main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Before The Phantoms Fell- O/Q Vignettes- 'A Looming Threshold' 4.27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Before the Phantoms Fell
    A Series of Vignettes by LuvEwan

This will be an ongoing collection of scenes inspired by the list of plot bunnies offered so generously by dianethx, shanobi and Kynstar.

--------

A Powerful Light

G

(Disclaimer) Nothing belongs to me.

This first one is a combination of two ideas from the fertile imagination of dianethx. You?ll have to read to see which ones! Forgive the title.

Obi-Wan awaits his Master?s return.

--

The Universe was a massive place, but suddenly, it had dwindled to a patch of powdered grit. As the hours brought a subtle shift and seeping of dusk into the sky, Obi-Wan was becoming increasingly convinced that his boots would ever only set upon that hearth. The others sat, meditated, even slept, but his cognizance was rigid as his spine. The eyes of his body and those of his mind were in desperate focus.

A scrape shorn through the silence, and his hand went to the jagged cave wall. He stood in total stillness, senses straining to locate the source of the sound. But it passed, and his surroundings settled. Beyond the lip of the shelter, the forest was captured in crisp sunset.

And the shadows were spreading.

From every edge and crevice, there was a bleeding of black that, too soon, would bring the eclipse of nighttime. The horizon would flood in a pall, and he wouldn?t be able to make out the tall, venerable figure of his teacher, as he ascended the far-off hills. Obi-Wan was young. Very young, as just about everyone he came into contact with relished in reminding him. But his fresh heart was not without scars, and certainly not galvanized against harsher realities. He was worried about Qui-Gon. As the shroud fell further around him, he could feel his core set atremble, and he had to force his fingers not to follow suit. He was young, and if he had not been trained from infancy in the ways of the ancient Order, he would still be held close beneath the wing of his parents.

Yet, their faces were but a muddled blur in his memory. His family came to him in a mosaic: teachers, fellow students, the Knight and crechelings, they all assembled his support. It was their collective countenance that would sustain him in moments of uncertainty. Above them, however, would be his mentor. Qui-Gon Jinn, impulsive, aloof, charismatic, the rogue of the Temple. Rumors and legends followed him like the tail of his cloak?and, like that cloak, his steps would send them flying backward. He was aware of his reputation, but he lived his life in a way that was true to his own heart.

Obi-Wan had learned to see that, and he dismissed the criticism aimed at the man. He could not be his apprentice with any doubt separating them. So he would sometimes stifle his arguments, trusting in his Master?s wisdom. Today he had done just that. He had wanted to remain beside Qui-Gon, a place that had become natural to Obi-Wan. They had been traveling with a group of fellow Jedi through the thick forest when a member was injured. Qui-Gon, the eldest of the mission team, dictated that he would aid the fallen Knight while the others continued. Obi-Wan had assumed that he would be staying as well, but that, as his Padawan, it was simply an unspoken thing.

But Qui-Gon?s weathered face had been (regretfully?) stoic as he informed the boy, ?Padawan, you are to go with the rest. I?ll catch up.?

Obi-Wan?s insides had lurched, and protest leapt to his lips, but in the end he merely said, ?Yes, Master.? And, with a final look back at his teacher, joined the others.

That had been a long while ago. Twilight and slumber were calling. But he was self-appointed sentinel at the door of the cavern, and sleep was the furthest luxury from his mind. His thoughts were with Qui-Gon, his concern centered on the man. As a Jedi-in-training, Obi-Wan had thought himself not as tender as other children. Already in his short time, he had survived terrible assaults and overwhelming adversity.

He was a little started by the strengthening

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Awwwwww MUSH!! [face_love] Yay! [face_dancing]

Poor Obi :( He thought the worse even when Mace told him otherwise. Loved the idea that Obi thought it was his imagination that he had thought to have heard Qui-Gon talking to him thru their bond :D

Great job! *Warm fuzzy feelings* How sweet!!

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww yay such lovely master and padawan mush... ooh more..

[face_love] That was beautiful LE ..

