main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Two Worlds - Obi/Qui/Yoda/OCs *Updated 7/1*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kadi, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Title: Two Worlds
    Author: Kadi
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, OCs

Put your faith in what you most believe in
    Two worlds, one family
    Trust your heart
    Let fate decide
    To guide these lives we see
    ~Two Worlds by Phil Collins

Chapter 1

Wide eyes surveyed the scene. The atmosphere of the house, usually happy and loud, was silent for once. The parents listened intently as they learned the destiny awaiting their child. The mother was obviously trying to be strong for her family, but tears were shining in her eyes as she held the tiny boy close. Her sad gaze momentarily moved to the Padawan standing behind the Master.

Their eyes met.

Obi-Wan broke the contact first, and instead focused on his clasped hands. He was turning 14 years soon, and already had faced more dangerous situations than the local authorities could brag, but here his courage failed him. He couldn?t meet the teary gaze of a mother.

The Padawan had never felt so ashamed to be a Jedi as he did at that moment.

He heard, rather than saw, a gentle kiss placed on the babe?s head. His master shifted beside him as he accepted the precious bundle into his arms. Over their bond Qui-Gon signaled it was time to leave. The Jedi bowed in respect to the parents, as was the custom, for their sacrifice, then calmly left the home. Obi-Wan closed the door behind them.

He wasn?t fast enough to shut out the sobs, which began to fill the living room.

The sobs filled the air around him, deafening in his ears. His body felt frozen in time.

This was wrong. All wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Jedi were supposed to do good, not leave harm in their wake. This wasn?t right.

?Padawan.? Qui-Gon?s voice was urgent, yet gentle. Obi-Wan turned to face his master, who stood a little ways down the road, their precious delivery in his arms. The Master met his eyes. ?Obi-Wan, wake up.?

?What??

?Wake up, Padawan.?

Obi-Wan?s eyes opened slowly, blinking to clear the sleep from them. Qui-Gon?s concerned face hovered above him, filling his vision. ?Master??

?You were dreaming, Padawan.? Qui-Gon sat back as his charge pushed himself up.

?Dreaming.? Obi-Wan repeated, slowly taking in his surroundings. They were in the small sleep quarters of their transport, which was currently on its way back to Coruscant. A sleep couch was pressed against either wall, and a crib rested at the foot of the couch opposite the door. The dream had felt so real. It had been real, in the past. He smiled in embarrassment. ?Nothing but a memory.? Whether this was said to reassure himself or his master, he didn?t know.

Qui-Gon was not convinced. ?I believe it is more than a memory, Obi-Wan. Talk to me.? So far the boy had remained silent about their mission. He could feel the emotions brewing beneath the calm exterior, and had expected his Padawan to confide in him a lot sooner. This wasn?t like Obi-Wan.

The boy stared down at his hands, which were fidgeting with the thin blanket. ?Master-?

A shrill cry filled the room, demanding attention. Qui-Gon was instantly at the side of the crib. Obi-Wan tried not to groan. Why anyone would want a baby was beyond him? It cried all the time, ate at least 3 times it?s body weight, and then, to make matters worse, most of what went in came out of one end or the other. He wasn?t sure which was worse, the smells it could produce, or the sounds. How a tiny baby could produce such horrific noises amazed him. Obi-Wan considered it baffling that the human race had managed to thrive.

Even more baffling was that Qui-Gon Jinn seemed completely oblivious to the horrors of the newborn.

At the moment he was holding the terror close, humming something under his breath, as he rocked back and forth. The baby let out a few whimpers as it fell back to sleep.

Obi-Wan reached down to adjust his blanket, then laid back down. Maybe now he could get back to sleep. A moment later, the mattress sank as Qui-Gon sat back down.

?Now, where were

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    That was very well done. :) . A different take on retrieval missions - and I liked the way you took the story into the transport. Also, the fact that Qui-Gon's very confortable with babies, while Obi thinks about them as squealing bundles of 'smell' and sound. :)

Also liked Qui-Gon's explanation of how parents might feel. Great work.

3. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    ooooh *rubs hands in anticipation* Classic dilema, and I love how you've described Obi-Wan's feelings. The portayal is excellent. The emotions are great, and the dialogue is good, too. You will keep going, right?

4. JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004
    What an intresting start. It's really good. Please keep going with it. It would be intresting to hear this story.

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    very interesting start to your story

6. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Interesting start! :)

I liked that Obi-Wan was willing to be bold in his questioning to receive an answer he felt he really needed in order to understand the Jedi's justification in accepting new recruits. :)

7. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Very nice beginning. More soon!!

8. Kadi

Mar 24, 2004
    Thanks all! :D Just a short chapter until I get time to sit down and write.

Chapter 2

?Babies hate me.?

Qui-Gon looked up from his datapad in amusement as Obi-Wan entered the cockpit.

?Nonsense, Obi-Wan. Babies cannot hate anyone.?

Obi-Wan sat down in the pilot?s seat, arms crossed. ?There is a first time for everything.?

The Master?s sharp eyes took in the wet spots on his Padawan?s tunic. He had given the boy the task to feed and burb their charge. Obi-Wan had been less than thrilled. His smile grew. ?It is a natural reaction, Obi-Wan. It can happen to anyone.?

He didn?t look convinced, but refrained from commenting. The two sat in companionable silence. Obi-Wan stared out at the hyperspace lines as his Master looked back at whatever he was reading. Qui-Gon waited, knowing something was on the boy?s mind, different from what they?d discussed the night before.

?Master??

?Yes, Padawan??

?Do you ever regret not knowing your parents??

Qui-Gon set down his datapad. So that was it. ?Do you??

?I?ve never really thought about it until now.? He met his Master?s eyes. ?I don?t regret being raised as a Jedi.? Obi-Wan sighed. ?I just wonder what my parents are like, and if I have any siblings. ?

?Being a Jedi isn?t easy. We?re denied what most people take for granted.? He smiled gently, holding up a finger. ?However, that?s only looking at it from one point of view. What would you call the Order in relation to you? Who are the younglings that were in your clan? Or the crèche masters??

?My family.?

?Then, from a certain point of view you have many siblings, and many parents. In fact, I believe you inherited your snore from Master Yoda.?

Obi-Wan snorted. ?Master, I do not snore. If anyone snores, it is you.?

?What happened to respecting your Master?? Qui-Gon demanded, although Obi-Wan knew he was teasing. He treasured being able to interact with his Master on this level.

?A Jedi is supposed to always tell the truth.? Obi-Wan stated innocently.

Qui-Gon laughed. He reached out and ruffled the boy?s short hair, eliciting a cry of mock-protest. Just then, a different type of cry filled the cockpit, coming from the room towards the back of their ship. Sighing, Qui-Gon stood, and disappeared into the back, leaving Obi-Wan alone with his thoughts.

9. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    very cute!

10. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Very sweet! I enjoyed your take on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. And Obi's frustration was funny and believable. :D Nah, babies don't hate you, kid. Don't give up.

Keep writing!

11. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ahhhh the famous ruffling of the hair! [face_love] Isn't it so cute!!! :D

'Tis a natural reaction normally to those who are not familiar with babes. Folks auto think the youngin's don't like'em :)

Great chapter! :D

12. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    OOH! A baby fic! I looove babies. (Esp making them cry. [face_skull] This looks interesting. More?

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I missed this earlier and I am very sorry I did. But at least I got to read two great chapters without missing a beat.

?Babies hate me.?

Qui-Gon looked up from his datapad in amusement as Obi-Wan entered the cockpit.

?Nonsense, Obi-Wan. Babies cannot hate anyone.?

Obi-Wan sat down in the pilot?s seat, arms crossed. ?There is a first time for everything.?

I could hear a forlorn Obi-Wan making that statement! :D

Loved it! More soon? [face_batting]

14. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    I like your versions of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. :)

Poor Obi, thinking a baby hates him just because he's doing normal baby things like spitting up and such! :D Can't wait to read more!

