main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends *Day Is The Illusion* (RoundRobin)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RogueSquadronFlygirl, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronFlygirl

RogueSquadronFlygirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    Title: *Day Is the Illusion*
    Author(s): RogueSquadronFlygirl, Cantador, DarthIshtar, darksideyesplease
    Timeframe: 4 yrs. pre-TPM
    Characters: Obi-wan, Qui-Gon, various Jedi, and OCs
    Summary: A Jedi Master is dead, and his Padawan is missing. Master Jinn and Obi-wan are in a race against time and a mysterious enemy to return the padawan to the Order, before the Lost Twenty becomes the Lost Twenty-one...
    Notes:This is my first RR and my first Before the Saga piece, and my first fanfic piece on these boards, so PLEASE be nice. Also, thanks a hundred times over to my wonderful co-conspirators! :D

_*_

The twilight deepened. Marina had always thought the onset of night beautiful. Now she wasn?t sure she could ever feel that way again.

Try as she might, the seventeen-year-old could not turn her eyes from the flames. There before her, so close she could nearly touch it, burned the funeral pyre of Jedi Master Fyor Bendal.
    Her Master.

For Marina Ilesar, there was no Jedi calm, no detachment to dull the pain. Guilt and rage burned in her heart like a furnace. It took so much of her strength to bury it, that Marina felt faint as she stood there, stock-still among the mourners.

Marina felt herself drifting. No, not drifting, being pulled against her will, back to the events that led her here. It was all brief flashes, like a holodrama with a glitch, consecutive images flashing almost too fast to make sense. Two scintillating columns of light, one sky-blue, the other blood-red, clashing together in a shower of sparks. Two figures, silhouetted by the binary sunset in the grand view port beyond. Human blood trailing across a pale stone floor. Eyes, sulfur yellow, malevolent, merciless.

Always now, when she closed her eyes, that gaze haunted her. The figure that possessed them pursued her in her dreams, black-cloaked and featureless, save for those eyes.

Even now, as Marina stared into the fire, she thought she saw them there, among the dancing flames, mocking her.

Mastering herself at last, Marina dragged her eyes from the flames. ?I can?t bear it anymore.?

The diminutive Jedi Master at her side acknowledged the statement. ?Know not, will you, what you can bear, till you have borne it, Padawan.?

Marina opened her mouth, meaning to object, but words failed her. Instead she merely nodded. ?Yes, Master.?

Yoda answered the unspoken question for her. ?My leave you have, young Padawan. Told the Council what you know, borne enough of your burden today you have.?

Thankful to retire, Marina bowed to the Jedi Master and fled the Temple courtyard.

2. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    good starting point, i believe i will be the fourth one to make a post, so just waiting to see where i can jump in at.... weeeee

3. Cantador

Cantador Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    "I have searched, Master. Every inch of the temple. She's not here."

"It's only been three days," Qui-Gon Jinn returned from where he sat, cross-legged, in the center of his quarters, his eyes fixed on the delicate beads of water he was holding in perfect form in front of him. "She's probably gone into the city. With the whispers around here, I wouldn't blame her."

"That is not like Marina. She is not one to retreat in the face of rumor and innuendo."

"Her Master died in front of her eyes, Obi-wan. You can't expect her to be herself right away."

Obi-wan folded his arms and circled around his master, leaning in close.

"You're not concerned?"

"Be mindful. Some might say you are too concerned."

"She is missing-"

"Master Yoda gave her leave. We all knew she would need time to herself."

"He did not expect her to vanish into the air for three days."

"So certain are you," came a gravelly, wizened voice from the doorway, "of what I expect and what I do not, hmm?"

Obi-wan turned, startled by the Jedi Master's sudden appearance. Qui-Gon was still seated placidly on the floor, a slight smile playing at his lips.

"Master Yoda, I was not aware of your presence. I apologize," he said with a slight bow.

"What, apologize?" He leaned on his cane but, Obi-wan noticed, didn't make a move to enter the room. "Too much you assume, but assume right this time you have. Master Qui-Gon, gathering the Council is."

