main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Map (JA, Obi/Qui) - *Part II updated, 29/11*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Title: The Map
    Author: Princess_Arulmozhi
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Obi and Qui. (You think I'd write about anyone else?). Oh yeah, an OC.
    Genre: Not mystery per se...in this story, 'the map' is something else altogether.
    Summary: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon go through yet another strange experience.
    Notes: A huge note at the end of the fic. I'd give too much away if I posted it now.

Random Explanation: I don't know why, but this really weird plot-bunny bit me...and I simply wrote it down. Yes, well. [And I'm still wondering what made me write it.]

The Map

?Walking, is a very beneficial exercise,? Qui-Gon had once quoted.

The quote had been in answer to the Se?leklat negotiator?s rather bald remark about the importance of ?activity? in daily life?as in getting from one?s seat, walking up and down stairs, and the like. Obi-Wan, standing behind his master, swathed head to toe in brown robes, had concealed a smile. It had been quite obvious that though wishing to appear very knowledgeable, the negotiator had little idea about the enormity of Jedi disciplines.

Qui-Gon?s remark, however bland it may have been, was not an idle one, he knew. Obi-Wan?s earlier years had been spent with him as the student, and his master the teacher?they complemented each other very well in temperament, battle prowess, and even in Force senses?but one was still young, the other, old.

And then, abruptly, the gap had been bridged.

He even remembered the day it had happened: his seventeenth naming day had passed three weeks ago; he had been spared an afternoon of grueling training and a concentrated dose of Alderaanian Peace Treaties. He had elected to spend the day walking?and Qui-Gon had joined him. Together they had walked, walked and walked; up stairs, down dark passages, into garden paths, and through meditation rooms. Many noticed them; they had seen none, each involved in thoughts and speech.

He still thought those hours the most precious he had known?for these were the hours in which Qui-Gon had ceased to be a master, always instructing, teaching, guiding. Instead, he had shaken off the mystery that surrounded him like a cloak, and had chosen to be what he had always yearned for?Qui-Gon Jinn, human being. A man of wide experience, adventures and one need not add, quirks.

There had certainly been occasions before this, when he had seen glimpses of the man his master was?but this was the first time the doors had been thrown open, so to speak. He had spoken to the man within, rather than the Jedi. And in return, he chose to honour the disclosure with one of his own--he was no longer a mere student, he had morphed into a privileged confidante.

It would be many hours before Obi-Wan realized that they had actually spent two hours simply walking round and round the Se'lhe training sallé?and had not stepped out of the Temple's confines at all.

That walk was the first of many that followed. In each they took to exploring a part of Coruscant that was little visited - sometimes, the lower levels- places that few acknowledged existed, to higher levels in which lived creatures to whom life was nothing but one unending, luxurious journey. They watched, sometimes silent and sometimes vocal, were invariably focussed, discussed the Code, conversed about life-forms, exchanged opinions about politicians, engaged in vociferous debates, raves and rants?during these sessions, there need be no reserves?and allowed the one to glimpse whatever the other wished to see. It was this last that Obi-Wan delighted in the most; he was aware that Qui-Gon shared his sentiments.

Their sojourns had the effect of unshackling them from the Temple or mission-imposed rigid discipline: they chuckled wryly, threw sly grins at each other, waggled hands, indulged in impromptu demonstrations. They laughed at instances of humour, gave themselves up to the sarcasm and dry wit that seemed characteristic of life in the lower levels, lost themselves in pla

2. ari_stormset

ari_stormset Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2005
    -.0 Intriguing...o_O

WOuld you please PM me when you post the next part? [face_praying] Pleeeeease?

Peace, and keep writing!~ Ari.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can't wait to read more! [face_dancing] A great start!

4. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Oh... very interesting...

Just how do you create these amazing pieces so quickly?

Lovely, lovely work! :)

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001

This looks like another fun ride. Hurray for the little bunny that came calling :)

6. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh, that was a wonderful start. I loved the explanation of their walks, and the forchin-teller. And of course, you present the relationship between Master and Padawan perfectly. I can't wait for more--so hurry up. :D

7. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, I just love how you write Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon becoming good friends, not just master and student. That makes me feel very warm inside.

Intriguing "forchin" teller you have here. :D I take that your title refers more to the life-map of Obi's hand? Can't wait for the continuation!

