main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Of Unique Skills and Serenity (JA, Qui/Obi) - One Shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    What you're going to read, was produced during a sudden fit of nostalgia. And a desperate urge to write something involving one regal Jedi master. There's no other excuse. :D

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn squinted.

It was not an expression he favoured?he usually preferred a less? ?expressive? expression, as he told himself wryly. Sometimes, however, it was difficult to keep one?s eyebrows, lips and nose in perfect control. It was possible to achieve this through rigorous practice, aided by boredom, during negotiations, meetings, briefings, and mediations?but a tunic-fitting session was something else altogether.

He quelled a brief impulse to twitch?which was nevertheless noticed by his apprentice, as evidenced by the slightest of creases that appeared amidst his eye-brows.

?Are you done yet, padawan?? He asked, eyes roving through the transparisteel embrasures, at the shuttle-traffic that skimmed through air-lanes of Coruscant. Evening was settling its golden sheen through the planet, and the room was awash in its gentle light. Qui-Gon felt an immense urge to walk to the gardens, and settle in meditation, contemplating the almost divine beauty of the Living Force.

?Not yet, master.?

?Ah.? The master sighed. ?Will it take long??

Jedi padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi raised crystalline eyes to his erstwhile patient teacher, and smiled. ?It will take as long as it should, master.?

Qui-Gon folded his arms, and frowned at the apprentice, kneeling calmly at his feet. ?While I?m gratified by your skill in evading questions, padawan, I would appreciate it if you?ah?resorted to a more direct way of answering my queries,? he said severely.

?I was being more direct.?

?How so??

?Isn?t truth an indicator of directness??

Qui-Gon repressed the urge to utter an un-masterly retort, and decided on a direful frown, instead. ?You choose the most inopportune moments to exhibit your mastery over diplomacy, young one.?

?You do, after all, insist that there?s a lesson to be learnt from even the smallest incident.?

While master Jinn appreciated candour and sincerity at all times, this was neither the right time nor place, he felt, to hear his own lessons being repeated to him. But he would not admit defeat. Patience was a lesson his padawan hadn?t learnt very well yet?and he, Qui-Gon Jinn, would show that he was still the master at it.

Accordingly, the Jedi Master spent the next fifteen minutes staring alternatively at the floor, the ceiling, his shelves which held all of his meagre possessions, the air-traffic, and his padawan?s red-gold head, glinting brightly in the evening sun. At the end of it, Obi-Wan Kenobi sat back, resting his arms on the floor.

?Done,? he said. Relief was evident?as was a certain apprehension. And it was well-founded, judging by Qui-Gon?s incredulous look.

The master stared at his apprentice, at himself and back at the padawan. ?Obi-Wan,? he began carefully?master he may be, but there was still room for error??Are you sure??

Obi-Wan frowned at the appearance his master presented. ?It?er?may not be up to Temple standards?but I?m sure practice will make perfect. Eventually.? He looked at his master hopefully.

Qui-Gon had opened his mouth to reply, when the com-link chirped. The master opened a channel, listened, and closed it after a while.

?The Council wishes to see me at once,? he said.

Obi-Wan?s eyes widened in horror?an expression, which, had Qui-Gon not been the master, would have been tempted to emulate. ?Master?? The apprentice bowed his head at once. ?I truly am sorry.?

?You appear to be certain that I have no alternative.?

?But you don?t.?

Master Jinn breathed deeply. ?More instances of your candour I do not need, young one.?

?Yes, master.? Obi-Wan?s eyes gleamed. ?Are you?ah?leaving right away?? he gestured vaguely.

?Procrastination was never one of my faults, Obi-Wan.?

?Yes, but??

?And a Jedi is always a Jedi, regardless of circumstances. Let this be a lesson to you, padawan.?

?Yes master.? There w

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    [face_laugh] Poor Qui-Gon!! ROTFL! Oh man that poor man!

Great job! Teaching Obi to sew, eh? That's a good one! :D

3. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    [face_laugh] Bravo! That was wonderfully creative and so well written!

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was adorable. I'm still chuckling about the 'attire' that Qui-Gon had to wear for his Padawan's benefit. Lovely thought and I'm really quite happy to think about how he must have looked. Loved the King comment....LOL.

Excellent.

5. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh that was superb, Arulmozhi! [face_laugh] Sweet of Qui-Gon to wear the clothes. Amazing work. ;)

6. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Great job, PA. Really enjoyed this - loved the line he wasn't supposed to hear. Betcha one of the ladies present said it. ;)

Shaindl

7. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Excellent use of suspense! Just had to keep reading in order to see what had gone so horribly wrong. Wonderful little story. Keep 'em coming!

