main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Nor the Moon by Night (Qui/Obi vignette) replies 7/17

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    I'm twenty-two today! ::does happy dance:: And in the grand tradition of hobbits everywhere, I present a gift for you. I just hope it isn't a mathom. "Unchosen" chapter coming tomorrow.

Title: Nor the Moon by Night
    Author: Maychorian
    Summary: The night may pass, but sometimes it lingers, hiding out in deep shadows and waiting to pounce on the unwary. Once again Qui-Gon realizes this lesson, and tries to show Obi-Wan how to carry a light.
    Timeframe: JA ? Obi-Wan is 15 or so
    Category: Angst
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Notes: I?m stealing bunnies. This was just one in a long list dianethx gave LuvEwan. It wouldn?t leave me alone. Blame the bunny for begging to be snitched. I?m sure LE?s version is quite different, and I?m very much looking forward to reading it. (And I hope she forgives me for writing this first.)
    Disclaimer: Mine mine mine! All mine! Not yours! . . . Whoops, there goes my crazy voice again. Pay no attention to that little fibber.

Nor the Moon by Night

Qui-Gon opened his eyes, instantly awake, and stared straight up at the ceiling invisible in the blackness. Something was wrong.

It was a not a shriek of warning, of imminent danger, so much as it was a shiver of unease, fear, terror, of deep dread whispering a dim undercurrent through the Force. Not for Qui-Gon, but for another. The Jedi Master sat up and swung his legs over the side of his bed, reflexively rubbing at his eyes, causing blobs and blurs of red and orange to burst on his non-existent vision.

It didn?t do a thing to increase his ability to see in this warren. The Judza, the sentient race of Pyritia, lived underground in winding, twisting tunnels sometimes relieved by skylights above, but more often lit only by widely-spaced halogen torches and globes. It was a unique, duskly-illuminated culture, adapted to living in enormous family groups, with great closeness and clannishness and much wordless communication between twitching whiskers, ears, and ruffling fur. Qui-Gon rather liked it, even though each clan, being extremely close-knit and turned inward, seemed to have ongoing feuds with every other clan on the planet. That?s why they had called for a Jedi team to negotiate a land treaty between three different factions. Or was it four?

He was aware that Obi-Wan might not like it quite so much. Rather, he?d been keeping an eye on the Padawan ever since their arrival on Pyritia. Their last mission had been very rough on the youth, and Qui-Gon wanted nothing to interfere with his recovery from that bad experience. But Obi-Wan didn?t seem to feel even the slight twinge of claustrophobia that Qui-Gon had felt, and had expected to notice in his apprentice. The young man seemed to be handling it all with amazing aplomb, and the Master was impressed by how quickly and completely he had bounced back. Checking the bond now, he felt only the usual medium shielding Obi-Wan erected before letting sleep take him.

All seemed to be well. So what had wakened him?

Was that a glimmer at the corner of his eye? For a moment Qui-Gon thought his eye-rubbing had actually made a difference in his ability to see. No, it was a very faint light glowing sporadically under the door, probably down the hall in these small guest quarters. It was too dim to see by, but Qui-Gon didn?t need to see in order to get around. The Master let the Force guide him as he rose and padded softly to the door, let it lead him around the sparse, low-built furnishings of his small bed chamber. It had been years since he had stubbed a toe in the dark, and he had no desire to begin again now.

Qui-Gon opened the rounded doorway and peered out, blinking like a large-eyed nightbird in the gloaming light. Only one globe seemed to be lit, around the corner of the gently curving tunnel. The Master walked toward it, then passed it, as well as the door of the refresher, and found Obi-Wan standing at the edge of the sphere of radiance.

The boy had not noticed his approach. He was standing in front

2. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Happy 22nd Life-Day, May! [:D]

>>??Fear not, for the Force is with thee. Fear not the pestilence in the morning nor the arrow at midday. The sun shall not smite thee by day nor the moon by night. Walk through the waters, and thou shalt not be drowned. Walk through the fire, and thou shalt not be burned. Fear not, for thou art never alone.??>>>

Lovely verse. Poor Obi, still caught in the throes of his last mission...Qui was so much the tower of strength. Great.

>>>No, his Padawan, his son, was not too old to be afraid of the dark. And he was not too old to need his Master?s presence now and then. Qui-Gon?s bed was plenty big enough for two.>>>

Awww...[face_love] Cute piece!