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Wow, that was great and so quickly. Glad to be of help, especially if you keep writing!!!

I loved that Obi-Wan didn't know that Qui was speaking to him with his mind. Poor kid, thinking he had all that fear that he was going crazy when all it was was Qui-Gon...

Great job. Looking forward to more! :D

5. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh. That was so wonderful. I forgive you for making me hurt so much with the last one. This was amazingly good. Fluff with much depth, oh yes. :::squeals with quiet delight:::

I'm still feeling something in my chest, but it isn't pain this time. Thanks!

6. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Kynstar Thanks! :)

Layren Aw, thank you. ;)

diane Your list inspires me. The ideas just make me excited about writing. Thank you so much. [:D]

maychorian Glad this offered some relief. ;)

It?s the Thought that Counts

G

(Disclaimer) Nothing belongs to me. This was again inspired by a bunny from dianethx.

No matter what anyone says, Obi-Wan can't cook.

--

As the ship groaned softly to the platform, Qui-Gon felt a sigh fall from his lips. At last.

The ramp lowered, and he called upon his deepest reserve of control to keep from dashing down it. The mission was done, and after a long shower and steaming mug of freshly brewed tea, he could shed the lingering grime from both skin and memory.

He strode through the Temple, inhaling familiarity and anticipating the completion of his relief. For though the silvery haven of the Jedi was a comfort, it wasn?t home. Up the lift and down the corridor, he came to the apartment he shared with his student.

The Master rolled his shoulders, but most of the tension bound in the muscles remained. His mouth stretched in a yawn as he palmed open the door. His mind had already begun to warm to the image of his bed. A good, dreamless sleep was definitely in order.

His return had occurred under the star-dusted sky, so he had not expected Obi-Wan to be standing at the hangar. Indeed, the boy had not been there, a fact that both pleased Qui-Gon, and left him a little heartsick. Obi-Wan needed his rest, of course?but after a strenuous separation from the Padawan, Qui-Gon found he needed to see the youthful face, to meet the bright cerulean eyes with his own.

These wishes were bestowed as he walked into the common room of the apartment. Obi-Wan was wide-awake, fully dressed, and smiling. ?Welcome back, Master,? He gave a small bow.

?Thank you, Padawan,? Qui-Gon replied, eying his companion with more than a little curiosity. The space was well lit and suspiciously tidy. ?If you are my Padawan, that is.?

Obi-Wan chuckled. ?I assure you, I am.?

?Hm.? Qui-Gon lifted an eyebrow as he scanned the room again. ?Then shouldn?t this place be one step away from being declared a disaster area? There isn?t even anything on the floor. I hardly recognize it.?

?I cleaned it, Master.?

Qui-Gon feigned a shock-induced chest pain, clutching his hand to his tunic. ?What? I thought you said you were allergic to such a thing.?

Obi-Wan helped him out of his cloak, then folded it neatly on the back of the sofa. ?Well, perhaps I?ve been cured.?

The man sat in his armchair and exhaled heavily. ?Miracles never cease.? He tipped back his head and closed his eyes, allowing his bones to sink into the cushion.

?Master, you?re going to sit there??

He peeled back one eyelid, to regard the still-attentive form of his Padawan. ?It seems that way, yes. Why??

?Oh, it?s nothing.? Obi-Wan waved his hand in dismissal of the subject, though his tone betrayed him.

Qui-Gon straightened. The boy was officially acting odd now. ?I don?t think it?s nothing. Now what?? He was paused by the wafting of an aroma, one he had not noticed in the first moments. It was faint, but quickly evolved into a very sharp pungency. If hell had a smell? Oh gods. He?s kept some pet and now it?s dead. He swallowed, ?Now what is it, Obi-Wan? And while you?re answering that, also inform me what that odor is.?

Surprisingly, Obi-Wan?s face split in a brilliant grin. ?Come into the kitchen and I?ll show you.?

Qui-Gon stood, deciding that there were no animal corpses in the apartment. His Padawan wasn?t that macabre. Still, the boy appeared too excited about the source of the revolting scent.

