main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Epistles to a Master (JA, AU, Qui/Xanatos/Obi) - *Complete, 03/01/08*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ithesock, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Welcome, my poor readers.

Title: Epistles to a Master
    Author(s): ithesock/Princess_Arulmozhi
    Timeframe: JA - but very AU. Obi-Wan is six years old. And Xanatos - isn't evil. Not much, anyway. And Council-Members can take padawans. Yep.
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Xanatos DeCrion, Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Genre: Er...Nonsense?
    Summary: A series of letters between a master and two padawans.
    Notes: Another fit of madness. I've always wanted to do a 'letter series :D - so here you are. Also, I wanted a break from angst. And I wanted to write Xanatos, all deliciously suave. 'DeCrion' - the name - belongs to obi_ew, I think. :D

Here goes nothing... [face_whistling]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Message No: 24Thghjt5676
    Time: 234.43.08
    Sender: DeCrion, Xanatos [Affiliation: Knight (Jedi Order)]
    Recipient: Jinn, Qui-Gon [Affiliation: Council-Member (Jedi Order)]
    Subject: Negotiations at P?abar

***********************BEGIN ENCRYPTED MESSAGE****************************

Qui-Gon,

This is to tell you that we?ve reached P?abar safely?though I cannot help mentioning that the Class III accommodations on board the CRS Arriedne were pathetic. Star-Cruisers these days have degenerated into nothing?despite my best efforts to steer them towards something approaching dignity. However, I am a Jedi Knight and will learn to bear my miseries with equanimity. The Ambassadors welcomed us, and thankfully, seem to have a better idea of comfort than Star-cruiser captains. Possibly, they are overwhelmed by memories of my excellent manners and gift for mediation, and are supremely thankful for having nudged them into peace and prosperity. Either way, I am now marginally more comfortable. I truly wish you could have shared this little mission with us. It would have made an excellent break from your usual musty duties. Not to mention broadening your perceptions regarding the fine line that divides creature comforts and luxury.

I trust you?re now feeling better than your remarkably cheery self when we left, two days ago.

Nothing more to add, except that preparations are underway for a magnificent feast two floors below, in our honour. The Royal Guards are already upon us. Therefore, I end this missive?

Your former padawan,
    Now noble and outstanding Knight,
    Xanatos De Crion.

Message-Addition1: Your young padawan is doing well too, I might add. A quiet one. How he ever came to be your apprentice is something that passes my comprehension. A case of ?opposites-attract??

Message-Addition 2: Strange name, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Plebeian, I might add. Parents these days are remarkably devoid of aesthetic sense. My own name now, is an excellent example of class combined with aristocratic grace?

The Guards call. Will await your reply?if you?re strong to give one, that is.

********************END ENCRYPTED MESSAGE*****************

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Message No: 780jljytTHGKJH788
    Time: 235.44.08
    Sender: Jinn, Qui-Gon [Affiliation: Council-Member (Jedi Order)]
    Recipient: DeCrion, Xanatos [Affiliation: Knight (Jedi Order)]
    Subject: Re: Negotiations at P?abar

********************BEGIN ENCRYPTED MESSAGE********************

My former padawan,

I direct your way-ward attention to the date and time of my message to you, calling your notice to the fact that I am

a. Not quite so degenerate in body as you would wish to assume

b. Not in such a foul mood that I would refuse to answer your solicitous message (note the emphasis).

c. Not so pre-occupied with my illness that I would forget about my apprentice. The poison entered my system, to be sure?but I may point out to you that the Temple Healers are a remarkably talented team?and my constitution, a

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved it so far. The sniping and subtle jabs of those two were wonderful, showing that they have enough affection for each other that they are comfortable with the comments. It is rather sweet that Xan took Obi-Wan with him on the mission while Qui-Gon is recovering. I can imagine what kind of training he is doing with a 6 year old.

Qui-Gon on the Council, I don't think the Jedi will ever recover. :p

Oh, the speeling of ur yong Obi is perft. [face_laugh]

3. ithesock

Mar 12, 2005
    Thanks. :D. I've always wanted to put Qui on the Council - think of the ruckus there'll be. [face_laugh]

The speeling was fun 2. :D Poor Obi...

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! :D I can't wait to read more! =D=

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Truly lovely Princess! [face_laugh]

Loved how young Obi-Wan couldn't spell ;)

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Will have to take time to savor it when I get off work. Had to read quick! Loved Xan's distaste for Obi-Wan's name! So Xan! :* Great job! Want more!

7. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, this is really wonderful! I love the dynamics between the three. Qui concerned for Obi and Obi concerned for Qui, and Xanatos sniffing at them both. Obi-Wan's message was so cute! I like this a lot. Can't wait to read more!

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oooh, I loved the characterizations of all three of them. This is so original and entertaining already. :) My favorite bit was Obi-Wan's. So cute! As with all your stories, I can't wait for more!

9. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    Master! [:D]

This is wonderful! So cute!

I love it Master!

Not to mention, that I really like your Xani. He's all not evil and really kinda cool.

Qui-Gon was sick? And it's just like Obi to be so caring... even if his spelling does need some work! But he's all little and uber cute, so we can forgive him that!

~smiles~

Another master piece in the making Master, and I really simply can't wait for more!

Please please please more soon please Master!

Your Devoted Lil' Padawan,
    Seven

10. JediVeloJinn

JediVeloJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2003
    Princess Arulmozhi, that was a wonderfully funny post.

I nearly missed reading it because I forgot that ithesock is your sock. But the word "epistles" caught my attention, and I'm very glad that it did.

I had to look up the word "plebeian" afterwards (and refer back to the dictionary for it's spelling right now).

6 years old!! On a mission? No wonder Qui is so full of instructions to Xan. And I liked how he had more instructions for Xan about how to behave: Also enquire if the Harvest was a good one...., and his explanation that: (two are girls, and the third is a boy.)

I loved the second message from 'Xanatos'. My first thought was that Xan was drunk and so he lost the ability to spell. And the excerpt about the planet that Obi included threw me. I thought that Xan had taken over the message.

I look forward to more.

~Velo

11. salem-aubrey

salem-aubrey Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    Aubrey: Aww, that's so cute! [face_love]

Salem: We loved it! More soon, please! [face_batting]

12. ithesock

Mar 12, 2005
    VaderLVR64: Wow, thanks. :D I'm flattered, m'dear.

Layren: Hee. Six year-olds, y'know. :D

obi_ew: Yay!! <does a jig> Coming from a Xan expert... :D Thank you!

maychorian: Thanks, may. Xanatos sniffing... [face_laugh] That was a perfect description. Thank you. :)

LuvEwan: Thanks. :) And more it is...

Padawan: Uber cute, indeed. :) More coming up...

JediVeloJinn: Wow, thank you. I'm glad 'epistles' drew you in. :D As for 'plebeian'...thought Xanatos might like to go all high-brow on Qui. :D

>>>I loved the second message from 'Xanatos'. My first thought was that Xan was drunk and so he lost the ability to spell. And the excerpt about the planet that Obi included threw me. I thought that Xan had taken over the message.>>>

[face_laugh] Xan...drunk! bad example for a young Obi, don't yu tink?

salem-aubrey: Thanks, to the two of you. :D

The Next instalment:

Message No: 3245uoy798RTT
    Time: 236.46.08 - 2
    Sender: DeCrion, Xanatos [Affiliation: Knight (Jedi Order)]
    Recipient: Jinn, Qui-Gon [Affiliation: Council-Member (Jedi Order)]
    Subject: Pompous Council-Members

******************BEGIN ENCRYPTED MESSAGE********************

Qui-Gon,

You are your usual morose self, I hope.

As you are doubtless aware by now, I allowed your little padawan access to my?ah?message account. (Although I must admit that the possibilities of a ?massage? account are infinitely pleasing, even if slightly inappropriate. I must inquire further into it?). I must also initiate him into the facilities offered by message accounts regarding writing skills?but more of that later.

Since your irrepressible apprentice has seen fit to inform you what I mentioned about your constitution, I may as well tell you that I meant it as a compliment. Rancors are ferocious beasts, if remarkably infuriating?but I digress.

I have no intention of enquiring about Ambassador Ma?kaar?s crop-harvest whatsoever?I am a Jedi Knight, not a protocol droid that is fluent in six million languages, with an irritating accent, to boot. I write this, because your esteemed friend needed no gently worded questions from me?he took it upon himself to talk my ear off about P?abar?s climate, mineral deposits, ores, platforms, workers, mines and everything else that would suit the taste of Master Yoda, probably. (I know that you revere the Green grelbe, but I do not.) Thank you kindly for taking the time to inform me that if two of the Ambassador?s children were girls, the other must be a boy. How very illuminating. Had you not seen fit to inform me of such a possibility, I doubt that I would have known it.

I will have you know, however, that he has had no word from the Agri-Corps division (I?m rather inclined to be relieved at this: the Agri-Corps Workers sustain enough boredom as it is; Ambazed?er?Ambassador Ma?kaar might reduce them to an exhausted puddle.)

I am not cut out for prim and proper negotiation procedures, I think.

I sometimes wonder how they tolerate your larger-than-life presence in that exalted Council of theirs. Do they see fit to argue with your every statement (I do not ask, you will notice, if you argue with them?that is a given), or does Master Windu glare at you with one of his Dark Side looks?

I still have some difficulty believing that you were asked to be one of them. Had I not seen your woebegone face last week, I would have discredited the story altogether. Plainly?and not for the first time?the Council was out of its wits.