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Happy b-day again!

Awwww [face_love] Mush! [face_batting] Wonderful job there my Padawan! [:D]

Loved it! Loved the phrase Qui quoted to Obi to help him ease his fears. It will take time, but in that time he will learn to let go :D

Great work! Poor Obi :( I'm glad he opened up to Qui :D Cuz only then could he help. :D

4. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh, I think I'm going to gush here!

That was soooo sweet, may. I loved the creative setting of the warren, and how it brought back those darker memories for Obi-Wan. You've painted Qui-Gon as the perfectly compassionate Jedi Master, and the little saying he tells his Padawan is beautifully written.

Wonderful job, and most of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! @};-

5. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Absolutely beautiful [face_love] [face_love]

And happy birthday, too! A toast to Maychorian! May your writing never stop! Cheers![face_coffee]

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    *sigh* I felt so much for Obi-Wan and was so in love with the way Qui-Gon handled it, empathizing.

7. meg_an2006

meg_an2006 Jedi Knight

Mar 4, 2005
    Aww this was a wonderful little story. I love the mush! You can tell Qui-Gon cares very deeply for Obi-Wan. Also Happy Birthday!

8. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Ah, it's lovely, May. You've done a beautiful job of crafting their relationship -- it's so tender and warm.

And Happy Birthday! Many happy returns!

9. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    Brillant! Lovely! Should I say it again? Can't get enough of that mush. [face_love] And oh... Happy Birthday to you CHA-CHA-CHA!!! Happy Birthday to you CHA-CHA-CHA!!! Happy Birthday dear MAY! Happy Birthday to you CHA-CHA-CHA!!! :D @};- [:D]

10. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Happy Birthday Maychorian!!! [face_love] [:D]
    That was such a lovely little viggie! :D Ahhh, mush in the morning always brightens the rest of my day, thank you! And that was such a lovely verse, Qui is such a great, mushy Master. I'm glad poor Obi has a Master like that, with everything that keeps happening to the poor kid. Thanks again for the awesome present! :D

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, that was so lovely, mushy, sweet and thoroughly satisfying. I loved that Qui-Gon realized that just because Obi-Wan wasn't physically hurt, didn't mean he wasn't hurt. I loved the flow of it, the subtlety of their relationship. Beautifully done.

I'm glad you stole the plotbunny. Maybe LE will let you have a few more! Bravo. =D=

12. NomiJinn

NomiJinn Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2004
    Happy Birthday maychorian[:D] Hope you have a lovely day and thanks for the beautiful story.

13. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Wonderful Happy Birthday story
    What a beautiful loving father Qui is

@};- [face_good_luck]

14. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    That was such a sweet little viggie [face_love]

I had just enough time on my lunch break to read it.

Loved the little ball of light idea. Very original. And of course - so nice to have Qui carry him back to his own room to keep an eye on him.

Oh and btw - did you get your blue jello birthday cake? :D

--shan

15. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I really enjoyed how you showed the relationship and the love between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in how he was able to help his padawan through such a traumatic time.

Lovely @};-

16. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Happy sweet mushy mush :)

17. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Only had time to read part of it. *grumbles* I hate being tired. But from what I saw... WOW! Very sweet mush. I simply loved it.

18. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Wonderfully written! I could see it all so clearly in my mind. :) And the emotions that Obi-Wan was feeling in regard to the dark I can definitely relate to. ;) I liked how Qui-Gon didn't guage his padawan's reactions based on age or maturity, that he realizes that these things can affect people at any stage of development.

19. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    ithesock Lovely verse.

Thank you! It's mostly inspired/copied from the Bible, specifically the latter half of Isaiah. I felt slightly sacreligious, using it that way, but it's beautiful language.

Kynstar I'm glad he opened up to Qui Cuz only then could he help.

Yeah, I've learned that lesson quite thoroughly over the past year. :) It's almost become cliche, but it's true--you have to talk if you want to heal.

LuvEwan That was soooo sweet, may. I loved the creative setting of the warren, and how it brought back those darker memories for Obi-Wan.

:::relieved grin::: :D Glad you liked it. Dare I hope for the same bunny from your pov some fine day? It was Obi-Wan is afraid of the dark. Such a simple idea, but so fraught with possibilities!

River_Stone A toast to Maychorian! May your writing never stop! Cheers!

