main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Tactics updated 12/22 MOVED. [See last post]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight-Nix, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight-Nix

Knight-Nix Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    -Takes a deep breath and plunges in- Here goes nothing.....

[b]Title:[/b] Tactics
    [b]Author:[/b] Knight-Nix
    [b]Timeframe:[/b] JA/Pre-TPM
    [b]Genre:[/b]Action/Adventure, Drama, Angst.
    [b]Warnings:[/b] None to speak of...later maybe.
    [b]Characters:[/b] Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Jango Fett, Amidala
    [b]Summary:[/b] After a successful mind wipe in JA #3 Obi-Wan is shipped off to Nar Shadda, where he must learn to survive without his Jedi training, and Qui-Gon's help. Years later Qui-Gon is on a mission to protect the young teenage Queen of Nabbo, Amidala, when he sees a ginger haired bounty hunter with very familiar eyes.

[hr]

[b]Hidden Past[/b]

He knew form the first that this man would know how to hurt him. He wasn?t sure how but he knew. The young teen knew that the man had done something to hurt him, but he couldn?t remember what. In fact he didn?t remember anything. Casting his blue eyes at his surrounds, the boy?s eyebrows went together in confusion.

He was in a ship, that was all he knew, and there was a man beside him with some sort of weapon at his side. The weapon was shinny and glossy, reflecting the dim light back at his eyes. Leaning in closer to the object the boy?s young mind worked overtime to try and figure what it would do.

It was intriguing, possibly the only thing of interest in his small world. The owner of the weapon was a young man with sandy blonde hair and features that were so plain most people would never remember it. However the shinny thing at his waist was like nothing the boy had ever seen even though his knowledge was limited to a few minutes before for now.

The boy was human with ginger hair and sky blue eyes. His hair was shaved short with only a small braid over one shoulder. Fiddling with the bunch of hair with one had the boy reached out with his other to touch the object of his current interest.

However large palm connected sharply with his cheek and he pulled away his fingers faster then a viper.

?Don?t touch that.? The older mans voice was harsh and gravely, ill fitting of his appearance. ?or I might decide to end your misery.?

The younger boy?s eyes grew as large as saucers and he scrambled back, away from the man. Only to find that he was tugged back by a cord that was wrapped around his wrist. His eyes traveled along the length of the cord to see that it was held in the blonde haired man?s fist.

Glancing fearfully back at him, the younger of the two sat as far away from the other as possible, his hands folded in his lap.

Time passed and not a word was uttered until an unexpected jolt almost sent the boy flying. He looked to the man and saw that he was calm, the sudden movement hadn?t seemed to worry him. The boy kept his eyes on the man and once in a while glanced down at the shinny object at his waist. He wanted to touch it so bad that he had to sit on his hands, and in the process jerked the cord that connected the two humans. The older man turned to glare at the boy, who didn?t quite know what he had done wrong.

After a few more soundless minutes or staring the older heaved a sigh and stood, tugging the other up with him.

?Come on kid. Its time to meet you new home.? He growled, giving him another tug. The boy jumped off his seat and followed the man like an obedient pet. The man looked back to the boy with pity in his eyes. The poor thing wouldn?t survive a day on the planet they had just landed on. Shaking his head he led the boy towards the transports ramp.

Rancid smoke hit the duo the moment they stepped out of the ship. The planets air was full of ship exhaust and other things neither of them wanted to think about. Wrinkling his nose the boy looked at the new scenery with a slight disgust. Rundown building seemed to be latest fashion and humanoids and countless other species walked or ran aimlessly down grimly streets.

Shaking his head once more the man leaned down and unwrapped the cord around the boys wrist and gave him a shove down the ramp where he promptly fell and rolled the rest of the way. A small

2. PadawanEstel

PadawanEstel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    Welcome to the craziness, Knight-Nix ! It looks like you've got a pretty good idea of where you want to go - this line in your summary sent chills down my spine: "...when he sees a ginger haired bounty hunter with very familiar eyes." Poor Qui-Gon!
    Ah, Darth Real-life calls, and I must run, but I'll be back.
    Force be with you.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Welcome to the boards Knight-Nix, always a pleasure to see a fellow JA lover. :)

Nice start as well.

4. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooh, great start! :) Gee, I wonder who that 'ginger haired bounty hunter with familiar eyes' is going to turn out to be. Just can't figure it out. ;) I haven't read the JA books in over four years, but your story gave me deja vu, it was great!

5. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Welcome! And I can see that we've gained another good writer! Look forward to more.

6. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Nice work so far! More soon!!

7. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    ohhh, looks like a good one.

*takes out popcorn*

I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

*pulls up a comfy chair*

I'm here for good. I expect regular updates, and lots and lots of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon angst...

(j/k--mostly)

Great start Nix!

8. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Welcome! Great start! Can't wait to see where this goes. :)

9. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Uh oh! Things are not starting out well for our poor Jedi. I shudder to think what Obi-Wan will go through to become a bounty hunter--I doubt the training is easy. Poor Qui-Gon!

Looking forward to more!

10. Knight-Nix

Jun 2, 2005
    I feel I owe you guys something, even if it?s just a fragment. Thanks for all your responds :D?. I wracked my brain for a SW equivalent to eggs/chickens, but it turned up dry?as it did with ?stove??I need a new brain.

Chapter 2- part one

Sweat threatened to trickle down into Obi-wan?s eyes as he stood above a small grimy heating unit. It sat in one corner of a dingy kitchen, which was one of the three rooms that made up a small dinner. The cooking room looked more like a mechanic?s shop then a kitchen. It smelled of oil and burnt food. Spare parts from the fresher that joined with it littered the floor and stoves older then Obi-Wan sat in another corner. Personally, the young man wouldn?t trust any food that came out of this place even if he was the one making it.

Wiping the back of his hand across his forehead he scowled at the mass of yellow and clear liquid that lay in a pan in front of him. Why couldn?t he ever get the easier jobs? He often thought to himself. Why did he have to be the damn cook?

?You scrambling eggs.? Came a voice from behind him. The young man at a small stove didn?t even turn to face the man before answering in a nonchalant voice.

?Dead chickens.? He said matter-a-factly. The fat man walked up beside him leaned on the stove, laughing.

?There not chickens yet, boy. They never grew up, so their chicks.? The younger of the two?s lips twitched slightly as he stared at the yellow substance in the pan. The liquid yoke had shaped its self into a comic representation of the man who stood beside him. At least that?s what he thought. The young man almost laughed at the irony.

?What does it matter??

The Head cook placed a hand on his chin and nodded.

?Yes, I suppose it doesn?t matter. They?re dead anyway.? The younger chose that moment to turn and look at the cook, the image of the yoke man in his mind. The cook was obese, sweat stains on his armpits and around his tunic neck. His body gave off an odor of something that had died a week ago. One look at the cook and most people would have lost their appetite. That might have been the reason the dinner didn?t get much business.

?Just like you.? Obi-wan said with a smile and drew a blaster from inside his food stained tunic. The cook?s eyes widened in his pudgy face as he saw the firearm and his hands went up.

?Kid, what are you doing?? he asked, his voice rising in panic and sweat already dripping from his forehead.

?Say no more then necessary.? The words had been burned into Obi-wan?s mind form since before he could remember, and it took no effort to pull the trigger.

---

TBC

11. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    Wow. Can I have some more please?

Seven

12. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    Yikes! So Obi-Wan is already a bounty hunter now? How old is he?

Nice post! :)

13. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Obi-Wan, oh no! What did they do to you?! Qui-Gon, hurry and rescue him! Oh, I hope it's not too late for poor Obi-Wan. :(

14. Knight-Nix

Jun 2, 2005
    Thanks guys :D I'm happy that you like it. Heres the last part of the chapter. Enjoy

Chapter 2 -part 2-

Light streamed softly into the single booth, illuminating a bedraggled old human man. With his hair askew and plain clothing rumpled and stained, the human didn?t quite look all that intimidating, however the rifle slung over his shoulder did. His body, though old, looked well toned and would have once been muscular. However it had fallen into neglect, his belly swelling where it had once been flat. The man had been using the credits he earned from relatively easy bounties and errands for his employers on drink rather then food.