He followed Obi-Wan into the small adjoining room, where the hell-stench gleaned significant power. He could actually see it now, floating up from various dishes that were set out on the table. The utensils were half-wrapped in cloth napkins. In the midst of the setting was a vase containing three white flowers.

Qui-Gon

7. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    LOL oh LE that was lovely!!! Poor Qui-Gon having to eat Obi's horrible cooking -- hope he doesn't get food poisoning LOL... great job!

8. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    No, as he did his best to chew it, he ascertained that it was some kind of meat. Burnt to a hardened shell on the outside, raw and almost cold on the inside. Maybe he DID have a pet?and this is it. He quelled his gag reflex in order to gulp it down.

Hesitantly, he looked at Obi-Wan, who was rocking back and forth on his heels, hands behind his back.

?Well? What d?you think??

There aren?t words. ?It?s?? He had to swallow a second-coming, ?It?s wonderful, Padawan.?

Obi-Wan sighed in happy relief. ?Oh good. I was afraid you weren?t going to like it.?

?Of course I like it,? Qui-Gon reached out and touched the dimpled chin briefly, ?You made it.?

Obi-Wan smiled, and Qui-Gon knew that anything was worth doing, if it would light that face in its unique luminescence. Even dying of food poisoning.

Now isn't that juz so sweet?? [face_love] Awww the mush between the Master and his Padawan!!

Excellent job! :D

9. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    [shrieks with laughter] LE, that was fabulous [face_laugh] if that's how poor Obi cooks...fetch my will indeed!!!

[stumbles away to read it all over again]

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I LOVED it. Especially this Oh gods. He?s kept some pet and now it?s dead. Such an apt description as Qui-Gon is going to his death by food poisoning!

I'm so glad you've been inspired!!!!! =D=

11. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    This was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I would be more effusive, but I'm feeling rather sick right now soreness, headache, stomachache, slight dizziness, and far too much to do, so I'll be going now. (Having wisdom teeth extracted totally sucks, by the way.)

Thanks for posting so humorous! I needed it today.

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    the first was wonderful, sweet mush :)

the second was too funny

13. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Layren Thanks. :)

Kynstar Sweet, indeed! :) Thanks for reading

P_A Thank you for reading! [face_dancing]

diane And I'm so glad you've inspired me so. I really needed that fresh perspective.

maychorian Hope you're feeling better. :)

PK Glad you read and enjoyed 'em both. ;)

Strangers & Family

PG

(Disclaimer) Nothing belongs to me.

Obi-Wan becomes disconcerted by a normal Jedi practice. Another from dianethx?s lifesaving list: collecting babies for the Jedi.

--

She was still crying.

They had been walking for awhile, and the small cottage was lost in the distance, behind the miles of dirt road and layers of leaves, but the sobs still tore from her as intensely as they had in the first moments. Obi-Wan glanced at the infant, who slept in the arms of Qui-Gon Jinn, and thought of the mother. In truth, he couldn?t know for certain if the tears still flooded her paled face, he only knew that the memory of her sorrow throbbed in his eardrums. The strength had drained from the woman, and the youth and vitality had been gutted from her spirit, as she handed her only child to the Jedi representatives.

A content little sigh slipped from the baby?s slack lips. Obi-Wan looked at him again, swathed in a hand-woven quilt and clothes, all made from soft, pastel fabric.

The Temple children wore identical uniforms, versions of the standard, earth-toned garb of the Order, crafted by nameless tailors somewhere in the vast Coruscant cityscape. Obi-Wan couldn?t remember wearing much else during the twenty-two years of his life.

He studied the elfin face, and could already see the progression, the steps from crècheling to initiate, Padawan to Knight, and then, Master. Scenes of hardship and victory slowly composed, for today the woman had handed them the brush.

It had been a crushing decision for her to make.

The desolation was already etched into her features as she stood at the door, a hand curved along the edge. Her dark hair was piled carelessly in a tie, her nightclothes rumpled and feet bare.

