main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm Counting On You_____________sequel to If I Don't Catch You

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Julie, Feb 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    YES, this is a sequel! You must read "If I Don't Catch You" and "I Won't Fail You" first or you won't understand this one. (go to my website to get them) If you have read the "If I Don't Catch You" story thread on this board, then you are fine. This story begins *immediately* after that thread's conculsion as was demand...err, requested. ;)

Title: I'm Counting On You
    Category: Prequel Alternate Universe (Qui-gon LIVES) *heehee*
    Summary: Anakin is 14 years old and has learned and suffered much during his first year as a Padawan, but now he must face a greater challenge - regaining Qui-gon and Obi-wan's trust.
    Rated PG (I think)
    Website with fan art for this story: http://tallterror.homestead.com
    Disclaimer: Anakin, Obi-Wan, & Qui-Gon, etc. belong to George Lucas. I'm just playing. An-Paj is a brilliant character created by Jane Jinn! Huge thanks to Jane for letting me borrow him!

Dedicated to my wonderful brother, Jonathan, who out of the blue bought and gave me a new 17-inch monitor and wouldn't let me pay him for it. :)

/Thoughts/
    <Telepathic communication>

Part 1

Anakin Skywalker stood on the ship's platform dismally. It was a typical Coruscant morning. The cheery sun glinted off of the polished ships that filled the skylanes. The expanse of metal towers was no more appealing then the dunes of Tatooine had been, but at least all the activity gave him something to watch.

/I *really* don't like this./ Anakin did his best not to let his anxiety show on his face. /Who am I kidding? I absolutely hate this./

"It will be over before you know it, Ani." Qui-gon responded to the teenager's mood and the reason behind it.

Anakin gave up trying to look strong and just sulked. He knew he deserved this after his behavior on their last mission. Out right disobeying your masters on your very first mission with them was un-heard of. And for Anakin it had been a colossal mistake that had nearly ended with his death. He'd hoped that perhaps the Council would decide that his suffering in the hands of the Sith would be considered punishment enough. But no, until his masters decided that he was trustworthy enough to obey, Anakin would not be allowed to leave the Jedi Temple.

And so, Anakin stood beside Obi-wan as Master Qui-gon bid them farewell. He was leaving on a mission, without them. The galaxy needed the Jedi out there and Obi-wan was scheduled to leave on his own mission in just a few weeks as well, and without Anakin.

"I don't like it either," Obi-wan murmured. "And you aren't making this any easier on yourself, Ani."

"I know," Anakin mumbled. "But he's leaving *now*! He won't be here when the Council interrogates me!"

The two of them watched sorrowfully as the sleek Republic ship took off. Obi-wan sighed. Anakin looked at him waiting for a reply, /Obi-wan is probably dreading having to cope with me alone. He's always had Master Qui-gon to help keep me out of trouble before./ Anakin reflected.

"You know neither of us may defend you, Anakin," Obi-wan reminded him.

"I don't see why I have to face them alone."

"You will be fine, Ani. They just want to hear what you remember of the Sith actions and what the Sith told you. The Council will not judge you."

Anakin looked at him askance, "It doesn't feel that way."

"Don't worry about it. You've stood up to the Council several times before."

"Yeah," Anakin answered. "But I hadn't done something wrong those times!"

"The Council will not even discuss that, Ani. The purpose of this session is only to determine what goals the Sith have concerning you."

"And to make sure I'm not buying into it," Anakin smarted back.

Obi-wan looked at him coolly, but did not reply. He didn't need to. Anakin blanched.

"I'm sorry, Master," Anakin slumped. /I really need to keep my mouth shut. The last thing I need to do is drive off my only ally currently at the Temple./

"Ani, the Council members know you better now that they have each instructed you. They will not be so quick to think the worst of you."

/Yoda

2. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    Yay! Yay! I thought you had said you weren't going to do a sequel...nevermind, this is great! :)

I'm happy, in case you couldn't tell. :)

3. Knight_Maria

Knight_Maria Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    WOO HOO!! I didn't think that you'd be doing a sequel either, but this is GREAT!!!

4. SkySaber

SkySaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2000
    Oh Yes!!! Can't wait for this, Julie!!!

5. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    OOooo yes!!!
    Kaely is SOO funny. Funnily enough she reminds me of one of our cats! *G*

More soon!

6. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great post, Julie! I'm glad to see that you have started your sequel. Wonderful job with the characters once again.

7. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

YESSSSS! Yay, I am so glad to see this! After seeing how awesome Ani is going to turn out (eventually *grin*) I can't wait to see the rest of his journey! Awesome post, I loved his inner thoughts! And, of course, Kaely :)

aa :)

8. Liara

Liara Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2000
    nice a sequel this is so good

9. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    What a great surprise! I had NO idea you were planning a sequel, Julie. This rocks!

10. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Good post Julie.

11. Kit

Kit Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2001
    I was hoping you'd do the "in-betweens"!
    Now, I won't be depressed that the Road Less Traveled is finishing! :)
    Oh, and "we really want a new part every evening"!
    (But only if you have time)
    - Kit

12. t65flyer

t65flyer Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2000
    YAY a sequel!!!! :)

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree with everybody above, this is a wonderful surprise.

