main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Prodigal Son (post-RotS AU; Obi/Ani); A/N 8/3/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-Princess-Solo, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Princess-Solo

Jedi-Princess-Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    ~What if the duel had ended with slightly different results?~

I've had this idea in my head for a while, but decided to wait until after RotS came out to start it, since it would be SPOILER heavy in certain parts. Essentially, it's one look at how things might have gone had Anakin not been stuck in the suit. I've used some aspects of the novelization , as well as the movie, so little detials might seem odd if you haven't read the novel, but it's not necessary to follow the story. Hope you guys enjoy the ride!

~JPS~

2. Jedi-Princess-Solo

Jedi-Princess-Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2002

[b][i]Never cease loving a person, and never give up hope for him, for even the prodigal son who had fallen most low, could still be saved; the bitterest enemy and also he who was your friend could again be your friend; love that has grown cold can kindle again. [/i] -Sören Kierkegaard[/b]

[hr]

Another day.

Time passed inexplicably in the barren sands of Tatooine.

Day stretched on endlessly under the scorching fire of the twin suns high overhead, and the chill that fell with the dark canvas across the night sky lingered long after the first rays of sunlight began to peek over the rocky mesas in the morning.

A world of extremes, and of extreme danger.

The danger went beyond the krayt dragons and the Sand People, it was part of the planet itself, deeply ingrained in every bit of sand and rock.

By day, the endless sea of coarse sand was broiling and scalding, but once the twin suns fell, the desert world took on a frigid atmosphere, harsh winds howling outside every door. With air as dry and bitter as the sand underfoot, acrid and completely parched, it seemed an inhospitable place at first glance, yet there was life among the scorched sands.

Those who called Tatooine home were of a solid mold, rough and battered, but strong in both body and spirit. It was a necessity, that strength, when you lived in a world that was constantly trying to kill you.

Yoda had voiced some reservations about sending the boy off to grow up in such a harsh place, but it was the right place for young Luke.

Owen and Beru were good people, the closest thing he had to family, and they would raise him well.

And if Anakin had survived this place, as a slave no less, so could his son.

There were days, however, when Obi-Wan Kenobi wondered if he himself could survive a lifetime in this desolate wasteland, and just who would guide Luke to his fated path if he were to simply collapse in the sand.

He was beginning to hate sand as much as his former Padawan had.

Once, a lifetime ago after a particularly stressful incident with said Padawan, then a twelve year-old bundle of terror, he had vowed that as soon as the boy ascended to Knighthood, he was going to take a long vacation on some remote desert world.

The Force, it seemed, had a taste for irony.

After three long years in the barren, desolate wastelands of Tatooine, the twin suns scorching everything their rays could touch, Obi-Wan Kenobi would have given anything to see water again. He wasn't picky, it wouldn't have had to be the fathomless oceans of Mon Calamari, where water went as far as the eye could see, or even the majestic waterfalls of Naboo.

Water, of any kind, would have been a sight for sore eyes.

But of course, that was only a dream, wishful thinking that was the product of an old man's longing. Water, like so many other precious things that he had taken for granted, was out of his reach now.

In the distance, a krayt dragon was calling for its mate.

Obi-Wan picked up his pace a little, drawing his dusty robe closer around his frame as he continued his weary trek back from his nightly vigil on the edge of the Lars homestead.

It bothered Owen for him to be on Tatooine at all, but Anakin's stepbrother couldn't deny that having a Jedi Master- albeit an exiled failure of one- nearby was invaluable when raising a Force-sensitive child, especially one as strong in the Force as Luke.

Sometimes Obi-Wan wondered how Shmi had managed all those years with Anakin.

He'd never met the woman, of course, he'd only ever been to Tatooine with Qui-Gon that once and had remained with the ship while his Master ventured into Mos Espa, but he felt a kinship with her just the same. They had both tried a hand at raising her son, after all, though it was inarguable that she had faired better.

That day when he'd first arrived at the Lars homestead to give Luke into the care of his uncle and aunt, Obi-Wan had stopped at Shmi's grave for a moment, strangely compelled to offer up some form of apology.

She had trusted the Jedi to prote

3. Trickster_Goddess

Trickster_Goddess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2003
    This looks really interesting so far, JPS. I can't wait to see where it all goes.

I saw the midnight premiere last night- it was so sad, I'm off to watch RotJ just to remind myself it's all okay, lol, that there was a happy ending :p ;)

4. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    this is really good, more please!!

5. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    VERY intriguing. It doesn't change the duel too much, just gives Anakin one small reason to turn to Obi-Wan. Can't wait for more!

6. Luthe

Luthe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    ::wibble:: Yes yes yes. Good boy! Good Ani! And Obi-Wan! So much less a bastard than you are in canon! ::loves them both::

7. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Wow, just wow. The writing of Obi-Wan's angst was perfect.

8. jedi-solo-fel

jedi-solo-fel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 27, 2002
    This looks to be another fantastic work, Jedi-Princess-Solo :D

Poor Obi-Wan... 3 years in the desert, and then out of the blue Anakin shows up- he's just not having an easy day, is he?

9. HanSolosGal

HanSolosGal Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 22, 2004
    WOW! This looks really kewl! I too saw the midnight premiere, which ROCKED! ANyway, keep up with the good work!

10. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    This is great so far. Great job conveying all of Obi-Wan's conflicted emotions concerning Obi-Wan. And that must of been a shock to him at the end. Can't wait to see more.

11. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, I can't wait to see where this goes. :)

12. AngelofDarkness

AngelofDarkness Jedi Master star 2

Aug 25, 2002
    You finally started posting this :D

Great first post, you really conveyed how tormented Obi-Wan is by the past. And when Ani showed up... yeesh, what a shocker for the poor guy. Me thinks a certain jedi Master might be in need of a stiff drink :p ;)

13. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    This is an excellent start. Please post more soon.

14. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Great start. =D=

Can't wait to see where you take this.

15. Skarlaya

Skarlaya Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2004
    This looks to be another interesting work, JPS- I look forward to the next post :)

16. JainaSoloSkywalker

JainaSoloSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2002
    Excellent stuff so far :D

17. Goddess_Jaya

Goddess_Jaya Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    Wowzer. I'm not an OT girl, but your What-If scenerios always get me hooked. Exactly when is this set? I know it has to be at least a few months after ROTS, but is it any longer?

Oh, and great post!

18. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Anakin_Heartbreaker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    This is awesome! :)

You did a fantastic job of conveying Obi-Wan's thoughts, his feelings and his dilemma.

The mental anguish must have been unbearable, knowing that he let Anakin live. But now, Anakin is lying before him...I truly can't wait to see where this is going. I hope you post soon! :)

19. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    Oh, this is good. I really like this. Very intriguing, and it seems very well-thought out. Poor Obi-Wan! Anakin just showing up like that was a shock!

Update soon!

20. Jedi_Linewalker

Jedi_Linewalker Jedi Master star 2

May 1, 2005
    Emotional and vivid, realistic and captivating. Excellent job

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oooh, I am enjoying this very much! You have Obi-Wan's emotions down perfectly! :D

Eager for more! :D

22. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Joining the Throng in saying MORE PLEASE!

The fact that Obi-Wan is constantly mulling the decisions that he made over the last few years is just like him. But seems like his reasoning is a little circular.

S.

23. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
  24. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I love this! :D Definitely interesting twist with Anakin not getting the blacksuit and all. :) Can't wait for more.

25. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    Whoa! Through most of it, I was thinking, "How is this AU? This matches up so well with the movie and the book!" and then--bam!--you laid it on us! You're evil, you know. [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.