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I really loved that they were walking into friendship, more than just Padawan and Master. A lifetime link it could have been.

I thought it rather amusing that Qui-Gon is teaching Obi-Wan a life lesson about making judgements while amusing them both. Hope that the amusement doesn't morph into a true future's tale.

Great job.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Other than worrying over what the fortune teller may impart... this is such a delightly fun little tale. The idea of them walking together, side by side and shedding their normal master/apprentice roles is such a rare sight and getting Obi-Wan's insight of getting a peek at the 'man' that Qui-Gon is is wonderful. I look forward to the next piece.

10. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    Oh, Master! @};-

Another wonderful start... and you have me hooked already.

This was fantastic. Double-plus good.

I loved that the two of them could just walk... and walk... and walk... without really needing to do anything. It kinda sounds like me and my friends. That was perfect.

But that fortune teller has my senses tingling. I'm not quite sure why though...

So I suppose only one more thing remains....

Oh, more soon please Master? Please???

Your Paddy,
    Seven

11. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great start! :D I liked the two cloaking themselves and walking abroad :D Gives us what the folks are like :)

Yeah... this fortune teller guy has me a wondering... Can't wait to find out what he has to say! :D

edit: forgot to say I like their interaction with each other :) (Qui & Obi)

12. masterobiwankenobi

masterobiwankenobi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    very interesting so far. :) i liked the way qui and obi spent time together just walking. :) i'll be waiting for more.

Peggy 8-}

13. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I love the relationship between Qui and Obi, especially how they act more as equals on their walks. Love their banter too. :)

I wonder what the fortune-teller thought he saw.

Great job! Can't wait to see more.

14. JediVeloJinn

JediVeloJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2003
    Princess A,

All of your fics are absolutely brilliant!! I hope that you never dismiss something because you think it's weird.

I might come back and make this reply a little better, but the first things in my head are:
    1 Yippeee!! a fic by Princess A!
    2 I liked Obi's hidden smile
    3 I got a little confused by the description of the walk. The first was all around the Temple, so how did they spend 2 hours in 1 training salle? Or did I read it wrongly and you meant walk around the training salle? Now I'm confusing myself :p

~Velo

15. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Suddenly, he dropped the padawan's hand and turned to his curious audience. ?Yer want yer perdictions??

Hmmm, what has he seen? The true future, or only part of it? I like the way Obi-Wan was so skeptical of his skills, and I can't help but think that Qui-Gon is about to become alot less light-hearted if he hears what the fortune-teller has to say. Will Qui-Gon get his fortune read, I wonder?

Excellent work again, my dear. The characters are perfect, the dialogue sublime.

I wait eagerly for the next part [face_love]

16. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Oh, I'm hooked. This is fascinating.

17. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    The only magic I sense here so far, dear lady, is the magical powess of FORESHADOWING!!

::Cue lightning and thunder::

::Cue dark music::

Oh, how very evil of you, Princess, leaving us all hanging like that. I do hope you plan on updating soon!

My favorite segment:

<<He felt, rather than saw Qui-Gon?s amused approval. ?Matching wits with me, are you??

?I wouldn?t presume to, Master.? And he gave a slight bow.

?Indeed.?
    >>

((Sorry the review sucks major eggs. I'm nearly dead. BUT CAMP IS OVER! YESSSSSSS!))

18. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    I really enjoyed the way you capture the close relationship of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in this fic, and their duel of words over the "pleasures of gullibility"!

Please PM me when you post more of The Master Apprentice Pathway! [face_batting]

19. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I'd like to be notified when this is updated. It's interesting, to say the least.

20. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Wow. I'd no idea this had fallen so far behind. <dusts fic> Cough! I managed to get a transition post on it, though. It was written on the spur of the moment...but anyway, its a story that's close to my heart. So...um.

Replies now:

ari_stormset: Thank you. :)

VaderLVR64: [:D] Thanks!

sheleigh: As it so hapopens, I took too much time over this one - but I'll try to wrap it up soon. :)

PadawanKitara: Lol. Thanks, PK.

LuvEwan: More coming up now. :) Glad you liked it.

maychorian:The life map refers to Obi's hand...or maybe something else altogether. :D

dianethx: As to what the lesson exactly is - that'll come up, soon. Thanks, m'lady. :)

Healer_Leona: You make my day, dear HL. I knew you'd love Obi seeing Qui for who he really is. :) Thank you.