That, in case your sense of humour (it is doubtful if you do possess one, as I never saw any evidence of it during my apprenticeship years) has departed for the unknowns, was intended as a joke. Jokes induce laughter in humans. Supposedly.

Has the green grelbe given up on its gimer stick, or are padawans still afflicted with bro

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved this. Qui-Gon and Xani exchanging snipes at each other, I can just hear Xan's thoughts dripping with distain as he types in his message but also with affection for his crazed former Master. And Qui-Gon, I can just see him causing the Council no end of problems. :D He admonishments about Xan's lack of inquiry after his health was classic. Qui-Gon's message to Obi-Wan was so wonderful - his tone would match that appropriate for a 6 year old's eyes. Encouraging him to ask Xan questions was hilarious - devious Qui!

The speeling continues to delight. I think you've gotten it down perfectly.

Great job. Am now curious as to what other reason Qui-Gon picked Obi as his Padawan. You put that in a single sentence - usually that means it's important????

14. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Ah, this cheered me up quite nicely this morning. I needed to smile. :)

I don't know much about Xanatos's character (having not read any JA books), but I love the dynamic relationship between him and Qui-Gon. Their messages reveal so much about themselves and about how they feel about each other. Excellent job.

I've always thought that writing a story based entirely on correspondence would be quite a challenge -- you present it wonderfully. I am in awe. =D=

I gaf my claok to a babi drakon. Im sorri, but it was cOld. May I haf anoter? The babi was called ?BOga.?

My favorite part. It's just too darn cute!

Can't wait for more!

15. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    Oh fantastic story so far! You have six year olds down perfectly. I love how Obi's "missage" is so ...um... disjointed-to him it probably seems to flow quite naturally but to any adult--oh what a precious message! *Snort* Out of the mouths of babes... Xanatos you had better watch what you do/say in front of Obi because it will eventually get back to Qui-Gon...

I love this!

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Do me one favor, though.

Make your ~~~~~~~~~~~ less long. I'm having a hard time reading having to scroll back and forth. Thanks.

17. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    This is so wonderful! I smiled my way through the entire thing. "Super-excellent" genes. [face_laugh] I loved Xanatos describing Obi-Wan's questions.

My favorite, though, was Obi-Wan's message. I loved that Qui-Gon wrote back to him, saying that his notes were a delight to him. They're a delight to me too. And the bit with Boga was wonderful.

Keep it up! I love this story.

18. ithesock

Mar 12, 2005
    Diane, does it look alright now? [Sorry - it fit in my screen, so I thought it was okay.]

For some reason, that 'missage' made me insanely happy. :D

19. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    =D= excellent story. I adore Obi-wan's typing skills, they're very real for a six year old. ^__^
    Light!Xani is so entertaining. Much more so than as Dark!Xani....the affection for his Master lends itself well to his sense of humor. More please!

20. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    [face_love] I LOVE this!

The interaction between the three of them is priceless. And I happen to like not evil Xan. I always knew there could have been a nice guy in there.

But Obi-Wan is just the cutest little guy ever! Can I keep him Master? Please?

I especailly liked the bit about Angels though, and I greatly enjoyed Qui-Gon's reply. It was very poetic!

More soon please Master? [face_batting]

Your Devoted Little Padawan,
    Seven
    @};-

21. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    A slightly disgruntled, but nevertheless magnificent
    Xanatos DeCrion.

[face_batting] Yes he is.

This was hilarious! [face_laugh] smiled througout as I read Obi-Wan's message. Massage! ha! Telling on Xan without even knowing it. Love these! Don't stop. :D

22. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    No, I still have to scroll but it might be the computer here. I'll check when I get home. [face_blush]

I checked. It was my work computer. Sorry![face_blush] :p

23. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Ah! So incredibly cute, I can barely stand it! :D

I love the relationship you've established between Qui-Gon and Xanatos. The best relationships are always the ones where teasing is rampant. :) And the way you write Obi-Wan astounds me. I love when he mentioned that it was so much easier to talk spelling than to write it. [face_laugh] This is so good. ;)

24. salem-aubrey

salem-aubrey Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    Aubrey: Why do I see all three of them acting this exact same way? Their personalities here are puurfekt! [face_laugh]

5. Impossible to live with, in general.
    6. Assumes intelligence equal to that of Council members when there is evidence of none.
    7. Considers accented protocol droids fluent in six million languages beneath his notice (although I?m inclined to concur with you in this respect?but I?m a Council-Member.)
    8. Is commonly referred to by his master, as ?that brat?.

Salem: Our favorite part! Xanatos really does suffer from the 'Arrogant Padawan' syndrome, doesn't he? Love the interaction between Xan and Qui. It's nice to have a break from all the revenge and anger.:D Obi's adorable! [face_love]

25. astraevirgo

astraevirgo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2003
    ::is highly amused::

I love Xan and Qui's sense of sarcastic humor. Keep up the good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.