Too much of life had slipped through his fingers. As large as the man?s hands were they couldn?t get him what he really wanted.

Dull green bloodshot eyes stared at the swirling contents of an unknown drink. Sliding his eyes drunkenly around the room the man took in little of his surroundings. All that his intoxicated mind picked up was the lights. They showed with unrelenting radiance, stinging his eyes and sending shocks into his brain.

Running a hand through his short untamed hair the man let out a mammoth sigh, a sigh that could be heard all around the café. Life was not his friend, neither did it seem to be on speaking terms with the old human.

Pulling the clear glass closer to him, he took another sip letting the strong intoxicant weave its way into his mind, blocking out every clear thought he had. A blissful smile grew over the man?s mouth, twisting his face into a revolting mask of fake pleasure.

Nothing penetrated the cast he had over any sane thoughts. In fact he was so lost that he never noticed when the tender come up close to him and pulled the cup out of his hand. The man?s limbs were unresponsive and limp, giving the tender a hard time at pulling his body towards the door.

?Get back to your bed, old timer, least you spend the night in this cantina.? The smaller man said between huffs of air. The being was humanoid in appearance, however only half the size of the old man and his skin held a greenish tint. Small three digit hands held clumps of the older man?s grubby tunic. A half breed, if the man had ever seen one.

The old man?s head rolled from side to side, the thick legs under him giving the humanoid no assistance. His lips uttered garbled words, slurred together and rising and falling in volume without an apparent pattern. After a few minutes of pulling and tugging the being and his intoxicated cargo gained little distance. Heaving a sigh and shaking his head the being finally gave up, dropping the man at his feet. Putting his hands on his hips, the humanoid looked at the man with a disapproving look.

The old bounty hunter had done this one countless occasions, despite threats and warnings from the Twi?lek manager. He had sent the Twi?lek?s head tails quivering in anger more then often, back talking and arguing to him in an intoxicated state more times then the fingers on a human hand.

Giving the old man an exasperated sigh, the half breed threw up his hands and left the smiling man where he lay in the middle of the floor.

---

?Where are we going again?? asked Obi-Wan to the man beside him. He had short hair and a pot marked face. Not many people new what Jango Fett looked like under his armor, however Obi-Wan Kenobi did.

Growing up with the man had put a mark on the younger man. His face was set with an expression akin to the one that was plastered upon Jango; business, and nothing but business. It told anyone around them to leave them alone. And most did, except for the occasional brave vender.

Their booted feet sent dull clunks into the ears of passers-by, as they walked down the narrowed street on one of the many levels of the city-planet Coruscant. Obi-Wan matched him stride by stride, letting his feet leave and connect with the durasteel passageway at the exact moment.

Obi-Wan let the question hang in the air between them for a few moments before repeating it once again. Jango slid his eyes form the walkw

15. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Grr! I wish Jango had turned Obi-Wan back in to the Jedi when he found out who he was, but obviously he wouldn't have. Too bad! :( And now he's on Coruscant, eh? Right under the Jedi's nose, argh! So Obi's twenty-three, right, if it's been ten years?
    Great story, can't wait for more! :)

16. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Nice start Knight-Nix. It took me awhile but I finally got over here to check this out, but I finally made it. :)

Interesting that you included Jango. I like it - and I like his toughts about why he took Obi in. I'm curious about their relationship and can't wait to read more about their past together.

As you know - I find this premise very intriguing and can't wait to see where you take it :D

--shan

17. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Very very interesting so far!! MOre soon!!

18. Seven

Jul 20, 2000
    I will now do my best to impersonate an echo.

clears throat dramatically

More soon please!

Seven

19. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    Nice post! :) I like how you had Jango remembering and thinking about Obi-Wan. I wonder if Obi-Wan ever uses the Force, either consciously or unconsciously? And I wonder who the drunk is, if we know him?

Hope there's more soon!

20. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Ooh, Jango is cool. I liked the description of their first meeting. Of course Obi-Wan would keep his Jedi reflexes, and his courage. It looks like Jango might even be an okay guy--on the shady side, of course. It's too bad he didn't turn Obi-Wan in to the Jedi.