My dear padawan: I'm missing your presence on the boards, you know. I wish you'd finish that dratted essay or whatever, and come back soon. [:D]

Kyn: Thanks, m'dear. Glad you like. :)

masterobiwankenobi: Welcome, And thank you. :)

Jedi_Tigris: What the Fortune-teller saw - hey, nice title fo a fic. :D Seriously, he saw...something.
    Thanks for reading!

JediVeloJinn: I ought to have expalined the walk better, I think. I meant that their salle walk and the other Temple walk were two separate expeditions. Loved the way you liked things. :D I'm flattered. thank you, dear.

River_Stone : I haven't seen you a long while either. And I hope I see you soon. Thanks so much for the kind words, dear one.

raisedbywolves : Thank you. :)

Fluff-Slayer: Foreshadowing is always interesting, ain't it? :D Thanks, dear.

Star_Drifter : Ah, my dear lady. I'm so glad you liked this stuff. ;) Thanks.

-Darksaber- : Interesting? Thank you. :)

Transition post up.

II

Having once walked out into the open, it was now not conceivable that they should retreat behind their Force-cloaks; neither Qui-Gon nor Obi-Wan attempted it. Instead, each worked on playing down their presence by wrapping themselves up in their robes, and standing quietly in a corner, waiting for the Calenian crowds to diminish.

This, understandably, took quite a while. Once roused, the Calenians took great delight in plying the ?forchin-teller? with questions. Most were vociferous, clamouring for attention every alternate minute, while their children threaded their impatient and curious way around their elders. Their questions, Obi-wan noticed, tended to center around prospects of wealth and gems?although popular report, their own dispositions, and history alike indicated that they had little chance of possessing either.

He touched the Force slightly, wondering if Qui-Gon had been serious in his intention of staying behind. The latter stood silent, wrapped in his cloak?it did not appear that he wished to talk, and Obi-Wan retreated into his own thoughts. His Master had been known to humour certain of the beings they met?but they were Jedi, after all, and aside from observation, he was not quite sure of what an extended session with a fortune?teller might hold in store for them.

Minutes later, he felt a brief touch from Qui-Gon and looked up to see the Calenian hordes depleting. The fortune-teller, he had noticed, had taken great care not to bestow any attention on them, instead catering to his unruly fortune-seekers exclusively. He yelled and shrieked, waggled hands, stood up, stomped about, and played up to his audience, delivering loud and startling pronouncements. His predictions ranged anywhere from huge treasure-troves to dozens of beautiful, wealthy mates to whoever asked for it; he prophesied enormous good health and prosperity for everyone from the haggard woman in a corner to a vibrant child right in front of him, unstinting in distributing future wealth to everyone. He also made sure that his statements were neither so blatantly untrue as to be unbelievable

21. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Curiouser and Curiouser....
    Very intriguing, I can't wait to see what happens- I want to see what qui will do to!
    More soon? [face_praying]

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Very interesting. That he wanted Qui-Gon's birthday and where they were both from. Interesting too that they were both from the same planet.... coincidence. Knowing you, I think not.

Great job. I've very curious.

23. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    It does make a bit of sense that they'd be from the same planet, considering the similiarity of their names. :D Please, more, soon?

24. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    *raises eyebrows* "Curiouser and curiouser," indeed...I eagerly await your next post. Born on the same planet, hmm? And Obi-Wan didn't know? Simply by virtue of physical characteristics I wouldn't say that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are related, but who knows? Anything is possible. Especially in fanfic. *grins*

25. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    ~bounces onto the board with a plate full of double chocolate chip cookies~

Anyone want cookies???

At anyrate, let's move on shall we?

My oh My Master, talk about a wonderful way to end off the day when I just finished all of my monsterous assignments! Essays done, and only one more test to write, meaning that I have more than enough time to wish and wander about the boards.

Now this was just wonderful! Spectacular! And better than Paradise Lost that my nasty sexist-against-men english teacher is making us read.

The interaction between the two of them was wonderous! Nothing can compare. I simply love the way that you write our two favorite Jedi!

But thier from the same planet???!!! Where did that come from?

And thier fortune teller looks like a pro working a scam to me.

More soon please Master,
    Ever your little one (even through nasty exams and essays),
    Seven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.