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I've been told I'm up.

5. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    weeee, so obi wan cares too much maybe... hmmm.... qui gon being his normal cool self.... mesa likes so far..... i'm up after Ish, looking forward to seeing where u take it, then i will start my post up... should be fun.

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    They most likely hadn't noticed her absence yet, he reflected.

They probably explained it away with some callous comment about teenagers and their rebellious phases and how she needed her own time. Someone might impatiently mention that she needed to be more dedicated in her studies. Yoda would be glowering at the fact that he couldn't counsel her with the old "Mourn them do not, miss them do not" lecture. They'd expect that as soon as she returned from her flight of fancy, they'd send her to a Soul Healer and find a suitable master.

They wouldn't think to look for her because she had no one left to care whether she lived or died. She probably didn't care much as it was, which was to his advantage.

The enjoyment of this exercize would be tormenting her into wanting to live, then denying her the opportunity.

They might look for her after a time. They would check her usual haunts and interview acquaintances and follow the promptings of the Force, never knowing that she was right under their noses.

She fought at first, earning her that lovely bruising on her jaw and a dislocated shoulder. There were other bruises, but most were a result of injected sedatives. It was wise to rotate injection sites.

She was almost lovely in her helplessness, her skin pale as the moon beneath the curtain of thick auburn hair that lay limp across her damp cheeks and puddled around her shoulders. Her fragility was the first thing that had attracted him to her, since there was a fascinating contrast in the strength of any Jedi and the delicate beauty of this Padawan.

It would be so easy to snap any one of those bones, but he wanted to see the framework of her mind be crushed.

No one would be looking for her here and when they finally thought to consider something so close to home, she would be long gone.
    "And no one has looked after her? Four days and we have forgotten one of our own?"

"No one is debating that this was poorly handled," Master Hruk said patiently. "The fact of the matter is that she disappeared not after three days, but that she was last seen seven hours after leaving her Master's funeral. She was alone at the time and the person who reported that sighting to us approached her.

"She exchanged courtesies and claimed to be waiting for a friend. Our informant went inside to retrieve something to drink and when he returned two minutes later, she had gone, but her satchel was still there."

"An abduction, then?"

"Fear that we do," Yoda admitted. "Something more perilous than grief we have here."

8. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    i'm heading off to work right now, i'll do my part tommorrow =)

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Cool, we'll be waiting.

10. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Qui-Gon sat in a meditating room within side the Jedi Temple. He expected his padawan would have already returned but he was thankful for the few extra minutes he was able to reach out with his feelings and connect with the Force.

Master Jinn always tried to live by his own teachings. After all, what good was it to teach a lesson if you didn?t follow it yourself? But today was different. Obi Wan complained of feeling something elusive in the Force quite often, but Qui-Gon would rationalize his worries, and tell him to keep his mind on the task at hand.

But now he could feel a disturbance as well. It was so very close to him, he could almost tangibly touch it. Yet in that same instant, the feeling felt so very far away.

Obi Wan cleared his throat, trying to get his Master?s attention. Odd, Qui-Gon could usually feel the presence of his young apprentice, but he had been so taken aback in the Force, he had neglected to feel what was literally right next to him.

?Have you heard?? Obi Wan growled. He seemed very irritated.

?Calm down, Obi Wan. What is it?? His Master thoughtfully replied.

Obi Wan folded his arms almost wanting to scream, ?I told you so.? But he didn?t. He reframed from such outbursts, especially in front of his Master.

?Rumors are circulating. Rumors about Marina.? Obi Wan informed him.

Qui-Gon spun up from his sitting position and gracefully walked to his padawan.

?I feared as much.?

?What? Why didn?t you say something two days ago when I was complaining?? Obi Wan shouted.

?Patience Obi Wan. Perhaps Master Yoda was right. Your feelings are clouded by your concern for her.?

?No one else seems to be too concerned. They fear now she was abducted.?