15. Kadi

Mar 24, 2004
    Thanks all. :) I'd like to write a longer response, but I really need to get to bed. Just got back from the theater after seeing ROTS twice. Great movie, although it was heartbreaking during the last hour or so. (I won't mention details in case someone reading this hasn't seen it yet.)

Here's another short post. I'll try to make the next one longer.

Chapter 3

The crèche was located near the center of the Temple, the most protected section of the building. While it was unthinkable that anyone would or could attack the Jedi Temple, they would not take any chances with their precious younglings.

One of the crèche masters noticed the Master/Padawan pair standing at the door and silently glided over. Master Moon Ysthara, her silver hair accenting her deep blue eyes, pulled the blanket away to gaze at the child.

?Oh, the precious one.? She breathed as Qui-Gon transferred the weight into her arms. ?The Order thanks you Master Jinn.? Her eyes moved to the Padawan. ?And you, Padawan Kenobi.? While her voice remained soft and soothing, out of both character and habit, she placed emphasis on his title. Her eyes shone with pride. He had been one of her young ones. It filled her heart with joy to see any of them fulfill their dreams of becoming apprenticed. Obi-Wan smiled back, no words needed to see the care he still had for his previous caretaker. She nodded once, before turning back to Qui-Gon, determined to find out all information he knew about the child.

Obi-Wan?s eyes drifted around the room. The lighting was low and comforting, as crèche masters drifted from crib to crib, checking on the newborns. The Force was strong in this room, but different from how it felt in any other section of the Temple. It sang around them.

It took a certain amount of skill to direct a Force lullaby. Only the crèche masters were able to create them, after years of experience. It took a different type of control than that used by field operators. A few Masters were temple renown for the symphonies they were able to create.

The Force flowed around them in a silent melody. The masters in the crèche would weave intricate harmonies in the Force that could rival any composed symphony just to calm a youngling. Obi-Wan had no memories of his time here, as the toddlers were housed in a different section of the crèche. However, being back in this room made him unconsciously relax, and the song a master was singing near him sounded vaguely familiar.

?Padawan.?

Obi-Wan snapped out of his thoughts, realizing his Master had been trying to get his attention for several moments.

?Yes Master??

?It?s time to go.?

?Yes Master.?

He grinned sheepishly up at Master Ysthara, before following Qui-Gon out of the crèche.

Their quarters were rather small, compared to most on Coruscant, but comfortable nonetheless. It consisted of two rooms, one slightly larger than the other, a sitting room, and a small kitchenette. Because of Qui-Gon?s seniority as a Master, they had a room on the outer of edge of the Temple, so they had an actual window. It looked out towards the Galactic Senate, which Obi-Wan was thankful for. Quarters on the other side of the Temple faced the Industrial Sector.

Qui-Gon drifted over to the com-unit to check on any messages they may have received. Obi-Wan walked into the comfort of his own room, placing their small travel bag on his sleep couch. He quickly sorted through what needed to be cleaned, before carrying Qui-Gon?s belongings to the Master?s room.

Obi-Wan stopped in mid-stride when he noticed the frown on his Master?s face, who was still sitting at the communicator. ?What is it??

?Master Yoda has summoned us, at our soonest convenience.?

That did not seem so unusual. ?Another mission??

?Perhaps.? Qui-Gon murmured, hands clasped before his mouth. Whatever had concerned him, he didn?t choose to share. ?Finish what you are doing. It is not wise to keep Yoda waiting long.?

Feedback is always nice. :D

16. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Cute! I liked Obi-Wan's reaction to the creche, and his embarrassment when Qui-Gon "caught" him. :D

Ooh, and Yoda wants a meeting. Wonder what's up with that? [face_question]

Good job! I meant to post earlier, but the board was being annoying.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ch. 1 - I liked how Obi-Wan was confused with the pain he saw the family going through and glad that Qui-Gon insisted he talk about it. Obi-Wan's thoughts of babies was amusing. Good for Obi-Wan to be truthful and I loved Qui-Gon's answer to his question.