::gracious bow:: Thank you! I somehow doubt it will.

DarthIshtar I felt so much for Obi-Wan and was so in love with the way Qui-Gon handled it, empathizing.

Good. :D Glad you enjoyed it!

meg_an2006 I love the mush!

Glad to hear it! I didn't exactly pour it on, but it's pretty strong, isn't it? Every once in a while I just need to write one of these fics that have no purpose but to require a little Master/Padawan mushiness.

lindemacil You've done a beautiful job of crafting their relationship -- it's so tender and warm.

Thank you! I love writing with these two. They are my favorite Jedi, and pretty much my favorite people, come to think of it.

LilQui-Gon Happy Birthday to you CHA-CHA-CHA!!!

[face_laugh] Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Bastet I'm glad poor Obi has a Master like that, with everything that keeps happening to the poor kid.

:D Amen to that. Obi needs his mushy Master.

dianethx I loved that Qui-Gon realized that just because Obi-Wan wasn't physically hurt, didn't mean he wasn't hurt.

Thanks. :) That was important to me. A lot of angst/obi-torture focuses on the physical, but the truth is that emotional or mental wounds are much more painful and more difficult to heal. That's my cup of tea. [face_coffee]

NomiJinn Hope you have a lovely day and thanks for the beautiful story.

You're welcome! It was lovely day, full of sugar and cake and a wonderful movie called Batman Begins. :D

Gkilkenny What a beautiful loving father Qui is

:D Absolutely. That's my Qui.

shanobi Oh and btw - did you get your blue jello birthday cake?

:D I did indeed. It was very tasty. I think we should have that cake more than once a year. Like, at least once a month.

Glad you liked the ball of light. I'm sure it isn't original--it just seemed like the right thing for Qui to show Obi at this time.

LadyPadme I really enjoyed how you showed the relationship and the love between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in how he was able to help his padawan through such a traumatic time.

Thanks for taking time to read this little story! And thanks for all the effort you've been putting in lately. Believe me, we notice.

PadawanKitara Happy sweet mushy mush

:D It's always tasty, isn't it? Mmmmm, mush.

VadersMistress WOW! Very sweet mush. I simply loved it.

[face_laugh] Thanks! Sometimes I get a little self-conscious about writing so much mush. But you people just encourage me.

Bekah_K I liked how Qui-Gon didn't guage his padawan's reactions based on age or maturity, that he realizes that these things can affect people at any stage of development.

Thanks! Qui-Gon is a wise man. Even adults can get scared of the dark if the circumstances are right. ;)

Thanks for the reviews and good wishes, everybody! I had a lovely birthday. I don't feel twenty-two, though--I'm such a kid at heart.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I hdidn't miss your birthday, but I missed this lovely gift you gave us. That was so incredibly heart warming. Talk about warm fuzzies!!! You just can't go wrong with Qui/Obi mush!

21. PadawanEstel

PadawanEstel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....
    I dislike not being able to acess the internet- I miss so many wonderful stories. And wonderful people's birthdays.
    Happy (belated) Birthday, May! @};-

?Thank you, Master.? Obi-Wan again turned his head to lean on Qui-Gon?s chest, letting his eyes drift shut. ?You always make it better. I?m glad you?re here.?

awwww...
    :D :_| [face_love] [:D]
    Doesn't he, though?

22. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Happy belated birthday, maychorian! [:D]

That was such a sweet, nice story. I'm 17, and I'm still scared of the dark, so I know a bit how Obi-Wan felt. :p The ball of light was a really cool idea, and the verse was lovely. And the ending...awww! [face_love]

23. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    Happy happy birthday!
    Happy happy happy happy birthday!
    Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy hap--

Oops, sorry. Got a little carried away!

What a lovely ficlet. So mushy-sweet, so adorable, and yet it's not overdoing it. You did a beauiful job, May. And here I am wishing I could give you something in return... I mean, the hobbits' tradition is all well and good, but most of us around here aren't hobbits! Um, very happy b-day (again) and thank you... *Wishes to come up with something more creative but fails miserably*

24. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Happy belated birthday! [:D]

Very sweet and beautiful! I loved it. [face_love]

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderfully written, beautiful mush! [face_love]

I loved it! Qui and Obi are... words fail me! I'll just say [:D] [face_love]

Lovely work, maychorian!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.