Did he tell the kid his name? How did he pull that off without Obi-Wan asking what else he knew about him?

Hey! It would be cool to see Obi and Boba interacting like brothers. I would love to read something like that. But only if it works in your plot.

Great job! Keep it up!

21. astraevirgo

astraevirgo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ooh, I like AUs. This seems to be shaping up to be a good one -- we all know that *our* Obi-Wan would be horrified at the idea of being a bounty hunter... I wonder how he likes Boba. Huh. Anyway, good job. Write on.

22. Knight-Nix

Jun 2, 2005
    Chapter 3: Part 1

Sometimes, things happen that we can?t control. Sometimes, when life threw a lemon at you, you made lemonade, no matter how sour it turned out to be. You just accepted, did what you could and moved on. But sometimes, sometimes you couldn?t turn that lemon into lemonade. Sometimes the lemon just wanted to be a lemon.

Well life was throwing him lemons. Had been doing it for the last hour or so, and he was getting no where. Qui-Gon placed down the three lemons he had been holding and raised a hand to his face. How was this supposed to help him? Master Windu had suggested this too him a while ago, however Qui-Gon had dismissed it as child?s play. And in truth it was, pure innocent child?s play. Perhaps that was why Windu had suggested for him to take up the art; however it was proving to be one of the hardest things he had ever set out to do.

What had the Jedi Master called it? Ah yes, juggling. That was what he had called this infernal time consuming child?s play. He had seen the Master do it with out a thought, his dark hands moving in harmonizing, smooth motions. Throwing and catching with ease, all the while telling the Knight never to pass them under, or from hand to hand. Windu had first shown him in slow motion with aide of the Force how he had done it. However Mace pacifically told him to not use the Force to guide the balls, or in his case the lemons, from one hand to the other. He had said that it would help him....relax...now that was laughabul. After losing two Padawans, Qui-Gon never really recovered. He had looked far and wide for Obi-Wan, but for all his work the Knight couldn't locate him.

With a growl Qui-Gon had taken the small balls from the Master?s hand and had attempted to toss them in the exact same motion as Mace. However they all fell to the floor with a bounce in different directions. Qui-Gon had looked up to the Master with something a kin to annoyance in his eyes. Windu had just laughed, Force calling the balls back into the Knights hands.

Now Qui-Gon was sitting in his quarters throwing the three lemons into the air at the right times, and catching it fifty percent of the time. It was harder then it looked, and once in a while he?d growled and stopped them in mid air, one off to the side, one far in front, and yet another had found its way behind his head. This??activity was giving him a headache. Taking up all his concentration and leaving no room for any of his brooding.

Shaking his head, the Knight once again set his shoulders and placed one ball in one of his hands and the others in the other. Letting his frustration go Qui-Gon once again resumed his task.

TBC

Back to fragments!!!

Sorry for the late update. Sorry to say that my updates will never be 'regular'. Yah....

I had a hard time getting the idea of how to stick Qui in. However I got an idea! Mwahahahaha. It came to me when I was reading a Fan Fic on Fullmetal Alchemist. Nothing like a little Fullmetal fun to get you back on track. The first paragraph is from a fic on aff.net of the same anime, and I can't claim it as mine...darn... I made me laugh, because I was useing lemons just as Qui was.

Anyway I've been thinking and the plot is now leaning more towards the Saga....and I might have to move it up to that board. And my comp crashed, so until I get it fixed I'll have to use public computers...so its going to be a bit slow.

Oh well....I had something else to add to this long winded A/N...but I can't think of it.

Bye Bye. ^^

23. Seven

Jul 20, 2000
    Very very nice!

More soon please?

Thank you,
    Seven

24. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    If you do move it to the saga let us know
    Has Qui-Gon been juggling lemons for eight years.[face_thinking]
    if Boba was two when he found Obi and now he's nearly ten

25. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    Qui trying to learn how to juggle. [face_laugh] I still can't do it. At least it's taken his mind off other things for a while.

If you do move this, please let me know! Hope there's more soon. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.