Qui-Gon nodded. He had not felt the girl was in any immediate danger just days prior, but now he had a sinking feeling in his stomach.

?Please Master. Talk with the Council; if you feel as I do, you know she is in trouble. We should be the ones assigned to this mission.? Obi Wan pleaded.

Qui-Gon gently placed his hand on Obi Wan?s shoulder. He smiled at the young man. Obi Wan could be ambitious at times, sometimes too much, but he was compassionate and caring. Qui-Gon realized this, and that Obi Wan?s intentions were of the best kind.

?I will speak with them Obi Wan, in the mean time I want you to relax. Wherever Marina is, she knows how to take care of herself.?

?Yes Master.? Obi Wan agreed in word, but not in principal. How could he relax at a time like this? He knew she was in trouble and she needed their help.

~~

?Young beauty, wake up.? The voice crawled down Marina?s spine.

Her vision was blurry. The sedatives had taken a massive toll on her; she couldn?t make out a face.

?Wha?What do you want?? She mumbled wanting nothing more than to drift back to sleep at that moment.

?To break you!? The voice quarreled back.

11. RogueSquadronFlygirl

Apr 2, 2005
    wow...it's hit the ground running hasn't it? Wonderful villian intro, Ish, very...chilling...I love it. Very good, really, all of you, I love it. Sad news, Layra has had to drop out...worse news...it's already my turn again...lol. I might get a post up later today, but likely tomorrow, I promise it will be ASAP.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, RSFG.

13. RogueSquadronFlygirl

Apr 2, 2005
    Marina struggled for a moment longer to get a good look at her tormentor, but her vision was so blurred that it was useless. Again she squeezed her eyes shut, and turned away from the voice. With great effort, she spoke.

?You?ll find that difficult, to break something already shattered.?

?You claim no resistance, little one, but you cannot help yourself. Even now, you use your flagging strength to defy me.?

?It?s not defiance,? Marina whispered. ?It?s the truth. I?ll sooner die??

?I?m not a fool, there?s more fire in you than that.?

?You?you?re so sure?? she murmured, slipping under again.

?No!? the voice snarled. Marina felt a sudden, vice-like grip on her wrist. The hand yanked her violently toward the speaker. The pain in her shoulder was excruciating, but she didn?t flinch. She had steeled herself for it. The Padawan had much more control over her reactions than she did her tongue. ?You?ll not escape me that easily.?

There was a long silence from the tortured soul. No amount of stabbing, slapping, general or verbal abuse seemed capable of getting a rise out of her, save for the tears that escaped, somewhat listlessly, from beneath her tightly closed eyelids. When there was a pause in the assault, Marina risked one syllable.

?Why??

?Why what, dearling?? her captor replied. The perverse amusement was plain in his voice.

?Why did you kill him?? the girl said, speaking through clenched teeth.

Her captor gave a short, sadistic laugh. ?You, my dear, are reason enough for many things.?

This admission was more of a blow than anything Marina had suffered thus far. It struck her heart with such force that it literally ached. Her bruised ribs resisted the throbbing of her heart, that beat like an enraged beast attempting to be free of it?s ivory cage, sending sharp pains through every extremity. Her mind swam with guilt and irrationality; internally she was screaming and sobbing hysterically. But all of this was internal. Only the slightest hint of panic and tears crept into her reply.

?You killed him because of me?"

?There, there, don?t fret so. You?ll die sooner.?

Hurt gushed into her voice along with her retort. ?You assume I want to continue living!?

Even with her eyes closed, Marina sensed her tormentor leaning close. ?Oh, but you do want to continue living, at least long enough to avenge your master?s death.?
    Marina heard a contented sigh, and the sounds of the figure moving away from her. ?But I flatter you really. By the time I?m done with you, I very much doubt you will remember Fyor Bendal, for wont of the agony. And I do so enjoy the shedding of innocent tears.?

?Suppose I stop fighting.? Marina said suddenly, with a surprising amount of venom for one so weak. "Life and the will to sustain it go hand in hand, What if I just give up and die? That would but a hitch in your twisted little game, wouldn?t it??