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    There's no other excuse. First off, as if there's another needed!! :D ;)

I am forever delighted in your presentation of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's relationship and the easy going comraderie they have. I nearly spewed coffe on the PC as Yoda chose to basically ground him to his apartment! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love the thought that came to him... though I don't know how the heck he heard me?? :D :D

Most awesome viggie.

9. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Thank'ee kindly :)

Kynstar: :D Guess you could call it a spin-off of my '...Thumbs' fic. Something that isn't even done yet. Huh.

DreamOfKenobi: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

dianethx: Hee. Knew you would like the attire. :D . I've always thought Qui would have liked to shock everyone out of their senses - sometimes.

LuvEwan: Ah, LE. Thanks. Certainly Qui-Gon would wear it - if for no other purpose than to establish that appearances aren't everything. Besides, he's secretly just a little proud of the fact that Obi-Wan went to so much trouble for him. Just a little, you understand. :D

Shaindl: Thanks. Yup - one of the ladies. Bet you know which one :D

maychorian: :D Thanks. I worked hard at the suspense - didn't want to give it away that it was about clothes, after all.

HL: >>>First off, as if there's another needed!!>>>
    <beams> You're right!!!

Thank you so much . And the reason he heard you was because you were coming up the corridor to deliver a report yourself, and almost ran into him - almost. :D

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Sorry it took me so long to get around to this [face_laugh] that was wonderful! Poor Qui-Gon teaching Obi-Wan how to sew.. the man has more patience than I do ;)

11. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Glad you liked it, Layren :)

12. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    ~stumbles in clumsily~

'Lo there Master!

~bows~

Ah, yes. I remember this one... The infamous tunic fitting.

...How embarassing.

But kingly too. ~sigh~ I do believe that only someone like Master Jinn could pull it off.

And the poor council! ~giggles~ They should not be allowed to mock him so!

Your Devoted Little One,
    Seven

13. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    <grin> Glad to see you here - yes, the infamous tunic-fit session, indeed. :)

Only Master Jinn, little One. :D

Thanks for reading this!

14. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] Liked this a lot! Nice of Qui to wear the cloak regardless of the appearance, though he would probably do it anyway to make a statement. Loved the Council's reaction!

15. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Very well done!!!
    A real test of patience for Qui-Gon there, having to wait like that...

Loved the council's reaction!

16. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

A Jedi Master shall not know vanity

* laughs *

Great line and a great end to a lovely viggie. Excellent characterization!

Thanks!

17. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Jedi_Tigris...thank you.

Qui-Gina-Jinn...the Council's reaction wa sthe best of all. :)

LadyPadme...thank you. :)

18. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    [face_laugh] That was so funny![face_laugh] [face_laugh] Thank you for this tale of the inept Padawan and the patient Master!
    =D=

19. Black_Scout

Black_Scout Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    cool story. There's no wonder he ignored everyone on the way to the council chambers.

20. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    Giggle giggle! I can picture all of that so very perfectly. Poor boys. [face_laugh] Bravo!

A wise teacher, Qui-Gon is indeed.

I am unable to give an intelligent response. My brain is still standing at attention.

21. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    I'd stumbled across this fic on ff.net, but I could never find it again to review it. I'm so glad I found this! I just absolutely love your version of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan; watching them interact is a treat and a half.

?Only he would look like a King, while dressed like a peasant.?

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] I can so see this!

Stormqueen

22. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Star_Drifter : Thank you. :) Glad you enjoyed the tale of...master and padawan. :D

Black_Scout: Qui the Emperor. There's a reason for everything he does. :)

Fluff-Slayer: <relieves F_S's brain of all the strain> Indeed. Qui is a wise teacher. I've asked him for some special classes...[face_love]

stormqueen874: Sweet of you. Thanks. It is a treat, watching them aside from missions, isn't it? :)

23. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    It is a treat, watching them aside from missions, isn't it?

It really is! I'm glad you're here to write such wonderful fics; they really make my day.

Stormqueen

24. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

<gasps for breath> oh my, that was simply wonderful!

I was looking for a good read, and so I went along to your profile, chose a fic and...

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] You rock, no doubt about it!

As if on cue, all twelve masters trained their eyes and attention on Jedi master Qui-Gon Jinn, whose leggings fell in a mass of cloth over his boots; whose sleeves?one of which hung loose from his finger, while the other ended somewhere below his elbow, and his cloak, one end of which swept the floor, while the other barely clung to his shoulder.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

25. OrganaKnight

OrganaKnight Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2005
    Mmm, cocky our master Jinn is, oh yes. In need of more, and considerably more humiliating, experiences, he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.