main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Etching of an Ancient Face: The Birth of Ben (Obi-Wan One Shot)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Etching of an Ancient Face
    The Birth of Ben

IIIIIOIIIII

By LuvEwan

PG

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me.

Obi-Wan finds a new name, years before he has reason to use it. A response to the Obi-Wan Character Workshop Challenge, but it went over the word limit, and is quite bloated. Thanks to o_e for her wonderful challenge ideas that have sparked the imaginations of so many of us. :)

IIIIIOIIIII

?Here at last
    You see your ancient face.? ?Lee Alexander

IIIIIOIIIII

The departing footfalls scraped softly against the powdered dirt floor. The shadows of the elders stretched long, nearly touching the dark floods cast by the lone two figures remaining in the Se?harzia spirit cave.

Spirit cave. That in of itself had stirred skepticism in Obi-Wan Kenobi towards those things thick in mystic folklore, things that could not be explained or sorted through logical process.

His fingers ghosted along the delicate rim of the translucent bulb, which was swelling with deep liquid of a mahogany hue. The scent drifted, to skirt around his nostrils. It reminded him of the sapir tea his Master so relished. Earthy and strong. Just, he reflected with the smallest curve of his lips, like Qu-Gon Jinn himself.

Obi-Wan glanced at the man then, drinking in his appearance with the customary mélange of pride and awe.

They sat, cross-legged and facing each other, beyond the cave?s craggy mouth, on the patch of hearth where black melded with the fading scarlet flourish of the day.

The liquid-filled bulb seemed to disappear within the blunt fingers, base cradled in the wide palm. To another set of eyes, it might look as though the fragile object would be crushed, but Obi-Wan knew better. Qui-Gon Jinn had the stature and intimidation befitting a giant?but his heart was that of a nurturer. Obi-Wan indeed knew this, better than anyone.

The little bulbs began to glow amber in the shifting ambience, ?set afire by the glory of the sky?.

And that?s when they knew it was time.

Obi-Wan released a quiet sigh, and studied the sacred Se?harzia nectar. He felt the weight of a curious gaze, and looked up.

?My young Padawan, ? Qui-Gon said, very softly, ?You appear less than eager.?

Despite his twenty-two years, and extensive training in control and absolute composure, Obi-Wan felt the heat of a flush start in his cheeks. ?I apologize, Master. It?s just?? He again regarded the bulb, perhaps so he didn?t have to regard the questioning visage of Qui-Gon, ?I haven?t been able to conquer my own reservations about this practice.?

Qui-Gon nodded slightly, studying the young man a slender distance away from him. He dearly loved his apprentice, any who disputed that had never watched him watch Obi-Wan, as the Padawan fought in a battlefield, or a contest, twisting and blocking and parrying with rare, inherent grace?or as the boy just sat silently, as he was doing now. His existence held little, if any, meaning outside of Obi-Wan. This person was the other half of his soul.

But that meant, of course, that his soul was one of great contrasts.

Some days, Qui-Gon couldn?t help but marvel at how different they were, Master and apprentice. Like separate fibers of illumination within the same beam of light.

Never had he met someone with such a cautionary sense, such an outright dislike of chaos in any form.

Qui-Gon recognized his Padawan?s methodical needs, and could even trace them to a specific source. Obi-Wan had suffered traumatic disruptions in his short life, from the horrors of the Bandomeer mines to the heartbreak and confusion of Melida/Daan, and the unexpected loss of Tahl. These events, especially the brief severance from the Jedi, and his consequential, humiliating probation, had spiked certain compulsions in Obi-Wan.

He wanted everything in its proper place, including himself.

Maybe it was this aspect of his personality that made it so difficult for Obi-Wan to accept phenomenon outside of his own spectrum. Qui-Gon was endlessly proud of Obi-Wan, and valued the lev

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Wow. That was lovely. It had a really haunting, mystical quality, and I loved how Obi-Wan seemed to surrender to the effects of the liquid and the ceremony...and all of the thoughts and memories that came to his mind before:

You, the voice whispered, are the summer sky. In it, the sun is conquering, and the night is short. The summer sky is Benliviah. You are Benliviah. It is the purity of your essence.

Simply beautiful.

* sighs in contentment *

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That made me laugh and cry all at the same time. It was simply amazing!