Ch 2 - Cure banter between master and padawan, I like dQui-Gon's take on family and the Order.

Ch 3 - That first paragraph leaves me sad just thinking about ROTS. :( :( Okay, the creach master's pride in seeing Obi-Wan a padawan made me smile again. :) :)

Lovely fic Kadi!!

18. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Very true about the flashes of ROTS *sobs*

anyways, great writing. Can't wait to see what Yoda has ready for them

19. Daja

Daja Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I thoroughly enjoyed this! It all seems so flowing and natural. I love the portrayl of Qui-Gon and Obi-wan, particuarly the dialogue, casual and meaningful at the same time. The creche scene was described wonderfully.
    No quiffs whatsoever!

20. Kadi

Mar 24, 2004
    maychorian - Ooh, and Yoda wants a meeting. Wonder what's up with that? You'll find out soon enough. ;)

Healer Leona - Welcome! And thanks for the comments. :D

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi - Can't wait to see what Yoda has ready for them Knowing Yoda, something unexpected.

Daja - I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) And welcome.

Next post will be longer. Life is finally starting to slow down, so I'm going to have time to sit down and write. :D

Chapter 4

Master Yoda?s office was located in the same tower as the Jedi High Council, beneath the spire where the Council chamber was located. Mace Windu?s and Ki-Adi Mundi?s offices were also located on the same level, as well as a private meditation room reserved only for the Council. Unlike the other Councilors, Yoda didn?t possess a desk.

Yoda was seated on one of his meditation cushions as the two Jedi entered. A slight nod of his head was his only acknowledgement of the two. Master and Padawan bowed in respect, before settling on cushions opposite the ancient Master.

?Successful, your mission was?? His eyes were closed, as if he was still meditating. Obi-Wan found the question peculiar. Surely Master Yoda had received their report of the success earlier.

?Yes Master. The child has been delivered healthy and safe to the crèche.? Qui-Gon replied, long legs folded under him. He savored this small routine between himself and the older Master. Any regularity in a Jedi?s life was always welcome.

?Good.? Several moments passed before he finally sighed and opened his eyes, taking in the pair. ?New mission, I have for you.?

Obi-Wan glanced at his Master, who once again wore the troubled frown from earlier.

Yoda held out a clawed hand towards a small shelf in the corner, calling a holodisc to him. Like everything else in the office, the shelf was sparsely filled. A statue from Kashyyk, a few holodiscs like the one Yoda now held, and an actual bound book, it?s title worn away with use that only the first letter could be made out. P. ?Deliver this, you will, to Beccus. Expecting it, Governor Benik, is.? He dropped it in Qui-Gon?s hand, who automatically slipped it into one of his pouches. ?Leave today, you must.?

?Yes, my Master.? Qui-Gon replied, standing up. Obi-Wan followed his lead, hiding his surprise. That was it? They were to be couriers? Surely this didn?t warrant a private meeting with Yoda. He started to bow to the old Master, but stopped when his Master didn?t do the same. Instead, Qui-Gon just stood there, hands folded in his robe, staring down expectantly at the Councilor.

Yoda stared back for a moment, then chuckled deep in his throat. ?Reports, I have, of Force-blessed child in area. Bring to Temple, you will. May the Force be with you.?

Qui-Gon nodded and finally bowed.

?Master, is something wrong?? Obi-Wan asked later that evening over dinner. Once again they were on a shuttle. Such was the life of a Jedi; long periods of nothing but waiting. Since Beccus was in the Core, they would arrive at the planet the next morning.

Qui-Gon seemed to notice for the first time that his Padawan sat across from him. ?Why do you ask, Padawan??

?You seem troubled.? When the older man remained silent, Obi-Wan continued. ?Ever since Master Yoda contacted you, you?ve been distant.?

?I sense something?elusive...but distant.? His Master sighed. ?It is nothing, Obi-Wan. Just an old man?s eccentricities.?

21. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    OOH. Another little kid. Muahahaha.

22. Daja

Daja Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Another well worded scene, I particuarly liked Yoda, as always but quite short. The skipping from scene to scene brought about by the short posts makes it difficult... hmm.... settle in? Don't worry about readers or slipping down the list if you wait to long to post. I will gladly wait for what ever you've written.

23. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Very nicely done- I'll happily hang around for more

24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    I highly doubt Qui's feelings are 'and old man eccentricities.' How do I saw...I have a bad feeling about this? ;)

More soon!

25. Kadi

Mar 24, 2004
    Thanks everyone for sticking around. :) And as a token of my appreciation, here's a longer post. ;)

Chapter 5

Beccus was a non-descript world near the edge of the Core. From the reading he had done while in hyperspace, Obi-Wan had determined that nothing interesting had ever happened there. And nothing ever would.

It was inhabited mainly by humans, although there was a healthy alien presence as well in the main cities. The planet itself consisted of three continents that covered most of the planet, surrounded by several small oceans and seas. Their economy was good, their tourism low (which was normal), and feuds between the people were basically non-existent.

All in all, Obi-Wan guessed it was going to be a boring mission. He wondered what was so important that Yoda?s message could not be sent by com. This insignificant planet surely couldn?t warrant Master Yoda?s attention?and yet, here they were.

At Qui-Gon?s direction, Obi-Wan easily directed their shuttle towards the landing bay in the capital city of Dennin. Unsurprisingly, there was plenty of space. Without needing to be told, Obi-Wan quickly shut down all systems the moment they set down, before rushing to join his Master on the landing ramp.

A short, stout man was already positioned several feet away from their ship. He nervously nodded to the Jedi as they approached, beads of sweat forming on his balding forehead.

?Welcome to Beccus, Master Jedi.? The man stuttered. ?I am Dev Toff, assistant to King Regin. His highness has requested an audience with you?if it is not much trouble on your part. We people of Beccus do not like to cause trouble, especially to esteemed persons such as yourself.?

Qui-Gon looked down on the assistant with amusement as he held up a hand, halting the man in his speech. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed Obi-Wan duck his head as he unsuccessfully suppressed a smile. Thankfully their hoods were up, keeping Toff from noticing.

?It will be no trouble at all, Assistant Toff.?

?Oh.? Toff?s eyes darted between the two of them, almost fearfully. ?Ah. In that case, I have a transport to?transport you to the palace.?

With that, he spun around and hurried off, expecting the Jedi to follow. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan did, although at a more sedate pace.

?Assistant Toff seems rather?nervous, Master.? Obi-Wan commented quietly, so as not to be overheard. That was unlikely, however, for Toff had begun to mutter to himself about something. ?Could something actually be taking place here??

?Perhaps.? Qui-Gon replied, studying their escort. Before Obi-Wan could ask, he continued. ?What I sense is still elusive. I do not think it has anything to do with the assistant, or the king. However, we will have to be patient and see.?

The trip to the palace was short, even though the palace was on the other side of the city. As he watched the scenery flash by Obi-Wan recalled what little else had been in the file on Beccus. The government was a strange one. It was a democracy, as the governing officials were elected, but also made use of a monarchy, with certain legal positions being inherited. The planet was split into sectors, each of which elected a governor as their head. All governors met once a year in the capital city of Dennin, where they voted on the laws of the planet. Before this meeting, the people of the various sectors would vote on these laws, and the outcome of these votes would determine how the governor would vote. The king presided over all the sectors, and had the ability to veto any law. This was unlikely, as the people of Beccus had the ability to impeach the monarch if they saw fit. The governors were elected every five years, whereas the monarch was elected every 10. However, if the official, whether the monarch or one of the governors, happened to die during their term, a family member inherited the title.

Obi-Wan shook his head. It was a strange system, but it seemed to be working for the people. Realizing his mind was wandering, he focused on the moment. They were just ap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.