Low, sardonic laughter echoed through the space. ?It?s a good show, pretty one, but a farce I?m sure. Surrender?s not in your nature. You can?t help but resist; you?ve made quite a show of that already.?

She had resisted at first, that was true, but not in earnest. The struggle had seemed sincere enough for most people, but it wasn?t so for Marina. Had the fight been done in earnest, one of the combatants would be dead. It was one of Marina?s faults: she had no middle ground. She gave her all to a task, till her dying breath, or gave nothing at all. And it made no difference whether it was a menial chore or a life and death duel. But the struggle with this fiend had been different. Instinctive, but half-hearted. She had wished for death then, seeing her attacker as a blessing in disguise. She?d been too crushed to fight for her life. The malignant yellow gaze of her Master?s murderer was all that could incite fury in her now. That tell-tale sign had not been revealed until she fettered and wasted, unable to strike back. Now, vengeance was as illusive as hope?

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ooh, I like him already...

15. Cantador

Cantador Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    I'm writing on Chapter 4 of The Green Hand Rebellion today, so there's a chance I won't have my post up until tomorrow.

Nice work, everyone.

16. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    someone better reveal who he is, trust me, you don't want me doing the honors, i'll mess up the whole story. lol

j/k but trust me... you don't want Zanthos in this story, cuz he will rule us all and he is so indestructable, not even Ish could control him! muahahahaha

okay, so i won't use him, but still.... i'm kinda scared to reveal anything in my posts, i don't want to ruin it for the rest of you.

but that was a great piece right there rogue, very nice, i liked it.

and i'm enjoying reading this, and I can't wait till it's my turn again!!! weeeeeeeeeeeee

oh... how old is Obi Wan?? i know this is like 4 years pre TPM or so, so, is obi wan like 14 or something? that's what i have in my head.

17. RogueSquadronFlygirl

Apr 2, 2005
    thak ya much, darksideyes, I do try. :D
    Um...as to who it is....
    I was rather banking on an OC and I'd rather not reveal his identity for a while yet. He might need to be saddled with a name, but don't look at me! Ish?

And I don't know about Obi. He looked anywhere from 18 to 21 in TPM, so, maybe about the same age as Marina?

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Don't look at me. I like to have evil people with really sweet names at times. Of course, Ufomar and Xiburine are exceptions, but I'm the type who would go "He's evilevilevil and his name is Johnny!"

19. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    well Zanthos is my alter ego, but he's a bit too insane perhaps, even for this twisted guy we have torturing our poor marina.

yes, perhaps Ish has an idea... i mean i have ideas, but i hate to mess everything up, if i was just my story, i'd screw everything up in the first five chapters, no doubt.

so he's anywhere from 14-17.... okay, just wondering if i was making him too out of character.

i tried to make him alot like TPM obi wan, who kinda griped alot in my opinion to Qui Gon, but still listened. i wouldn't call him whiney like Anakin, but he definately would challenge Qui Gon mesa thinks.

20. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    I haven't seen many RR's around on the FanFic boards. I will watch this one carefully and perhaps join in when I have more time.

21. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
  22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  23. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Cantador.... can you hear me?

24. RogueSquadronFlygirl

Apr 2, 2005
    Ok, here's the deal.
    As is typical with pieces of writing I become particularly attached to, they start out great, and as soon as I turn my back, begin to come apart at the seems.
    It's going to be a small party for a while. Cantador's having problems coming up with stuff, and, consequently is sitting out a round or two. Which means, our next posts need to be good. Dark and Ish, I'm not saying they weren't good before, we just need to kick it up a notch, and give Cant some meaty stuff to work with, yes?
    also, as Ish knows, that means she's up next ;)

Hang in there! we can do it!

'Flygirl

~*~
    AND....while I have your attention, lets setttle Obi-wan's age. Turns out he looks a little older than I thought in TPM, so lets say he's 20.

25. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    let me know and i'll go next and really get the story going, if you want, just give me the word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.