not interfere. A mistake I feel this is. Seen you have what the future is. Up to Qui-Gon the final decision will be.?

Obi-Wan?s brow furrowed as he though about this. ?But Master Yoda, he must know what will happen. He doesn?t know the danger.?

?For me to tell, it is not.? Yoda replied, giving him a poin

18. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    Sorry! I know I promised a post today, but things got a little busy so I can't. I'll try tomorrow but I'm not sure I'll have time then either. Sorry!

19. SkySaber

SkySaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2000
    Very interesting story!!!

20. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000

Yay, a post! That old coniving Yoda ;) I'm glad Obi-Wan is okay...relatively, anyway. I wonder if Qui-Gon will listen?! Awesome post, Meredith!

21. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    I just found this and am really enjoying it. Looking forward to your next post.

22. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    Hi everyone! Wow, thanks for the replies!

I know I said I would have a post today, but I'm not exactly sure how to start the next post...I'll work on it tomorrow though and I mean it this time!

23. Meredith

Jan 25, 2001
    Happy V-Day everyone!

I was going to post today, but...I haven't had time. Sorry! I started the next post though...I really did! So i will have it done soon! Promise!

24. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    Happy V-Day.

Now I want a post :)

25. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    wow...i just found this and I am very much looking forward to more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.