Qui-Gon nodded slightly, studying the young man a slender distance away from him. He dearly loved his apprentice, any who disputed that had never watched him watch Obi-Wan, as the Padawan fought in a battlefield, or a contest, twisting and blocking and parrying with rare, inherent grace?or as the boy just sat silently, as he was doing now. His existence held little, if any, meaning outside of Obi-Wan. This person was the other half of his soul.

But that meant, of course, that his soul was one of great contrasts.

Some days, Qui-Gon couldn?t help but marvel at how different they were, Master and apprentice. Like separate fibers of illumination within the same beam of light.

Never had he met someone with such a cautionary sense, such an outright dislike of chaos in any form.

Qui-Gon obviously knows his Padawan well!

4. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Lady Padme Thank you so much. [face_love] I'm glad you enjoyed it.

VL Yeah, I think that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon really did understand each other. It was communication that was the issue. Thank you for reading. [:D]

5. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    That was so powerful that I'm not quite sure I know what to say. The loving relationship between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan was so touching, especially knowing what will come. :_|

Incredible!

6. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    AnakinsHeir Aw, thank you. I love the way their relationship is portrayed in fanfic, kind of a branching out of what was seen in the JA. Thank you very much for reading. :)

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    It was quite lovely, LE but then I always expect that of you. The mystical quality reminded me somewhat of the Clone wars cartoon second season when Anakin has his vision. I loved that Obi-Wan became aware of his own light and that there was a balance there, light and dark. I really loved how he thought his name was Anakin for a moment, visions of the future.

Great job with this. As always. =D=

8. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    diane Oh thank you, diane. You know how much that means, coming from you. [:D]

9. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    How did I miss this? How, how how????

Magnificent work, my LE - as always. Those little mystical touches - it practically brought a musty, damp forest feel in my mind's eye. And the way Obi-Wan almost lost himself in the darkness - but not quite. And Qui's concern for his padawan. And then Obi-Wan's name, and the fact that he was close to the Sun. Close to the Sun. Ah yes, I particularly liked that.

Bravo, my dear. =D=

10. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    ithesock Hi sockie! :) The boards are moving a lot faster these days. ;) Thank you for reading. I'm glad you liked the origin of his name. I was afraid it sounded cliche. :D

11. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    Your night is not eternal.

The light draped over him, soothing and warm. It was his light, but there was the Force, infusing it with soft, lovely luster.

The memories coursed through him, like balm over corroding wounds. Suddenly, he knew why he could never be totally at ease, why he so often allowed the Code to lift him up, rather than the Force. The light and dark of himself interwoven, like the braid always at his shoulder.

He disappeared within himself, and there, in the center, understood.

There is no day without night, and so, no night without day.

Balance.

He took that divine comprehension, and felt the compulsively tight, fearful fingers of his heart loosen?for they had been holding the bloody shard in place.

Peace.

He closed his eyes, and laid his face against the ground and its ancient dust.

oh.....my

LE! what have you done? wow. that....makes so much sense! your writing, as ever, is incredible, but i feel like i've been through this experience! wow! that obi would learn to let go of his fear finally...this is just incredible the depths it reaches without trying!
    *sigh* if only he could've taken anakin there so that anakin's own dragon-fear did not eat him up like it did. :(

=D= wonderful, awesome job! :)

12. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Sarka [face_blush] Thank you. You're very sweet. :)

13. Jedi-Tiger-Lilly

Jedi-Tiger-Lilly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    Beautiful, touching, moving, all of the above. I loved it.

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was just amazing.

15. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Wow, that was lovely! I really like how you portray the relationship between Obi and Qui. I also love the mystical quality to the ritual. =D=

16. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Never had he met someone with such a cautionary sense, such an outright dislike of chaos in any form. I loved this description.

The imagery in this was really great and I could feel the confusion from Obi-Wan. Makes me wonder how many things like this Jedi had to go through to fit into certain cultures.

17. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Jed-Tiger-Lilly Thank you. [face_love]

PK Thank you, as always, for reading. [:D]

Jedi_Tigris [face_blush] Thank you for your kind words.

Master_Noi Yeah, there were probably a lot of weird cultures they had to adapt to. Like the system where clothes were forbidden and viewed as evil. Hmm. [face_thinking]

18. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Like the system where clothes were forbidden and viewed as evil.

Please tell me you're going to write that. :D

19. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    An exquisite story, written with a mystic touch and many words of wisdom. I can only marvel at your talent! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. DarthPolymerase

DarthPolymerase Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I love the way you weave this story full of a sense of magical realism. You wrote a beautiful portrayl of the relationship between master and apprentice. Fantastic work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.