Qui-Gon stood tall, but not imposing, and offered her a small smile before bending in a customary bow. Obi-Wan emulated the man, though he could not dredge up that same, comforting play of his mouth.

?Gil?an Yeria??

The gleam in her ebony gaze was hard?hesitant. She nodded, her eyes shifting from older to younger man. Her mouth worked to form the words. ?You?re?you?re the Jedi??

?Yes. I am Qui-Gon Jinn,? He rested a hand on his companion?s shoulder, ? and this is my apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi.?

The morning light traced gentle tinges around her visage, and she was smoothed of the distressed lines, looking more like a vulnerable teenager. ?I?? She wiped at her cheek, ?I didn?t think you?d be here so soon.?

From her demeanor, Obi-Wan wondered if maybe she had deluded herself into thinking they would never arrive.

?I?m sorry, Miss Yeria. Did you need a bit more time?? Qui-Gon asked her.

She paused, considering, then sealed her eyes and shook her head. ?No. No. I can?t. I have to do it now or I might not be able to do it at all.?

?Of course,? The Master replied in a kind, understated voice.

Gil?an stood there a few seconds, as though she had become a protective wall between her child and those that wished to take him from her. Then, the skin at her brow strained, and she bit down on a frown. ?Come in.?

They followed her inside the humble room, which consisted of a sofa, armchair, and, most noticeably, a crib. She went there immediately, reaching down to whisper an endearment to the baby inside.

When she turned to them again, her smile was pained. ?I, um, made some tea. I?ll go get it.?

They were left alone to survey the space. It was lit by warm amber glow, radiating from a single fixture. Toys were scattered across the floor. Qui-Gon sighed. ?It never gets easer,? He murmured.

Obi-Wan nodded. Admittedly, he hadn?t the extensive experience when dealing with this situation, he was only a Pa

14. Jedi_Chani

Jedi_Chani Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    Each was beautifully done and quite powerful! =D=

15. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, that was splendid. I don't think you're overdoing it at all. The mere mention of babies brings out the cavities. I loved the mother's reticence and eventual understanding, and Obi and Qui's separate admissions to what they mean to each other, and that they even expressed it to each other. So nice. Subtle, not overdone, but extremely wonderful.\

Yes, I'm feeling better. :)

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can't believe I missed these! Holding my place so when I come back this evening I can read these and leave feedback at my leisure! :D

You're so talented.

Makes me Yoda green with envy! :p

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I LOVED it. It was so mushy and the discussion about love was terrific.
    I really loved this part.
    ?And then I told her it was also possible to love someone who was wonderful, and natural and necessary to life, without the accompanying shadows. That you could love another as if they were your brother, or your son?and sacrifice very little in doing so.? He studied Obi-Wan?s face, ?Do you think that was the right thing to tell her??

Obi-Wan smiled, feeling rejuvenation replace the doubt, if only for the lovely moment stretching out. ?I think it was, Master.?

?Good,? Qui-Gon murmured, ?I was afraid it wasn?t understood?before.?

Qui-Gon was so very reserved but he got his message across. I read that and thought wow.

Great job.

18. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh my goodness! That was indeed awesome! Well done! [face_love] Awww the love there at the end! ;)

Sad :( makes you wonder how they could do that time and time again. Like Qui said though... takes time to get used too.
    Great job!

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    happy for mushy mush- good stuff :)

20. DarkDream

DarkDream Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    Awww... such a cute ending! [face_love]

21. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Ah, beautifully done. I think this one's easily my favourite (if you don't count 'A Night's Refuge'), among your viggies :)

>>>Obi-Wan smiled, feeling rejuvenation replace the doubt, if only for the lovely moment stretching out. ?I think it was, Master.?

?Good,? Qui-Gon murmured, ?I was afraid it wasn?t understood?before.?
    >>>

Ohhh...that was just so...right.