You've already got me hooked with Anakin's worries and Kaely's amusing antics.

Post often, post soon.

14. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Thank you everyone! :) Yes I have prepared a post for tonight, I'll probably send it around 5pm board time.
    :D

15. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Oooh! Great start, Julie! Post soon!

16. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Hip, Hip, Hurray. A sequel to one of the best stories i read on this board so far.

I have only one concern: I hope you´re not going to kill Queen Amidala as you have mentioned in "The Road less traveled"

17. Jedi_Ra

Jedi_Ra Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2000
    Hooray! There's more!! <sets up camp> I'll be sticking around to see how this saga continues!

18. Knight_Maria

Knight_Maria Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Dito! *starts handing out sticks for hotdogs and marshmellows*

19. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it! I was afraid that only a few people would respond since its been a two months since the 2nd story was finished.

Part 2

Anakin walked alone into the Jedi Council Chamber quietly. It was the first time the whole Council had seen him since Anakin was rushed to the infirmary just two weeks before. A few had managed to visit him while he was recovering from his surgery and after his dip in the bacta tank, but even they were surprised when Anakin approached.

Anakin Skywalker's whole being was actually passive. They had worried that his abduction and torture by the Sith would antagonize, anger, and spur him to vengeance. Or even worse make Anakin over-confident, after all, he did kill one of the Sith.

Instead, his capture had resulted in a dramatic change and they were un-prepared for the docile teenager who stood before them now. His normal brash attitude and cool self-assuredness was gone. The entire Council gave a collective mental sigh of relief. They had spent the last week debating over what to do a reckless and dangerous Anakin Skywalker, yet they never reached a decision. So now the Council was stuck with a new dilemma. What do you do with a humble Anakin Skywalker? And how long would he stay that way?

"How are you feeling, Anakin?" Mace Windu asked him kindly.

"Much better, sir," Anakin answered meekly. His whole demeanor was despondent.

"We'd like you to tell us everything you remember about the Sith's actions and what they said after you entered the ship."

With great trepidation, Anakin began to relate what had happened, "I was hit from behind in the cockpit. I never sensed her attack at all. I don't know how long I was out, but I do know that she drugged me. When I woke up I tried to leave the ship's cabin she'd put me in. But the Sith beat me until I passed out."

In almost a whisper he said, "She probably killed the other pilot."

Anakin's voice had grown softer and softer. Realizing this he took a deep breath and plunged onward, "Everything after that is very blurry. I don't think she drugged me again. She didn't need to. She put pressure on my mind and fogged me up so much I could barely concentrate."

Master Tiin leaned forward, "What about your mental shields?"

Anakin stiffened and his voice was strained as he answered, "They weren't good enough. I remember waking up several times, and trying to heal myself, but each time I became too aware, she'd lash out at my mind and I'd pass out again."

"Did you attempt to leave the room again?" Master Depa asked softly.

"No, ma'am."

"As this happened, how felt you?"

The look Anakin gave Yoda held none of the brazen impudence that he'd come to expect from the boy. Rather Anakin was contrite and subdued.

"I was very confused, and I kept feeling like I was doing the same things over and over. Which now I know I was. I never got a chance to get past realizing why I was in pain before the Sith would attack again."

Anakin waited for the inevitable response. /This is the perfect place for Master Yoda to say, 'About this, how feel you *now*?"/ Anakin though glumly. Yoda, without fail, took every opportunity to test or question Anakin. But to his great surprise, the old Jedi Master seemed to take pity on him and remained silent.

"What do you remember next?" Eeth Koth inquired.

"I woke in that strange cell. It was completely dark and I felt awful."

Mace leaned forward in his chair, "Were you able to heal yourself then?"

"I," Anakin paused to take a deep breath. "I didn't really try much. I was too tired. But I was able to walk a little, but then I had other things to worry about."

"Like what?"

"I couldn't sense anything outside of the cell at first, I couldn't even tell how thick the walls were. Kaely found the only door, which was in the ceiling. And -"

Anakin lost his voice again. But the Council waited patiently for him to continue. The teenager's stress and nervousness rolled out from him in waves.

"And then I r

20. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Good post Julie.

21. Jedi_Ra

Jedi_Ra Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2000
    <crawls out of her tent> Wow! Will the council tell him of the prophesy? (I know he knows, but I don't know if they know that he knows what he knows.. hey! I just used the same word 6 times in one sentence:)

More?

<returns to tending the campfire>

22. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Ohh...nice build up of suspense, Julie!
    I can't wait to see how Anakin's going to deal with the possible burden/privilege of being the Chosen One.

Two posts in and I'm hooked!

23. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    I wonder if they'll be honest with him...I wonder if he can handle it. Anakin seems almost fragile now that he's trying to deal with what happened.

Great post!

24. Julie

Aug 1, 1998
    Thank you swf, Jedi_Ra, Lina and ami-padme! :)
    Yes Anakin is rather fragile right now. Over the past month he's had shock after shock and he's not looking forward to the reprecussions of his actions.

25. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great job, Julie! The Council scene was well put together as always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.