On an aside...you wouldn't consider finishing 'Shine Until Tomorrow', would you (if you haven't already, and by some freak of nature, I've missed it)...[makes puppy eyes] please? :)

22. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    So sweet! I loved them all!!

23. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Jedi_Chani Thanks! :)

maychorian I'm glad you think it wasn't overdone. Whew. I always worry about that, especially when it comes to emotional stuff. ;)

VL Like you have anything to be envious about! :rolleyes:

diane Thank you so, so much. [face_love]

Kynstar It is incredibly sad. I don't have a kid, but I know I couldn't do it!

PK :)

DarkDream [face_blush]

Princess_Arulmozhi Shine Until Tomorrow? Never heard of it. [face_mischief] Thank you for reading. [face_love]

Arwen Thanks. :D

Holes

PG

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me. Idea courtesy of the lovely shanobi, who always offers up some of the best.

On the transport home, Obi-Wan is plagued by the memory of his decisions on Melida/Dann.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

There were places in the universe where shadows dwelled, where they prospered and could gut the very air. Nothing, not even the strongest, purest light, could withstand the pull of it, and the brilliance would sink to the core of the darkness. It was said that oblivion existed among the living, within those black holes.

If one had presented itself to Obi-Wan Kenobi at the current moment, he would have gladly given himself to it, and disappeared completely in the void. He wanted to disappear, to be gone?to have never existed. After the events had unfolded to their bitter conclusion, so richly painted in scarlet death, he had studied every minute detail, searching for the point when he had veered from the sacred course, and chose recklessness over steadiness, impulse over sense, strangers over his Master.

He was certain there was an instance of truth, when he stood perfectly balanced on the line, and toppled. He peered into the past, to those dust-washed, war-riddled days, looking for the mistake. But in the end, the same belief was always renewed: He should never have been born. That was the fatal flaw, and though it had been beyond his control, he felt the scorch of shame conflagrate his belly.

His musings stirred the space chill, and he burrowed deeper in his robe, crossing his arms and tucking his chin against his chest. He felt the familiar thrum of a warm, laboring engine beneath him. Those gentle vibrations soothed his body, easing strained muscles of flesh and thought. He decided to focus entirely on that. He wouldn?t permit stray notions. He couldn?t?for they had already threatened to consume him.

And he couldn?t be overtaken. He had to retain a semblance of clarity and composure. Because, despite all that had happened, he still wanted to be a Jedi. He hated himself for that lingering, incurable, fierce desire; he was foolish to think he would be allowed in the Temple again, let alone welcomed back into the ranks he had so hastily shunned. But it would beat like a mad drummer?s fevered cadence, as long as his heart did. He wanted to meld with the Force and serve its will?from the time of his unfortunate waking to the Universe, he was told his purpose, and it would be his purpose, the reason for breath, until he could no longer seep that breath into his lungs.

Obi-Wan knew that he would collapse to his knees and beg every last member of the High Council, of the Order itself, if it were the only way to regain what he lost---no, what he deserted. He?d stir Master Yoda?s infamous stew, and let the odious steam waft up around his face, he?d take midnight duty at the crèche, he?d even polish Bruck Chun?s boots.

A tear stung him, and he wiped it away quickly, fearing that more would come, born of those simple memories of home. Force, I can?t leave?Please?

He was jolted by the rap at the door to his small transport quarters. Immediately he was scrubbing at his eyes, hoping they didn?t harbor traces of his loss of control. ?C-Come in.?

Qui-Gon Jinn stood there in the doorframe, as noble a figure as Obi-Wan could imagine. His profile was strong; his eyes sharpened sapphire wisdom. He looked mystic, mythical, and it

24. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was heavy! :_| Poor Obi! Excellent descriptions and angst! Could feel the feelings from Obi :(

Great work! :D

25. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    And here you go and rip my heart out of my chest AGAIN! Aaaaaagh!

Write more mush. Please, please, please.

Not that this isn't also excellent. But such depths of pain with no prospect of relief (for several books) is very tiring. Poor kiddo. It's worst of all when you blame yourself.

Anyway, wonderful writing. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.